Evernote for Mac 6.10 Beta 1 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.10, Beta 1! You can download it here.

We’ve done some significant under the hood work on the Beta 1 on the note editor and would like your help in helping us identify any issues.

• The note editor has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

• This initial release of the new editor is focused on feature parity with the old editor - and lays the groundwork for many improvements coming in future Mac releases.

• Please note that there are some known issues we are working on, and plan to fix by the beta 2:

• After copying a list and pasting it, sometimes an extra bullet will appear and the pasted list items will be indented.

• Google Drive rich links do not revert to regular URLs when users perform an Undo action.

• After copying a portion of a line of a text and pasting it, formatting is not retained. (The issue does not occur when an entire line is copied).

• Context is not displayed at the bottom of notes.

• Notes are created with incorrect default point sizes, and font size may change when selecting a font from the Font dialog

Your continuing feedback in the beta is extremely important and appreciated and will help us ensure the highest quality release, so do let us know if you spot any of your existing workflows are affected.

Thanks,

Chantal, Alex and the rest of the Mac and Note Editor teams!

Evernote for Mac 6.10 Release Notes

New:

• Note editing has many under the hood changes that sets the groundwork for more future changes.

Fixed:

• A few top crashing issues.

70 replies to this idea

• Level 5

BUG REPORT for Version 6.10 Beta 1 (454168 Direkt)

When switching notes by clicking on another note in the "Ausschnitte-Ansicht" (I think it is the "Snippet View" in the English version) sometimes the note is empty and just the title is visible in the note view. The note content is only displayed when moving the mouse pointer over the note view. It is only happening occasionally but consistently and more often when looking at large notes. It seems to be an update problem.

evernote_Version 6.10 Beta 1 (454168 Direkt) blurred.mp4

Update: Context is also only displayed when moving the mouse over the very bottom of the note window.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, EdH said:

could you not rename Evernote.app to Evernote2.app before installing the 2nd one? Or would that cause a black hole to open up on your HD?

Don't think that will work either.  A Mac app is really a special kind of folder that holds lots of resources and pointers.  

Black holes have been reported, but not confirmed.  B)

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

Have you actually tried this?  I don't think it will work, since there is still just one Evernote.app.

No, but that is a good point. I thought though there was a thread in here not too long ago where someone had accidentally done this though and had two copies of EN on their mac - the EN download and the App Store download.

And just for grins, even if you are 100% right (and may well be) could you not rename Evernote.app to Evernote2.app before installing the 2nd one? Or would that cause a black hole to open up on your HD?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, EdH said:

Pretty sure you can if you download the Beta from Evernote and the real client from the Mac App Store. They use different libraries to store data.

Have you actually tried this?  I don't think it will work, since there is still just one Evernote.app.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

You can do it on iOS too. I have both. I use the beta 99% of the time until something breaks, and can always fall back on the installed App Store client.

If you are using the same Evernote account with both, then you are still putting your production account data at risk.  Unless the beta uses a different Evernote account, you really haven't achieved much.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

As @EdH mentioned, using any beta software is high risk, and, IMO, no one should use it with their production Evernote account, since you have the real risk of losing and/or corrupting some (or all) of your real Notes.  

I was going to suggest using another Evernote account for testing betas, but I don't know if it is possible to use two different versions of Evernote on the same Mac (one version would be the beta, the other would be the production version you are using). Can anyone from @Evernote comment on this?

Pretty sure you can if you download the Beta from Evernote and the real client from the Mac App Store. They use different libraries to store data.

You can do it on iOS too. I have both. I use the beta 99% of the time until something breaks, and can always fall back on the installed App Store client.

No way to do on Windows short of a VM that I know of.

• Level 5*
On 9/29/2016 at 10:07 AM, briancaldwell said:

I know some of you are on Mac and some on Windows. Either way it would be great if you could encourage users to update to the latest beta and give it a thorough test ride. Spread the word to other forum members please?

As @EdH mentioned, using any beta software is high risk, and, IMO, no one should use it with their production Evernote account, since you have the real risk of losing and/or corrupting some (or all) of your real Notes.  

EDIT:  2016-10-06 12:46 AM CT -- Add Beta Update Screenshot

EN-Mac-Beta-Warning.png

I was going to suggest using another Evernote account for testing betas, but I don't know if it is possible to use two different versions of Evernote on the same Mac (one version would be the beta, the other would be the production version you are using). Can anyone from @Evernote comment on this?

17 hours ago, intotheblue123 said:

When I copy or cut text that has any formatting attached to it (like a hyperlink), the formatting disappears when I paste it. Doing legal research, this is a huge pain. Downloaded the App Store version and just downloaded this beta version to see if addresses the issue. It does not. 

Yep, we know about this one and we are working on it now. Thanks for reporting!

On 01/10/2016 at 8:03 PM, DTLow said:

Not sure of which issues you're referring to, there are a few.

As to "select text from PDFs",

Evernote Mac has a built-in PDF viewer. My experience is that I can not select text with it.
I have to open the pdf in an external app, for example Adobe Reader

Evernote IOS also has a built in PDF viewer, and allows text to ben

Note: there are two types of text in a pdf 
1. Image of text; the text can not be selected
2. Actual text; the text can be selected

Evernote has an OCR process, but it's only for search purposes.  The text is not added to the pdf 

It has always been possible to select text in PDFs from within Evernote. Recently that functionality has been inconsistent, and often it has not worked at all. I'm hoping this will be fixed as well.

I'm seeing messed up lists similar to what LSS1 is reporting.

I discovered that exporting the note at HTML will produce a list in HTML that looks correct. So this seems to be a rendering issue in Version 6.10 Beta 1. 

I must admit I've been using Evernote betas in my production environment for several years without issues with corrupted notes, so I was a bit shocked by this. Evernote has always been exceptionally stable in keeping my notes safe, but I will definitely be more careful now that corruption feels only a checkbox away. :)

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that this had already been dealt with. Glad to hear that you guys already have a working fix. Good job! :)

I am running Evernote Mac Version 6.10 Beta 1 (454143 Direct).

I don't know if this was existing earlier but in presentation mode, when the user right-clicks, there are a lot of features in the menu which is awesome (please see the 1st image).

However, when I click on 'Export Presentation as PDF', I get this error (please see image 2).

1.png

2.png

When I copy or cut text that has any formatting attached to it (like a hyperlink), the formatting disappears when I paste it. Doing legal research, this is a huge pain. Downloaded the App Store version and just downloaded this beta version to see if addresses the issue. It does not. 

Hi, 

I am using the latest beta (6.10 Beta 1) on OSX 10.12 on a MacBook Pro Retina. Has anyone experienced any issues with the presentation mode causing high cpu usage? I only found the post below addressing something like this but since I am running a beta I wanted to post this here. 

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-01 at 10:57 AM, Endemite said:

Does the beta address any of the issues in Evernote running on macOS Sierra. Mostly I'm interested in the way it handles PDFs, i.e. can I select text from PDFs right from Evernote?

Evernote Mac has a built-in PDF viewer. My experience is that I can not select text with it.

Evernote IOS also has a built in PDF viewer, and allows text to be selected

Evernote has an OCR process, but it's only for search purposes.  The text is not added to the pdf 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks for reporting this, we are aware of the issue. It has been fixed in internal builds, and will be available in the next beta. Your lists will only be modified if you open the note and make an edit. If you do not open the note and edit it, the lists will not be modified.

Thanks Johnathan. that matched my test before I reported back. I'll edit lists on my iphone, Windows client, and the web until then.

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-11 at 10:22, daniellyle said:

Anyone know when the new version will be available? I accidentally downloaded the bata and can't revert back so I am having to work online rather then from the app. 

I downgraded my app; see notes at

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Rex said:

Ironically, Evernote is the only piece of (non-phone) software I've paid for in about 10 years ... not counting OSX.  

As a paying customer, you should be contacting Support and opening a ticket
The link is Contact Evernote Support

Please let us know the outcome

On 10/9/2016 at 5:34 PM, DTLow said:

The last time I had font errors (with Pages) it resolved itself with a simple machine reboot. 

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I've rebooted about a dozen times since I made the post, I've installed one or two more versions (including the latest about 5 minutes ago), and I still get the error each and every time, as well as the subsequent error when I click "Download".

And I'm going to have it for, if I were to take a reasonable guess, at least the next 12 months.  I've paid for Evernote since 2011, and that's just the way it goes with the product.  I guess it's good enough that the bugs don't overshadow it's usefulness, but that's about as tepid an endorsement as one could make for software.  

Ironically, Evernote is the only piece of (non-phone) software I've paid for in about 10 years ... not counting OSX.  Wait, I paid for Parallels too, so that makes two or three I guess.  People squawk on about Open Source and accountability, but commercial software is more bug-riddled by a double-digit factor, and if it doesn't make obvious business sense to fix them (you and I complaining about them as opposed to Microsoft complaining about them), then it's a crapshoot.  

It sucks being fiscally irrelevant, and the only way you can mitigate it is by paying for as little software/services as possible.  At least that way you can fix the bugs yourself if they bother you enough.

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-11 at 8:51 AM, PAkin said:

Hello, I just downloaded this and now I am getting the following message and can't open Evernote. 

Version too old.

Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version

In case no one replied to you on this.

You might want to check for Evernote apps on your computer.
You may have two versions - an old version and the new version

Failing that, my solution would be to start fresh

- Delete the app and database
- Reinstall the app and let the database be rebuilt from the servers
  Note: The rebuild does not include local notebooks or unsynced notes

On 10/11/2016 at 1:35 PM, EdH said:

You should be able to uninstall and then install the release version. Have you contacted support if that doesn't work? They can walk you through deleting your local databases and redownloading from the web - assuming ALL if your data is online - no local only notebooks.

Thanks! I'll do that!

On 10/1/2016 at 8:03 PM, DTLow said:

Evernote IOS also has a built in PDF viewer, and allows text to be selected

Thank you for the reply. I'll try to be really precise: The built in PDF viewer can in fact (at least in the last AppStore version select text really restrictively. If you double click on a line of text in the built in pdf viewer it will select that line of text. Since installing the Sierra Public beta I'm not able to drag and select text from PDFs with the built in viewer, and I contacted support to double check if this is the normal behaviour (I wasn't sure, although I was inclined to believe that previously I was able to copy the text from the built in PDF viewer and paste it into another app). The support at the time confirmed that this is in fact a bug related to Sierra PB (I was really clear about the problem, I even made a screencast of it). To this day the behavior hasn't changed. It goes without saying that the PDFs are not images of text but actual text.

Now, I "developed" another problem with Word attachments in the latest AppStore version of Evernote on Sierra. The preview of the .doc and .docx attachments is blank. You can see an example here http://d.pr/i/10sKb.

Another serious problem was loosing the attachments open in other apps, but this morning Evernote gracefully apologised for the inconvenience with an offer to extend my premium subscription for free. Needless to say, I'm grateful for this and was able to restore the documents I lost.

The first and second problem are still present, and I think that they should be addressed in the near future.

Using EN 6.10 Beta 1, Macbook Air

A note that contains a list of URL links no longer shows them in the editor. When I view the same note from its public URL, the list of URL links is still visible. 

Jay

Another issue with the new BETA - the google drive links take over the ability to create custom tile for a link in a list.  Example:

1. Create a bullet list
  2. Add text "This is my link text"
  3. Select the text and insert link to a google doc. Click OK.
  4. Note how the Google doc icon shows up on the next line and the text is removed

Is there a bug tracker we can see somewhere to determine if we have a new or known issue with BETA releases?

I'm running Evernote (6.10 Beta 1) and finding two issues:

1. Notes opened in a new window are always titled "Untitled" even when they have a title
  2. The navigation within a table cell using the new note format (the backend change in 6.10 beta..) is weird with bullets/numbering:
    1. Create a new note with a  single 1x1 table
    2. Start a bulleted/ numbered list and an entry "my one". Press enter.
    3. Type "my two" on the second bullet.
    4. Try to navigate "up" with the keyboard. Note how the cursor does not move up.You can press left-arrow to get back up or click on the first line.
    5. (Doesn't happen with a simple numbered or bulleted list that is not within a table)
25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

All of us in the beta stream are identifying and reporting issues
I think @EdH was responding to your "Can you please solve this ASAP?" post
Opting out of the beta program sounds like a valid solution.

I asked, if possible, to solve it ASAP to try minimize the workflow disruption of the many beta-tester involved in the program because I think that many, like me, use only the beta-version in their daily personal work (I'm not using it for any job-related stuffs).

I didn't want to sound un-respectful for other people work or sound like I was giving an authoritarian order (I'm not the EN Developers' manager). Considering the seriousness of the issue I simply underlined it, no more, no less.

I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful for this beta release by opting out but I prefer not to risk compromising my notes.

I'll keep an eye on the thread and get back on the beta soon as it is fixed.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, daniellyle said:

Anyone know when the new version will be available? I accidentally downloaded the bata and can't revert back so I am having to work online rather then from the app. 

You should be able to uninstall and then install the release version. Have you contacted support if that doesn't work? They can walk you through deleting your local databases and redownloading from the web - assuming ALL if your data is online - no local only notebooks.

Hello, I just downloaded this and now I am getting the following message and can't open Evernote. 

Version too old.

Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Rex said:

Now, every time I launch Evernote, it tells me that it has to download the "Osaka" font.  Why? I dunno.  I guess one of my notes uses it.  As you might imagine, however, the Osaka font *is* installed on the machine.  But "okay", I think, go ahead and download it, and I hit that button ... at which point it tells me to check my Wi-Fi because apparently, I have no internet connection, which is strange, because here I am posting this message in the Evernote forums.  Wi-Fi is on, and connected, and oh look at this, I'm also connected via Ethernet.  Why, that's one machine connected to two broadband access points, and yes, I've tried with one of them disabled.  I could not imagine, even imagine, why it's having trouble doing it's thang.

The last time I had font errors (with Pages) it resolved itself with a simple machine reboot. 

Great. I could have sworn I unchecked the "Update to beta versions" box long ago, but apparently not, because I got this one :(   Evernote production software is alpha, so I can only image what beta must be ... code compiled 5 minutes ago and immediately released without any in-house testing whatsoever?  Seriously guys, find a way to open source this stuff while retaining license to the servers because it doesn't seem like this stuff should be complicated to fix, you just need some more eyes on it.  Evernote could be stable.  It really could.

And please don't give me the "did you file a bug report?" stuff.  I've filed probably 20 since I've had Evernote, none fixed within 3 months, and I'm not in need of busy work.  I have a job, and have to test my own software.  I don't get paid to test someone else's.  That's a professional function that people should be hired to perform.   More than any trend of the past 10 years, I hate the "Have you filed a bug report?" response to technical issues.  My reply: No, have you done my dishes?  I can't believe that people actually accept blame from companies because the customer doesn't want to work for free.  

Inasmuch as I feel like an abject tool doing this stuff without getting 1099 income for it, since I was dumb enough to download the beta in the first place, I guess it's my penalty, and hey, at least I got to vent a little. So anyway, here goes:

Now, every time I launch Evernote, it tells me that it has to download the "Osaka" font.  Why? I dunno.  I guess one of my notes uses it.  As you might imagine, however, the Osaka font *is* installed on the machine.  But "okay", I think, go ahead and download it, and I hit that button ... at which point it tells me to check my Wi-Fi because apparently, I have no internet connection, which is strange, because here I am posting this message in the Evernote forums.  Wi-Fi is on, and connected, and oh look at this, I'm also connected via Ethernet.  Why, that's one machine connected to two broadband access points, and yes, I've tried with one of them disabled.  I could not imagine, even imagine, why it's having trouble doing it's thang.

In any event, I've attached screen shots.

Thus ends my bug-report-as-forum-post, and I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. 

Thank you, and godspeed.

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 15.31.24.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 15.31.43.png

BUG REPORT for version 6.10 Beta 1 (454168 Direkt)

I have many notes which include images scaled to a smaller size to get up to 3 images in a line. When I open such notes, all formatting is vanished and the picture are scaled back to their original size. When I rescale the images again, Evernote scales them back again to the original size. This rescaling also happens when I modify any picture in the note e.g. cropping or adding some text. This Bug is present since the first Beta update.

Hi!

I am using the latest Beta, and a few days ago a very strange thing happened:

Somehow, while running Evernote Helper, if I press letter "a" Evernote hijacks the keypress, and performs some form of clipping. I checked my keyboard shortcuts, and removed them all just to make sure — the problem still persists. I went through my OS-X shortcuts — same thing.

The only way to return "a" key to the Operating System is to fully quit Evernote (via the Helper menu). 

Note that "Shift—a" works fine. Only the lower cased letter "a" causes the clipping (and the clipped note contains nothing at all: no text, no images, so I have no idea what it is that it's clipping. 

Any help is much appreciated!  Here is my preferences window, and then a clipping dialog after pressing letter "a":

evernote-prefs.png

Screenshot_10_7_16__5_31_PM.png

All_My_Notes_—_Evernote.png

On 10/4/2016 at 5:20 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Don't think that will work either.  A Mac app is really a special kind of folder that holds lots of resources and pointers.  

Black holes have been reported, but not confirmed.  B)

That's just what THEY want you to believe :unsure:

• Level 5*

You did have some limited markdown support earlier this year.

It was a pretty horrible implementation though as the markdown itself wasn't viewable by the user and wasn't transportable.

If I worked there, I'd try and forget it too...

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, LSS1 said:

All of them are corrupted in the MAC app... On the web I only looked at the most recent (today's) and it was corrupted ... but looking back at previous days they appear to be ok.

I am shaking a bit less now.

So just looking at the corrupted them, or editing them?

All of them are corrupted in the MAC app... On the web I only looked at the most recent (today's) and it was corrupted ... but looking back at previous days they appear to be ok.

I am shaking a bit less now.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, LSS1 said:

I just updated to the new beta..... All of my lists are out of order. I keep of log of things in my logs

Are all your notes really corrupted?  Check out the master version at www.evernote.com

I just updated to the new beta..... All of my lists are out of order. I keep of log of things in my logs:

• Item1
    • Sub1-1
    • Sub1-2
  • Item 2

I have hundreds and hundreds of notes.....

Now they are all displaying as

• xxx
    • Sub1-1
    • Sub1-2
  • Item1
  • Item2

I just updated to the new beta..... All of my lists are out of order. I keep of log of things in my logs:

• Item1
    • Sub1-1
    • Sub1-2
  • Item 2

I have hundreds and hundreds of notes.....

Now they are all displaying as

•  

I have an issue with the beta 1.

All my notes including nested lists had been modified, in particular the items of the top list have been shifted down.

Can you please help to fix this? Pretty much all my notes have been turned upside-down.

Example:

1. Item A
    1. Item A.1
    2. Item A.2
  2. Item B
    1. Item B.1
    2. Item B.2
  3. Item C
    1. Item C.1
    2. Item C.2

This list gets resorted to:

1. [MISSING ITEM]
    1. Item A.1
    2. Item A.2
  2. Item A
    1. Item B.1
    2. Item B.2
  3. Item B
    1. Item C.1
    2. Item C.2
  4. Item C
46 minutes ago, briancaldwell said:

I'm not aware that we announced support for Markdown, but I rely on Evernote a lot so perhaps my memory is failing me.

Markdown support was announced in this blog post, which is now more than a year old: https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/22/the-future-of-writing-in-evernote/

(And no, those fancy Markdown-like shortcuts don't make Evernote a basic Markdown editor! Sorry, not even close. )

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, briancaldwell said:

I'm not aware that we announced support for Markdown, but I rely on Evernote a lot so perhaps my memory is failing me.

It might have been this blog post they were referring to.  Not an announcement but does hint on basic markdown coming.  Maybe the basic markdown was referring to this (in Windows).

markdown.jpg

• Level 5*

@briancaldwell

I'm a Windows-only guy, but I'm happy to help out. The recent changes (e.g. saved view contexts, hierarchical tag search, code block) have been nice, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around them to see how they operate in my workflows and in general. 

When will we see proper Markdown support? It's been announced a year ago and the perspective to get it is the only reason why I haven't migrated to a different solution yet. Also I'm a bit worried about feature partity. Even there has been "code blocks" for some time now in the Mac and Windows client (which is superbasic by the way - no code highlighting, awful linebreaks which makes it almost unusable), but the iOS app doesn't allow to create code blocks. Now the Mac editor gets rewritten - how about Windows, iOS, Andorid, Web? Sounds like there will be more feature differences in the future (i.e. that the Mac app will see improvements that can't get easily implemented for the other platforms).

I've been a paying pro customer for years, but I'm really getting more and more unhappy when I see that there's such a lack of providing even relatively simple improvements like Markdown support or proper code blocks.

• Level 5*

Thanks @briancaldwell. I did play with it some last night but not intensely. On the surface, it was fine. I plan to use it heavily more this weekend. Unfortunately my daily driver is a Windows machine during the week.

My biggest issue with EN on Windows and Mac is lack of parity. I long for one client UI that gives us the best of both.

@EdH I can't answer your specific question but wanted to pop in to ask that you and the other high traffic GURU's in here begin to thoroughly beta test the new editor. Ideally you don't see any feature differences with the old editor, so if you do spot missing bits, we really encourage you to report them. As Chantal mentioned, this new editor is the beginning of a future of rapid iterations going forward. 

@jefito @GrumpyMonkey @DTLow @csihilling @Dave-in-Decatur 

I know some of you are on Mac and some on Windows. Either way it would be great if you could encourage users to update to the latest beta and give it a thorough test ride. Spread the word to other forum members please?

• Level 5*

Any chance this fixes the issue where notes aren't merged in the order selected? Kind of a pain to test as you have to create fake notes then make sure they aren't selected in the natural order that the current release client merges them in, which is either in order created, reverse order created, the order edited, reverse order edited, or the order of the Nth character in each note, where N is a random prime number seeded with the declination of Jupiter rising against Betelgeuse. I can never remember which. ;)

I am new to Evernote Beta for Mac. Before I test out the new editor, I would like to clarify this - in Windows Beta, the Evernote update replaces its own shortcut with a 'Beta' tag on the icon which I like. In Mac, it appears to be slightly different. There are 2 applications for Evernote now - the old version and the new Beta version. Is there a way to distinguish between the two or combine the two? When I click on the old version it asks me to open the latest version which makes sense.

When I click on 'Check for updates' on the Beta version it shows me this (please see image 2) - is this expected or should I follow the steps mentioned?

1.png

2.png

10 hours ago, DTLow said:

Not sure what's going on.

I'd recommend deleting both apps and reinstall the application.

If there is a database problem, delete the database and let it be rebuilt from the servers.

Warning: The rebuild doesn't include local notebooks or unsynced notes.

I moved my Evernote Beta app to the Applications folder as it was mentioned in the dialog box. I replaced the previous version with this one. Now there is only one application so I suppose that solves the problem. On clicking 'Check for updates', Evernote Beta now shows this (please see image). This is normal right?

1.png

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, SergeGardien said:

EdH, I'm doing my work of beta-tester by communicating in a direct way what works, what not and what is a serious issue.

Given the seriousness of the issue (the notes are effectively corrupted if edited but still look ok on the website if not edited) I'm going to uninstall the beta until this is not fixed.

All of us in the beta stream are identifying and reporting issues
I think @EdH was responding to your "Can you please solve this ASAP?" post
Opting out of the beta program sounds like a valid solution.

7 hours ago, EdH said:

Solve what ASAP? You realize this discussion is about the beta, right? You shouldn't be using BETA builds in mission critical systems, but expect glitches through the beta process. If this is an issue, you should uninstall, then install the release version and stick with that.

EdH, I'm doing my work of beta-tester by communicating in a direct way what works, what not and what is a serious issue.

Given the seriousness of the issue (the notes are effectively corrupted if edited but still look ok on the website if not edited) I'm going to uninstall the beta until this is not fixed.

I'm having a problem with the default font size.

When i set the default font size to Arial 14 in the preferences, new notes are formatted with Arial 11, when i set the default to Arial 18, it's Arial 14 for a new note. Arial 24 to Arial 18 and so on.

Is that a known issue?

macOS Sierra, Evernote Version 6.10 Beta 1

1. The todo square cannot be copied and pasted.

2. After selecting multiple lines, and press command+shift+t will have an unexpected result---i.e., the todo square appear in unexpected place.

3. Some old formats have been changed.

The format before:

Snip20160930_5.png

The format after updating:

Snip20160930_8.png

Ug... Updated without thinking about it because I always do... Bullet points are totally whacked out... The bullet points are now appearing in reverse order... For example, a section that may contain five bullet points has point 1 on the bottom of the list and point 5 on the top of the list. It even preserves the justification... The bullet points are justified further to the right as they ascend rather then descend. It's like the whole section is turned upside down.

53 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Please look at the print function.
I was checking for Note title.  I see the title is now printing.
Problem: The header checkbox seems to have no effect - headers aren't printing
Problem: The note body sometimes doesn't print

Also reported by @AndyG2 at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/7254-request-print-title-info-in-printed-notes/?do=findComment&comment=432706

We're looking into the print issue right now, thanks for pointing this out!

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, ChiragC said:

I am new to Evernote Beta for Mac. Before I test out the new editor, I would like to clarify this - in Windows Beta, the Evernote update replaces its own shortcut with a 'Beta' tag on the icon which I like. In Mac, it appears to be slightly different. There are 2 applications for Evernote now - the old version and the new Beta version. Is there a way to distinguish between the two or combine the two? When I click on the old version it asks me to open the latest version which makes sense.

When I click on 'Check for updates' on the Beta version it shows me this (please see image 2) - is this expected or should I follow the steps mentioned?

Not sure what's going on.

I'd recommend deleting both apps and reinstall the application.

If there is a database problem, delete the database and let it be rebuilt from the servers.

Warning: The rebuild doesn't include local notebooks or unsynced notes.

6 minutes ago, SergeGardien said:

I asked, if possible, to solve it ASAP to try minimize the workflow disruption of the many beta-tester involved in the program because I think that many, like me, use only the beta-version in their daily personal work (I'm not using it for any job-related stuffs).

I didn't want to sound un-respectful for other people work or sound like I was giving an authoritarian order (I'm not the EN Developers' manager). Considering the seriousness of the issue I simply underlined it, no more, no less.

I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful for this beta release by opting out but I prefer not to risk compromising my notes.

I'll keep an eye on the thread and get back on the beta soon as it is fixed.

Thanks for reporting this, we are aware of the issue. It has been fixed in internal builds, and will be available in the next beta. Your lists will only be modified if you open the note and make an edit. If you do not open the note and edit it, the lists will not be modified.

• Level 5*

Please look at the print function.
I was checking for Note title.  I see the title is now printing.
Problem: The header checkbox seems to have no effect - headers aren't printing
Problem: The note body sometimes doesn't print

Also reported by @AndyG2 at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/7254-request-print-title-info-in-printed-notes/?do=findComment&comment=432706

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, LSS1 said:

Are you serious? Yes, this is beta software. And yes there can be glitches. There can be crashes. Some features might not work right. Some features might not work at all. But this isn't a glitch. This "appears" to be note corruption in what is effectively a database program. That's a serious issue that not a glitch. I have lived with many betas and I can live with problems, crashes, broken features, ... but if you don't take corruption seriously then I guess you are right, I shouldn't be using the Evernote beta.

It is pre-release software. Plain and simple. It isn't fully bugged and this is why they release it to adventurious people, to find these issues before they publish to the general population. If that isn't for you, that is fine. I suspect 99.999% of Evernote users are not on the prerelease beta software. 

And I never said I don't take it seriously, but I do put it in context. I'm not going to jump on Evernote for publishing BETA software that has a bug.

I am not at my Mac, but this is what happens on Windows when you check the BETA box in settings. Specifically:

...Beta version of Evernote may be unstable and may result in data loss.

I suspect the Mac clients say something similar, if not the exact same thing, when you check that box.

If you don't like that definition of beta, you could create your own software company and define how beta works for you. I

ENBetaBox.png

Are you serious? Yes, this is beta software. And yes there can be glitches. There can be crashes. Some features might not work right. Some features might not work at all. But this isn't a glitch. This "appears" to be note corruption in what is effectively a database program. That's a serious issue that not a glitch. I have lived with many betas and I can live with problems, crashes, broken features, ... but if you don't take corruption seriously then I guess you are right, I shouldn't be using the Evernote beta.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, SergeGardien said:

Can you please solve this ASAP?

Solve what ASAP? You realize this discussion is about the beta, right? You shouldn't be using BETA builds in mission critical systems, but expect glitches through the beta process. If this is an issue, you should uninstall, then install the release version and stick with that.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, LSS1 said:

Since I have viewed several and they are all corrupted on my MAC but the only one that is corrupted on the web is the current one, I have to assume that it is the editing not the viewing.

I suspect that the problem is not that your notes are all corrupted; but you have identified that the program is corrupting the note when opening it.

This becomes a serious problem when you edit the note because it then syncs and corrupts the master version on the server.

Archived