Is it possible to download all my Evenote content?

Go to solution Solved by BSR,

• Solution

Hi @Patrik55, welcome to the Forums!

You can export your content from Evernote at any time using the desktop application for a Mac or Windows PC. For more information on exporting your notes, please visit the following Help and Learning Center article:

How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I can be of any further assistance.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Patrik55 said:

How can I download all my content from Evernote? Is it possible? I want some kind of backup... 

My backup process runs on my Mac
I do exports in both html and xml format

Some people back up the actual database but the restore process is complicated

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, juanclasa@hotmail.com said:

Hi, I need to back up my notes and i can´t. Its only possible in premium accounts?

(sorry for my english, i´m from Argentina)

It's not an account level issue.  
On the Widows/Mac platforms, you have a full copy of your notes.

This makes it easy to backup your notes.
Some people backup the actual database, but I prefer to use the Export  feature.

• Level 5
38 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Some people backup the actual database, but I prefer to use the Export  feature.

1.) What format do you export: 

• as a file in ENEX (.enex)
  • as a single HTML Web Page (.html)
  • as a Web Archive (.mht)
  • as multiple Web Pages (.html)

2.) Do you export an entire notebook at a time?

3.) Do you have notebooks with lots of notes (2,500 or more)

4.) How often do you export everything?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

1.) What format do you export: 

2.) Do you export an entire notebook at a time?

3.) Do you have notebooks with lots of notes (2,500 or more)

4.) How often do you export everything?

My backup process is documented here; I use a Mac and applescript for automation

1. >>Format
    I have a daily incremental backup of changed notes, in both enex and html format
    The enex format makes a reload easy; the html format makes the backup viewable
    This is my version of Note History

I also have a weekly full backup in enex format

2. >>Notebooks
    For the weekly backup, each notebook is backed up separately
  3. I mostly use a single notebook; 8000+ notes.  
    The backup takes about 20 minutes

4. >>Timing
    Daily - Incremental; Weekly - Full
    I only keep a single copy of the full backup; its overwritten each week

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Level 5

Hint: Although the content will be stored locally on the mobile device then, it is not available for other uses, like exporting it. It stays within of the EN app, and can be used only through the app. As long as there is an internet connection, the app will use the database on the server. Offline notebooks are a fallback option for cases when there is temporarily no internet connection. Once it is reestablished, the offline changes will sync to the server, and the server takes over again.

A true local copy of the server data can be achieved by one of the desktop clients, be it Windows or Mac. There the whole data will sync to the computer, and can be exported from EN as ENEX-file.

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As long as there is an internet connection, the app will use the database on the server. ...There the whole data will sync to the computer, and can be exported from EN as ENEX-file.

Android/IOS clients do not offer an Export feature

imho  It should be possible to export data from either an online or local source     
           If online, the heavy lifting will probably be shifted to the server

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

As long as there is an internet connection, the app will use the database on the server.

Not so sure about that -- source for the claim? 

Surely, if online, then a check must be made to ensure that the one on the device is the same as the one on the server, but that doesn't require downloading the whole note from the servers (maybe using http://dev.evernote.com/doc/reference/NoteStore.html#Fn_NoteStore_getNoteWithResultSpec with appropriate parameters?),. If it's already cached and unchanged, then that version can be used, and if edited, can be synced upstairs.

• Level 5

Experience ... in my case iOS. Nearly all of my notebooks are defined as „offline“ and copied to my iPad Pro.

Observation 1: When opening a note, that contains an attachment like a pdf, I must click on the pdf symbol to start the download. The Little Wheel will turn, indicating an internet data flow. It may take a while until the content is available. All this when the note is „offline“ available on my iPad already. EN will not go and get it directly, it goes through the server.

Observation 2: When I change a note, or create a new one, it will be synced to the server . And after that (if you look to the corresponding symbols) it will sync back to the offline notes. So it goes to the server, even when it was created on the very device where all stuff is already saved for offline use. The app obviously first updates the server, and then from the servers master it updates the offline copies.

This is plain observation and deduction - I might be wrong, but I do not think so.

EDIT: After feedback from @CalSI rechecked. The behavior described above is no longer the case with EN 8.24 for iOS. Here it works directly on the offline data. Thanks for getting this right.

Edited by PinkElephant
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
52 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The app obviously first updates the server, and then from the servers master it updates the offline copies.

If you're not online, there will be a delay in syncing to the servers     
Still, I see the updates when I view my notes on the device; they may be pulled from the device cache instead of the offline database

>>As long as there is an internet connection, the app will use the database on the server

I can confirm in IOS, searches will use the server database if online

• Level 5

Correct, this is my observation as well: It drains the Cache where changes are kept, and syncs it to the server. And only after this it will sync the newly changed notes back to the offline copy. It does not change the offline notes directly with the changes made on  the very same device.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Observation 1: When opening a note, that contains an attachment like a pdf, I must click on the pdf symbol to start the download. The Little Wheel will turn, indicating an internet data flow. It may take a while until the content is available. All this when the note is „offline“ available on my iPad already. EN will not go and get it directly, it goes through the server.

For whatever reason, not my experience.  When I open a note containing a PDF in an off line notebook the attachment shows as downloaded and appears immediately after a press.  If I modify a PDF or add a new PDF on the desktop, as long as I sync upon entering EN on IOS the PDF is already downloaded when I open the note. If I don't sync upon entering the app then then the PDF may not be downloaded.  But not syncing upon entering any EN is a bad idea.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The "Little Wheel"? Is that an Evernote thing, or an iOS thing? I'm not seeing that on my Android device. Not very exhaustive testing, but I saw no spinning thing on a 10MB PDF in an offline notebook, but did on the same PDF in a non-offline notebook. I didn't check any kind of network activity tool, though.

Is it possible that your iPad is memory limited? The offline caching isn't guaranteed if available memory is low...

• Level 5

The Wheel is on iOS - no idea what Android does on this.

Just checked the behavior, and yes, well, how to say - my post above showed to be wrong. When I tested it now, it opened a pdf right from the device, same behavior with flight mode or full connect.

So maybe they changed this in any of the recent updates to the app. Anyhow better like this, as well on the mobile traffic load.

And no, I would not call my iPad Pro restricted by any means: 10.5 (2017), still with lightning, 512GB RAM, and fast enough for anything I throw on it, including RAW photo editing.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just checked the behavior, and yes, well, how to say - my post above showed to be wrong. When I tested it now, it opened a pdf right from the device, same behavior with flight mode or full connect.

Cool -- that's what I'd expect, as it makes sense.

• Level 5*

Sorry, I don't know what the link pointed to.  If you have any questions I'll reply

I continue to run html backups on my Mac; daily incremental and weekly full  
and the raw database files are included in my Time Machine backups

The process is automated using applescript.  More details here

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 9/24/2016 at 4:00 PM, BSR said:

Hi @Patrik55, welcome to the Forums!

You can export your content from Evernote at any time using the desktop application for a Mac or Windows PC. For more information on exporting your notes, please visit the following Help and Learning Center article:

How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I can be of any further assistance.

Hey Patrik. Is it possible to do the same in Linux? I would think I'd have to do it through wine but was hoping there was a more native way. 

• Level 5

Since there is (yet) no Linux client, you need to get hold of a desktop client for Windows or Mac. If the Windows client works reliably under Wine, no idea.

Else you could install Windows in a VM, and put the desktop client in there.