Jump to content
patnpm

pdf cannot annotate original document

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this is a Sierra problem or Evernote. Running 6.9.2 and just gone to Sierra

No longer can I edit pdfs with Preview directly in evernote. Preview insists on me making a copy and saving that elsehwere.

Just about the main advantage of using a Mac for Evernote over my ipad was the ability to annotate pdfs inline. (and I don't want to use the  evernote Skitch-style pdf annotation).

This doesn't seem to be a problem with Word files. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, patnpm said:

Not sure if this is a Sierra problem or Evernote. Running 6.9.2 and just gone to Sierra

No longer can I edit pdfs with Preview directly in evernote. Preview insists on me making a copy and saving that elsehwere.

Just about the main advantage of using a Mac for Evernote over my ipad was the ability to annotate pdfs inline. (and I don't want to use the  evernote Skitch-style pdf annotation).

This doesn't seem to be a problem with Word files. 

Hi @patnpm, thanks for reporting this. 

Our developers are working with Apple on this to determine where the issue lies. For now the suggest workaround is to annotate directly in EN, or if you need to use Preview, save the new PDF to a location on the computer and then upload it back into the note.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm having a very recent problem.  As of even a couple of days ago, I would open a note that has a PDF attachment, use the Open With option to open it in Preview (I'm on Mac 10.12 and EN 6.9.2/premium), make tweaks (such as rotate) and then click Save.  I would not use Save As, rather just Save.  I could see the change immediately in EN.

As of today, when I hit save in my Preview it forces me to save it locally which is not at all what I want.  I'm not sure if this is a result of my OS update to Sierra (10.12) or if it's a recent Evernote update.  It seemed similar to older topics discussed here but I am absolutely certain that it's always worked the first way I described and only as of the past couple of days started working differently.

Does anyone know if this is something configurable or some kind of change in behavior in EN?  I hope there's a way to get back to the way it was previously. This would completely change my workflow. 

Thanks for any ideas!

Andy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just to add a "Me To" to this issue. I am pleased that it is not just me - but it is annoying. The ability to use Preview to edit in place was very useful and I really miss it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This problem appears to be specific to preview. So saving seems to work okay if you use another PDF viewer, such as Skim (which does have some advantages over preview and is also free)

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/16/2016 at 11:20 AM, BSR said:

Hi @patnpm, thanks for reporting this. 

Our developers are working with Apple on this to determine where the issue lies. For now the suggest workaround is to annotate directly in EN, or if you need to use Preview, save the new PDF to a location on the computer and then upload it back into the note.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.

I also found that a workaround is to have Skitch installed. I'm not sure if they are talking to each other or what (i'm not that technical) but since I installed the actual Skitch program it has solved the problem. I don't even have to have Skitch open and can annotate in EN. Before I installed it annotation was hit or miss since I updated. Haven't had a problem since though.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I also found that a workaround is to have Skitch installed. I'm not sure if they are talking to each other or what (i'm not that technical) but since I installed the actual Skitch program it has solved the problem. I don't even have to have Skitch open and can annotate in EN. Before I installed it annotation was hit or miss since I updated. Haven't had a problem since though.

That is really interesting, I'm going to dig into this a little to see if there's any correlation there. Thanks for pointing this out @Sayre Ambrosio!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BSR said:

That is really interesting, I'm going to dig into this a little to see if there's any correlation there. Thanks for pointing this out @Sayre Ambrosio!

I've suggested it to others and most of them have had the same result. A few have mentioned nothing is working for them. 

You are welcome. ?

Share this post


Link to post

Just to add another wrinkle to this issue. The problem with Preview and annotations occurs on my late 2009 iMac, but not on my early 2015 Macbook - both running Sierra. It smells of directory permissions. Thanks for the suggestions regarding Skim and Skitch - but I do have Skitch installed as a separate app on the iMac (where it does not work), but not on the MacBook (where it does). Will try Skim

 

Share this post


Link to post

I retract my last statement.  I could annotate a PDF and save it on my MacBook, but bot delete  page with Preview. I did install the free PDF Reader which did delete the page in place. 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm also having the same problem. PDFs can not be annotated. But unlike Sayre, it applies to both annotation with Preview and Skitch on Mac.

However, I can annotate on iPad.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Locking this topic. Please direct all discussion of this issue to this thread:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...