Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'data integrity'.
Found 1 result
My data is safe, right? This week I switched laptops, going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (both 64 bit). Everything went smoothly EXCEPT for what should have been the easiest step: recreating my Evernote database on the new machine. I have been an Evernote member since Jan 2009 (premium since Sep 2011) and have basically moved everything important into Evernote. So, not being able to get a clean copy of my full database of ...16,861 notes (?GB) (web client) or is it 16,849 notes / 20.5 GB (iMac client v5.5.1) ?or is it 16,843 notes / 20.7 GB (Win 7 laptop EN v126.96.36.19986) ??or is it 16,845 notes / 17.4 GB (Win 8 laptop EN v188.8.131.52 - see below) ???... is quite troubling!!! BTW, trash is empty and there are no local or unsynchronized folders that I am aware of. Same application error on two different laptops I had been running the latest version of Evernote_184.108.40.20686 on my old laptop with no obvious problems. On Thursday, I downloaded and installed this same version on the new laptop and started syncing. Within a few minutes I received the dreaded "Fatal Error" dialog box. I took the obvious steps to troubleshoot: uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, deleted old files, etc., but kept getting the error. I even tried to recreate the database on my old laptop and received the same error (now I'm worried)! Evernote support was not helpful My next troubleshooting step was to contact support, so I opened "Ticket# 816749 - Fatal Error in Evernote 220.127.116.1186 - can't create new local database". I even went through the effort of including a redacted copy (removed note name stings) of the 4000 line log file for tech support to analyze. About 24 hours later (on Friday) I received a generic "Let's try removing the current database that's on your desktop and start over" response email. Had anyone thought about the actual problem? Frustrated, I quickly replied, pointing out that a log file was available for analysis. Now another 24 hours has passed and it is Saturday, meaning that the earliest I'll hear back from support is on Monday because, of course, "Evernote is closed on Weekends and Holidays." Problem Resolved / Work Around Fortunately, I just happened to have had a few hours free to troubleshoot on my own. I found this threadhttps://discussion.evernote.com/topic/67394-support-response-times/ where a user with a similar problem had reverted to a previous version to get around the error. Fortunately I had saved off a copy Evernote_18.104.22.1684 from Nov 2013 or so and gave it a shot. That worked! I am now running Evernote_22.214.171.1244 on Window 8 and it has successfully replicated my database. No longer panicking, but still concerned I feel better now that I seemingly have a fresh local copy of my data. However, I remain concern about how vulnerable my data may be in a service like this. With two-factor authentication, etc, I am not too worried about security. Rather, now that I am fully invested in the platform, I am troubled by the thought that my data could somehow become corrupted or lost over time - either through application or user error. I suppose should start keeping periodic backups of my data files (and fingers crossed) for some downside protection!