Inheritance of Tags

Dear Evernote-Team,

In evernote you are able to organize your tags in mayor categories / lists and minor categories / lists. For example I am teaching physics and the tag "mirror" belongs to the category "reflection" which belongs to "geometric optics" which belongs to "physics". The problem now is that if I am searching for notes with the tag "reflection" I will not find the notes with the tag "mirror". For this purpose notes with the tag "mirror" would have to inherit the tag "reflection".  Would be nice to see such a feature in the future.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dobili said:

In evernote you are able to organize your tags in mayor categories / lists and minor categories / lists. For example I am teaching physics and the tag "mirror" belongs to the category "reflection" which belongs to "geometric optics" which belongs to "physics". The problem now is that if I am searching for notes with the tag "reflection" I will not find the notes with the tag "mirror". For this purpose notes with the tag "mirror" would have to inherit the tag "reflection".  Would be nice to see such a feature in the future.

I thought Windows had implemented this feature; to automatically select child tags on searches

Another option is to add parent/child tags to your note.  You could look at scripting this, or using a service like Filterize

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I thought Windows had implemented this feature; to automatically select child tags on searches

It has, but you first need to enable the global setting in Tools / Options / Navigation / [Tags related Options] "Automatically select child tags".

The fact that it's a global option, rather than one you can specify in a search makes it somewhat less useful than it could be, in my opinion. In other words, the search "tag:reflection" would operate differently, depending on the "select child tags" setting.

Hi,

The option "Automatically select child tags" is enabled but it does not exactly do what I need. With this option enabled you will select all notes including those with childtags by clicking on a parenttag in the tag-overview-windows. I want the search bar to show me all notes with child tags when I am searhing for an parent tag.

• Level 5*

Hmmm, interesting, you're right, for the case of a search that you type in, that doesn't work. I hadn't noticed that. However, if you use the tag picker (lower right of the search bar), then picking a tag there will make the appropriate search (basically it makes an "Any" search with the tag you choose plus all of its subtags.

This also means that a search on "tag:parent" does work the same way regardless of the state of the "select child tags" setting.

Archived