EN WON'T OPEN After copying big post

Greetings! 

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (5.1)  |  EN: latest 7.9.5

After I copied an entire Quora answer and created a new note to paste the same, EN closed unexpectedly. 

(I am aware of the note editor bugs since few versions. EN lags or freezes after pasting a chunk of formatted data eg. from a blog)

However, now the app won't open. It shows the splash screen & closes immediately. The 'Syncing notes.. ' notification stays in the Notification panel but it won't go, of course.  

I have some unsync'ed notes I can't miss, hence I am not uninstalling it. Need help! 

EDIT: The widget is blank forever now. Tried restarting app and device. Tried installing another version of the app to see if it opens. It failed again. 

Thanks 

Screenshot_2016-10-08-19-35-21-024_com.miui.home-480x853.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sounds like you may have exceeded the maximum note size for your subscription level.  Will Evernote open for you on a desktop or in a browser via Evernote.com?  You could check what notes were created most recently to see whether your important notes were synced automatically.

The standard 'fix' for mobile issues though is to uninstall and reinstall,  though that will clear any unsynced notes on the device.  If you had a crash that might already have lost those notes anyway.  I don't know of any specific way to force Evernote to run if it keeps crashing unfortunately.  :(

6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Sounds like you may have exceeded the maximum note size for your subscription level.  Will Evernote open for you on a desktop or in a browser via Evernote.com?  You could check what notes were created most recently to see whether your important notes were synced automatically.

The standard 'fix' for mobile issues though is to uninstall and reinstall,  though that will clear any unsynced notes on the device.  If you had a crash that might already have lost those notes anyway.  I don't know of any specific way to force Evernote to run if it keeps crashing unfortunately.  :(

Appreciate the feedback. I had one note that exceeded the limit of 30MB. I reduced the note size, still it showed that size is exceeded. Even after this, EN was working! So probably that shouldn't be the only issue. 

Yes, it opens well on Windows app but those unsync'ed notes didn't show up

• Level 5*

Sorry for the delayed response (time zones).  The note size limit is like a "Danger! Wild Animals!" sign - going past it can lead to unwanted excitement.  Still not sure how you can do anything to recover your unsynced notes...  If Evernote won't start on a particular device,  I don't know of any way to force it to do so....

34 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Sorry for the delayed response (time zones).  The note size limit is like a "Danger! Wild Animals!" sign - going past it can lead to unwanted excitement.  Still not sure how you can do anything to recover your unsynced notes...  If Evernote won't start on a particular device,  I don't know of any way to force it to do so....

That's fine :)

Yes, gone are the notes I suppose. However I want to link this failure to the copying of some heavy text from outside and creating a note of it. EN has been a bad boy in this since a while. 

Funnily I can't even submit a bug report.. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  If you're a Basic user,  then your options are here in the forums,  or Twitter.

Don't see that Evernote are necessarily to blame here - they publish the note size limits,  and if you do clip something which might exceed them it's your risk.  They built in some limits to the app,  and if it balks at a too large a note,  then other non-related notes may suffer.  They do say "don't do this".  You just found out they really mean it...

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  If you're a Basic user,  then your options are here in the forums,  or Twitter.

Don't see that Evernote are necessarily to blame here - they publish the note size limits,  and if you do clip something which might exceed them it's your risk.  They built in some limits to the app,  and if it balks at a too large a note,  then other non-related notes may suffer.  They do say "don't do this".  You just found out they really mean it...

Well, I just read discussions in other threads regarding maximum size in MBytes and other units and I can safely say that what I had copied was far away from being that big; probably not more than 2X the first post in this very thread :)

It's the formatting (Quora answers have those link-embedded texts and formatted text with colors) of the note text I supposed.

Thanks for the Twitter link.. that's awesome! 

Archived