Jump to content
Join the #EverBetterChallenge and finish what you start in 2019. Read more... ×
JSaterdalen

ANSWERED Bug: Images from iOS are distorted on Mac

Recommended Posts

When I view a note on Mac that was created from an iOS snapshot, the image inside is always distorted. This can be worked around by cutting the image and pasting it back into the note.

 

screenshot_before.png

screenshot_after.png

Share this post


Link to post

Hi.  Have you tried any options,  like using the device camera for pictures or uninstalling and restart/ reinstalling the app?

Share this post


Link to post

I also have this known problem. I use two macs; An image created on IOS is commonly stretched on both macs, though correct via IOS and the web interface.  Clearly a mac rendering problem.

A quick query on 'images stretched' in the forums will turn up several discussions, including this one where employee BSR says "this is an issue our development team is currently aware of":

Images stretched

Started by theamblerSeptember 23

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi all,

This should be resolved in the 6.10 beta. Link below:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

As of Evernote version 6.11.1 this image-capture distortion issue has not been resolved on a 12-inch MacBook Retina running OS X 10.12.5.  Any updates?  

Share this post


Link to post

This is happening to me as well. I have hundreds, maybe thousands of images capture on my iPhone and showing up distorted on my Mac. The images stretch horizontally as the viewing window is expanded, but the vertical dimensions stays constant. Seems like an HTML thing to me?

  • Evernote v. 6.11.1
  • Mac OS 10.12.5
  • iOS 10.3.2

Is there no way to fix this? Cutting and pasting seems to work. Rotating one direction, then re-rotating the other does, too. Needless to say, I do not want to manually rotate all those images or cut and paste all of them. This is a recent development — perhaps just one or two Evernote versions ago.

How can I fix this?

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, joshfree said:

This is happening to me as well. I have hundreds, maybe thousands of images capture on my iPhone and showing up distorted on my Mac. The images stretch horizontally as the viewing window is expanded, but the vertical dimensions stays constant. Seems like an HTML thing to me?

  • Evernote v. 6.11.1
  • Mac OS 10.12.5
  • iOS 10.3.2

Is there no way to fix this? Cutting and pasting seems to work. Rotating one direction, then re-rotating the other does, too. Needless to say, I do not want to manually rotate all those images or cut and paste all of them. This is a recent development — perhaps just one or two Evernote versions ago.

How can I fix this?

Hi.  According to the posts above yours,  this is an old problem and was fixed in EN Mac 6.10;  don't think I've seen any other reports like this since...  Have you tried restarting you Mac / reinstalling Evernote?

Share this post


Link to post

Gazumped: I have now done a completely fresh install of Evernote (from the App store, if that matters) and re-synched it. Still seeing the distorted images.

They stretch and shrink horizontally as I expand or contract the window in which they're displayed. Height remains constant. A cut and paste fixes the problem, as does rotating the image. 

No idea how to proceed at this point.

Share this post


Link to post

I've been experiencing this as well. Cutting and pasting the images resolves the distortion. However, it would be nice if it worked on the first try. Looking back at my notes, it looks like this started in May 2017.

 

Evernote mac: Version 6.11.1 (455061 App Store)

Evernote iOS: 8.2.2.353110

Share this post


Link to post

The clean reinstall of Evernote fixed the image distortion problem on my end.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  You could reach out to Support directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

There have been quite a few issues with the Mac client,  and I'm not sure if this is one of the 'known bugs',  but Support will be able to confirm for you...

Thanks @gazumped. This is actually an issue with the iOS version of Evernote. I don't have a timeframe for when a fix will be available but I can assure everyone that our iOS team is currently investigating a fix.

Let me know if there are any questions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks @BSR (and @gazumped) -- really glad to hear it's on your radar. If the iOS fix isn't retroactive, and if anyone comes up with a script or something to fix a lot of images, I'd love to hear about it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Relatively new to Evernote. EN on Mac relatively useless. Same problem. Photos imported into EN on iPad or iPhone stretched and contorted almost beyond recognition on Mac.

@BSR, I am paying customer. Will contacting support make any difference since it is a known problem?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JPatch said:

Will contacting support make any difference since it is a known problem?

Can't hurt to add yourself to the list - the more folks with the problem,  the more urgent a fix... :)

Share this post


Link to post
On 26/07/2017 at 10:21 PM, BSR said:

Thanks @gazumped. This is actually an issue with the iOS version of Evernote. I don't have a timeframe for when a fix will be available but I can assure everyone that our iOS team is currently investigating a fix.

Let me know if there are any questions.

 

Hi all,

I have read the whole thread. I also had this problem in the past and then it was fixed. For me it came back with 6.11.1 (6.11 was working fine in terms of this issue). 

Clearly there is a problem of compatibility between the iPhone and the Mac when the photo is transferred on the Mac Evernote App.

I use the rotate back and forth method to have my images right. However, it is of course cumbersome to have to do this for all my new notes that contains pictures. And the problem concern also the notes which previously where showing pictures right (and on which, obviously I did not perform any back-and-forth rotation, since they were displaying right). 

The fact that the rotating back-and-forth method, as well as the cuting-and-pasting back method work give me the feeling that the note just needs a refresh to display the picture rightly. Like a webpage whose CSS was not taking in account and if you refresh all comes right. 

OK, I have just found that there is a shorter work-around than the rotating back-and-forth (which requires a series of clicks). If you just move the picture one line below (like when you are moving the picture in the note), it will fix the problem. Much easier that way.

But still, I am thinking of going back to 6.11 (I important of lot of pictures...) 

Best

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hello,

I am a premium user and I also experience the issue. I'm glad there is at least a workaround, but I am also willing to see a fix for this, as I am a havy user of the document-scanning feature of Evernote.

Cheers,

Alex

Share this post


Link to post

I've had this problem for months now and I'm actively looking for alternatives to EN because of it. Have years invested in EN but this is becoming frustrating and very annoying. Got a new MacBook Pro and even with that clean install and sync I'm still experiencing the problem. I'm a premium user. Add my gripe to the list and bump this fix up please.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide an update on this issue. This should be resolved in the latest release for Evernote for iOS, version 8.3. If you haven't already, please update your iOS device to this version to resolve the issue.

If it persists after the update, please don't hesitate to reach out to me here.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey @BSR, thanks for the update. Since the bug occurs on OS X and not on iOS, what you mean by saying, that the bug has been fixed in the latest release for iOS is that from now one, when one scans a document with the current (fixed) version, the images will not be distorted on OS X, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Caipirinia said:

Hey @BSR, thanks for the update. Since the bug occurs on OS X and not on iOS, what you mean by saying, that the bug has been fixed in the latest release for iOS is that from now one, when one scans a document with the current (fixed) version, the images will not be distorted on OS X, right?

Correct. I don't believe the fix will retroactively fix previously captured images, but going forward new images added to Evernote from iOS devices should appear properly in Evernote Mac.

Share this post


Link to post

I've tested this a couple times since updating to iOS 8.3 and it seems to be working as intended! 

Thanks so much for all your work on this. 

 

As far as fixing past images, I've found that the most efficient way is to click into the note and do a Simplify Formatting (cmd+shift+F). This should reset the image to the proper aspect ratio. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi @BSR, I just installed 8.3 on iOS and retested. My results are:

  • When you create a new note and add an image in the body of the note, the distortion doesn't happen
  • However, if you create a picture note via the shortcuts (press/hold Evernote application icon, or press/hold the "+" icon in the application) the note's image is still distorted on OSX

My versions are 8.3 and 6.11.1

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

I am still seeing the distortion. Same behavior and same versions as Rydazzle above.

Also, in my case, neither selecting from the menu nor shift-command-F does anything at all to the photo.

Share this post


Link to post
On 18.8.2017 at 5:13 PM, joshfree said:

I am still seeing the distortion. Same behavior and same versions as Rydazzle above.

Also, in my case, neither selecting from the menu nor shift-command-F does anything at all to the photo.

After selecting the image and hitting CMD+SHIFT+F you need to select another note and go back to the distored note to see the effect of it. This has been my lifesaver solution so far, as I am facing this problem for the last year at least. 

Latest Evernote on iOS 8.3.356604 and MacOS 6.11.1 (455061 App Store).

I wonder why this cannot be fixed, as it seems pretty obvious to reproduce it. Happens on any photo that comes from iOS - be it scanned document, photo taken in the app itself or even photos that were not taken in the App.

Share this post


Link to post
On 19/08/2017 at 7:59 PM, Ernesto Baschny said:

After selecting the image and hitting CMD+SHIFT+F you need to select another note and go back to the distored note to see the effect of it. This has been my lifesaver solution so far, as I am facing this problem for the last year at least. 

Latest Evernote on iOS 8.3.356604 and MacOS 6.11.1 (455061 App Store).

I wonder why this cannot be fixed, as it seems pretty obvious to reproduce it. Happens on any photo that comes from iOS - be it scanned document, photo taken in the app itself or even photos that were not taken in the App.

Awesome. Thanks so much! 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×