Searching on Apple Watch - EN Crashes Every Time

Using the Apple Watch Series 2 with watchOS 3 and an iPhone 6S with iOS 10, both with most recent versions.

Evernote opens OK on the watch and I can see some notes (not the most recent though). When I try to do a search, as soon as I tap on a search word, the app crashes.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Evernote app on the watch. Same thing happens.

Anyone here having the same issue?

The same here. The app is practically unusable in true Evernote style. I can see the title of recent notes, then on clicking it I get blank contents. Searching for notes through either scribbling or dictation causes the app to crash as a whole.

I think I have had a premium Evernote account for around a decade now, I have probably paid $400 to $500 or so to Evernote over the years. I love the app. But the fact that you guys release software that is so goddamn buggy all the time drives me insane. I could write a more stable Apple Watch app than this, don't you guys test this stuff?!

Sorry, sometimes the frustration gets a bit much.

I have exactly the same thing. Search notes of the watch is very important to me functionality. I reported this error immediately after the release watchOS3. There was one update. The error persists. Question: How long will we wait to repair an error?

Thanks for posting this. I'm having the exact same problem, and I'm really disappointed in how awful the app is. Even when I can open a Note, the formatting is terrible. And sometimes it locks up so I can't scroll. I have checkboxes in one of my notes. I'd like to think that I can tick those boxes in the watch app (I wouldn't know, since it won't stay running long enough), but I guess I shouldn't make that assumption. Because I already made the mistake of assuming that this app actually worked.

Sometimes I feel like I should pay money for an Evernote subscription, because I love it so much and depend on it almost daily. But when I see something like this it really disheartens me. I can't imagine how disgruntled I'd feel if I was a paid subscriber and this was something I was spending money on. Some of the apps I have on my watch are downright amazing. Hell, just being able to write words on the screen is cool, and works very well. In stark contrast, trying to use the Evernote app makes me feel like I've got some janky piece of ***** on my wrist that isn't really supported. I've seen what other devs have been able to do. Get it together, Evernote.

Yes that is correct. I received a Twitter message from the @evernotehelp guys about a week ago after asking them about 4 times to reply to me about the problems I was facing with the AW app. Not great customer service to make me ask it 4 times before I get a response, but that's besides the point. Told me this: "Thanks! I've verified with our iOS team that this is a known-issue that the devs are working to fix! /DS"

So I thought, great, and had been anxiously looking for Evernote updates on the App Store since. Yesterday came the big moment when an update to Evernote 7.18 came available. Guess what? No fix!

I work around 70 hours a week and not too long ago in my spare time worked on developing an iPhone app which I managed to create. I'm sure Evernote can hire more talented developers than me who can work on this thing full time rather than me spending the odd hour here or there in the evening on this stuff? HOW HASN'T ONE OF THESE TALENTED DEVELOPERS TAKEN 3 HOURS OUT OF HIS MORNING YET TO FIX THIS THING AND MAKE EVERNOTE USABLE ON AN ENTIRE DEVICE???! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS DOING?!

My problem is even more extreme - the app opens and then immediately shuts. Sometimes I see one note before it crashes. Completely unusable. New Apple Watch 2 running watch OS3 and iPhone 6 running OS 10, updated EV app. I'm a premium subscriber but this could end that. 

Hey, everybody, I think they fixed it! Version 7.18.1 was released yesterday (October 25). The patch notes only say "bug fixes and miscellaneous improvements", they don't mention anything else. It just now occurred to me to try out the watch app again and it seems to be MUCH better! I was able to search for several different notes. It showed me the results, and even showed a thumbnail if there was an image attached to the note. I opened one of my checklist notes and the formatting is really good. Each item becomes a full button you can tap to toggle the checkmark on and off. WAY better than it was before. Didn't crash once. Although I did lose my connection to the phone. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not. But it didn't crash.

Unfortunately you still can't browse all your notes. It shows Recently Viewed, Recently Updated, and for a while it showed me one entry based on time of day. But I can't go into a notebook and scroll through everything. If it's not recent, the only way to get to it is to search. 

At least it's working now!

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot use search on the Apple watch Series 2 (I just get sent back to my apps screen), nor do new items composed on the watch show up on my phone or web interface.

BTW, I tried submitting this as an issue to Evernote, but I can't figure out how to open a ticket--any ideas?

• Level 5
On 11/17/2016 at 7:17 AM, ChrisMc said:

I cannot use search on the Apple watch Series 2 (I just get sent back to my apps screen), nor do new items composed on the watch show up on my phone or web interface.

BTW, I tried submitting this as an issue to Evernote, but I can't figure out how to open a ticket--any ideas?

Hi Chris,

Can you confirm your iPhone OS and Watch OS versions? What you describe was an Apple bug that was fixed with iOS 10.1 and watchOS 3.1 updates.

Cheers,
Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

I have 10.1.1 and 3.1 and I still have two problems:

1) Searches always come up with no results as other people have said.

2) Note refresh is broken.  When I try to retrieve a note, sometimes I get the latest version, sometimes I get the one before the last edit, and sometimes I get the version from the very first time I opened that note on my watch.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived