Smartov

Customize notebook covers

Idea

With Springpad shutdown I have to say one thing that impressed me in that service: visibility and clarity.

It was not even close to Evernote in terms of features but Notebook covers and notebook designs they had helped me to navigate through notes in a much more efficient manner. I would not need to read notebook's name to understand what's inside.

Would be great to have same ability in Evernote

38 replies to this idea

I'm currently trying to decide which task management/note taking tool to use and the addition of this feature would make me 10000% for Evernote. PLEASE ADD!!

• Like 2

I downloaded the new updated evernote.  Album covers went from Brownish color with white font to a transparent grayish color with black simple font type.  HORRIBLE.  Is this everyone's experience or has something gone wrong in my update?

Always good to know what version of Evernote you're talking about - Windows / Mac / iOS / Android... ??  If you can find the release announcement for a new version in the forums,  it's usually better to add comments to that post - the developer will see them quicker than starting a random new thread.

If you were talking about the latest Mac beta forinstance,  have a look here.. https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/89664-evernote-for-mac-62-beta-4-released/

• Like 1

For the love of god, please give us an option to change the colo(u)r of our notebooks. A sea of white notebooks is terrible. 

A quick google search of "color evernote notebooks"  shows that this feature has been requested year after year after year

Its such a simple feature that will add SO much value and ease of organization.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I have a sea of notebook covers that all look the same and it's really difficult to find the right notebook.  Please allow us to, at minimum, set different colors for notebook covers, and even better, set an image as a notebook cover!

• Like 5

Hi Their,

I designate colors to folders, files, documents to be able to quickly visually locate them. A suggestion that i think that will work wonders is, being able to designate colors to notebooks, For example, lets say there is a notebook called research, and i assign a yellow color to it. So now my notebook labeled research is Yellow. I can easily locate this among all the other  notebooks.

I hope this kind a makes sense.

Cheers

Raj

• Like 4

As much as I appreciate flat design and stylish grey-in-grey colors, humans orientate themselves on colors. We're not animals who can only see the world in black and white. We happen to live in a wonderful world made of millions of colors and even designer's are using them in fashion, UX and UI. Imagine the Evernote website in 256 shades of grey! Would that be appealing to new customers? I don't think so. Giving us loyal customers the possibility to shade our folders (or even the paper we're writing down our notes) couldn't be so difficult at all. Thank you in advance!

Evernote_Colored.jpg

Evernote_Colored.png

• Like 3

Has the Evernote team never wandered into a stationery store? If so have they marvelled at the different colours and patterns of the notebooks and been befuddled? "Why would anyone want a notebook not in a plain grey colour" they must have thought to themselves as they perused the wondrous array of colours and patterns. 

It blows my mind that this is still not possible. What on earth is the problem? 

Here are screenshots from the iOS and Mac app versions of "notebook" by Soho. 

Incidentally they also allow touch-id / password protected notes. 

its-all-you@2x.jpg

And oh the colour :)

note-cards-checklist@2x.jpgnotebook-text-card.png

Let's compare this to my new Evernote page 

Screenshot 73.jpg

Magnificent isn't it.

I'm sorry for the sarcasm but it's so frustrating to see a company with as many resources as Evernote's be overtaken because of a flat refusal to allow such simple customisations. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, bongobong said:

I'm sorry for the sarcasm but it's so frustrating to see a company with as many resources as Evernote's be overtaken because of a flat refusal to allow such simple customisations. 

If you want to use sarcasm, then own it and don't apologize. If you need fancy notebook covers, then use SOHO notes. Not everyone needs that kind of glitz. I'd be curious as to your claim that SOHO is overtaking Evernote.

• Haha 1

I also whole-heartedly support this.  It's a simple UI design tweak that would improve usability immensely.  It's hardly "glitz" to simply support being able to pick a color for a notebook. 

I can pick folder colors on Mac OS X.  I can choose from hundreds of color schemes in my Unix terminal application.  I can change my desktop background so I know which one I'm on right now.  These are not frivolities, they are important usability hacks that improve my UI experience.  

Since the idea is to replace physical notebooks, why not make the notebook icons kind of look like notebooks?  As other commenters have pointed out, if you go into a stationary store there are notebooks of every size and color.   People like variety and customization.  

I'm using Version 6.10 (454269 App Store) on Mac OS X 10.11.6.  

• Like 1

I would like to add colour to my EN Notebooks. A Windows user said the following: In the desktop version just rightclick on the notebook and you will be able to change the colour. 

This does not seem to work on my mac!? Looking through this user forum it seems as if it is not possible. 

On 2017-02-27 at 0:52 PM, mchiment said:

It's hardly "glitz" to simply support being able to pick a color for a notebook. 

19 hours ago, Toralv said:

I would like to add colour to my EN Notebooks.

Colored notebooks is not a feature on the Mac platform58b729dfaaeba_ScreenShot2017-03-01at12_04_56PM.png.8bcbb3579e4a15b2c02941afe52dcbee.png

fwiw  We can add emoji to Notebook and Tag names
 I use this on my Mac/iPad)

Note the latest Notebook View is simply text

• Like 1

Agreed.  Please let us customize the notebook covers.  The notes themselves have a thumbnail view of the most recent photo added to the note (that said, it would be nice to be able to lock a primary photo to each note) - it would be great if there was an option to lock a photo to the cover instead of reading through them all.  It's not entirely about functionality - it's about being visually pleasing.  It's like having the album art available (or not) in iTunes.

• Like 1

YES! The current notebook covers are not only inefficient but uninspiring, since they're all an indistinguishable grey. You'd think it would be an easy fix to allow us to choose colors, at a minimum, or ideally upload our own designs -- especially considering it's been requested for years. 

• Like 1

I make this simple.

I guess I am a premium memeber since 2015 (if I am not mistaken). I will be leaving you people if you guys are not willing to facilitate "change book cover" feature. It is really hard to id a book at the first glance, all looks same. 

Please do not make this is my last year (with evernote). 

• Like 1

YES! The current notebook covers are not only inefficient but uninspiring, since they're all an indistinguishable grey. You'd think it would be an easy fix to allow us to choose colors, at a minimum, or ideally upload our own designs -- especially considering it's been requested for years. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Abbette said:

The current notebook covers are not only inefficient but uninspiring

Not sure how the notebooks can be inefficient593a066ac14ed_ScreenShot2017-06-08at7_19_40PM.png.aee7009926f9bfffcc0b7364a5a4df30.png

On my Mac, the notebooks are a list of names

I guess I can get inspired by adding emoticons to the notebook name

I suspect the design trend is to eliminate the Notebook cover images; skeuomorphism is so yesterday

Hi DTLow,

I'm glad you found a system that works for you. Regarding your critique of my request, I find the covers inefficient because I have to read every notebook title to find what I'm looking for. If I had the ability to color-categorize them, I'd only need to read the ones in that category, and could find what I'm looking for faster. 

And while I'm glad you're inspired by emoticons, they don't really do it for me. 

Thanks for weighing in.

• Like 1

I'm new to the game and i don't really wanna use it, if there's no style at all. OF COURSE i wanna style my own covers, grey in grey doesn't work at all!

We wanna have fun with everything we are doing!

• Like 2

I totally agree stammgast! This seems like such a straightforward request -- makes me worried that people have wanted it for years and they haven't done it. Almost feels like they've actively decided not to?

• Like 1

On 2017-06-21 at 6:50 AM, Abbette said:

Almost feels like they've actively decided not to?

Confirmed; I'm seeing the notebook covers dropped and a simple list displayed instead594a85578a88e_ScreenShot2017-06-21at07_39_24.png.f00bff8a7a5422dda6d31efbc05f535c.png

On my Mac, I add emoticons to the notebook name so they stand out

I'm the ECC in Denmark, known for its obsession with aesthetics and design, so it came as no surprise when users I work with asked 'why can't we have covers on notebooks?'

I think it's a pretty good point. The note Evernote chooses to represent the notebook 'cover' is useful but can look messy, depending on what it is.

Having a cover could be a great way to add personalisation. And if Evernote opened up the API to third parties you could get some great designers contributing.

Imagine the Nordic Range of book covers. Or the Covers Inspired By Nature. You get the idea.

Even if Evernote kept it all in-house, I think a range of covers would be neat. 

Is this something that's complex to do?

Hi,

Well then. If this is by design, I was about to buy Premium but I just decided to go to another app that is catering to people who care about design. 

Fair enough if that is not your market. Just be aware that lots of users will be flocking away because of this.

Thanks - and best of luck.

On 2017-08-07 at 2:12 PM, Ematheus said:

I was about to buy Premium

If Evernote has a $ for every user who was about to buy premium .....

this is kind of a solution/workaround.  It’s definitely a cool “hack” to achieve the desired effect, but depending upon the degree to which one wants to use this third party program, it is only free to a point.  I use it (only the free version), but probably not to the extent that I should, if I wanted to maximize its value.

19 hours ago, Echoreflection said:

this is kind of a solution/workaround.  It’s definitely a cool “hack” to achieve the desired effect

It's an interesting effect.  I noted use of the following feature elements

1. Evernote's table feature allows data to arranged in a grid
  2. A picture in each cell to represent customized covers
  3. Evernote's note link feature to point to a ToC note
  4. Evernote's Table-of-Contents feature for the note list.
    This isn't dynamic, but works for static data
  5. Third party Filterize app to keep the ToC updated to the latest list of notes
  • Like 1

@DTLow yes, that does seem to be the process order we're looking at.  Not positive, but I think Filterize can add some degree of "dynamicity" to the setup.  I believe Filterize has some kinds of workflows that can be structured around tags.  Maybe.  The IFTT app can also be utilized in ways that work with Evernote that are or are similar to automation.  I use the IFTT app and Evernote to use EN as an RSS reader.

Edited by Echoreflection
typo

I think people like their apps to have a nice, clean yet a fun look. I look at Trello, their interface is really nice. It is business-like yet you can change background colors, add photos and color code (in a sense) with the labels.

When I looked at Google Keep, I enjoyed the color coding option of the notes. I posted before about my desire to color notes and other customization options in other forums  but had not thought about the color coding of the notebooks. I think it is a good idea.

There is a reason why we use highlighters or different color pens or emergency flashers are red buttons in your cars etc. I  hope Evernote will start providing more customization options to make our Evernote systems more personable, easier to use and to our liking.

On Windows you can set the colour of the title of the database, but still that doesn't really stand out (it's better than nothing).  I'd love to be able to have all notes in a given notebook to have  a default background colour, especially in the search list (could set the background colour of each title/snippet)... this would make it really easy to distinguish the various note "types" I've filed.

(ie, Journal vs Reference notes could be different colours, active projects vs old/archived projects could also be different colours.).  I don't see this going against any clean/simplistic view, and probably already supported in the render)

On 8/30/2018 at 7:24 AM, rwagner77 said:

This guy has custom covers on his notebooks in his version. Looks like it is 5 years ago though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kad-OBBhBdM

I like the different icons and color for sure. It lets your brain to differentiate really quickly. I think it is one of the weakness of Evernote current versions (for me) is the lack of customization. You can color code and change the style of the tags and the notebooks but not the notes in the shortcuts. 

So when I look at my shortcuts, the TAGS and NOTEBOOKS jump out but I have to really pay attention to the notes that have been saved as shortcuts. 

image.png.509562c4208d4d0d7f3a9887efc6e724.png

1 hour ago, TK0047 said:

I like the different icons and color for sure. It lets your brain to differentiate really quickly.

It's true, this is an actual brain thing; not just a skeuomorphism

I suggest making use of the emoji feature in your names; for example my main notebook is Filing?

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's true, this is an actual brain thing; not just a skeuomorphism

The only think I can suggest is to make use of the emoji feature in your names; for example my main notebook is Filing?

Interesting and coincidence that you mentioned it because I've never been an emoji guy for any serious naming etc. but recently started using it for my Todoist projects and it makes a difference (at least that's how I feel)

So I started using it in my Calendar app for appointments. Now I am using it even more and I tried it in Evernote today...unfortunately on the Windows version I am on 6.7 and it does not support it. But when I eventually upgrade, I will start using more for sure.

Colors for notebooks is a great idea. Given that increasing the number of notebooks seems to be such a big deal, it never even occurred to me. On Google Drive, I color-coordinate all important folders. My critical folders are always red. When I no longer have a need for them I change the color.

8 hours ago, TK0047 said:

I've never been an emoji guy for any serious naming etc.

Same here but I started using ☎️ and ? on the beginning of the titles for my phone log templates and recurring tasks.  It would be nice if they were in color in the Windows notes lists, but they are not.  I don't think I will be adding any more though, without a good reason.  If everything is an emoji nothing is an emoji.

• Like 1