Editing documents attached to notes

Brodersen

Idea

One of the biggest improvements I could wish for, is being able to open a document from a note in Evernote (like double clicking a pdf or word document that is inline in one of my notes), then being able to make changes to it, and being able to Save it like any normal file, and know that the change I made is updated in the note from where I opened the file.

Currently any change I make to a file I'm asked to save it as a new file when I click Save, and then manually move it in and replace the old file in my notes, with the updated one.

Evernote should be able to hold all my relevant files, and allow me to change and update them accordingly.

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Brodersen said:

One of the biggest improvements I could wish for, is being able to open a document from a note in Evernote (like double clicking a pdf or word document that is inline in one of my notes), then being able to make changes to it, and being able to Save it like any normal file, and know that the change I made is updated in the note where the file is located.

This is actually working for me on my Mac
What document types are you haveing problems with?

My problem is updating the same attachments on my iPad
The app needs to copy the document into the iCloud drive.
The only solution I found  is instead of an attachment, I use a link to the document in the iCloud drive 

On 9/20/2016 at 5:57 PM, gazumped said:

...and there's also the Google Drive integration - which you can already use on Mac by embedding a link to a document in a note,  and copy/ pasting the content purely for searches...

I will try to use Google documents more also for this reason, but the biggest issue is pdf files. I'm not very satisfied with the editing capabilities and workflow of annotations in Evernote, and often find myself opening a pdf in macOS's Preview to easily highlight text and add notes, and keep track in the sidebar of all my highlights and notes. Opening a pdf in Preview has a lot more useful pdf features, where as Evernotes Annotations seems more to just for decorating your pdf, and less about keeping track of your notes and annotations, while keeping a good pdf reading experience (like you can't even search inside a pdf while annotating it).

I bought an Apple Pencil which I had hoped to make more use of with Evernote (when I use it on my iPad) and Annotations, but it's a very clumsy experience :(

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Brodersen said:

Seems to be all documents, but most importantly pdf files and word documents

I just did this successfully with a word document
I double clicked on the document; the document opend in Word; made my changes; saved
I wasn't asked to save to a new file

I also tryed a pdf file
I double clicked on the pdf; the document opended in Adobe; made my changes; saved

This is the expected behavior.
- The attachment is exported to a temporary folder
   This is where the updating is done
- When the document is updated, Evernote recognizes the change and imports the
  updated document

I am having an unusual problem since the update to Mac Sierra (not the beta, but the official release)> 

After I initially choose to annotate a note as PDF, there seems to be no way to add further annotations to the same PDF. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

On 9/23/2016 at 2:04 PM, DTLow said:

I just did this successfully with a word document
I double clicked on the document; the document opend in Word; made my changes; saved

I also tryed a pdf file
I double clicked on the pdf; the document opended in Adobe; made my changes; saved

This is the expected behavior.
- The attachment is exported to a temporary folder
   This is where the updating is done
- When the document is updated, Evernote recognizes the change and imports the
  updated document

Okay I really need to solve this, as it seems this is only an issue for me then?

I took some screenshots to illustrate the issue, one with the note that has a pdf file in it, and two of how it looks when I open (double click) the pdf, which opens in mac Preview, and the alert I get when I try to change something in the pdf.

Notice how I used Preview's Highlight feature on some text, and how Preview then say that I am not allowed to make changes to the document, and therefor it created a copy for me.

My current workflow (same for all file types, not just pdf's...) is that after I make a change to the file I opened from Evernote, I have to save it to my desktop, then move it to my Evernote note and replace it with the old attachment. This is slow and cumbersome...

All help to solve this will be much appreciated. I'm ruing the latest mac OS Sierra and latest version of Evernote, and have no other issues with my 2013 Macbook Retina.

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 09.17.45.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 09.17.38.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 09.20.00.jpg

On 24.9.2016 at 11:05 PM, ChuckReece said:

I am having an unusual problem since the update to Mac Sierra (not the beta, but the official release)> 

After I initially choose to annotate a note as PDF, there seems to be no way to add further annotations to the same PDF. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Yes, I do have exactly the same problem since I've updated to Sierra a few days ago. Previously opening and saving attachments (I usually modify some pictures) was working just fine.

Archived