How do I remove the "Evernotes Essentials" pop up display?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, odin1701 said:

This pops up every time I open the program, even though I'm closing it.

I'm attaching a screenshot.  How do I get this to go away?  I don't need it and don't want it wasting screen space.

Which platform - I don't recall seeing this

Windows.  Today I get something different though.  Which I also don't want.  I just need to know how to turn off all this *****.  I didn't get these until I had to upgrade to a new version since my laptop was reimaged.

morecrap.png

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, odin1701 said:

Windows.  Today I get something different though.  Which I also don't want.  I just need to know how to turn off all this *****.  I didn't get these until I had to upgrade to a new version since my laptop was reimaged.

You really need a Windows user in this discussion.

All I can suggest is maybe a "Tips" checkbox in your settings

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You really need a Windows user in this discussion.

All I can suggest is maybe a "Tips" checkbox in your settings

I've turned off the notifications in settings, doesn't appear to be any other thing to disable.

• Level 5

I've got the latest Evernote Windows program, and have been through several upgrades of it. I haven't seen anything like this. But when you say this only started when you had to upgrade to a new version, what exactly was that process?

Searching around in https://help.evernote.com/, I found that there is an e-book called Evernote Essentials by a guy named Brett Kelley: https://brettkelly.org/evernote-essentials/. It's a 3-tiered paid thing, so I don't know whether you could have somehow signed up for it by accident, but it might be worth trying to figure out if that is it. E.g., check your credit card statement for a charge from there.

1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I've got the latest Evernote Windows program, and have been through several upgrades of it. I haven't seen anything like this. But when you say this only started when you had to upgrade to a new version, what exactly was that process?

Searching around in https://help.evernote.com/, I found that there is an e-book called Evernote Essentials by a guy named Brett Kelley: https://brettkelly.org/evernote-essentials/. It's a 3-tiered paid thing, so I don't know whether you could have somehow signed up for it by accident, but it might be worth trying to figure out if that is it. E.g., check your credit card statement for a charge from there.

Well by upgrade I mean I downloaded the latest version from evernote.com and installed it.  I also found that e-book, but only because I tried googling this problem, I certainly did not sign up for anything of the sort.

2 minutes ago, Austin G said:

Dismiss these notifications, then select File>Exit (not the X icon on the top right). You should not see them again. 

Yup, done that.  One or the other has kept coming back every day.  It was installed on Friday.  Today was the first day that I saw the one with the "Got It" though, and the original one didn't show up today.

I opened and closed the program several times in the last couple days trying to get them to go away but they haven't so I've posted here.  There should be an option to disable all of these types of notifications permanently.

• Ex Employees

It's to help new users navigate.  You'll see it too if you create a new account. 

They're part of a recent effort to improve our on-boarding experience. If you've been with us for a while, then these tips were likely not part of your first Evernote experience. 

Once you stop seeing these, don't ever delete the .context file in the database directory! (They'll come back) Also, the the "Evernote Essentials" thing (internally, we call it the FLE), you can forcefully dismiss it by clicking the 'X' on that section. After you've restarted the app / clicked 3 times, we stop annoying you. Or if you clip content using the web clipper - that would make you 100% complete and it won't auto show anymore. (And if you want it back, it's under "Help -> Explore Evernote") There's a bunch of weird rules in there (yeah, I was the one who had to implement it).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is a little bit of thread necromancy, but I believe I found a working solution to this issue.

Using Revo Uninstaller, do an advanced uninstall of Evernote, be sure to delete all keys in the registry (I believe there were four keys in mine that I ended up deleting). Be sure you create a system restore point, unless you're like me and you like to live dangerously.

After the program has been completely removed, restart your computer, and install the latest version of Evernote. I got the popup again at this point, but I was able to 'complete' the 5 tasks, including the syncing task. Since then, I haven't had to deal with this *incredibly irritating* bug.

I hope this helps anyone facing this issue.

• 1 month later...

HI,

I have this problem too.  I would rather not have to delete files I know nothing about, unless instructed by the support team. 

I have tried clicking through, but the 5 items do not accept a check mark so I can not complete them.  I have dismissed the whole box and restarted maybe 20 times since this started. (probably with a few updates inbetween)

@Austin G, or @dconnet can you maybe help?  I sent a ticket in last week, but have not gotten any reply than the automated one confirming they got my request.  Ticket# 2427859

Grant Nelson (paying customer)

• 9 months later...

The "Evernote Essentials" pop up is STILL an issue and its driving me mad. Been happening every time I start up Evernote for longer than I can remember (maybe 1+ years). I have uninstalled Evernote for Windows many times, 'completed' the "Evernote Essentials" pop up instructions several times, kept the software updated and gone through all the settings. It STILL appears. 

I am a paid member and have used Evernote for 10 years!!! Evernote it dropping the ball and their software (at this stage) is a mess. 

I am using Windows 10.1 with Evernote version 6.17.5.8273 (308273) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539).

This issue is also raised in the following note: 

Archived