Check status of data migration to Google Cloud

logandb

• Level 5*

Hi David.  There was a comment from Evernote in another thread (don't have a link) confirming that the process has started and is expected to be complete by the end of the year..  I doubt they'll be able to identify individual accounts though.  The process is supposed to be completely transparent to users.

Edit: actually...

Yes, I remember reading that, Gaz.  I was just wondering whether I might have been able to see something different in the EN Activity Log in Windows, for example.  Interesting how it is going to be so transparent we'll even keep our assigned data shard numbers.  I suppose there must be a layer to translate all of the legacy note references for backward compatibility as well as retain the schema into the future.

Hi

From a user point of view you are not going to be able to 'see' anything related to the movement of data from our data centers to the Google Cloud platform.

We are currently writing a blog post that covers this in more detail but initially we will migrate users onto new shards that mirror the existing ones with the same shard id. Once the data has been replicated in the background we will execute the cutover from old to new shard. This cutover is expected to take around 15 minutes during which you will not be able to sync notes.

Hope this gives some insight.

Ben

• Level 5
16 hours ago, benmc said:

Hi

From a user point of view you are not going to be able to 'see' anything related to the movement of data from our data centers to the Google Cloud platform.

We are currently writing a blog post that covers this in more detail but initially we will migrate users onto new shards that mirror the existing ones with the same shard id. Once the data has been replicated in the background we will execute the cutover from old to new shard. This cutover is expected to take around 15 minutes during which you will not be able to sync notes.

Hope this gives some insight.

Ben

Thanks, Ben. Will there be a notification of the approximate time during which we'll have no sync?

Archived