Hi Team- This is a pretty generic error in the log file and can point to different errors. "Nope" is on the right track here, but needs to look a couple more lines up in the log file. The issue is most likely the notebook that the "xxxxxxxxxx" note is trying to access. If you see a notebook 4-5 lines above the: 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=PERMISSION_DENIED parameter="authenticationToken" you have found the root cause. In most cases it is a shared notebook that is no longer valid. Perhaps the owner renamed the notebook, deleted the notebook or changed access priviages. Here's what to do: Delete or leave that notebook (right click). Then go back to the person who shared the notebook and ask them to reshare with modify rights. If this is not the case for you, or if you want additional help interpreting the log file, feel free to open a support ticket. We are here to help. I've been having this problem for a few weeks. I then started to try and delete what I thought was causing the problem. Then I found this forum and read the above quoted "helps". After checking out "Help">"Activity Log". I realized that it already knew what the problem was. But I distinctly remembered deleting the problem note. Thus the boneheaded step I forgot to do, EMPTY THE TRASH!! After I emptied the trash, all was well and happy in Evernote land. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully my little reminder to empty the trash will help someone else.