Problems annotating in Sierra

Go to solution Solved by BSR,

You're right chuckkahnthe backup solution is not very good.  But as DTlow mentioned, it really is just a precaution in case something goes horribly wrong. It isn't necessary for the move to the alternative version of Evernote. 

To create the backup,

• select all your notes using Cmd+A, you should see the count of selected notes displayed just above the buttons for merge, share, create table of contents, etc.
  • On the menu choose File>Export Notes...
  • enter the file name and location for the backup. 
  • After it starts  you should see the count of saved notes progressing. 
  • Once the backup is finished you could copy or move it to an external disk if you were feeling really cautious. 

DTLow is right with the advice not to over think it. I deleted the old app before installing the new one but it doesn't seem to matter. After installing the new app it automagically copies the the database to the new location.

After a few weeks I deleted the old database and haven't had a problem since including with updates to my current version "7.5.2 (457164 Direct)"

Hope that helps a bit.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, dfur said:

To create the backup,

•  select all your notes using Cmd+A, you should see the count of selected notes displayed just above the buttons for merge, share, create table of contents, etc.
  • On the menu choose File>Export Notes...

Be aware of the limitations of the export/import as a backup/restore process

• This process loses the notebook assignment, stacks, the note-id.
    New notes are created in an import  notebook; note links are no longer valid
  • The restore can not be restricted to selected notes.  The entire export file is imported.

I clicked option Help and didn't see a troubleshooting menu leading to the location of the database.

Maybe the App Store version doesn't let you see the database location?

Update: Troubleshooting menu appeared.  Found Evernote numbered folder.

Installing the downloaded version over the App store version: After copying the application and agreeing to the terms and conditions and message pops up:

"App Store Installation Detected

A Mac App Store installation of Evernote has been

detected.  Evernote needs to make a new copy of your 

notes.  This may take up to several minutes if you have

a large account."

And then another box pops up showing the progress.

"Copying notes 4.1 GB"

I hope I have enough space for a second copy.   My Windows copy takes up 13 GB so I'm assuming the Mac copy is the same size.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, chuckkahn said:

I clicked option Help and didn't see a troubleshooting menu leading to the location of the database.

That was hold down the option key and click on the Help menu 

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, chuckkahn said:

The "Copying notes" progress box disappeared but no other Evernote Window has appeared.  What's it doing?  How long will I be in Evernote-less limbo?

This should not be a long process.  My guess is minutes instead of hours.

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This should not be a long process.  My guess is minutes instead of hours.

Well it's still going.  And by going I mean showing no signs that it is doing anything.  The last time I saw the copying box it was at 14.1 GB.  I guess I'll just leave my laptop on overnight and hope it clears up in the morning.

14 hours ago, chuckkahn said:

Well it's still going.  And by going I mean showing no signs that it is doing anything.  The last time I saw the copying box it was at 14.1 GB.  I guess I'll just leave my laptop on overnight and hope it clears up in the morning.

Okay it's morning and I don't see any Evernote window or menu.  What happened?   23.47 GB free space on HDD.

On 10/30/2018 at 9:30 AM, chuckkahn said:

Okay it's morning and I don't see any Evernote window or menu.  What happened?   23.47 GB free space on HDD.

Okay I selected quit Evernote from the Dock and a box popped up with the options Cancel and Quit and I selected Cancel and then a sign into Evernote box appeared.  Once in I checked the database location and it is now (Calculating Size):

/Users/charleskahn/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com

Whereas the old location (20.08 GB) was:

/Users/charleskahn/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com

The layout switched from Snippet View to Card View so I switched it back.

I was taken through the SnapSnap setup which I already did three years ago.

Update: Opened a scanned .pdf document and deleted one page and saved with no problem.  Two years of suffering over!

• 9 months later...

Just adding my voice to this insane thread. As of August 2019, the issue of not being able to use Apple's Preview application to edit PDF files in notes still exists for the App Store version of Evernote. Personally, I've had this issue for a while (years?) and have been working around it. Guess I got fed-up today and found this thread. I was using Evernote Version 7.12 (457936 App Store) on macOS Mojave (10.14.3). Anyway, switching to Evernote Version 7.12 (457935 Direct) fixed the issue. Complete madness.

• Level 5

@dlh2109 Before complaining please read through this:

The Mac App Store version is the same software as the direct download from EN. However, when you install from the App Store, the app will run in a sandboxed mode. This is done by MacOS, not by EN ! Because of this, it will restrict the exchange of information between apps.

On my MacBookPro (Mojave), I am running EN with the direct version installed.

I can open any pdf inside of a note (eye-symbol), choose open with Preview, then use the edit tools in Preview, close it, and it will automatically save all my annotations into the original note inside of EN, without any further action needed. When I have both apps side by side, I can even see the change in the EN window while I am drawing stuff into the attachment in preview. It works perfectly, and it collaborates seamlessly.

If you want to get this function as well, I think you should uninstall the current EN app from your Mac - I will not describe here how to do it in detail. If you are not sure, search the forum, I have described it several times in other threads. Then download the app directly from the EN website, install it and sync your stuff from the EN server.

• 1 year later...