More tags or more notebooks ...which is best

MarkL123

I'm looking for advice or ideas about whether users find it more useful to create a notebook and group everything about a ... person for example in that notebook, or create a tag with the persons name so that Evernote searches everywhere for any references relating to that person. Advice / experiences please.

• Level 5*

In general, I find that fewer notebooks vs more tags works best. I try to create notebooks only when needed, typically to partition a set of notes that I need to share with someone, or when I want a set of notes available offline on one my mobile devices. Everything else is tags or just text search

Your mileage may vary....

Thanks for the advice. You confirm what I was thinking. One of my uses for Evernote is help me track performance, notes, output, results for a team I run. I find it difficult to stick to the discipline of everything in one notebook. If I create a tag for each person, I could then search on that bringing back everything whatever notebook its in.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, MarkL123 said:

I'm looking for advice or ideas about whether users find it more useful to create a notebook and group everything about a ... person for example in that notebook, or create a tag with the persons name so that Evernote searches everywhere for any references relating to that person. Advice / experiences please.

I'm on the tag side with @Jefito

Evernote has a set up notebooks for special features (local/sync/shared/offline)

People do use notebooks for organization, but are often disappointed
- lack of hierarchy; the best you can do is group notebooks in stacks
- limit of 250 notebooks

Personally, I don't want to worry about where to file my notes
- this or that notebook
- what to do if the note fits in multiple notebooks

I like tags for:
- unlimited hierarchy
- multiple tags per note
- search using multiple tag criteria

Archived