Very long delay in synching ?

JPAllain

Idea

Hello, I just made big changes in several notes, erasing some and importing some, moving around a lot of data, several hundred megas. I then try to access my Evernote using the Evernote app on another Mac computer and the changes I have made are nowhere to be seen. Also, the changes are not appearing on Evernote.com. What is happening ? Is there a very long lag when a change is made ? How come my Evernote app is the only place where the changes are appearing and i cannot see them anywhere else ? Is it just a matter of time or should I do something to update the Evernote server and other devices ? Thanks for your assistance. 

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. If you 'just' changed several hundred MB of notes,  did you sync manually after the change or just close down the device you were using?  Evernote isn't amazingly fast at syncing,  but it will get there if you give it a chance.  Copying major changes from one account to another - I'd give it at least an hour of manual sync before trying further changes on another device...  you might check the Trash notebooks on both devices too - empty them if you can. 

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, JPAllain said:

Hello, I just made big changes in several notes, erasing some and importing some, moving around a lot of data, several hundred megas. I then try to access my Evernote using the Evernote app on another Mac computer and the changes I have made are nowhere to be seen. Also, the changes are not appearing on Evernote.com. What is happening ? Is there a very long lag when a change is made ? How come my Evernote app is the only place where the changes are appearing and i cannot see them anywhere else ? Is it just a matter of time or should I do something to update the Evernote server and other devices ? Thanks for your assistance. 

Changes once sync'd are instant, available on the web and other devices when they sync. Check your Sync log and see what it is doing. You may have a stuck note that is preventing the rest from syncing.

Thanks again. I did sync manually. But it's been several hours now and the website is still not showing the changes. I've emptied the Trash too.

When you suggest to empty the Trash on both devices, isn't there going to be a risk of conflict if I delete files manually in both Trash ? Isn't there a "master" and a "slave" one ? The master being the one where the changes are made first ? If I delete a note on my computer, isn't it going to be deleted on all devices that I use afterwards ?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, JPAllain said:

Thanks again. I did sync manually. But it's been several hours now and the website is still not showing the changes. I've emptied the Trash too.

When you suggest to empty the Trash on both devices, isn't there going to be a risk of conflict if I delete files manually in both Trash ? Isn't there a "master" and a "slave" one ? The master being the one where the changes are made first ? If I delete a note on my computer, isn't it going to be deleted on all devices that I use afterwards ?

Did you verify the sync worked? Did you check your sync log? Pressing SYNC when there is a stuck note does nothing.

Can you add a new note to the website, then sync your Mac? Does the note sync down?

Are you out of space in your plan? Again, the sync log will show a wealth of info on this.

• Level 5*

If you're not seeing any changes yet I'd agree - don't empty the trash except on the device on which you originally made the changes.  I'm not honestly sure how much information gets transferred back and forth about that folder,  but clearing it out often unblocks a sync.  Have you checked to make sure you've not hit an upload allowance limit?  Doesn't sound as if you actually uploaded much,  but if you edited existing notes and were close to a limit anyway...

• Level 5*
Just now, gazumped said:

I'm not honestly sure how much information gets transferred back and forth about that folder,  but clearing it out often unblocks a sync.

In my experience, the trash folder is sync'd like all other folders. 

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'd like to take a look at that "sync log" you're mentioning. Where do I find it ?

As for verifying if the sync work, after I made the big changes in the notes, I created a new note on another computer. That new note did appear fine on all my devices (iPhone, MacBook and iMac) but that was the only thing new I could see. The previous changes I had made where only appearing on the iMac I originally made them on.

What I'm currently seeing on the Evernote app on my iMac is perfect and that's what I would like to see on all my other devices (and on the Evernote website). But it's not happening !

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, JPAllain said:

OK, I just tried "see information about the note" (sorry, my Evernote is in French and I'm translating) and in the information window, it says "Sync status: will not be synched".

Does it help ?

Yes. So again, the sync log can give more info. It is in the help menu. Not at my Mac so not 100% sure it is the help menu, but click through the menus in Evernote at the top and one will be something about "sync log."

What kind of account do you have? Basic, Plus, or Premium? I am suspecting Basic and you've hit your 60MB per month limit. If that is the case, you have two options:

1. Upgrade to Plus.
  2. Wait until next month's cycle begins for you and sync again. It will upload another 60MB of data, then refuse to sync anymore up until the next cycle begins.

Thanks a lot. I think the "sync log" is called "activity log" in French. I tried to make something out of it but it's just lots of code lines with a couple of English words in between. Doesn't make much sense to me...

I have a Premium account.

The two notes that won't sync are notes that I imported from old notes in Evernote. Could it be that when I imported them I didn't specify that I wanted them to be synched ? I have a vague memory of the software asking me whether I wanted this import to be this way or that way. Can't remember the specifics, unfortunately...

If that makes any sense to you, would you know how to reverse that bad choice and authorize those two notes to sync ?

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, JPAllain said:

Thanks a lot. I think the "sync log" is called "activity log" in French. I tried to make something out of it but it's just lots of code lines with a couple of English words in between. Doesn't make much sense to me...

I have a Premium account.

The two notes that won't sync are notes that I imported from old notes in Evernote. Could it be that when I imported them I didn't specify that I wanted them to be synched ? I have a vague memory of the software asking me whether I wanted this import to be this way or that way. Can't remember the specifics, unfortunately...

If that makes any sense to you, would you know how to reverse that bad choice and authorize those two notes to sync ?

You cannot selectively sync a note. You can have a notebook set to be a local notebook, and you cannot change it. You can, however, move the notes in the local notebook to an online notebook and they will then sync.

And yes, probably called activity log. I just call it sync log because I think that is what it was called years ago and I never changed. Sorry for the confusion there.

So, being premium, you have a 2GB per month upload limit, so I really doubt that is the issue.

The activity log will tell you specifically what is going on with a note though. Sync again, then open the activity log. Maybe copy all of it to Word or something. Now look for the title of the note you are having an issue with. See if it says anything that makes sense.

You may need to contact official support. You can submit the activity log to them and they will tell you what is going on. WIth Premium, you have email and chat support options available. 

Archived