Please add plugin model for 3rd party extension

Devin Bost

Idea

Hi,

What I'm looking for is a feature like my post in this stack overflow post:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27950710/in-... 

If you scroll down on the page, you will see my post with the heading 'Try "Python Script" plugin'. If it could be possible to extend the desktop Evernote app so that I can add custom macros (e.g. using Python or another language/platform, such as .NET), it would really enhance my experience with using Evernote. The reason for the feature request is that it's great that new notes are timestamped when created, but if I realize that there was a typo or mistake in one of my previous notes, when I go to edit the note, it replaces the timestamp (of when it was created) with the timestamp from when it was *edited*, which causes me to not actually know when the note was created. This has caused me to instead depend on adding the actual time to various parts of a note so that I can easily find notes that are associated with a particular date or time by searching them for the string with the date. Despite my original motivation, I can see the utility of adding custom macros for inserting text. The potential is pretty limitless.

By the way, the plugin pattern is super useful from an engineering perspective in general, and if you're using an IoC / DI container (such as Ninject or Castle Windsor) in your framework, it's very easy to extend the application to take plugins by reflecting over the namespace or file directory and loading the assemblies or modules at runtime. The key would be to ensure that you get the security right (to prevent malicious code from reaching your server), but I'm sure that there are ways to restrict the code loaded as 3rd party plugins.

0 replies to this idea

There have been no replies to this idea yet

Archived