Disaster has struck!

Susana

I've had several notes that I had been working on for at least a couple of years. Most notes had screen captures so for that reason and my plus subscription, the notes were under 50mb. At the beggining of the week, several notes started syncing empty. No symbol that an image had been there. Just my written annotations and completely empty. Still, the waste basket had copies of the things I had deleted. But not everything had been screen captured so much was lost. And with each sync I lose more and more pictures, the notes are there, but empty.

I have 2 internet connections, a 12MB and a 10MB, different companies, yielded the same results. The web version is also empty. And it gets more empty as time goes by, each time any app syncs, the note simply gets lost.

I don't use Evernote in my phone, takes too long to download, and I opened it to see if it had sync there... But rather, the old version on the phone synced on top of the new one on the web, ruining it completely. And the more I log in, the more I lose. I no longer want to keep on working on my notes because I know it's a lost job. And this never happened before, I've been using the program just fine in three platforms (phone, Windows PC and Mac) and something like this had NEVER happened, it did lose some pictures every now and again but not COMPLETE NOTES. IN SOME CASES, YOU HAVE JUST THE TITLE. THE REST IS LOST.

I hope it gets solved but reconstructing 3 years of notes is too much of a hassle to bother. I even tried to reconstruct some of the lost notes and that got lost too. It's a dissapearing act with each sync.

So, if you're thinking about upgrading, think twice. My data is not that much big, so I've had the Plus account for the past year, before that I had the Premium but in Argentina is a very steep price for personal, non work related notes.

I think Evernote should take care of their customers regardless of what type of account they have. 

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Susana said:

I've had several notes that I had been working on for at least a couple of years. Most notes had screen captures so for that reason and my plus subscription, the notes were under 50mb. At the beggining of the week, several notes started syncing empty. No symbol that an image had been there. Just my written annotations and completely empty. Still, the waste basket had copies of the things I had deleted. But not everything had been screen captured so much was lost. And with each sync I lose more and more pictures, the notes are there, but empty.

Below is a solution I received from Support for my Mac

WORTHLESS IF YOU'RE NOT A PREMIUM USER. IN ARGENTINA THE COST OF THE PLUS ACCOUNT IS VERY STEEP (ABOUT A HARDCOVER BOOK A MONTH) AND I DECIDED TO COLLABORATE IN THIS PROJECT.

SHAME THAT YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD YOUR NOTES TO YOUR COMPUTER OR A HISTORY OF THE NOTES TO THE COMPUTER TO SEE THEM WHEN YOU'RE OFFLINE. I SEARCHED ALL OF MY BACKUPS TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING TO RETRIEVE THE NOTES, TO NO AVAIL.

GURU, YOU KNOW NOTHING, OR BETTER YET, PAID BY THE COMPANY TO REASSURE US OF SOMETHING THAT IT'S SIMPLY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. THEY VANISHED FROM THE WEB VERSION, SYNCED EMPTY, IN THE VOID, AND SINCE I'M ONLY A PLUS USER, I'M ABSOLUTELY DISPOSABLE.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Susana said:

GURU, YOU KNOW NOTHING, OR BETTER YET, PAID BY THE COMPANY TO REASSURE US OF SOMETHING THAT IT'S SIMPLY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. THEY VANISHED FROM THE WEB VERSION, SYNCED EMPTY, IN THE VOID, AND SINCE I'M ONLY A PLUS USER, I'M ABSOLUTELY DISPOSABLE.

7 hours ago, Susana said:

Why not say better that you're an automated on the payroll bot? Better.

These are very childish posts

I am a user like yourself.
And like yourself, I lost some data in my notes.
My process was to open a support ticket,
- I thought it might help other users so I shared the response

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-01 at 00:50, Susana said:

SHAME THAT YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD YOUR NOTES TO YOUR COMPUTER OR A HISTORY OF THE NOTES TO THE COMPUTER TO SEE THEM WHEN YOU'RE OFFLINE. I SEARCHED ALL OF MY BACKUPS TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING TO RETRIEVE THE NOTES, TO NO AVAIL.

A copy of my notes is maintained on my Mac.  
I also maintain my own backups and note history; my script is documented here

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Susana said:

The Windows and Mac clients both maintain copies of your Evernote database on your local machine. You can back them up at your leisure.

When someone -- a fellow user, mind, and not a paid Evernote employee -- spends their time to try to help you, the correct thing is to say "Thank you", even if it's not the solution you're seeking.

You might try upgrading to premium for a month while you get this sorted.

hace 10 horas, jefito dijo:

The Windows and Mac clients both maintain copies of your Evernote database on your local machine. You can back them up at your leisure.

When someone -- a fellow user, mind, and not a paid Evernote employee -- spends their time to try to help you, the correct thing is to say "Thank you", even if it's not the solution you're seeking.

You might try upgrading to premium for a month while you get this sorted.

You know, the first thing I did was try to find that... No trace. Not even a single file on apps or data. NOTHING. Second thing was to check the history on the i on every file... All I get is a popup to "upgrade to premium". Nothing more. One month of premium is so expensive that back in 2014 I had to let it go. If you're so certain that this is true, check it out. All there is are temporary encripted files that get wiped out when you close the program. Nothing permanent stays in the program. All you can do to save some data is to email it to yourself. That's the only way. One of the folders is shared with someone, even their files got corrupted beyond repair.

The answers are so unhelpful and clearly scripted that it's annoying. Nobody is losing data so no one cares. That's why I'm so mad. Evernote helps on twitter hasn't said a word since thursday night. This whole incident started Monday, and I never installed the new version on the PC, just to stop the damage from happening. Both machines (mac and PC got corrupted, plus the online version) got corrupted, first the mac that was on the receiving end, then the PC when it synced automatically, then the phone, and at last the web version. Complete notes of 30/40 mb are completely gone, just the title of the note remains. And there were a lot of people tweeting about this, but they want to keep it quiet so they don't lose clients.

When you lose something important is always devastating. I've been on all kinds of forums for years, and this one is the most unhelpful of all.

This happened to me now, what if tomorrow happens to you? You should worry.

• Level 5*

4 minutes ago, Susana said:

One month of premium is so expensive that back in 2014 I had to let it go.

It's about 3 dollars in this country; how much is it in your country? Flip side, though -- my opinion is that data loss should be fixed for free; you shouldn't need to upgrade to premium to get note history back for notes that were lost through no fault of yours.

6 minutes ago, Susana said:

All there is are temporary encripted files that get wiped out when you close the program. Nothing permanent stays in the program. All you can do to save some data is to email it to yourself. That's the only way. One of the folders is shared with someone, even their files got corrupted beyond repair.

I have backups of the Evernote database files from my machine. Also, I backup my notes to Evernote format. No email required. I can't help you with the Mac side of things; but your notes do reside in whole on Macs. DTLow is much more in tune with the Mac platform.

9 minutes ago, Susana said:

The answers are so unhelpful and clearly scripted that it's annoying. Nobody is losing data so no one cares.

Other people are having the same problem, as evidenced by DTLow's link to another post in the forum relating to data loss, where you've also posted. Obviously Evernote are aware of the problem. Have you tried that solution, as suggested by the Evernote tech person?

18 minutes ago, Susana said:

And there were a lot of people tweeting about this, but they want to keep it quiet so they don't lose clients.

Had they wanted to keep the issue quiet, they would have deleted this topic and the other linked topic, don't you think?

15 minutes ago, Susana said:

This is what the backups are for. And I don't use the Mac client, where this problem evidently resides.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Susana said:

As I reported, this happened to me - I lost data in some of my notes
I opened a support ticket and posted the response
To recover the data, I went to my own backups and the Evernote Note History

>>You know, the first thing I did was try to find that... No trace. Not even a single file on apps or data. NOTHING.

For locating the Evernote databaseScreen Shot 2016-10-02 at 7.23.41 AM copy.png
- On Windows, the database is stored in a single .exb file
- On Mac, there is a database folder.  It can be located by viewing About Evernote, and holding down the option key

I find restoring from a database backup somewhat complex
I prefer to use periodic data exports on my Mac

• Level 5*
On 2016-09-30 at 12:03, Susana said:

I think Evernote should take care of their customers regardless of what type of account they have. 

Check out the post below.  It looks like Evernote will give you temporary access to Note History to recover your missing data

And here

• 2 weeks later...

Temp access note, they have given. They charged 5.99 for Evernote Plus the last two months. Now they lowered to 3.99 after the data loss.

Backing up is not possible if your notebook is synced. Check your manual. Now they're on local, but WHAT'S THE USE OF EVERNOTE THEN? All the advantages of syncing your notes through devices they're all gone. And once a notebook is local you can't make it synced and vice versa.

I'm saying it again. This is the MOST unhelpful forum ever. I PAY for a service I'm not given. I have better service for free from many other places. I stuck with Evernote because they gave me no problem.

And, stop blaming the users when the company is to blame.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Susana said:

Backing up is not possible if your notebook is synced. Check your manual.

Not sure what you're reading, but I back up my notes, both synced and local notebooks.  

The process is the same: select the notes, then Export

Its best to do this separately for each notebook, since the notebook data is not stored in  the export

Temp access note, they have given. They charged 5.99 for Evernote Plus the last two months. Now they lowered to 3.99 after the data loss.

Backing up is not possible if your notebook is synced. Check your manual. Now they're on local, but WHAT'S THE USE OF EVERNOTE THEN? All the advantages of syncing your notes through devices they're all gone. And once a notebook is local you can't make it synced and vice versa.

I'm saying it again. This is the MOST unhelpful forum ever. I PAY for a service I'm not given. I have better service for free from many other places. I stuck with Evernote because they gave me no problem.

And, stop blaming the users when the company is to blame.

Evernote Plus has never cost US$5.99, however, it did increase from US$2.99 to US$3.99 in June of this year. You mentioned you reside in Argentina. In Argentine Pesos, the cost for monthly Plus is 14 ARS. This price has not changed.

If you use the downloaded Evernote application on your computer, you will find the synchronized notebooks appear on www.evernote.com and are also stored in the Evernote database on your computer hard drive. You can backup the Evernote database folder for safe keeping if you'd like to create a copy of the file.

Please be respectful of Evernote users on this forum who spend their personal time helping others troubleshoot issues for free. I'm showing you had a support ticket open but responded to the rep on October 4th letting them know the issue was resolved by restoring content from your note history. If you are continuing to experience trouble, you can reply directly to that representative who can continue assisting you. If you are experiencing a new issue, or have a new question for customer support, you can open a new ticket here.

On 14/10/2016 at 15:36, amanda_h dijo:

Evernote Plus has never cost US$5.99, however, it did increase from US$2.99 to US$3.99 in June of this year. You mentioned you reside in Argentina. In Argentine Pesos, the cost for monthly Plus is 14 ARS. This price has not changed.

If you use the downloaded Evernote application on your computer, you will find the synchronized notebooks appear on www.evernote.com and are also stored in the Evernote database on your computer hard drive. You can backup the Evernote database folder for safe keeping if you'd like to create a copy of the file.

Please be respectful of Evernote users on this forum who spend their personal time helping others troubleshoot issues for free. I'm showing you had a support ticket open but responded to the rep on October 4th letting them know the issue was resolved by restoring content from your note history. If you are continuing to experience trouble, you can reply directly to that representative who can continue assisting you. If you are experiencing a new issue, or have a new question for customer support, you can open a new ticket here.

I've been respectful since day one, even in the despair of losing my notes, I was treated short of moronic and careless.

The parity is 15 pesos=1 dollar.

But, let's put it this way. Evernote is nowadays the least cost effective cloud service.

iCloud costs 2,99 for 200 GB https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238

Dropbox is 8,25 for 1TB https://www.dropbox.com/business/plans-comparison

Google Drive is 1,99 for 100 GB https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375123?hl=es

The catch? The Evernote editor. But still, 3.99 for 1GB is a lot compared to other systems. And now inside me, trust is broken. I don't know if I'll ever be able to trust my data is safe in evernote.

The ticket took almost 3 days to be responded. Over Twitter several people were in angst trying to get a response. The fact that Plus doesn't incorporate a note history is a big fail. Once a month it would be more than enough for residential users.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, Susana said:

But, let's put it this way. Evernote is nowadays the least cost effective cloud service.

You're kind of comparing apples and oranges;
for example iCloud 2.99 for a total usage of 200GB
                    EN      3.99 for a monthly 1GB upload; no maximum total
Then again, it would take over 16 years to upload 200GB to Evernote.
And, I'm currently only using under 10GB

I agree the Evernote editor is "the catch".  
- I find it indespensible for assembling my notes
- also make use of the tag and search features to organize and view my note

As to "trust is broken", I continue to trust Evernote as always; but I always maintain my own backups

>> I was treated short of moronic and careless.
I'm sorry that happened, and if I was part of it.
It was not intentional.
I have a lot of experience dealing with these issues and may not always be considerate of people new to it
I also lost data, and notified Evernote of the problem.  While they looked into the problem, I relied on my own resources to recover my data.  
I just considered it my responsibility to cover myself

>>The fact that Plus doesn't incorporate a note history is a big fail.
I don't fault Evernote for raising money to pay the bills.  Again, I have my own backups.

hace 1 hora, DTLow dijo:

You're kind of comparing apples and oranges;
for example iCloud 2.99 for a total usage of 200GB
                    EN      3.99 for a monthly 1GB upload; no maximum total
Then again, it would take over 16 years to upload 200GB to Evernote.
And, I'm currently only using under 10GB

I agree the Evernote editor is "the catch".  I find it indespensible for assembling my notes

As to "trust is broken", I continue to trust Evernote as always; but I always maintain my own backups

>> I was treated short of moronic and careless.
I'm sorry that happened, and if I was part of it.
It was not intentional.
I have a lot of experience dealing with these issues and may not always be considerate of people new to it
I also lost data, and notified Evernote of the problem.  While they looked into the problem, I relied on my own resources to recover my data.  
I just considered it my responsibility to cover myself

>>The fact that Plus doesn't incorporate a note history is a big fail.
I don't fault Evernote for raising money to pay the bills.  Again, I have my own backups.

Data loss is ok with you? I've had Dropbox for 7 years with no data loss WHATSOEVER. And it's a free app, working seamlessly in the background. As a matter of fact, none of my systems EVER had data loss. The thought of it defeats the whole purpose of cloud storage. And the fact that you speak about data loss so convinced has me really baffled. Everyone can suffer from a spotty data connection, servers might go down, but data storage due to redundant RAID systems is extremely rare.

Evernote is a cloud storage system just like any other. Dropbox keeps photos, Evernote documents. Backing up data in your own computer is idiotic. If it gets lost, stolen or breaks and Evernote fails at the same instant?

I deal with tons of data. Photos, web clippings, PDFs, ePubs, mails. NEVER (and mind you, more than 15 years now) I'VE HAD A REDUNDANT RAID SYSTEM FAIL. Be it 0, 1 or 2. The cloud is one of the best systems. Change computers without hassle, all of your data will be there. Evernote failed. All of the other systems transferred all of my data to my computer with just downloading the program and logging in. Going from a PC to a Mac took exactly 45 minutes that dreadful Sept 28th, 2016 I'll never forget.

Personally, it's a deal breaker. And a huge one. Unexcusable. Impossible to compensate. Even if you try to see it as "normal". It's not. It's bad business.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Susana said:

Data loss is ok with you? 

No, data loss is not acceptable, and we all want to minimize it happening.

But it's a fact of life, and we must take steps to recover from it
Did you get your upgrade to Premium?
I recommend you contact Support to get a list of notes impacted
- they also provide a link to Note History to restore your lost data
The link to contact support is   Contact Evernote Support 

>> Backing up data in your own computer is idiotic

Not a great attitude.  
Have you heard the saying, There are two types of people, those who have lost data; and those who will lose data

I actually use a cloud drive and Apple Time Capsule to store my backups 

Archived