We’re sorry. Please update Evernote for Mac.

I've just got an email with the above title.

It tells me there is a bug in evernote for Mac causing loss of attachments and I need to download an update.

However when I go to download an update it tells me that I'm 6.9.2 and uptodate. It would be super useful for the email to tell me which number is the most uptodate version. 

Furthermore it tells me I may have lost attachments, but they can be regained by going to the note history. 

I have 18000 notes and I'd guess a half of them have attachments. Is there any way I can find out which are at risk?

A parallel post in this forum might have been a good idea.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, patnpm said:

It tells me there is a bug in evernote for Mac causing loss of attachments and I need to download an update.

However when I go to download an update it tells me that I'm 6.9.2 and uptodate. It would be super useful for the email to tell me which number is the most uptodate version. 

Furthermore it tells me I may have lost attachments, but they can be regained by going to the note history. 

I have 18000 notes and I'd guess a half of them have attachments. Is there any way I can find out which are at risk?

can you post the entire email, or import it into EN and share it? I didn't get it. Very strange.

Evernote  
We have identified a bug in some versions of Evernote for Mac that can cause images and other attachments to be deleted from a note under specific conditions. We believe you are one of a small number of people impacted by this bug.

Please update Evernote on your Mac to the latest version as soon as possible:
From the menu, go to Help > Check For Updates…
If you do not see this menu option, update through the Mac App Store or from our website
The bug can occur in the version of Evernote for Mac released in September, and less frequently in versions released since June. In these versions, certain sequences of events, such as skimming quickly through a large number of notes, can cause an image or other attachments to be deleted from a note without warning. Text in notes is not affected.

Once we identified the problem, we worked quickly to implement a solution and attempted to restore all lost data. Unfortunately, some of your attachments couldn’t be automatically restored. However, you may be able to recover your attachments using Evernote’s note history feature available through Evernote Premium.

We are giving your account one free year of Evernote Premium to make amends and give you access to priority customer support via chat or email. If you already have Premium, the gift code can be used to extend your subscription for one additional year, or banked as Points to use for later.

Redeem your code »

If you run into any difficulties redeeming your code, follow these instructions.

We understand how important your notes and attachments are, and we apologize. Again, please update your app as soon as possible to prevent any further loss of data.

The Evernote Team

Account  Products  Blog  Support 
This email has been sent to you by Evernote Corporation (or its subsidiary)
Evernote Corporation, 305 Walnut Street, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA 
Unsubscribe
  • Level 5*
On 2016-10-13 at 08:46, patnpm said:

I got a similar email; I thought it was because I opened a support ticket
My understanding is the problem was fixed in version 6.9.2
I agree, it would have been useful to include version numbers in the message

>>Is there any way I can find out which are at risk?

I'm reviewing the notes I created/updated recently.  Because no versions were mentioned, I don't have an exact date range
Actually, I have no idea what triggered the error so it might not even be date related

>> A parallel post in this forum might have been a good idea.

This issue was was discussed here

• Level 5*

Wow - seems very weird.  Still,  what else is new?  Anyhoo.  I don't see any way to determine which notes might be at risk,  but if the content 'may' be recoverable through note history,  and you have a year's free Premium to find it,  I'd say wait until you open each note.  If,  through normal use in 12 months,  you haven't found any notes that have missing attachments,  then forget about it.  There may still be other notes that are missing the attachments,  but if you didn't need them for a year,  you can probably delete them rather than worry about the attachments.  Seems pointless anyways to spend time trying to find a problem that may or may not exist when you could just work around it.

According to me,  EN Mac 6.8 was released on 21 July,  so any version after that (I gather) is suspect.  6.10 Beta 2 has just been released (12 October) but makes no mention of this issue at all.

Edit: 

48 minutes ago, patnpm said:

+1 for this, I got the email too and agree with your comment @patnpm - the burning question for me is which of my (many) notes are affected? The text in the email states "Unfortunately, some of your attachments couldn’t be automatically restored" which suggests EN know which notes are affected? 

I've responded to the email and await a reply, hopefully someone will address on the forum?

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, patnpm said:

We have identified a bug in some versions of Evernote for Mac that can cause images and other attachments to be deleted from a note under specific conditions. We believe you are one of a small number of people impacted by this bug.

IMHO, Evernote should be able to tell you this.

THey have your current note size. They have your note history size. They should be able to tell you "Hey, these 32 notes shrank in size and no longer have attachments. If you removed the attachments, no problem. If not please use Note History to recover the notes."

You know what, I should've cross posted this here sooner in our forums, apologies to everyone for that.

Support can answer which notes were affected. Reach out directly here: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action, preferably using Technical issues > Notes > Lost or missing content. Note: this information is only available for users who have received the above email. If you have *not* received an email then you have not been impacted by the bug. 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, gbarry said:

You know what, I should've cross posted this here sooner in our forums, apologies to everyone for that.

Support can answer which notes were affected. Reach out directly here: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action, preferably using Technical issues > Notes > Lost or missing content. Note: this information is only available for users who have received the above email. If you have *not* received an email then you have not been impacted by the bug. 

Thanks. Answers everything!

13 minutes ago, gbarry said:

Support can answer which notes were affected.

any idea why this was not mentioned in the email affected users received? 

the most worrying parts of the email are:

Unfortunately, some of your attachments couldn’t be automatically restored. However, you may be able to recover your attachments using Evernote’s

will it become clear which attachments couldn't be restored and will I or Evernote be able to manually restore them for sure?

Just FYI, if you've tried to reach out to support in the past ~45 minutes, we've been running into an issue with our help desk vendor's servers that we're also working on. Not the best timing, but if you've tried to access our webform and not been able to get through, try back again in around an hour. 

@HansN: we'll be able to pinpoint the note for you. Note History will be able to retrieve a history of changes related to the note, so you should be able to identify which attachments were gone. 

5 minutes ago, gbarry said:

Just FYI, if you've tried to reach out to support in the past ~45 minutes, we've been running into an issue with our help desk vendor's servers that we're also working on. Not the best timing, but if you've tried to access our webform and not been able to get through, try back again in around an hour. 

@HansN: we'll be able to pinpoint the note for you. Note History will be able to retrieve a history of changes related to the note, so you should be able to identify which attachments were gone. 

I did have trouble with raising the issue but eventually got on a chat with a very helpful operative named Nicki who in turn has raised a ticket and has promised to come back to me by the end of the day to let me know *if* my missing content (or the notes it is from) can be identified - I wait in hope!

Hey, 

First of all - I can't remember whether I received this mail or not, so major question is whether I am affected by this or not. 

I'm using Evernote on Windows and Mac. Can my account be affected because the issue occurred on my Mac and after synchronization it became also an issue on my Windows installations. 

Thanks !

@Parkaceed - I'm checking with our Technical Support Team on your question, I'll let you know as soon as I hear back. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

@Mario B. - If you're unsure of whether or not you received this email you can open a support ticket requesting that our Customer Support Team look into which, if any, of your notes have been affected by this bug.

• Level 5*
On 10/13/2016 at 11:31 AM, gazumped said:

but if the content 'may' be recoverable through note history,  and you have a year's free Premium to find it,  I'd say wait until you open each note.  If,  through normal use in 12 months,  you haven't found any notes that have missing attachments,  then forget about it.  There may still be other notes that are missing the attachments,  but if you didn't need them for a year,  you can probably delete them rather than worry about the attachments. 

That is terrible advice!!!  Just because I have not accessed a Note in a year does NOT, by any means, mean that the Note is not important.  In fact, it may be very important.  It may be an archive of some important events, documents, etc from much earlier in my life.

I urge everyone to ignore this terrible advice by @gazumped!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

That is terrible advice!!!  Just because I have not accessed a Note in a year does NOT, by any means, mean that the Note is not important.  In fact, it may be very important.  It may be an archive of some important events, documents, etc from much earlier in my life.

I urge everyone to ignore this terrible advice by @gazumped!

100% agree. I have many important documents in Evernote. I don't access them every year. I may need them in 3 years for an IRS audit, or in 10 years when I sell my house and need to calculate the gain, or in 2 years if some warranty needs to be used, or in 5 years if I need the detailed instructions to reprogram my garage door opener. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Just because I have not accessed a Note in a year does NOT, by any means, mean that the Note is not important.  In fact, it may be very important.  It may be an archive of some important events, documents, etc from much earlier in my life.

2 hours ago, EdH said:

100% agree. I have many important documents in Evernote. I don't access them every year. I may need them in 3 years for an IRS audit, or in 10 years when I sell my house and need to calculate the gain, or in 2 years if some warranty needs to be used, or in 5 years if I need the detailed instructions to reprogram my garage door opener. 

I agree - there is no time limit on lost data recovery.  
It applies to this incident, and other lost data.
This incident was an error at Evernote; next week it could be my mistake.

For myself, if/when Note History is not available, I will turn to my personal backups to recover lost data. This is why I have backups

Regarding this incident my strategy is to work at identifying the notes impacted.
I am following up with support to see if they can provide more details.

• Level 5*

Two points out of all that -

Less than an hour after my post ..

On 13/10/2016 at 7:59 PM, gbarry said:

- and

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

I will turn to my personal backups to recover lost data. This is why I have backups

If you keep essential documentation on someone else's computer,  you need to have backups!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you keep essential documentation on someone else's computer,  you need to have backups!

I don't think it's restricted to "someone else's computer"; I backup my local computer data.

Aside from software glitches, my data is also in danger of unintended updates by myself.

On 14-10-2016 at 3:17 PM, amanda_h said:

@Parkaceed - I'm checking with our Technical Support Team on your question, I'll let you know as soon as I hear back. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

@Mario B. - If you're unsure of whether or not you received this email you can open a support ticket requesting that our Customer Support Team look into which, if any, of your notes have been affected by this bug.

i should be a bit more specific: i downloaded evernote trough the mac app store. i could install a newer version (6.9.x), but not through the app store at the moment. so my question is, will a newer version become availiable in the mac app store as well?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Parkaceed said:

i should be a bit more specific: i downloaded evernote trough the mac app store. i could install a newer version (6.9.x), but not through the app store at the moment. so my question is, will a newer version become availiable in the mac app store as well?

Can you  identify what version is available on the App Store - I'm seeing 6.9.2

I would force this download by deleting the app from my Mac

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, DTLow said:

I will turn to my personal backups to recover lost data. This is why I have backups

I do a full EN backup (export) every month but it takes about 30min to export my 8GB database, then another 60min to encrypt it. I have a Macbook, so not super fast on this kind of thing at all. So my problem is I would have to decrypt it then import all 17,500+ notes to recover, so for me, my backup is a last ditch hail mary pass to recover something. I prefer to rely on note history. Actually, I prefer to have no problems requiring any backup strategy. :D

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

I do a full EN backup (export) every month but it takes about 30min to export my 8GB database, then another 60min to encrypt it. I have a Macbook, so not super fast on this kind of thing at all. So my problem is I would have to decrypt it then import all 17,500+ notes to recover, so for me, my backup is a last ditch hail mary pass to recover something. I prefer to rely on note history. Actually, I prefer to have no problems requiring any backup strategy. :D

I'm not sure how useful a full backup would be if I discover a note with corrupted or lost data, but as you said, a hail mary 

I also rely on Note History, and actually my primary backup is my own version of Note History.
- Each night, I export changed notes out of Evernote.  
- I use html format, and the export files are in a folder on a cloud drive.
- I don't generally encrypt the export, although some individual notes are encrypted.
- Each note has at least one copy; multiple copes if edited on different days.

A deficiency: I only have the single backup which grows over time.  
How many backup versions do you keep?

• Level 5*

A few months. I don't have the patience to do what you do daily. Maybe though I could incorporate that into a smaller monthly backup routine. Just need to figure out the search term for all notes edited in last XX days. I hate the date search syntax... :unsure:

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, EdH said:

A few months. I don't have the patience to do what you do daily. Maybe though I could incorporate that into a smaller monthly backup routine. Just need to figure out the search term for all notes edited in last XX days. I hate the date search syntax... :unsure:

No patience involved, it's completely hands off (in Apple parlance, It Just Works)

I use an applescript on my Mac (documented here)  

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-13 at 10:21, gbarry said:

Thanks for everyone's work on this issue
I upgraded the software; followed up with Support and restored my lost data

22 hours ago, DTLow said:

No patience involved, it's completely hands off (in Apple parlance, It Just Works)

I use an applescript on my Mac (documented here)  

Hi DTLow,

Thanks for publishing the script, however, after amending it to change "fileBackup" to be a location specific to my Mac I get the following error when running it - I assume I'm doing something stupid but as a newbie to scripting I'm not sure what. Can you help at all please?

Evernote Backup - Unable to create output directory.The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Claret&BlueStu said:

Thanks for publishing the script, however, after amending it to change "fileBackup" to be a location specific to my Mac I get the following error when running it - I assume I'm doing something stupid but as a newbie to scripting I'm not sure what. Can you help at all please?

Evernote Backup - Unable to create output directory.The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted

So what did you specify for the backup file directory?
You could also attach your script to a post.
I use    /Users/david/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Evernote_Backup/" & yyyymmdd    for my daily html backups
and    /Users/david/Desktop/@Evernote/Evernote Backup/Notebook-" & notebookName & ".enex   for my weekly backup

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

So what did you specify for the backup file directory?
You could also attach your script to a post.
I use    /Users/david/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Evernote_Backup/" & yyyymmdd    for my daily html backups
and    /Users/david/Desktop/@Evernote/Evernote Backup/Notebook-" & notebookName & ".enex   for my weekly backup

Thanks for the reply @DTLow I simply substituted your strings with my own personal ones as below - I also attach my script.

"/Users/Stu/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Evernote_Backup/" & yyyymmdd

"/Users/Stu/Desktop/Evernote Backup/Notebook-" & notebookName & ".enex"

However, I didn't declare "proper" strings for yyyymmdd or notebookName is this what I'm missing? (I assumed these were variables?)

Evernote_Backup.scpt

PS: I manually created the "/Evernote_Backup" folder (in iCloud folder) and "/Evernote Backup" folder on the desktop

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Claret&BlueStu said:

I simply substituted your strings with my own personal ones as below - I also attach my script.

"/Users/Stu/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Evernote_Backup/" & yyyymmdd

"/Users/Stu/Desktop/Evernote Backup/Notebook-" & notebookName & ".enex"

However, I didn't declare "proper" strings for yyyymmdd or notebookName is this what I'm missing? (I assumed these were variables?)

Evernote_Backup.scpt

PS: I manually created the "/Evernote_Backup" folder (in iCloud folder) and "/Evernote Backup" folder on the desktop

Your script is actually running on my machine (I subsituted my name for yours)

Can you identify which statement aborted - check your icloud and desktop folder to see if any backups were created
You might want to simplify it and simply write to your desktop at first

The yyyymmdd and notebookName variables were defined within the script

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

Your script is actually running on my machine (I subsituted my name for yours)

Can you identify which statement aborted - check your icloud and desktop folder to see if any backups were created
You might want to simplify it and simply write to your desktop at first

The yyyymmdd and notebookName variables were defined within the script

Google is my friend! - I searched for "AppleScript unable to create output..." and found http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11939940/how-do-i-export-notes-from-evernote-using-applescript  (from 2012...!!!) 

I followed this advice "Victory at last! The problem had nothing to do with my script, and everything with the fact that I had installed Evernote from the App Store. The App Store version, unlike the version that can be downloaded from evernote.com, is limited by App Sandboxing in Mac OS X. Now, with the non-App Store version installed, the scripts above work perfectly."

and as if by magic my (your!) script is now working perfectly.

thanks for all the help!

• Level 5

I have been using the Mac Beta versions and I also got such an e-mail. I have not found any attachment or picture missing so far but how can I be sure. Is there a way to detect which notes might have been affected?

47 minutes ago, Stuhrer said:

I have been using the Mac Beta versions and I also got such an e-mail. I have not found any attachment or picture missing so far but how can I be sure. Is there a way to detect which notes might have been affected?

@Stuhrer just raise a support ticket. I did the same and they were able to identify all the notes (only 1 in my case) affected - good luck!

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-17 at 0:43 AM, Stuhrer said:

how can I be sure. Is there a way to detect which notes might have been affected?

As per @Claret&BlueStu, I contacted Support and they responded right away with a list; only 2 notes for me

• Level 5*
On 10/16/2016 at 7:51 AM, Roberta Moll said:

I just imported all my Evernote notes into Centrallo. I'm done with Evernote.  https://centrallo.com/evernote_alternative

•  

No PDF annotation or ability to search inside of attachments? Sounds like OneNote to me. Oh, wait. OneNote at least has a webclipper like Evernote does.

Evernote also doesn't have a database size cap, just monthly upload allowances.

On 10/15/2016 at 11:50 AM, Parkaceed said:

Hey @Parkaceed - The v6.9.2 MAS Evernote update should be available, can you try rebooting your computer and let me know if you're able to install that update?

On 13/10/2016 at 5:55 PM, patnpm said:
Evernote  

Please update Evernote on your Mac to the latest version as soon as possible:
From the menu, go to Help > Check For Updates…
If you do not see this menu option, update through the Mac App Store or from our website
The bug can occur in the version of Evernote for Mac released in September, and less frequently in versions released since June. In these versions, certain sequences of events, such as skimming quickly through a large number of notes, can cause an image or other attachments to be deleted from a note without warning. Text in notes is not affected.

Once we identified the problem, we worked quickly to implement a solution and attempted to restore all lost data. Unfortunately, some of your attachments couldn’t be automatically restored. However, you may be able to recover your attachments using Evernote’s note history feature available through Evernote Premium.

We are giving your account one free year of Evernote Premium to make amends and give you access to priority customer support via chat or email. If you already have Premium, the gift code can be used to extend your subscription for one additional year, or banked as Points to use for later.

Redeem your code »

If you run into any difficulties redeeming your code, follow these instructions.

We understand how important your notes and attachments are, and we apologize. Again, please update your app as soon as possible to prevent any further loss of data.

The Evernote Team

Account  Products  Blog  Support 
This email has been sent to you by Evernote Corporation (or its subsidiary)
Evernote Corporation, 305 Walnut Street, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA 
Unsubscribe

Hi patnpm,

it seems i'm in the same situation, May i hope a premium gift code (even a month) to recover my data.

Thanks, Regards.

Pierre

On 17-10-2016 at 7:12 PM, amanda_h said:

Hey @Parkaceed - The v6.9.2 MAS Evernote update should be available, can you try rebooting your computer and let me know if you're able to install that update?

no i'm not seeing it on mavericks. it's only visible as a "non compatible" update, so i can't install it through the mac app store at the moment

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 10/21/2016 at 4:11 AM, Parkaceed said:

no i'm not seeing it on mavericks. it's only visible as a "non compatible" update

EN Mac 6.9+ requires macOS 10.10+ (Yosemite or later).

I'm not sure what Evernote expects users who are running earlier versions of macOS to do.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Parkaceed said:

so i'm screwed? hello evernote???

Contact support. This is a peer support forum, not official EN support. See links in my sig. 

Archived