I was having a hanging / not responding problem also. I had 2 copies of the same account running on the same computer - one normal and one in a Virtual Machine of Win7. The VM worked great, the real machine just hung. (the last time I tried to get it running, it started after about an hour.
I found another thread (which I can't find again) started in 2012. One suggestion was to turn off indexing in search and indexing. (I am running 7).
I tried going to the control panel and turning it off under Turn Windows features on or off. (Mine was already off)
I went to Services.msc and disabled the Windows Search service. Restarted Evernote and it came right up.
Knock on wood.
... found the other thread...