Problems annotating in Sierra

Go to solution Solved by BSR,

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, canadianoutlaw said:

Now evernote has really messed up. Just downloaded the new update and I can't open files saved in a note as an attachment. The only way for me to open/edit a word document, for example, it is to "save" the note in a different location on my computer and then reattach it to the note after my edits have been made. This is suboptimal. Please help!

This has been discussed, and is being worked on

I can open attachments (pdf) and view them.  However, they seem to be read only.

If I update the attachment I need to save to my desktop and the drag the new copy  into the note.

• Like 1

Updated to the new version this morning, still not able to annotate my files. 

I am yet to see what the new or improved features justifying charging premium members more, are.

The new versions are working worse than the previous ones, and yet no-one at Evernote seems to be in a hurry to find a fix.

Considering the new pricing policy, this is getting increasingly frustrating. To a point where resigning from the premium offer (since the annotation is the reason I subscribed), and migrating could be an option. There are even tools for that for Mac now.

So please don't tempt me and get your act together.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Nicolas PL said:

The new versions are working worse than the previous ones, and yet no-one at Evernote seems to be in a hurry to find a fix.

You do realize this was caused by the OS Sierra upgrade.
Some things got broken when Apple upgraded their Mac OS; some were recognized ahead of time and taken care of - other problems are being followed up on
My understanding is that Evernote is working on a fix

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You do realize this was caused by the OS Sierra upgrade.
Some things got broken when Apple upgraded their Mac OS; some were recognized ahead of time and taken care of - other problems are being followed up on

1) The responsibility lies with Evernote to keep up with Apple. This is what the Sierra beta process is for. If they can't keep up, they shouldn't be in the software business, or at least in this part of the software business.

2) "Your understanding" is totally unhelpful to us. What we all need are results, and Evernote would do well to provide official updates on this forum. You've already commented this is a "user forum" but it is also an Evernote hosted forum and "customer service" is location agnostic.

Evernote is lucky in that it seems their users are both very patient and without many other options, but the length of time it is taking to resolve the issue and lack of communication (besides hearsay) is getting old.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

56 minutes ago, WhitneyZ said:

2) "Your understanding" is totally unhelpful to us.

Some people might not be aware that its a known problem and being worked on
They might be interested in the work-arounds

And there are others who just want to post their whines.  They think if they keep posting the same thing as other posts, the problems will get solved faster.

29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Some people might not be aware that its a known problem and being worked on
They might be interested in the work-arounds

And there are others who just want to post their whines.  They think if they keep posting the same thing as other posts, the problems will get solved faster.

I think it is clear to anyone on this thread that it is being worked on. The issue is not whether it is being worked on. The issue is with what urgency and ETA.

That you posted workarounds is helpful to those new to the thread. I didn't quote and comment on you posting a workaround.

Paying users are fully entitled to whine about Evernote's poor customer service (in this case). Consistent "whining" and complaining does actually often times get companies to work faster. Customer sentiment matters. Also, as you said, this is a "user forum". Where else can users vent, if not here?

Please do not chastise people for complaining about this problem. It is neither your responsibility nor does it help paying and inconvenienced customers feel any better about the situation.

• Like 2

Same problem here, really annoying. Have to resort to reading & annotating on my phone which is less than ideal, especially since now I can't even use Preview to annote PDFs without this error appearing "The original document can't be changed, so a duplicate with your changes has been created" (see attached). I used to be able to simply open a PDF in Preview and annotate the original, without having to save a copy and then re-import to evernote.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 13.14.42.png

Our development team is still working on the fix for the issue where Annotation Mode only functions on the first page of a multi-page PDF. For now the recommended workaround is to first select the page on the right hand column of the annotation window, then annotate. Here's a screen recording illustrating the work around: 

f31BrjOY63.gif

I hope that helps!

8 hours ago, BSR said:

Our development team is still working on the fix for the issue where Annotation Mode only functions on the first page of a multi-page PDF. For now the recommended workaround is to first select the page on the right hand column of the annotation window, then annotate. Here's a screen recording illustrating the work around: 

f31BrjOY63.gif

I hope that helps!

Hello Brian,

When using this workaround, Evernote periodically, but reliably, crashes. This occurred in both Beta 3 and in the 6.10 general release. Should I submit a support ticket? Thank you.

20 hours ago, Mike_Rametta said:

Hello Brian,

When using this workaround, Evernote periodically, but reliably, crashes. This occurred in both Beta 3 and in the 6.10 general release. Should I submit a support ticket? Thank you.

Hey there @Mike_Rametta, I would recommend submitting a support ticket so we can take a look at the activity logs from your Mac and get to the bottom of this for you. Let me know the number here and I can follow up on it for you, thanks.

This is a technical answer - use at own risk!!!

Preview will no longer allow you to save documents back into documents which live in the user library folder.

Evernote stores our documents in /Users/myuseraccount/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com - most likely a good design!

I know my way around the terminal - so this is what you can do:

• cd /Users/myuseraccount/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/
  • mv www.evernote.com ~/Documents
  • ln -s ~/Documents/www.evernote.com

Explanation:

First line moves the terminal into the evernote database folder. Second line moves the database folder to the users document folder. Third line makes a link from the original database folder to the documents folder.

The result is that Evernote continues to work, and Preview now thinks the files are in the Documents folder (which they are), and allow us to edit them.

This is not really the right way to do this - But it will work until Apple and Evernote sort out their stuff.

• Like 6
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, WhitneyZ said:

Is there a beta version and if so how do I download it?

As @gazumped said, there is no current version in betaScreen Shot 2016-11-15 at 7.51.51 AM.png

To download beta versions, you have to be using the software downloaded directly from Evernote.

You also have to set your prederences to allow beta downloads

>>When I open a pdf to annotate it is blurry. I am so tired of this.

I have not seen this reported before.
Can you post a screenshot?

I've been regularly and intensely using the workaround recommended by @BSR on Nov 10 and have had no issues using any type of annotation  (Sierra on 13" MacBook Pro mid-2012).  I will be grateful, however, to see normal functionality restored. 

• Like 1
On 11/17/2016 at 11:00 AM, AndyinNJ said:

I've been regularly and intensely using the workaround recommended by @BSR on Nov 10 and have had no issues using any type of annotation  (Sierra on 13" MacBook Pro mid-2012).  I will be grateful, however, to see normal functionality restored. 

Thanks much! I just came here to vent because I desperately need to annotate. I was freaking out that I will have to find another sorting/filing system for my 100+ literature review papers that need to be annotated. I scrolled up and saw the workaround which works for me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2016 at 11:22 AM, Kosterby said:

Preview will no longer allow you to save documents back into documents which live in the user library folder.

Evernote stores our documents in /Users/myuseraccount/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com - most likely a good design!

• cd /Users/myuseraccount/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/

Explanation:

First line moves the terminal into the evernote database folder. Second line moves the database folder to the users document folder. Third line makes a link from the original database folder to the documents folder.

The result is that Evernote continues to work, and Preview now thinks the files are in the Documents folder (which they are), and allow us to edit them.

This is not really the right way to do this - But it will work until Apple and Evernote sort out their stuff.

This solved my problem. Thanks Kosterby!

• Like 2

I have the same problem with Numbers spreadsheets - and they can't be annotated within EN as far as I can see. Everyone here is talking about pdfs - which also drives me crazy, but less so - is Numbers a separate issue or is it all annotations? Like others, the annotation feature is mostly why I pay for premium.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, Sharon P said:

I have the same problem with Numbers spreadsheets - and they can't be annotated within EN as far as I can see. Everyone here is talking about pdfs - which also drives me crazy, but less so - is Numbers a separate issue or is it all annotations? Like others, the annotation feature is mostly why I pay for premium.

Can you provide more details on this.  Annotation is not usually the term applied with spreadsheets

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you provide more details on this.  Annotation is not usually the term applied with spreadsheets

Hmmm, that makes sense, it's more of an edit. Which I used to be able to do smoothly without the workaround.

Ok, so I just tried it so I could be specific and I see I am specifically an idiot. Seems to be working fine. And honestly, here at the tail end of a two-week flu, I don't know if it happened before and stopped now or if I just imagined the whole thing, my frustration with the pdf workaround being so high.

Sorry!

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2016 at 2:22 PM, Kosterby said:

Explanation:

Worked for me. Thanks, Kosterby!

• Like 2
On 14/11/2016 at 1:22 PM, Kosterby said:

Explanation:

This is a genius solution! I am so happy to have found this fix. Was driving my crazy.

• Like 1
On 10/28/2016 at 5:35 PM, DTLow said:

It looks like the annotation problems are still being worked on, so we'll have to continue to be patient

As I pointed out earlier

1. I am able to annotate page 1, and subsequent pages.
    Outstanding is scrolling; For annotating,  I have to  use  the thumbnails in the sidebar to move between pages.
  2. A separate issue is using Preview for annotation.
    The pdf appears to be read only, and a new copy is created.
    I create the new copy on my desktop and drag it into my note to replace the original

@DTLow Regarding point two, I am always paranoid of the 'best' way to replace a file (ie. pdf or word document) within a note if the file has the same name... For your Step 2 above, after saving the new file to the desktop, what is the exact order of actions you take to replace the original? I've tried it in the past and it had reverted back to the old document at times. I have had luck with the following: 

1. delete the original word/pdf/excel file inside the note

2. click and drag the new file into the note (with the exact same name... ie. newchapter.doc or bug.pdf)

3. hit the sync button to make sure it syncs the new file

Is this what you do? 

Thanks!

ps. I really do hope this gets fixed! 

I've been a devout EN power user for years... but things have been getting rough for me with all of the following issues:
- EN spontaneously threw 2000+ notes into the trash without my knowing.... surprise discovery!! (it may have been preceded with EN crashing, cannot say for sure (ticket submitted)
- encryption/password protection feature has always been horrendous (except on iPhone): require password protecting entire notebooks... I currently have hundreds of little text notes in evernote encrypted, and the fact that it allows any password for any little text snippet... well over the years as my passwords evolved and I forgot about those notes, I now find myself unable to unlock many of my text notes from years back (my fault, I know... but I just wish there was a global password for large notebooks).
- merging notes on a mac does not provide ability to order the way notes are merged
- Annotation + editing word/pdf/excel documents in Preview/etc. (above)

Oh boy :(

1 hour ago, howdoogie said:

@Michael Harrison  Indeed that is genius... thanks! It DOES sound potentially dangerous though haha - using at own risk... hmmm, any potential pitfalls here.... -_- ?

Ahh, the pitfall is this: if you are not used to the terminal a simple spelling mistake may do damage (delete all your notes, confuse evernote or the mac...) - and often there is no "undo" in the terminal.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, howdoogie said:

@DTLow Regarding point two, I am always paranoid of the 'best' way to replace a file (ie. pdf or word document) within a note if the file has the same name... For your Step 2 above, after saving the new file to the desktop, what is the exact order of actions you take to replace the original? I've tried it in the past and it had reverted back to the old document at times. I have had luck with the following: 

1. delete the original word/pdf/excel file inside the note

2. click and drag the new file into the note (with the exact same name... ie. newchapter.doc or bug.pdf)

3. hit the sync button to make sure it syncs the new file

Is this what you do? 

Thanks!

ps. I really do hope this gets fixed! 

Confirmed; that's the process I use

To date, this is still an issue

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, howdoogie said:

@Michael Harrison  Indeed that is genius... thanks! It DOES sound potentially dangerous though haha - using at own risk... hmmm, any potential pitfalls here.... -_- ?

Not a solution I'd use (Terminal ...)

If the manual process really bothered me, I'd look at an Automator solution.  I see the steps as

1. Save the current folder of the PDF
  2. Move the  PDF to a workable folder (Desktop?)
  3. Launch Preview
  4. Move the edited PDF back to the original folder
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 7:35 PM, AndyinNJ said:

Seems the problem has been fixed! I'm working today with the latest version (6.10) in Sierra and able to annotate normally without any issues. 

Still doesn't work for me: Version 6.10 (454269 App Store) on macOS Sierra

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having this same issue. My solution, only because I have an iPad as well, is to only annotate on the iPad version of Evernote. On Mac (with EN 6.10) I just view the annotated PDFs. I am not able to annotate on the Mac side, messes things up, sometimes creates a second note, sometimes a second file within the original note, but never allows me to annotate on both platforms.

If this is fixed in 6.11 beta, how do you get the beta?  NEVERMIND!  I found it...and happy to see that it now has working Tabs!!

• Like 1

I'm really quite unimpressed with Evernote on this issue.  So much so I signed up for a forum account to post this.  It has now been almost 6 months and 2 days since I first reported this issue after installing a beta of Sierra on my dev test system.  A number of workarounds have been presented, but they all involve users jumping through either high risk hoops or switch devices. 

Amazingly, Evernote has not resolved this issue.  They continue to promote the built-in annotator, but it really is a poor user experience compared to the simplicity of Preview.

I now fear any Mac OS and Evernote updates coming down the pike. 

• Like 2

Agreed . The built-in annotator is almost never useful to me and the Preview hoops are a constant source of frustration and misery. I would happily continue to pay the premium fee if this were fixed, but at this point I'm starting to look at other solutions.

• Like 2

The terminal workaround aboe used to work like a charm for me but I upgraded to a new macbook pro and can't get it to work. It seems that the last Evernote version is sandboxed so the folder structure is now different. I tried a few things but the evernote fails to open.

This is really super annoying. Croping images, commenting or highlithing PDF is so much more handy on Preview...

This is really important and exciting to get fixed! The annotation capabilities are useless when it comes to filling out extensive PDF forms. Prior to this problem, I could work my way through an extensive application using PDF Pen Pro or Preview, checking off boxes, throwing in signatures, filling in text boxes, click save, and the file would be synchronized for me to access and edit the PDF file anywhere else. Now, as we all know, it tries to make a copy of the file and save it somewhere else. 

For whatever reason, this problem does NOT exist for Microsoft Word documents for example. I can open the document, edit, and save it, and it will save the updated file within my Evernote database without trying to create a copy of it somewhere else. 

So I upgraded to the new beta, and still no luck with editing PDF files in preview. Rather than saving to the original file (which it used to do), an essential function keeping files synchronized and a seamless workflow, it asks to create a copy of the PDF. 

This would mean, each time I make some edits to a file, I would have to save a new file on the desktop, and drag that new file back into the same evernote note (deleting the initial attachment, and replacing it with the new), and synchronizing, to have access to the edited file in evernote. 

To see how it should actually work - editing MS Word documents continue to function properly in Evernote. You open the attached file in MS Word. MS word opens, you edit the file. File -> Save. And Evernote updates the attachment. Everything is synchronized. You only have one file - an up to date working document across all of your devices. 

Not sure where along the way PDF editing in third party apps....

NOTE : I tested this using PDF Pen Pro (instead of Apple's Preview). It worked like it should - updating the existing file. Something about the Preview app is not allowing Evernote to update the existing file which is ashame. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 5.30.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 5.32.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 5.35.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 5.35.05 AM.png

• Like 1
11 hours ago, howdoogie said:

NOTE : I tested this using PDF Pen Pro (instead of Apple's Preview). It worked like it should - updating the existing file. Something about the Preview app is not allowing Evernote to update the existing file which is ashame. 

Thanks for the PDF Pen Pro tip -- I'll check this out next time I have modify a PDF in Sierra.  I've held off installing Sierra on other Macs for this reason.

I refer to the attached post by Evernote employee @BSR.

@BSR  told us that the problem of being unable to highlight text in a PDF would be fixed in 6.11 beta 2.

It was not. Nor was it fixed in the final release of 6.11.

When will it be fixed? This problem has been persisting for far too long.

I am not interested in workarounds.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 20.48.19.png

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've checked with our development team and it appears the fix for this looks is scheduled to come out in the next 2-3 updates to Evernote Mac. I don't currently have a firmer timeframe I'm able to provide.

13 minutes ago, BSR said:

I've checked with our development team and it appears the fix for this looks is scheduled to come out in the next 2-3 updates to Evernote Mac. I don't currently have a firmer timeframe I'm able to provide.

TWO OR THREE NEXT UPDATES? In other words, don't hold our breaths. And given how long we've already waited, it could slip into the next FOUR OR FIVE. This is just ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

@BSR, why was this not fixed in Beta 2 of 6.11 as indicated earlier; and why is it now going to take "two or three" updates to fix?

With all due respect to the Evernote team, the way this has been handled has really been unacceptable. Perhaps if we could understand why this has happened it would help us appreciate the reasons for the delay.

On 5/5/2017 at 8:23 AM, zonderkoolzuur said:

@BSR, why was this not fixed in Beta 2 of 6.11 as indicated earlier; and why is it now going to take "two or three" updates to fix?

With all due respect to the Evernote team, the way this has been handled has really been unacceptable. Perhaps if we could understand why this has happened it would help us appreciate the reasons for the delay.

@zonderkoolzuur

I don't have the full technical explanation, however as was mentioned previously in this thread the short story is that macOS changed the way PDFs were handled in Preview and therefore Evernote's ability to use Preview for annotation of PDFs. Our developers have had a report filed with Apple since the release of Sierra and a fix is scheduled for release in an upcoming update. I don't have a more specific timeframe I'm able to provide. If and when more details are made available to me, I will update this thread.

On 11/14/2016 at 8:22 PM, Kosterby said:

Explanation:

I just wanted to report that my solution still works. It still allow me to sync across devices, and I have felt no ill effects. 

I will charge evernote not a single penny to simply do as above - they can get it in writing if they want. 

In the first line - notice that "myuseraccount" need to be substituted for your username. - or you can write like this instead if you do not know your user account:

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

My killer Evernote demo used to include opening a pdf from an Evernote note, editing it, closing it and having it go back into the note in it's new form.

I can't do this anymore. This is very disappointing.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PeteHarris said:

I can't do this anymore.

Can you be more specific as to the problem you're having
I don't have a problem editing pdfs; note I'm using the latest software versions

2017-05-23_16-38-00.png.9697ea681385d15399c92b13d16cda34.png

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Can you be more specific as to the problem you're having
I don't have a problem editing pdfs; note I'm using the latest software versions

I am on a Mac.

I'm running the latest MacOS (10.12.5) and latest Evernote version (6.11)
I am viewing an Evernote note with an embedded PDF file.
I right-click and choose 'Open' and the embedded PDF opens in the Preview app.
When I go to make a change using Preview tools, 'Edited' appears in the window title and I am essentially working on a new copy. If I close the PDF it will ask where I want to save the file. If I want I can save it and add the new PDF to Evernote manually.

The old behaviour: it just let me change the file in Preview, close it and the changed PDF would replace the one that I opened in Evernote (the expected and preferred behaviour) It had been that way for years and was very useful.

2017-05-23_16-38-34.png.f9bba2b4fb7c06d3214f1c877c523ce7.png

2017-05-23_16-38-08.png.44b0f2c2fda5049a09dddc57e79611eb.png

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, PeteHarris said:

I am viewing an Evernote note with an embedded PDF file.
I right-click and choose 'Open' and the embedded PDF opens in the Preview app.
When I go to make a change using Preview tools, 'Edited' appears in the window title and I am essentially working on a new copy. If I close the PDF it will ask where I want to save the file. If I want I can save it and add the new PDF to Evernote manually.

Confirmed.  Annotating using Preview requires an extra step
Its a known problem, introduced with the Sierra OS upgrade.  Evernote is waiting for a fix from Apple

18 hours ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed.  Annotating using Preview requires an extra step
Its a known problem, introduced with the Sierra OS upgrade.  Evernote is waiting for a fix from Apple

Oh boy. Does Evernote really think Apple will fix this? Did Apple say they were going to fix it? It has been months with nothing done about it....

Plus, why would Apple fix something like this when they continue to advance their own Notes software, making it more and more similar to Evernote and pushing their iCloud subscription along with it?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, radkon said:

Oh boy. Does Evernote really think Apple will fix this? Did Apple say they were going to fix it?

5 hours ago, radkon said:

Does Evernote really think Apple will fix this?

I think Evernote should work on a solution that does not depend on waiting for Apple.

Maybe store notes in a different place in MacOS? 

For companies depending on external editing of PDFs embedded in Evernote this is quite inconvenient.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, PeteHarris said:

I think Evernote should work on a solution that does not depend on waiting for Apple.

Thats a plan.  I'm sure if they spent enough $ and developer hours, Evernote could resolve this

They could add a surcharge to Mac users to cover these costs, but personally I'd be relectant to pay the charge
Instead of the cost, I'll continue to use the work-around

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 6:48 AM, Kosterby said:

I just wanted to report that my solution still works. It still allow me to sync across devices, and I have felt no ill effects. 

I will charge evernote not a single penny to simply do as above - they can get it in writing if they want. 

In the first line - notice that "myuseraccount" need to be substituted for your username. - or you can write like this instead if you do not know your user account:

Btw, this does not work for me.

Now, I don't know whether that's because I'm on macOS Sierra, the directory is ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts, or both.

Explanation:

Thanks mate! I just upgraded to Sierra, and suddenly i couldn't annotate any PDF's but following your advice i now can annotate as usual!

So +1 for this solution

• 1 month later...
在 2017/6/5 在 AM2點37分, yogik說:

Now, I don't know whether that's because I'm on macOS Sierra, the directory is ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts, or both.

It doesn't work for me either. 

I tried both the address given by Kosterby and by you. If I follow Kosterby's instruction I still can't edit the pdfs in Preview, if I move the files in your address Evernote crashes...

I appear to have fixed my workflow using this PDF Reader Pro Free application instead of Preview:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pdf-reader-pro-free-all-in-one-pdf-office/id919472673?mt=12

It enables me to delete and rotate pages and they are saved back to Evernote without the issues currently present with Preview.

EDIT:

• you can't delete more than one page at a time;
  • to re-arrange pages you need to cut/paste instead of dragging like and Preview;
  • to merge documents or insert pages it's a clunky process rather than the intuitive Preview drag and drop.
Edited by ntahall
Usage experience update
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ntahall said:

I appear to have fixed my workflow using this PDF Reader Pro Free application instead of Preview:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/pdf-reader-pro-free-all-in-one-pdf-office/id919472673?mt=12
It enables me to delete and rotate pages and they are saved back to Evernote without the issues currently present with Preview.

I don't know which specific Preview issues you're fixing, but you'll always get better features with a dedicated PDF editor app
There are a vaious apps to select from; can you summarize the benefits of the indicated app

On 10/07/2017 at 0:29 AM, DTLow said:

I don't know which specific Preview issues you're fixing

Not being able to save back to Evernote deleted or rotated pages in Preview.  It's the main point raised in this thread.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Explanation:

On 5/11/2017 at 6:48 AM, Kosterby said:

On 6/4/2017 at 8:37 PM, yogik said:

On 7/9/2017 at 3:08 PM, oliblue said:

It doesn't work for me either. 

I tried both the address given by Kosterby and by you. If I follow Kosterby's instruction I still can't edit the pdfs in Preview, if I move the files in your address Evernote crashes...

Still works if done accordingly to your setup.

Here is how I got it to work on my setup (macOS Serria 10.12.6 & Evernote 6.12.3)

Use it only of your understand what this is doing :)

My sequence of terminal commands:

• mkdir ~/Evernote\ Cache
  • cd ~/Library/Containers/
  • mv com.evernote.Evernote ~/Evernote\ Cache
  • ln -s ~/Evernote\ Cache/com.evernote.Evernote

Comments:

• Evernote cached directory indeed moved in the last months (I guess Evernote update its app to be sandboxed also, just like it was done for Preview with Serria update)
  • you can't move only a subpart of the sandbox files of evernote but the whole folder (see a hint here). The folder to be moved and symlinked must be ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote and not one of it's subfolder. I tried that initially, it's doesn't work.  Don't know the underlying reason though.
  • I created a folder "Evernote Cache" for my home folder to keep it a bit cleaner and more explicit (just my opinion)

I hope it will help some of you.

Evernote, this doesn't prevent you for looking for a solution!

Preview is by far one of the most efficient and fast PDF reader on macOS.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Guillaume W. said:

Evernote, this doesn't prevent you for looking for a solution! 
Preview is by far one of the most efficient and fast PDF reader on macOS.

This is an old discussion relating to a bug when Mac Sierra was first implemented
afaik, the issue has been resolved.  Make sure your software versions are up to date

I am very aware of the bug and have been dealing with it for months. I had applied the above technique on an older macbook back in January and it worked well.

I bought a new macbook in April and started with a clean sytem. I faced the issue again but decided to give it a chance and wait for an update.

I install updates very regularly. Right now, I have the latest macOS Serria 10.12.6 (not yet yet high serria though) and the latest evernote version (6.12.3). At least, it's the latest version from the app store. From my perspective, it's all up-to-date.

I tried to edit a PDF this morning, I faced the issue again. I had been patient enough, so I took the time to tweak and apply this technique that had worked in the past. 

Unless there is a process to effectively solve the issue, like a fresh install, I don't think this is resolved. Despite the fact that I follow automatic updates, this morning it wasn't working. At least not from my perspective.

After I installed "PDF Expert" I discovered that if I opened PDFs from within Evernote and edited them in PDF Expert (instead of Preview) the changes are saved automatically back to Evernote.

So I guess that is a solution if this is important in your workflow. I haven't tested other PDF editing apps.

在 8/10/2017 在 PM10點02分, Guillaume W.說:

I am very aware of the bug and have been dealing with it for months. I had applied the above technique on an older macbook back in January and it worked well.

I bought a new macbook in April and started with a clean sytem. I faced the issue again but decided to give it a chance and wait for an update.

I install updates very regularly. Right now, I have the latest macOS Serria 10.12.6 (not yet yet high serria though) and the latest evernote version (6.12.3). At least, it's the latest version from the app store. From my perspective, it's all up-to-date.

I tried to edit a PDF this morning, I faced the issue again. I had been patient enough, so I took the time to tweak and apply this technique that had worked in the past. 

Unless there is a process to effectively solve the issue, like a fresh install, I don't think this is resolved. Despite the fact that I follow automatic updates, this morning it wasn't working. At least not from my perspective.

Hi have you tried download the app directly from Evernote website? The issue had been solved in the direct-download version but not the App Store version. I'm facing the same problem and get so frustrated that I asked them for a refund and they told me to not use the app store version. It turned out they solved the problem but never bothered to tell us.

I had the App Store version 6.12.3.455521 and recently upgraded to Mac OS Sierra. Could no longer annotate.  I found this thread and followed the advice to dump my Evernote application and replace with the downloaded version 6.12.3.455520, which is weird because according to the version numbers it's an earlier version.  When I launch the download-version Evernote it said it was moving everything. Once it was done, PDF annotation seemed to work ok again.

Where are the files kept in the App Store Version of Evernote?
Where are they kept in the Download Version of Evernote?
Were the files copied over or moved when I changed versions?  I can't locate two copies of the files just poking around, but you never know.

It is certainly more convenient to enjoy auto updates using the App Store.  Will this ever be fixed in the App Store version or is it a side effect of the sandboxing of App Store apps?

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-18 at 3:57 PM, garmon said:

Where are the files kept in the App Store Version of Evernote?
Where are they kept in the Download Version of Evernote?

59ea1a4f90615_ScreenShot2017-10-20at08_44_34.png.20601d2fa53dd3223a72be017956c100.pngYou can find your database location with
Option Key and Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder

With my direct-download version, the location is   /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/10/2017 at 2:16 PM, DTLow said:

This is an old discussion relating to a bug when Mac Sierra was first implemented
afaik, the issue has been resolved.  Make sure your software versions are up to date

Nope, it's still current and still pathetic.

5a04b064ade99_Screenshot2017-11-0919_36_40.png.0d7af6744023b7467e6851441e5f8c59.png

I have lost confidence that Evernote intends to fix it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was able to resolve this issue changing from the App Store version of Evernote to the version downloaded from the Evernote website.

I am on Mac High Sierra 10.13.13 and my Evernote is version 7.0.3 (456341 Direct).

After backing up all my notes to enex format, I removed the App Store version and installed the downloaded version

On starting Evernote, I was notified that all my notes would be copied to a new location (I can't remember the exact wording). This took a few minutes to copy my 5GB in 4000 notes.

Checking before and after the change I see that the original location of the notes date remains at:

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

and the in addition the same data now also appears at:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

And I am now able to annotate a pdf in Preview and save it back into Evernote without any problems.

I have renamed (and will soon remove) the original data folder and it all seems to be OK.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

On 3/25/2018 at 3:41 AM, dfur said:

I was able to resolve this issue changing from the App Store version of Evernote to the version downloaded from the Evernote website

Exactly the same.  Thank you.  Disappointing that Evernote doesn't acknowledge the ongoing App Store version issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2018 at 10:41 PM, dfur said:

I was able to resolve this issue changing from the App Store version of Evernote to the version downloaded from the Evernote website.

I am on Mac High Sierra 10.13.13 and my Evernote is version 7.0.3 (456341 Direct).

I am on OS 10.13.6 and Evernote is Version 7.5.2 (457172 App Store).  Is this procedure the same now as it was on March 24th?

After backing up all my notes to enex format, I removed the App Store version and installed the downloaded version

How and where do you do this enex backup?  Do you have to back them up one by one or can you do them all at once?

How did you remove the App Store version?  By deleting the app from the Applications folder?

Downloaded version (Evernote_RELEASE_7.5.2_457164.dmg) from https://evernote.com/download

On starting Evernote, I was notified that all my notes would be copied to a new location (I can't remember the exact wording). This took a few minutes to copy my 5GB in 4000 notes.

How did Evernote know where to copy the notes from?  Do all the notebooks and sub-notebooks re-appear after copying?

Checking before and after the change I see that the original location of the notes date remains at:

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

and the in addition the same data now also appears at:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

And I am now able to annotate a pdf in Preview and save it back into Evernote without any problems.

I have renamed (and will soon remove) the original data folder and it all seems to be OK.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not a Mac user,  but AFAIK it's no big deal to migrate from the App Store version to a direct download.  It is a very good idea to backup your notes in case anything goes wrong,  and Evernote covered that here - 

How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

It seems that the direct download version is smart enough to know that App Store versions put their files in a different location than it prefers,  so it will move the files across.  Your database should open in the new version exactly as it was in the old one.

Given that I'm not a user,  you might want to catch up on the backup part of all that,  and wait for more comments from others here on the Mac bit.  :)

I saw that backup page, but it shows how to backup 1 note.  And then suggests you can save tags too... If you want to.   But our situation here is we want to backup everything and restore it exactly as it was.   So that means all notes, all notebooks, all tags (it's scary that that is an option and not the default), all notebook stacks, all saved searches, all shortcuts -- everything.   So where is the page that will give me confidence that this is do-able?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, chuckkahn said:

But our situation here is we want to backup everything and restore it exactly as it was.   So that means all notes, all notebooks, all tags (it's scary that that is an option and not the default), all notebook stacks, all saved searches, all shortcuts -- everything.

Your data is uploaded and stored on the Evernote servers (exception for Local Notebooks)

Your Mac has a copy of this data and you can back up the database folders.  82529016_ScreenShot2018-10-28at06_25_25.png.30769c9f5514f2189d6967b9e2ff1a8b.png
To identify the location, hold down the option key and select Help
         > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder

For myself, I back up folder  /Users/....../1156250
and I can restore this if necessary

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

With the exception of Local Notebooks, all your data is backed up to the Evernote servers.

Your Mac has a copy of this data and you can back up the database folders.  To identify the location, hold down the option key and select Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder

Things I know / Things I don't know / Things I can guess or suspect -- so many uncertainties when transitioning from App Store version to Download version.

I know (hope) all data is backed up to Evernote servers.  But I suspect that the downtime and bandwidth cost of re-downloading ~ 13GB of notes from those servers is high.

I know that my Mac has a copy of this data.   But I don't know whether the database that the App Store version of Evernote for Mac uses is compatible / transplantable with the Download version of Evernote for Mac.  

What's the order of steps?

1) Delete the App Store version of Evernote from the Mac Applications folder first?   Does that affect the database?   Will the database self-delete as well once the application is detected as gone?  Or does ~13GB of orphaned data just sit there taking up space waiting for me to transplant?

2) Then install the Download version of Evernote?   Won't it want to sign in and establish it's own database?   This seems akin to Indiana Jones trying to swap the golden idol with the bag of sand without triggering all the booby traps in the temple.

I guess as long as you quit out of the newly installed Download version of Evernote, that overwriting it's database with the App Store version of the database won't disturb things.  Hopefully the two databases are compatible.  And hopefully there aren't permissions issues between the database files that will make the newly-transplanted database unreadable/unwritable for the Download version of Evernote.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, chuckkahn said:

What's the order of steps?

You don't need to overthink this process.

First, log out and close the app before upgrading
Second, download and install the app.
Third, login and the app will install/upgrade the database.

>>But I don't know whether the database that the App Store version of Evernote for Mac uses is compatible / transplantable with the Download version of Evernote for Mac.  
I know he database location is different.
No assumptions about compatibility and transplantability.

>>1) Delete the App Store version of Evernote from the Mac Applications folder first?   Does that affect the database? 
I don't delete the app before installing a new version.  The new version replaces the old version.
Deleting the app has no affect on the database.

>>Will the database self-delete as well once the application is detected as gone?
I don't know the answer.  You may have to clean up afterwards.

>>2) Then install the Download version of Evernote?   Won't it want to sign in and establish it's own database?

Yes, you login and it will install it's own database.  
I don't know if this a complete download or if it's smart enough to transfer from the previous version.
It is what it is - do not mess with this.