Restoring an old Evernote Backup into version 6.2.4.3244

I recently found an old harddrive with an Evernote database and backup files circa September 2006.

The Database folder has these 4 files in it:

Evernote.enb / Evernote.eni / Evernote.enl / Evernote.enr

The Backups folder has 6 backups each with different dates. The backups have an .enex and .xml extension. 

When I attempt to import any of these backups I get the following error:

Could not import notes, error: INVALID_ROOT (Error in line 2, token "EVERNOTE") Please report this problem to Evernote support.

I don't have the version that was used to create these notebooks, and I can read the XML files but the code makes the notebooks nearly impossible to read, or extract in that fashion.

Lastly, I did find the EN2Export.zip file in another post. In attempting to convert the database, given the time period it's reasonable to assume that the database is from Version 2.x. 

That didn't work. I can re-run the program to recreate the error as I don't have it handy right now.

If it's pertinent my system specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit / 32GB RAM / Intel Core i7 3.4GHz. 

• Level 5*

You could contact Evernote, but I suspect they will tell you this is no longer supported.

You could try installing an older version of Evernote. 2006 would have been Evernote 2x I believe or even a later version of 1.x. See this site.

If you need to get those notes into your real Evernote account, you'll probably need to upgrade them once you get them imported. Install a 3.x version, then a 4.x version, then a 5.x version. At that point, you could export again, then import into a real Evernote account you have.

Only one version of EN can be on a machine at a time. I'd suggest doing this on a test machine or in a VM.

Archived