Edit created date

ChuckChuckBoBuck

Idea

21 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DreamWorks said:

I also would like the ability to overwrite the created date, or the ability to update a new "custom date" which might default to the created date. 

I have loaded several hundred old documents / letters etc. into Evernote, and would like to be able to sort the notes within each notebook by their true date rather than the date I loaded them.  I'd prefer not to cannibalize the subject as a workaround.

Depends what device you're using - on a desktop it's quite easy to overfwrite the created date:  just click the " i " icon,  click the created date line,  and use the calendar date (and time) picker to set the date you prefer.  It is easy,  but it's several clicks and a bit of effort to wind the calendar back to my chosen period - and it will default back to the current date for my next record.  Hundreds of documents will take a long time.

Your other (and much quicker) choices are to use tags,  titles or embedded keywords,  or to rely on Evernote's OCR and search functions and make sure the key date(s) are shown clearly on the front of each document in such a way that they stand out from any other date information.  You could get a stamp or print some labels with your initials or a unique keyword,  and write the date verfy clearly on the same spot.  A search for DW and 20160103 should find the document labelled with that date.

I prefer titles - I use a text expander to give me dates,  so I can set it up to generate dates within a close range and change them by hand where necessary.  YMMV.

If you find another way to do this,  please share!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

DreamWorks, I believe you are on the correct track. My theory is that personal software should accurately reflect the user's desires. 

I am a strong advocate of editing the Created Date to indicate the actual date of the event or topic, not the date I happened to enter the information.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  I have exactly the same problem when scanning several documents in my ScanSnap/ Windows setup.  In my case I could edit the creation date of each note,  but my process is to batch scan to folder,  manually OCR the scans,  then move the files into Evernote.  I don't want to go back and edit each note individually.

So I have a keypress macro set up to deliver the date in one press (well,  Ctrl+key) as 20161020 which I can add to the filename while the document is saved in my folder.  I can quickly edit that backwards (or forwards) if the important date for this document is not today,  and searches for 'intitle:201610..' can find a day / week / month's worth of documents without any problem.

Not saying that's better than your system,  but it is an option...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, ChuckChuckBoBuck said:

Would love to be able to edit notes created date in iOS. I scan my notes and don't always scan them on the dates I write them and like to have the date created and the note date match for sorting purposes.

I up voted

There is a theory that Created Date is the date the note is created, and should not be changed.

There is a Subject Date field, but we can't update that either.

As per @gazumped, I put the subject date into the title

I also would like the ability to overwrite the created date, or the ability to update a new "custom date" which might default to the created date. 

I have loaded several hundred old documents / letters etc. into Evernote, and would like to be able to sort the notes within each notebook by their true date rather than the date I loaded them.  I'd prefer not to cannibalize the subject as a workaround.

Thank you. Although I do have a MacBook, I mostly use my iPad and iPhone with Evernote. Consequently, I hadn't realised it was possible to change the dates in the desktop version. I've just done that for one notebook, and now it gives me exactly what I wanted in terms of a view sorted by original date. I can chip away at this over time to one-time correct other notebooks.  

I'm sure I'll try the other tips for other purposes too at some point.  

Thanks again for the helpful reply!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 6/26/2017 at 2:13 PM, DreamWorks said:

Although I do have a MacBook, I mostly use my iPad and iPhone with Evernote

You're all set then;
Unfortunately other users are limited to the other platforms and don't have access to change the creation date
I still add my vote to these requests

Also, I encourage you to explore the Mac Evernote features.  
You'll find it a more rewarding environment than ipad/iphone
My workflow is to collect notes in my inbox during the day with my iPad, and finalize on my Mac

I had actually decided not to port old "analog" notes into Evernote because it did not look like I could change the created date.  Thankful to know how now.

On 6/26/2017 at 3:38 PM, gazumped said:

just click the " i " icon,  click the created date line,  and use the calendar date (and time) picker to set the date you prefer. 

...as an update, on my Mac desktop version, there is no " i " icon anymore.  There is the ••• (three dots) in the corner.  Click on that and then click "Note details".

• Like 1

Hello Yes PLEASE !!!!!

I have been asking for being able to edit the create date on the IPad.

Not having this option is stupid for my workflow and currenlty makes me not use the iPad for evernote.

I try to have all my documents in evernote, with the creation date set to the Original document date, which is totally different from the date the document was introduced into Evernote.

In Windows, I edit the create date to align to the Original document date (date as printed on the invoice, proposal, etc)

This works good in the web app and in the windows app.

Common Evernote, please add this to the ios app as well

Gerard

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, GerardT said:

In Windows, I edit the create date to align to the Original document date (date as printed on the invoice, proposal, etc)

I leave Create Date as the date the note was created.

On my Mac, I store "Original Document date" in the Subject Date field; using a script.

Since Evernote makes accessing this field so difficult, I store a copy in the Note Title (prefix).  I also append a copy of the metadata to the note contents.

This was also discussed here 

On 10/20/2016 at 11:17 AM, DTLow said:

There is a theory that Created Date is the date the note is created, and should not be changed.

In general, I agree, but I am fighting this right now. I have a set of notes that are sorted by created date, going back many years. Today I edited an entry from yesterday by adding an attachment that made the note too big. I immediately removed the attachment so that the note size is currently maybe 7 MB (containing five paragraphs of text and two photos), but the information says the note size is 406.3 MB and it refuses to sync. I tried duplicating the note, hoping the duplicate would be the correct size, but it also claims to be 406.3 MB and refuses to sync. I copied the contents to a new note and intended to change the create date of the new note to the old note’s creation date (yesterday), only to learn that I cannot change the new note’s creation date to yesterday when using the iPad. Now I am stuck waiting until I am back in the office on Monday so that I can edit the creation date with the MacBook. Right now this seems like a silly restriction.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Not an iOS user at any level,  but if you can use a text expander app it's easy to create a date 'stamp' with as much or as little time data as necessary.  I use Windows and Phrase Express to title my notes with the correct date for their content.  It's possible to be far more creative than I usually bother with - my stamp starts out as today's date - 20190920 - and gets edited to suit.  Putting that at the front of the title means that if you sort a series of notes,  they're easy to move into the correct sequence.  Putting an edited version into the body of a note at least means you can search for a specific date with confidence.

• Level 5

I estimate that I change at least 75% of all created dates (to reflect the actual correct date).

* Scanned receipts always get a revised created date 
* Future appointments
* Past activities, including vacation summaries
* Genealogy information
* Medical notes
* Even web-captures that involve past or future political events

All done on Evernote Windows.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

I estimate that I change at least 75% of all created dates (to reflect the actual correct date).

Are you storing Subject Date by using the Created Date field?  I use the Subject Date field.
As per @gazumped, I also store Subject Date as a prefix to the note title; useful for sorting and editable on all platforms.

I default Subject Date to current date (script); under 10% require adjustment (I clear my inbox daily)

>>Future appointments

I also use Reminder Date and sync to my calendar app

>>All done on Evernote Windows.

No issue editing the Created Date field on Windows/Mac.  
Not possible on IOS - hence the request,  I upvoted

I've only been able to edit the Subject Date field on my Mac

23 hours ago, gazumped said:

Not an iOS user at any level,  but if you can use a text expander app it's easy to create a date 'stamp' with as much or as little time data as necessary.  I use Windows and Phrase Express to title my notes with the correct date for their content.  It's possible to be far more creative than I usually bother with - my stamp starts out as today's date - 20190920 - and gets edited to suit.  Putting that at the front of the title means that if you sort a series of notes,  they're easy to move into the correct sequence.  Putting an edited version into the body of a note at least means you can search for a specific date with confidence.

I did not realize until now that there was a way to sort by title. All of these notes are titled with the date in sort order, e.g. 2019 09 21. That certainly fixes this issue for me, yet leaves me wondering why the iOS version of EN kept this capability out of the software.

• Level 5*
On 9/21/2019 at 8:26 AM, martyscholes said:

yet leaves me wondering why the iOS version of EN kept this capability out of the software.

It's just a question of priorities for limited development resources

>>...sort by title. All of these notes are titled with the date in sort order, e.g. 2019 09 21.

The sequence works for CE dates (Common/Current Era)

I use a simple number prefix for nonCE dates; for example;

• 1783/01/01 Timeline [American revolutionary war ends]
  • 0000.50.55  Timeline [2200 years ago  Completion of Stonehenge]
  • 0000.50.50  Timeline [490BCE  Battle of Marathon: Greek city-states defeat ...]
  • 0000.10.50  Timeline [66 million years ago   Dinosaur Extension]

👍 This idea is worthy of being dusted off and added to the backlog.

I too use Evernote as my filing cabinet and rely upon the created date when sorting, filtering and searching. An accurate created date is important metadata especially when scanning in dated documents, invoices/bills/financials.

• Level 5*

I file documents on their creation date,  but rarely get the opportunity to do that in real time.  It's much easier to add the date to the title as above.  My typical titles are:

<date> (yyymmdd) - <type> (letter / bill / statement) - <source> (name of originator) - <keywords> (anything that seems relevant)

If Amazon (forinstance) sends me several emails related to one purchase,  they'll be linked together by using the order number as a keyword.  I can sort the emails into a timeline by using the titles.

This particular topic has been silent for four years,  so it's not exactly a popular feature request though there is another thread here somewhere,  and I think the best suggestion there was for a new date field.  Messing with creation dates is bad database practice if only some of them are genuine, and some are edited.  The fact that it used to be possible is not a justification for continuing the practice!