(Archived) "You can't create more than 32 saved searches"

When trying to create a new saved search I got this pop-up box:

"You can't create more than 32 saved searches"

Is that message for real?

If so, is that going to be permanent?

Especially considering in EN3Beta my many databases are all merged into one big database (separated via notebooks) - 32 saved searches isn't very many!

Can I ask, why would you need more than 32 saved searches? I suspect at 32 only a few searches are being used regularly. For frequently used single keyword searches beyond the 32 you can create an auto-Tag that filters notes on that word just by highlighting and dragging the word to the Tag area. Perhaps there is no good resource-conserving reason for the limitation, in which case I probably have no preference. But if you have to search one that often - just make it an auto-Tag.

I would rather that the search bar auto saved a lot of search terms and brought them up - drop down style- upon typing the first two or three letters. At least the option to turn this on perhaps.

That said...

I would like to propose again the right click on a word in a note and then search it from the right click menu. With more images going into Evernote, and AIR finding hits by mistake, this would be a fast way to drill down for related search terms from within a search result. Its also a faster way of searching for words I know I want from within notes. This is a repeat of an earlier suggestion of mine.

Can I ask, why would you need more than 32 saved searches? I suspect at 32 only a few searches are being used regularly. For frequently used single keyword searches beyond the 32 you can create an auto-Tag that filters notes on that word just by highlighting and dragging the word to the Tag area. Perhaps there is no good resource-conserving reason for the limitation, in which case I probably have no preference. But if you have to search one that often - just make it an auto-Tag.

You must be using a different version of the beta than the rest of us. Tags in 3b are "dumb", i.e., there is no auto-tag capabilities. That has been lost, replaced by the saved searches. Hence, the desire to have more than 32 saved searches.

Of course, if you've figured out a way to make tags automatic filters, I sure as heck wold love to know :)

• Glossary:
    [*:e3153]EN2.2 "Automatic Keyword Category (AKC)" = EN3b "Saved Search"
    [*:e3153]EN2.2 "Manually Assigned Category" = EN3b "Tag"

Back in the old days of EverNote Classic (EN 2.2), I had more than one thousand Saved Searches (called "Automatic Keyword Categories" in EN 2.2, in case you would care to search the EverNote User Forum to look for some of my previous discussions of how I used Automatic Keyword Categories).

In my Medical database (in EN Classic, these days it would be a "notebook") I had AKCs that would look for the name of every vitamin, syndrome, and disease. So, for example, if one note had a discussion of vitamin D and cancer, one AKC would look for the phrase "Vitamin D" and another would look for the word "cancer". Without my having to take any manual action to drag-and-drop a category ("Tag" in EN3b), I would have my notes fully categorized for me by EverNote.

In other words, I expected EverNote automatically do all my categorization (Tag assignment in EN3b) automatically, without my having to take any action other than to clip a note into EverNote. My life is way too short and I am way too busy to ***** around with manually assigning Tags to notes.

Just to stretch your mind a little, I'll reply to your query with another query, "How could you possibly get along without thousands of Saved Searches?" :)

@ Crane & Marcclarke: Thanks folks for the replies. Crane, tags in EN 3.x can be made to auto filter based on a single keyword. As stated above, just highlight a word in a note, and drag it to the Tag area (not the Saved Searches area, although you can create a saved search that way too) . I do not know if there is a limit on filtered tags.

All other tag filtering options are indeed still dumb. I am hoping they come back in the final release, but I am hopeful with today's release of more "Attributes", (which I presonally prefer less than filtered categories.

Marcclarke: Small pickin's, but I think that EN2.2 Database = EN 3.x Accounts; rather than Notebooks. All Notebooks are in one file, like each database used to be. EN folks said elsewhere that Notebooks should be thought of as folders within a single database. Separate accounts - which apparently cannot be registered yet in the beta, function like separate complete databases. How you drag a note from one account to another will remain to be seen.

Thousands!?! Zounds! :shock:

@ Crane & Marcclarke: Thanks folks for the replies. Crane, tags in EN 3.x can be made to auto filter based on a single keyword. As stated above, just highlight a word in a note, and drag it to the Tag area (not the Saved Searches area, although you can create a saved search that way too) . I do not know if there is a limit on filtered tags.

Hmmm, I tried that after reading your first post. Then I did it again just now. True, I can create a tag, but it only ever has 1 note in it. For example, I created one with the tag "next". One note, even though there are a couple of dozen notes in my notebooks with "next" in them. I think it might be a leftover functionality that isn't supposed to be there. For example, in an older version of the beta, if I imported an auto keyword category into 3b (i.e., through importing some notes that had such a category assigned), I could actually get the functionality of that keyword category, as a tag, for all future notes - but it wasn't backwards compatible so to speak. However, after noting that on the forum, that functionality was killed.

Yes, this is a horrible state of affairs. As of Build 539, the tags are strictly manual assignment. I just can't imagine why anyone would want to fiddle around with that. So, if saved searches are the only way to automatize the thing, then we need an unlimited number of saved searches. And being able to re-order the list would be nice, as well.

Yes, this is a horrible state of affairs. As of Build 539, the tags are strictly manual assignment. I just can't imagine why anyone would want to fiddle around with that. So, if saved searches are the only way to automatize the thing, then we need an unlimited number of saved searches. And being able to re-order the list would be nice, as well.

(Basically, make them like they were in 2.2.1, which worked well and weren't broken. I concur.)

I concur as well.

EN Team: Please keep the functionality of EN 2.2. I liked the automatic keyword categories. At least give us an option to use that. If you want, just call it "automatic keyword tags". We can blend it as being one in the same and keep what I would call an integrated hierarchy.

Also, this whole business of "categories" versus "tags" is ridiculous. Microsoft Outlook has had categories for years, and you could assign multiple categories to a task or email, for example, by checking each category. One could also preserve these categories when the task or email was sent to another person using Outlook with an Exchange server.

I want to make as much of a preemptive strike on this as I can and say that we are risking dumbing down an already great product. This is my opinion, of course. Please take this as a loyal user just being protective of something that is already useful and excellent.

Archived