searching multiple notebooks

shekala

• 4 weeks later...

I have multiple child notebooks nested inside a parent notebook. I am not able to search the parent notebook. I have to go to each of the sub notebooks individually to search with the term I want to search. This should be a no-brainer.

As a side annoyance, one level of sub notebooks is not enough. I desperately need at least one more layer to drill down. And I have an aversion to Tags so that is not a suitable workaround. I want things to be organized by Notebooks and don't think that is an unreasonable request from this kind of program.

I have 27,000 notes and have been a paid user since Day 1. I am pretty invested in the program but I think Evernote does not pay enough attention to the basics. If I knew of a viable alternative, I would definitely jump ship. The concept is awesome, the implementation not so much.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, cbpp said:

I have multiple child notebooks nested inside a parent notebook. I am not able to search the parent notebook. I have to go to each of the sub notebooks individually to search with the term I want to search. This should be a no-brainer.

When you select the parent notebook (Stack in EN parlance) you should be searching on all of the notes contained in the notebooks in the Stack.  Just click on the stack and then enter the search in the search bar.  If you are using your find hotkey to do the search then be sure you don't have Tools - Options - Search - Clear context on search checked.  If you do have it checked, the search gets reset to all notes when you use your find hotkey.

ScreenClip.png

I have a stack for the two notebooks I sync.  Here is an example of a search on that stack.

ScreenClip.png

Archived