Join the #EverBetterChallenge and finish what you start in 2019. Read more... ×
jbellamyy

locked note? why is it read only?

I am just using basic but I shared the link to a note with a group of people. It doesn't have the "save to Evernote" button at the bottom of the note on mobile?

I'm newer to Evernote. For the past year I've only saved notes from a link my friend created. When I get the shared link and send it it doesn't have the same "save to Evernote" button his notes do? Mine just have a View on iphones. My android friends see a locked symbol???

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just because I have basic?

image1.png

image2.png

Hi.  If you're saying that someone else is sharing notes to you,  and you're sharing them on to others,  you may not have permission to 'edit and invite'.  You may only have permissions to view or to edit.  If you create your own notes in your own account and share those on,  you'll be able to allocate those permissions.

I have been encountering this issue on occasion with notes that I've clipped on Android using the share-picker.  Relatively rarely though.  But still frustrating when it happens.

5 hours ago, Echoreflection said:

notes that I've clipped on Android using the share-picker.

Note content that is 'shared' to Evernote can include characters that can't be edited by Evernote's standard editor.  You could copy the content into another editor and copy it back from there (possibly into a new note) to strip out hidden characters...

• Thanks 1

I actually solved the problem by duplicating the note into another notebook.  It seems a note can be "locked" in one notebook but not locked in another! :)

Update though, the fact that the duplicated notes' original copy is still "locked" and apparently can never be unlocked is exceedingly frustrating and lame.  :[ 

Hmmn.  Nice catch with the 'duplication',  though why not just duplicate into the same notebook and delete the original??? 

In Windows I can right-click the title (in the left window) and 'duplicate note' without trying to edit it - you could also try exporting a note to ENEX and re-importing it.. although I don't know whether that would remove a read-only block.

Edited for clarity

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 6:56 PM, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Nice catch with the 'duplication',  though why not just duplicate into the same notebook and delete the original??? 

seemingly the problem is that the original can't be deleted precisely because it is locked....

• Like 1