Undo bulk-mode tagging changes

jyc23

Idea

Currently, there does not seem to be a way to undo a bulk tag change. For example, if I have selected multiple notes, I am able to change the tags for those notes in bulk at the bottom of the window (in the desktop client). If I, say, delete a tag for all of the notes, hitting Undo does not reinstate that tag for all of those notes. Instead, Undo just undoes something else. So, it seems that bulk edits to note tags do not register in the undo / redo history. The lack of undo has unfortunately led to some frustration. One time, I was viewing a bunch of notes by a tag. Say I was viewing by a tag which we'll call "tag1" (I click on "tag1" in the tag list). In the notes list I see:

Note 1 (tag1)

Note 2 (tag1)

Note 3 (tag1)

Note 4 (tag1)

Now, let's say I choose Note 3 and Note 4, and add "tag2". But I change my mind, and delete "tag2" but then also mistakenly hit backspace one too many times and also delete "tag1". Now Note 3 and Note 4 are untagged ... and I have to go find them again. In the case of two notes, no problem. But when you're talking about a hundred, you can see the problem. 

The problem would be solved easily if bulk tag edits were part of the undo / redo history. 

This is probably a rare situation but I think because the potential for creating a mess is very big, I think it's important. 

Thanks for a great product!

10 replies to this idea

+1 for this feature or at least change the way bulk tag edit is done.

Here is the problem with the current procedure.

Let's say I want to change all tags "pending" with "Completed".

I go to EN and filter all tags pending. The moment I delete the "pending" tag, all notes disappear and I lost the reference to the notes in order to attach the "completed" tag.

If you don't remember to first add the tag and then delete the old one you will get into this situation.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Forgot to add: Since the update date is not changed when you remove the tag, there is no way to revert the notes. You would have to scroll through all of your notes to fix this mistake.

Yeah, never have understood why a tag change doesn't change the updated date/time.

• Level 5*

To add to the confusion, if you don't have Search when note is updated checked, you can remove the search term from a note and the note stays in the search results until you change the search.  Not so for tags.  The two may be vastly different under the covers, but it seems the same to a user, IMO.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, csihilling said:

Yeah, never have understood why a tag change doesn't change the updated date/time.

Someone from Evernote, probably Dave Engberg, commented in the forums on that awhile back; can't remember the actual reason though. It's never been a big deal to me, but I can see why some folks want it.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, jefito said:

Someone from Evernote, probably Dave Engberg, commented in the forums on that awhile back; can't remember the actual reason though. It's never been a big deal to me, but I can see why some folks want it.

There have been times when I have fat fingered and deleted a tag from a note by accident (typically deleting a tag from the note header when I meant from the search explanation).  Mouse faster than mind, oops.  It can be a PITA to fix if I wasn't looking at the note in focus.  So a new updated date would be "nice".  

Plus, purely from my own order in the universe perspective a tag change is a note change.  The little asterisk does appear for tag changes so they do force syncs.  Just saying.  ;)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, jefito said:

Found it; it was honored Evernote alumnus

Yup, I found that one as well, but thought there was another based upon the Enberg mention.  Interesting the last post references perhaps an option to modify update date or not whether one sees a tag as meta data or not.  Not in this camp.  :)

This is one of feature which rarely needed but it has existed could save hours and hours of time. I just lost all my 2016-17 tax receipt and invoices I tagged in everyone. My understanding from this thread is I have to go through all documents manually and re-tag them.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, rbuzz said:

This is one of feature which rarely needed but it has existed could save hours and hours of time. I just lost all my 2016-17 tax receipt and invoices I tagged in everyone. My understanding from this thread is I have to go through all documents manually and re-tag them.

Unless you have a backup from which you can export and then import the notes into your EN.  If you can, leave them in the import folder and do a compare/clean up, etc.

Archived