Feature request: task / to do list

claudesaid

Idea

I was surprised not to find this feature request listed in this forum (apologies if I missed it). I tried many ways to use Evernote as a task manager including linking it to Toodledo or other similar apps but could not get it to work properly and efficiently so today, I use Evernote as well as Toodledo separately. It would be great if I could just use Evernote for notes and task list which should at least have the following features: reminders, recurrent tasks, sorting and filtering, notes of course, due dates.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, claudesaid said:

I was surprised not to find this feature request listed in this forum (apologies if I missed it). I tried many ways to use Evernote as a task manager including linking it to Toodledo or other similar apps but could not get it to work properly and efficiently so today, I use Evernote as well as Toodledo separately. It would be great if I could just use Evernote for notes and task list which should at least have the following features: reminders, recurrent tasks, sorting and filtering, notes of course, due dates.

I used Todoist in parallel with EN for quite a while but have switched to using only EN for task management for about the last 6 months.  In your list, the only thing that EN does not provide is recurring reminders.  That was initially a hang up for me as well but I now just reset the date manually.  It is only a few clicks and gives me the flexibility to easily change when the next recurrence should be in case I don't want it be be exactly next week or month (for example).  For my use I found the key was to have one task per note instead of tracking many in one note and then using tags and saved searches.  I have found this works well for me.  If you are a Windows user, the latest beta will allow custom views per saved search and notebooks.  I also use tag color coding to help with tasks as well.  If you want to provide some examples of your work flow I'm sure other users will comment and give you some specific ideas to try.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, claudesaid said:

I tried many ways to use Evernote as a task manager including linking it to Toodledo or other similar apps but could not get it to work properly and efficiently so today, I use Evernote as well as Toodledo separately. It would be great if I could just use Evernote for notes and task list which should at least have the following features: reminders, recurrent tasks, sorting and filtering, notes of course, due dates.

I'm not sure you're going to see Evernote implement task management features.
They did implement reminder date a while back, but that's been all we've seen

I use Evernote for task management as follows

Due Date:  I use the reminder date feature

Sorting and Filtering:

• I use saved searches
    For example, my current task list is this search     
         reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*
         Notes with a due date; exclude future dated; exclude completed
     I could also use searches with different time frames.

I also use Cronofy Calendar Connector to display tasks in my calendar

• Level 5*
On 9/19/2016 at 5:09 PM, s2sailor said:

For my use I found the key was to have one task per note instead of tracking many in one note and then using tags and saved searches.  I have found this works well for me.

I usually have one task per note (it's often a specific bug in our bug database), but track them using note links. Apparently I'm doing some sort of approach that's similar to Bullet Journal (previously unbeknownst to me): I keep a weekly journal, so I can see what I've worked on and includes my current task list; anything that doesn't get finished gets copied over to next week's journal on Monday morning. I use a template note for my weekly journal, and fill in the dates by hand.

Archived