Easier creation of linked notes

An idea for streamlining linked notes creation.

Usually I create a daily plan note, where I write checklists of short tasks I need to do or queries I need to look into. Often those tasks will send me on a longer, more detailed investigation, for which I need a separate note in order to not polute my "daily plan note" with unnecessary details. So I need to:

1. Create a new note

2. Go to menu and select "copy note link"

3. Paste it in parent note

4. Switch back to newly created note and then start

That's multiple clicks and mouse movements (or keystrokes), and I don't want to sound lazy, but it's just inefficient. It would be great if right-click menu in the first note would offer the option of "Create Linked Note" that would basically tie in everything from step 1 to step 4

• Level 5*

One of the technical difficulties with your idea (which is appealing, btw, and I've upvoted) is, if I recall correctly, is that Evernote cannot create a note link until the linked note has been created and synced.

Anyways, the following isn't exactly what you've asked for, but here's a suggestion that might help with the current Evernote client: if you create your task notes all at the same time, then once you've created them, you should be able to multi-select them in your note list, right-click, and select Copy Note Links, which you should then be able to paste into your daily plan note. This is similar to the Evernote table of contents note described here: https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/01/15/create-table-contents-evernote/

I use a similar methodology to what you describe, though my tasks can run more than a single day (indeed into weeks), so I tend to make separate notes for some, but not for others (if I don't need much ancillary information). I use a weekly planning note (from a template, which saves some time) rather than daily, which cuts down on some churn; it has a list of tasks for the week, which I then pull from for my daily entries. and where I mark things done. I also add or remove tasks from the week's list as priorities change. Every week, I make a new weekly plan from the template, fill in some dates, copy last week's task list in, remove the completed items, add a Reminder (so that the note floats to the top of my note list) and I'm good to go. Then I can retire the previous week's note.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Liam Gretton said:

Related to this I wish a right-click on a note in the note list didn't switch to that note automatically. When you're working in one note and wish to get another note's link to include it means unnecessary flipping between notes.

That's a common enough UI convention, at least in Windows explorer, so it's not too crazy a concept, but yes, that can be inconvenient. Anyways, flipping back to a previous note is pretty easy in Evernote, fortunately: Alt+Left arrow does this, or you can use the toolbar buttons. Also, in my workflow, when I'm working on my planning, I just open my weekly plan up into a separate window, and work from there; I'm going to have it in a separate window throughout the week anyways.

6 hours ago, jefito said:

One of the technical difficulties with your idea (which is appealing, btw, and I've upvoted) is, if I recall correctly, is that Evernote cannot create a note link until the linked note has been created and synced.

Anyways, the following isn't exactly what you've asked for, but here's a suggestion that might help with the current Evernote client: if you create your task notes all at the same time, then once you've created them, you should be able to multi-select them in your note list, right-click, and select Copy Note Links, which you should then be able to paste into your daily plan note. This is similar to the Evernote table of contents note described here: https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/01/15/create-table-contents-evernote/

I use a similar methodology to what you describe, though my tasks can run more than a single day (indeed into weeks), so I tend to make separate notes for some, but not for others (if I don't need much ancillary information). I use a weekly planning note (from a template, which saves some time) rather than daily, which cuts down on some churn; it has a list of tasks for the week, which I then pull from for my daily entries. and where I mark things done. I also add or remove tasks from the week's list as priorities change. Every week, I make a new weekly plan from the template, fill in some dates, copy last week's task list in, remove the completed items, add a Reminder (so that the note floats to the top of my note list) and I'm good to go. Then I can retire the previous week's note.

Yes, I believe you are correct, copying note link immediately triggers synchronization. I see also being a problem the fact that the newly linked note would not yet have a name, but instead it would need to be somewhat of a placeholder of the soon-to-be-initialized note, and it would need to be updated afterwards..

Table of contents approach would be good, but would require that notes are listed in one notebook, while tasks can be grouped in different logical categories (notebooks).

I like the idea of adding a weekly note as a reminder, I'll need to start doing that. It'll help to keep things in focus. Though I still can't move away from the daily plan, since I've found that it's much easier to start any task if instead of seeing it as this big mountain of work that needs to be done, I have a list of small manageable tasks so I'm just chipping it away..

Thanks for the reply and the idea!

Archived