Evernote Edition ScanSnap users on Mac: Please Read

amanda_h

There is currently a known issue that affects Evernote Edition ScanSnap users who use Mac computers on the Mac OS Sierra platform (to be released September 20th, 2016). If you are a Mac user using Sierra, or are planning to do so, please read on.

Our partner and Evernote Edition ScanSnap manufacturer, Fujitsu/PFU, has issued a notice warning all ScanSnap users that some pages on PDF files may be deleted when using MacOS Sierra. The details can be found on the following Fujitsu/PFU site:
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/topics/topics20160914.html

Please also refer to the above site for any updates and fixes on this issue.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact Fujitsu/PFU through the following support page:
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/contacts/scansnap_contact.html

EDIT: Adding new link to Fujitsu Q&A: http://scansnapcommunity.com/features/14447-urgent-notice-for-mac-users-serious-issues-affecting-pdf-creation-and-editing-on-macos-sierra-may-cause-permanent-data-loss/

It looks like this effects both new scans and old pre-existing scans. How is Fujitsu going to address the files on my disk living in Evernote? It seems like addressing that problem will have to be a solution coming from you. Are you planning an update to automatically fix all the problematic files?

I just got this alarming email, that seems rather catastrophic, given how Evernote is shared within my organization.  This major OS update comes out in two days (after being in public beta for many months) and NOW we get this alert about the very likely potential for data loss?

My goodness.  I hope you're able to issue a proper fix for this quickly.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Fofer said:

My goodness.  I hope you're able to issue a proper fix for this quickly.

2 hours ago, sayersnet said:

I agree -- this could be paralyzing to my business work . . . any update on an ETA?  

Did you get the message that this is a Fujitsu issue   https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/99800-evernote-edition-scansnap-users-on-mac-please-read/?do=findComment&comment=430368
You are not going to see it fixed by Evernote

Personally, I won't let this "paralyze my business work"; I'll either hold off upgrading, and/or switch to a scanner that works with the new OS
I do appreciate getting the warning.  It gives us options to avoid a disaster

Edited; Sorry if I gave the impression I consider this a minor problem.  It is a horrific problem, escalated because of the timing. Not only will Face a possible delay in the OS rollout, we have to set up a project to fix the corrupted attachments.

DTLow, it is not clear that this will not impact old scans (in fact it suggests that it does). If that is the case then the entire archive of scans inside Evernote could be corrupted and I don't see how Fujitsu would address it. This needs clarification immediately from one of them.

I've been running Sierra and have one of their scanners. I haven't seen any issues but that doesn't mean that there aren't any of course. I don't scan straight into Evernote most of the time. I scan to a folder on my desktop and then stick stuff in Evernote. Not sure if that's why I haven't had any issues or not but just putting that out there. I agree that if you rely on it heavily you should reach out to Fujitsu as it's not something that Evernote has any control over.

This may be a Fujitsu software issue, but the Evernote branded scanner was sold by Evernote and should be supported by Evernote.  Fujitsu isn't printed on the top of the scanner - Evernote is.

Evernote should test the update and distribute it or make sure it is distributed to it's customers by sending them an email with a link in it - not just pass the buck and send an email saying if you upgrade you might loose data and send us to the general support page on the Fujitsu site.  That's pretty weak.

The site doesn't even list the Evernote edition on the scanners when you hit the drop down.  How are we supposed to know when the issue is fixed?  How are we supposed to update our software so we don't loose data?  

The first link says, "We will provide you the solution to these issues as soon as available."  And that's it.  Nowhere does it say how, when or where they will provide this information.

The second link just takes you to a webpage that lists Fujitsu's corporate contact information.

So, there's nobody in Evernote who is going to step up and take responsibility to make sure their Evernote Branded product, marketed and sold by them is not going to randomly destroy data if we upgrade to the next operating system?  Can we expect a followup email to keep us in the loop, or are we on our own here?

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Personally, I won't let this "paralyze my business work"; I'll either hold off upgrading, or switch to a scanner that works with the new OS
I do appreciate getting the warning.  It gives me options

Except it's not that simple.  This huge incompatibility/bug, as described, can delete existing PDFs or pages therein, simply by opening/editing/working with them.  The way Evernote (and ScanSnap) is set up on the organizations I manage, these PDFs are shared across many offices and many people.  Now I've got to tell every single user to avoid Sierra, for fear of losing any/all of this data?  And it's all catalogued in shared Evernote notebooks.  Sure, those are synced through the cloud, and are backed up regularly.  But recreating an Evernote notebook, replacing damaged PDFs files individually as we come across them, doesn't sound like a fun job at all.

I can't even wrap my head around how Fujitsu screwed the pooch on this one.  And they didn't catch it during the 3 months of OS X Sierra's public beta?  They announce it one day before Sierra drops?

By the sounds of it, Fujitsu's scanners (or more appropriately, their ScanScap software/drivers) have created some sort of PDF file that Sierra doesn't work nicely with -- to the point of likely data loss.  So not only does Fujitsu have the task of fixing this for scans/PDF files moving forward, but also to fix it for scans/PDF files it's created in the past.   The more I think about it, it seems like this is something Fujitsu will desperately need Apple's help to fix.  And then, and only then, will Evernote be able to incorporate that fix too, into their own software.  This all sounds like a mess.

Yeesh.  Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking coffee.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Fofer said:

I can't even wrap my head around how Fujitsu screwed the pooch on this one.  And they didn't catch it during the 3 months of OS X Sierra's public beta?  They announce it one day before Sierra drops?

I agree. There is no excuse for this. FWIW, Kwikset did the exact same thing saying that iOS 10 broke their app and you could no longer touch to open their Kevo lock. One day notice after 3 months of beta. At a minimum, these notices should have gone out the day the platforms were publicly announced 2 weeks ago.

3 hours ago, EdH said:

At a minimum, these notices should have gone out the day the platforms were publicly announced 2 weeks ago.

Two weeks ago?

macOS Sierra  was announced publicly at WWDC on June 13. It went into wide public beta on July 7.  

macOS Sierra will be heavily marketed, and pushed via the built in App Store that's on all Macs, as a free upgrade, starting tomorrow: September 20.

We're talking about 2.5 months of public beta testing here.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Fofer said:

Two weeks ago?

macOS Sierra  was announced publicly at WWDC on June 13. It went into wide public beta on July 7.  

macOS Sierra will be heavily marketed, and pushed via the built in App Store that's on all Macs, as a free upgrade, starting tomorrow: September 20.

We're talking about 2.5 months of public beta testing here.

I understand, but I also understand companies not making public statements saying their software doesn't work with a beta of something. Otherwise, there would be thousands of pointless public announcements as companies work through the beta process.

• Level 5*

FWIW, it is any ScanSnap printer, not just Evernote Editions. So it looks like I am in the same boat with my old ScanSnap S1300. Most of my PDFs are from a Windows machine though. I only moved the ScanSnap to my Macbook about 6 months ago. I'm not upgrading to Sierra until I see this resolved, but I wonder if it is only PDFs created on MacOS or all ScanSnap crated PDFs.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, LokiTM said:

DTLow, it is not clear that this will not impact old scans (in fact it suggests that it does). If that is the case then the entire archive of scans inside Evernote could be corrupted and I don't see how Fujitsu would address it. This needs clarification immediately from one of them.

Thats my understanding too - the problem impacts the entire archive of scans
That applies wherever you stored this archive, Evernote, your hard disk, Apple Notes, OneNote
Fujitsu might address the archives, or they may simply issue a single file fix.

For myself, I'd be reluctant to give them access to my Evernote database.
I'm looking at scripting this on my Mac - my initial design is: export the pdf, apply the fix, import the pdf

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Thats my understanding too - the problem impacts the entire archive of scans
That applies wherever you stored this archive, Evernote, your hard disk, Apple Notes, OneNote
Fujitsu might address the archives, or they may simply issue a single file fix.

For myself, I'd be reluctant to give them access to my Evernote database.
I'm looking at scripting this on my Mac - my initial design is: export the pdf, apply the fix, import the pdf

I cannot imagine updating every PDF in my database. Evernote for me is 8+GB, and I suspect at least 4GB of that is from PDF files, perhaps more. I don't store many attachments in EN that aren't PDFs. I have the occasional Office file, but mostly PDFs.

Even as a PRemium user, a refresh of all of my PDFs would bust my 2GB monthly allowance. I would think if it was THAT big of a deal, Evernote would fix them on their end. First, that would ensure everyone's PDFs got fixed and second, everyone has unlimited downloads. EN touches our PDFs to index them in anyway.

But then there is the issue of encrypted PDFs, which EN cannot touch.

I really think the valid fix is for Apple to fix Sierra, because they changed something to cause this.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, DHUser said:

Evernote should test the update and distribute it or make sure it is distributed to it's customers by sending them an email with a link in it

The site doesn't even list the Evernote edition on the scanners when you hit the drop down.  How are we supposed to know when the issue is fixed?  How are we supposed to update our software so we don't loose data?  

I'm expecting Evernote will keep us informed, for example they created this discussion thread

My understanding is the problem applies to all scans created with Fujitsu scanner software, not just the Evernote branded scanners

As @Edh pointed out above, Apple may patch Sierra and we can all calm down, or Evernote may implement a fix on the server side
Until this happens, I am going to stay calm and wait for Fujitsu to identify a solution

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As @Edh pointed out above, Apple may patch Sierra and we can all calm down, or Evernote may implement a fix on the server side
Until this happens, I am going to stay calm and wait for Fujitsu to identify a solution

Yup. I'm monitoring this thread and have set a ChangeAlert for the Fujitsu page that was linked to.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Tom B. said:

Even if this is a Fujitsu-Apple problem, it's something Evernote doesn't need right now when nervous users are already jumping ship in droves. I hope it gets straightened out quickly. 

I'm hoping it gets resolved quickly too.

btw  In case you see "jumping ship" as a solution to this problem
        You do understand the advisory applies to the PDF files created by using ScanSnap software 
         It doesn't matter if you store the pdf within Evernote, your computer drive or download from the Internet
         It applies to all the ScanSnap scanners

Here is my reading of the email that Evernote sent us:

1. You bought your Scansnap Evernote Edition from us.

2. There will soon be a problem with this (expensive) product we sold you because of the hardware and/or drivers made by Fujitsu. You are now in their hands.

3. We have now met the minimum legal threshold of "product support" to you, our customers, as per our lawyers.

4. Good luck!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, katzmark said:

Here is my reading of the email that Evernote sent us:

1. You bought your Scansnap Evernote Edition from us.

2. There will soon be a problem with this (expensive) product we sold you because of the hardware and/or drivers made by Fujitsu. You are now in their hands.

3. We have now met the minimum legal threshold of "product support" to you, our customers, as per our lawyers.

4. Good luck!

Then you misread it. Here is what it means.

1. You purchased an Fujitsu ScanSnap Evernote Scanner
  2. Fujitsu has found a problem with all ScanSnap scanners in how they produce PDFs on macOS, including the Evernote Edition.
  3. They are working on it.
  4. We will keep you apprised.

Evernote has nothing to do with the driver. This would be like buying a Moleskine Evernote notebook and finding out that ALL moleskine notebooks every where had an issue where the paper would crumble. Evernote has nothing to do with the manufacture of the notebook, or the manufacture of the ScanSnap scanner or driver. 

Evernote is caught in this issue just like everyone else and I am sure they feel bad for having recommended a product that now has an issue. If I had to guess, there is more than one ScanSnap scanner, Evernote branded or not, in the EN offices and homes of employees, families and friends.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Tom B. said:

Even if this is a Fujitsu-Apple problem, it's something Evernote doesn't need right now when nervous users are already jumping ship in droves. I hope it gets straightened out quickly. 

It affects every ScanSnap user, so it affects Dropbox users, OneNote Users, or just people that scan PDFs in and leave them in folders on their Mac. 

Pasted below is the email I received. I read through it again and failed to find the words "we are working on it" and "we will keep you apprised" -- or messages to that effect. It mostly refers to "they" (Fujitsu) and directs Evernote customers with any questions (or concerns!) to look to Fujitsu for answers and support.  Maybe I should have signed up for a Fujitsu Premium Account instead. 

Dear valued SSEE user,

This email is being sent to Evernote users who purchased our ScanSnap Evernote Edition (SSEE) scanner on our Evernote Market site.

We would like to let you know about a known issue that affects SSEE users who use Apple's Macintosh computers on the MacOS Sierra platform (to be released Sep 21, 2016). If you are a Mac user using Sierra, or are planning to do so, please read on.

Our partner and SSEE's manufacturer Fujitsu/PFU, have issued a notice warning all ScanSnap users that some pages on PDF files may be deleted when using MacOS Sierra. The details can be found on the Fujitsu/PFU site. Please also refer to the site for any updates and fixes on this issue.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact Fujitsu/PFU through the support page. 

Regards,

Evernote Team

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, katzmark said:

Pasted below is the email I received. I read through it again and failed to find the words "we are working on it" and "we will keep you apprised" -- or messages to that effect. It mostly refers to "they" (Fujitsu) and directs Evernote customers with any questions (or concerns!) to look to Fujitsu for answers and support.  Maybe I should have signed up for a Fujitsu Premium Account instead. 

Dear valued SSEE user,

This email is being sent to Evernote users who purchased our ScanSnap Evernote Edition (SSEE) scanner on our Evernote Market site.

We would like to let you know about a known issue that affects SSEE users who use Apple's Macintosh computers on the MacOS Sierra platform (to be released Sep 21, 2016). If you are a Mac user using Sierra, or are planning to do so, please read on.

Our partner and SSEE's manufacturer Fujitsu/PFU, have issued a notice warning all ScanSnap users that some pages on PDF files may be deleted when using MacOS Sierra. The details can be found on the Fujitsu/PFU site. Please also refer to the site for any updates and fixes on this issue.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact Fujitsu/PFU through the support page. 

Regards,

Evernote Team

Right. Because Evernote IS. NOT. WORKING. ON. IT. They didn't develop the scanner. They didn't develop the driver. They didn't develop the software. Therefore, they will not fix the scanner. They will not fix the driver. They will not fix the software.

This is a Fujitsu issue, straight up. It affects all PDF files that the ScanSnap series of scanners, which is dozens over the years, including a few that are branded/marketed "Evernote Edition" no matter what you are doing with the PDFs. If they are going into Evernote, OneNote, Dropbox, OneDrive, Tresorit, Box, email, gmail, Google Drive, your Mac's hard drive, a USB key, etc, they are all potentially affected.

Finally, we agree! Evernote sent out a note informing us there was a looming and potentially serious problem with the Evernote-branded product they sold us and told us to go look to Fujitsu for solutions.  

I have no more technical expertise than your average end-user but I have no trouble understanding how and why Fujitsu is the only company that can fix this problem. (Well. maybe they need some help from Apple.)  I also have no formal training in customer relations but I certainly was expecting that the company and product I have been a loyal and enthusiastic customer of to offer dedicated support, information and updates to the problem at hand.  That requires more than a link to the Fujitsu website.  Howsabout a sentence like this: we understand that this information about your Scansnap Evernote Scanner may cause you concern and we will make every effort to provide the loyal users with up-to-the minute information about how this problem is being resolved. 

There were a dozen questions that sprung to mind when I read that email and Evernote -- the company whose product I subscribe to for "premium service" at increasingly premium prices -- answered none of them and made no attempt to reassure me that they would be of any service at all in this matter going forward. This is more than a Fujitsu scanner OS compatibility issue; this is a breach of trust between Evernote and its customers who rely on it and entrust it with their most essential documents.  At least it is for me.  Anyone else?

23 minutes ago, katzmark said:

Finally, we agree! Evernote sent out a note informing us there was a looming and potentially serious problem with the Evernote-branded product they sold us and told us to go look to Fujitsu for solutions.  

I have no more technical expertise than your average end-user but I have no trouble understanding how and why Fujitsu is the only company that can fix this problem. (Well. maybe they need some help from Apple.)  I also have no formal training in customer relations but I certainly was expecting that the company and product I have been a loyal and enthusiastic customer of to offer dedicated support, information and updates to the problem at hand.  That requires more than a link to the Fujitsu website.  Howsabout a sentence like this: we understand that this information about your Scansnap Evernote Scanner may cause you concern and we will make every effort to provide the loyal users with up-to-the minute information about how this problem is being resolved. 

There were a dozen questions that sprung to mind when I read that email and Evernote -- the company whose product I subscribe to for "premium service" at increasingly premium prices -- answered none of them and made no attempt to reassure me that they would be of any service at all in this matter going forward. This is more than a Fujitsu scanner OS compatibility issue; this is a breach of trust between Evernote and its customers who rely on it and entrust it with their most essential documents.  At least it is for me.  Anyone else?

I couldn't agree more.  And the lack of Evernote support's comments in this thread underlines the exact issue you're stating.   Even if they can't solve the problem directly, where is the manager who says we should communicate to our users of our products they purchased from us that we will keep them updated and how.  

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, DHUser said:

I couldn't agree more.  And the lack of Evernote support's comments in this thread underlines the exact issue you're stating.   Even if they can't solve the problem directly, where is the manager who says we should communicate to our users of our products they purchased from us that we will keep them updated and how.  

Are we talking about the discussion - started by Evernote to advise us of a problem

afaik    There's been no further news.  What kind of comments are you looking for?

We are all in wait mode

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, katzmark said:

What were the answers to your dozen questions when you contacted Evernote for support? Beyond the recommendations at the scanner support troubleshooting page?

On a related note when I, you know, check the Fujitsu site as recommended in the OP, the issue for me is severely mitigated as I rarely use the B&W scan mode and never the A3 paper size.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, DHUser said:

Even if they can't solve the problem directly, where is the manager who says we should communicate to our users of our products they purchased from us that we will keep them updated and how.  

You mean the one that gave this advice in the OP?

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact Fujitsu/PFU through the following support page:
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/contacts/scansnap_contact.html

Did you want them to periodically repost that? Put it in a different font? Emboss it on gold leaf paper and send to you on a pillow of velvet?

@EdH, What I want from them is more than an email telling me that the scanner I paid a good amount of money from them is having a problem that I could lose data from and to send me to a support page for the people who manufactured the scanner for them.  

That's unacceptable.  If I purchase a rack of hard drives from IBM for my datacenter I don't want to have to deal with western digital - I want to address the problem with the company who sold me the product.  Evernote should stand behind the product they branded and sold me and updated me directly, not just appear to pass the buck.

Evernote last Friday sent out an email that said we could lose data and posted this thread.  I have received nothing else from them since.  The page you posted was written yesterday, and Evernote has not posted a link to it, nor emailed it.  No. If you want to be a smart aleck about it, I don't want it on a pillow.  But, an email with the new information would have been nice, or at the least a message added to this thread.

Ideally, I would like them to be professional, take responsibility and notify their user base when there is a problem, and when there is additional information available to pass it along to the affected users directly.  That's what professional companies do. Surely they have better channels of communication to Fujitsu that one would expect their user base to have.  

The link you referred to was posted yesterday: http://scansnapcommunity.com/features/14447-urgent-notice-for-mac-users-serious-issues-affecting-pdf-creation-and-editing-on-macos-sierra-may-cause-permanent-data-loss/

The links they sent out in the email and the links from the OP both point to Fujitsu.com pages: 

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/topics/topics20160914.html

And the link they provided and said "any updates and fixes on this issue" wasn't updated with the new additional information.

The post from the SnapScan Community page does contain additional information.  But Evernote didn't pass it along.  It was posted on a different site than what they linked to in the original post.  Again, I didn't buy the printer from Fujitsu.  I bought it from Evernote.  I've never been on the SnapScan Community page and I see no reason why I should have to go there when it is an Evernote product.

Evernote is a company and can choose how they treat their customers.  But really, what would it cost them to update people directly?  Five minutes of someone's time.  Instead, they just pointed to a general support page and said good luck with that.  Or that's the impression I and other posters on here have from them.  

It's one thing to raise prices.  It's another to tell people they can lose data and then appear to pass the buck to someone else.  Data integrity is obviously paramount when it comes to trust in a cloud based company.  If anything remotely threatens that trust, even if it's "not their fault," they should take ownership of it and champion a solution for their users.

If you're satisfied with that response, that's fine.  That's your prerogative.  I'm not.  And, other people on here aren't either.  That's our prerogative as well.  

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, DHUser said:

If you're satisfied with that response, that's fine.  That's your prerogative.  I'm not.  And, other people on here aren't either.  That's our prerogative as well. 

That is true. It is absolutely your prerogative to not be satisfied.

I prefer to just use the info they gave and watch the Fujitsu site for the updates as that is how the process will work. Have a nice day.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, sayersnet said:

This is becoming paralyzing.  

Why? Was El Capitan and your ScanSnap working for you last week? Is that not working now this week?

I didn't upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan for 2-3 months due to a software issue I was waiting on resolution for. I wasn't paralyzed at all.

14 hours ago, EdH said:

Why? Was El Capitan and your ScanSnap working for you last week? Is that not working now this week?

Because over the years we've scanned documents with this equipment and software, and we've sent these PDFs to (literally) tens of thousands of friends and family, clients, business colleagues, prospective customers, and more. We're now living in the very real fear that if any of those recipients open these PDFs after upgrading their system to macOS Sierra, that the documents they received from us, will be corrupt and with missing pages of data.

Again, I don't think you're understanding the gravity of this situation.  It's pretty much a "worst case scenario."

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Fofer said:

Because over the years we've scanned documents with this equipment and software, and we've sent these PDFs to (literally) tens of thousands of friends and family, clients, business colleagues, prospective customers, and more. We're now living in the very real fear that if any of those recipients open these PDFs after upgrading their system to macOS Sierra, that the documents they received from us, will be corrupt and with missing pages of data.

Again, I don't think you're understanding the gravity of this situation.  It's pretty much a "worst case scenario."

Yes, this is a serious situation.

Best case scenario is that Apple patches the problem via the OS and it goes away.

My current process is
- make sure I have a protected copy of the pdf saved
- stop creating pdfs using Scansnap
- Personally, I have upgraded to Sierra and not yet encountered a PDF problem yet
  The company has not rolled out the upgrade - no plans until next month

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Fofer said:

It is only destructive if they SAVE a PDF. So first of all, there is no indication that opening it up on a non-Mac OS Sierra platform has an issue. So Windows, iOS, Android, Linux, and Mac OS through El Capitan are ok. 

Second, it only appears to happen for scans made in B&W format, and according to this page, it converts the page to color but doesn't lose data, so the file is increased in size.

Third, if you did a B&W scan to A3 paper using 1200 dip resolution, that can lose data.

There are some other issues, but they appear to be with the ScanSnap software itself in merging pages or using the CardMinder feature.

So I do understand the gravity of the sitution, but I also believe I understand the facts of the issue per the Fijitsu site. If you are in the US, there isn't, as far as I can see, a massive risk to data loss because we don't use A3 paper here, and I am not sure how many people use 1200dpi B&W mode scanning. I can see engineering firms or architects possibly affected by this. I am not even sure if the ScanSnap Evernote Edittion can scan A3 paper. My S1300 cannot.

I am still not upgrading to Sierra out of caution until there is more of a resolution, but I am not paralyzed.

If I have any of the facts wrong, someone please correct me because I don't want to minimize the situation, but don't want it blown out of proportion where some think upgrading to Sierra or having a PDF on Sierra will cause every PDF on that machine anywhere to self-corrupt.

• Level 5*

So, Fujitsu just posted a big Q&A and it seems to be as I indicated. Your only real risk of data loss is if you scan in B&W mode on A3/Tabloid paper at the Excellent/1200dpi setting.

Otherwise, the only thing that seems to happen is if you otherwise scan in B&W, if you save changes your file will be converted to color mode and grow in size.

Given this info, I think I am going to upgrade to Sierra this weekend as I only scan in letter and legal paper, and almost always in color mode anyway.

NOTE: For those that prefer/expect/demand to hear this directly from Evernote, please ignore this post and the Fujitsu status update. Insert rants below. Thank you. That is all.

On 9/21/2016 at 5:44 PM, EdH said:

Right. Because Evernote IS. NOT. WORKING. ON. IT. They didn't develop the scanner. They didn't develop the driver. They didn't develop the software. Therefore, they will not fix the scanner. They will not fix the driver. They will not fix the software.

This is a Fujitsu issue, straight up. It affects all PDF files that the ScanSnap series of scanners, which is dozens over the years, including a few that are branded/marketed "Evernote Edition" no matter what you are doing with the PDFs. If they are going into Evernote, OneNote, Dropbox, OneDrive, Tresorit, Box, email, gmail, Google Drive, your Mac's hard drive, a USB key, etc, they are all potentially affected.

I must say that I am glad that I didn't spend the extra 20% more for the Evernote Scansnap edition with this lack of support from Evernote.  I remember when the Evernote market place was in existence and didn't take you to a link on amazon they bragged about the deep integration with Scansnap and how the software engineers from both companies worked very closely.  Hmm, I guess that was just marketing BS and now the true story comes out.  Hey we put our name on this to get money but we don't service it at all go to the people who made it and designed the hardware.  Just my opinion.  Glad the situation doesn't seem to be as bad as initially thought.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, Maddock said:

I must say that I am glad that I didn't spend the extra 20% more for the Evernote Scansnap edition with this lack of support from Evernote.  I remember when the Evernote market place was in existence and didn't take you to a link on amazon they bragged about the deep integration with Scansnap and how the software engineers from both companies worked very closely. 

I didn't buy it either; we just have generic Scansnap equipment.

I was aware of the integration, but my understanding is that Evernote takes care of the filing part and Fujitsu looks after the scanning part. I wouldn't expect overlap in support, but I appreciate Evernote warning me of the scanning issue.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Maddock said:

I must say that I am glad that I didn't spend the extra 20% more for the Evernote Scansnap edition with this lack of support from Evernote.  I remember when the Evernote market place was in existence and didn't take you to a link on amazon they bragged about the deep integration with Scansnap and how the software engineers from both companies worked very closely.  Hmm, I guess that was just marketing BS and now the true story comes out.  Hey we put our name on this to get money but we don't service it at all go to the people who made it and designed the hardware.  Just my opinion.  Glad the situation doesn't seem to be as bad as initially thought.

This was a co-branding exercise. You think Nike is going to service a Nike Edition Apple Watch? Think you can take a Harley Davidson edition Ford F150 to a Harley Davidson dealership for warranty work, or even an oil change?

On 9/23/2016 at 9:22 AM, EdH said:

So I do understand the gravity of the sitution, but I also believe I understand the facts of the issue per the Fijitsu site.

Fair enough, and I appreciate the sharing of new information, as Fujitsu aims to resolve this issue.  This new, more specific information is encouraging.  I'm confident a fix will eventually come out.  It's incredibly disappointing that such information is just coming out now, the week Sierra was released, after three months of public beta, but whatever.

Previously your posts seemed to downplay this problem, suggesting that it's not that paralyzing, that all we'd have to do is hold off on upgrading from El Capitan.

On 9/22/2016 at 5:12 PM, EdH said:

I didn't upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan for 2-3 months due to a software issue I was waiting on resolution for. I wasn't paralyzed at all.

But the problem (in whatever form it takes) doesn't just affect us, those who scanned the original document.  It affects anyone who received those same files from us.  

And that's the point I'm trying to make here.  It's easy for me to hold off on the upgrade if I'm concerned.  It's not so easy for me to contact everyone I've ever shared ScanSnap PDF's with, to issue the same warning.

2 hours ago, Maddock said:

It's more than just branding though.  There is some Evernote-specific functionality baked into the Evernote ScanSnap Edition that I've come to appreciate that the iX500 doesn't have.  I didn't pay the extra 20% thinking Evernote would be the one offering such support; I paid the extra 20% for the extra functionality I got when using it with Evernote.

And while I'm disappointed Evernote has their hands tied on this support issue, I understand there's really not much they CAN do about it.   At the end of the day, we're all now waiting for Fujitsu to work with Apple to fix it.   I'm staying optimistic that this fix will arrive, in one way or another, sometime soon.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Fofer said:

It's incredibly disappointing that such information is just coming out now, the week Sierra was released, after three months of public beta, but whatever.

For sure, it's upsetting both in the timing, and that the pdf format could have a problem.  
I had believed the format was ubiquous ; the go-to format.

fwiw   I was in the public beta program, and have not yet encountered this PDF problem.  
        You need a perfect storm of settings for it to trigger

I have a lot of pdf files taken with ScanSnap ix500 and ScanSnap app on ios device. I can't annotate this files, but I can annotate pdf from other sources. I've asked en support yesterday and I'm waiting the answer (i'm sure it will be delete and reinstall en). This morning I saw this thread and I understand that is nothing to do. I paid more this year for EN Premium for have less. 

I've believed till today that a pdf file is a pdf file and all pdfs are equals. Wrong!

1 hour ago, enki said:

I have a lot of pdf files taken with ScanSnap ix500 and ScanSnap app on ios device. I can't annotate this files, but I can annotate pdf from other sources. I've asked en support yesterday and I'm waiting the answer (i'm sure it will be delete and reinstall en). This morning I saw this thread and I understand that is nothing to do. I paid more this year for EN Premium for have less. 

I've believed till today that a pdf file is a pdf file and all pdfs are equals. Wrong!

Your concern is understandable, but again, Evernote has nothing to do with the issue with the scanners. It is an issue on Fujitsu's side. It is also only causing issues with certain types of pdf scans. I'm not sure if there is an issue with annotation that is caused by the scanners but there might be. I personally have no issues and went back and looked and have not lost any documents due to the issue. When I scan I scan with an auto detect document setting and in color. 

I tested scanning this afternoon by scanning right into Evernote and everything was fine. My files scanned to a folder and then imported were also fine. Please take a look at @EdH post below. He does a great job of explaining where the problem might be.

On 9/23/2016 at 9:22 AM, EdH said:

It is only destructive if they SAVE a PDF. So first of all, there is no indication that opening it up on a non-Mac OS Sierra platform has an issue. So Windows, iOS, Android, Linux, and Mac OS through El Capitan are ok. 

Second, it only appears to happen for scans made in B&W format, and according to this page, it converts the page to color but doesn't lose data, so the file is increased in size.

Third, if you did a B&W scan to A3 paper using 1200 dip resolution, that can lose data.

There are some other issues, but they appear to be with the ScanSnap software itself in merging pages or using the CardMinder feature.

So I do understand the gravity of the sitution, but I also believe I understand the facts of the issue per the Fijitsu site. If you are in the US, there isn't, as far as I can see, a massive risk to data loss because we don't use A3 paper here, and I am not sure how many people use 1200dpi B&W mode scanning. I can see engineering firms or architects possibly affected by this. I am not even sure if the ScanSnap Evernote Edittion can scan A3 paper. My S1300 cannot.

I am still not upgrading to Sierra out of caution until there is more of a resolution, but I am not paralyzed.

If I have any of the facts wrong, someone please correct me because I don't want to minimize the situation, but don't want it blown out of proportion where some think upgrading to Sierra or having a PDF on Sierra will cause every PDF on that machine anywhere to self-corrupt.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, enki said:

II can't annotate this files, but I can annotate pdf from other sources. I've asked en support yesterday and I'm waiting the answer (i'm sure it will be delete and reinstall en). This morning I saw this thread and I understand that is nothing to do.

That sounds like a different problem, 
You should open a new discussion if you want assistance from the user group, but I'd follow through with the EN support first

Along with these know scansnsp issues, Is anyone else having an issue with evernote for Mac and ScanSnap after installing Sierra where the PDF does not show up in the EN screen "all files" but stays at the "Dock" (and will not "quit"...have to force quit) ? It shows as "scan to evernote" document in and will eventually request attention and indicate "failed to startup evernote for Mac"

The actual PDF is at the correct location on the Mac and can be dragged to an evernote open screen. 

Apparently they have "refined" the scope of the problem and it may be possible to use the scanners with Sierra without problems if you avoid certain workflows.

Of course my most frequently used one is scanning to Evernote from the ScanSnap App and this can cause a problem. Seems you can just save the document on the Mac and then drag into Evernote. 

_________

Note for using ScanSnap or ScanSnap Applications on macOS Sierra 
In order to avoid the ScanSnap compatibility problems, please do not use ScanSnap or ScanSnap applications on macOS Sierra in the following manner as doing so may cause some pages to be deleted or to become blank.

1. Do not use [ScanSnap Organizer], [ScanSnap Merge Pages], or [CardMinder]
  2. Do not use Excellent mode when scanning A3 (11.7 in. x 16.5 in.) documents* 
    *No image data will be lost nor any blank pages produced when content that has been scanned in the A4 (8.3 in. x 11.7 in.), Letter (8.5 in. x 11 in.), Legal (8.5 in. x 14 in.), or smaller sizes is saved. 

3. Do not select the following functions in either Quick Menu or Application 
    • [Scan to Print]
    • [Scan to Evernote (Document)]
    • [Scan to Evernote (Note)]
    • [Scan to Google Drive]
    • [Photographs]

• Level 5*

Thanks @ronfel My problem is I use the Scan to Evernote function, but I use letter or legal almost exclusively when scanning. Occasionally I scan in insurance docs which are often weird 8.5"x8.5" so I don't know what that is called, but it is also always in color, and I never use the 1200dpi B&W setting.

They have said the fix is done and will be delivered in mid-October, so I am assuming it comes from Apple and will be the .1 update to Sierra. I'm just keeping an eye on my scans.

Today, I scanned a bunch of stuff and it only got the first page every time. Restarting the scansnap software fixed it, but I am wondering if that is an issue with SS silently crashing in the OCR phase and not telling you or if this is just the first time it has happened and just a random occurrence.

I had already upgraded to Sierra.  Almost exclusively I use the Scan to Evernote function.  I do not use B/W or A3.  Recently - I can scan but then receive this error.  After okaying it I receive a second notice indicated the image was left in my Photos/Evernote folder (and I confirmed that it is) and asks if I would like to delete the items in that folder.  I 'no' that.  Implication is that it will delete everything in that folder. 

The scanned item does not show up in Evernote. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 12.39.01 PM.png

Randomizer...see post right above yours (Ronfel) with latest ScanSnap update...I was having same issue. I upgraded a few days after the first set of issues were Identified knowing they did not impact me....however this one is huge as I scan everything into EN. This just tells me the Scansnap development team did "zero" testing as this function fault can't be missed. 

My work around is to scan to "Dropbox", move the scan file via finder to my EN database location and then drag PDF to EN on an "new" page for that Folder. Ugly....but works for me. 

I have left a 1 star rating on Amazon where I bought the scanner titled "Love the hardware, hate the software".  

PS. I do feel better that this issue is recognized as part of the "code break" as I thought I may have changed a wrong setting in the Scansnap app.....

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, lylegray said:

I have left a 1 star rating on Amazon where I bought the scanner titled "Love the hardware, hate the software".  

You've said that twice, but I am not sure this is Fujitsu's fault. I am not sure it isn't, but Apple broke a lot of things with iOS 10 that relate to bluetooth and other features, which is why 10.0.2 came out so fast. I'm not sure Apple didn't also break this. Given the expected fix is mid-October, that corresponds to the andicipated 10.12.1 update to macOS Sierra, so it appears Apple is fixing this, not Fujitsu, which implies Apple broke this, not Fujitsu.

To EdH: not sure how to reply on this forum so this will suffice.

App developers had access to all beta versions of Apple's code. Therefore one would "assume" they tested their code with all releases of new versions of said Sierra code. The "new" issues that Fujitsu has uncovered yesterday? (see ronfel) are basic "blocking and tackling: functions...seriously...."scan to evernote document/note...doesn't now work?" 

Even "if" Apple Sierra code broke Scansnaps code, the fact that users here pointed out the "scan to document" issue first tells me Fujitsu dropped the ball big time.

if I find out different I'll revise my Amazon review...which,  as a reminder is "Love the hardware hate the software'...I see a few others have done so as well.... 

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, lylegray said:

Even "if" Apple Sierra code broke Scansnaps code, the fact that users here pointed out the "scan to document" issue first tells me Fujitsu dropped the ball big time.

You cannot assume that. For example, i know for a fact Kwikset reported iOS 10 BT issues back in July and Apple steamrolled ahead with the release anyway and broke Kwikset Kevo locks, than did an emergency patch a week later. To make matters worse, Kwikset said the issue would get resolved in later beta builds, then broken again in even later builds. So it was a random roll of the dice as to whether each new build would be ok or not, and ultimately the final build, 10.0.1, turned out not to be ok.

Again, I am NOT saying Fujitsu has no fault here. They could be 100% at fault, 0%, or somewhere in between. Unlike the Kwikset issue, I don't know what correspondence Fujitsu had with Apple during the Sierra developer builds.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

1 hour ago, EdH said:

Again, I am NOT saying Fujitsu has no fault here. They could be 100% at fault, 0%, or somewhere in between. Unlike the Kwikset issue, I don't know what correspondence Fujitsu had with Apple during the Sierra developer builds.

actually you may be right, Fujitsu may not be at fault...EN's latest version that was released Sept 19th ish? via Apple App store may be the issue....it appears to be a newer release than the latest Mac download from EN. Fujitsu has advised using the "EN version" as a fix to "scan to document" ....

Just now, EdH said:

Thanks. Did you have to do anything for that to pop up or did it just happen? I did some scans this morning and nothing showed up.

It just popped up. I have my scan manager set to start on login and it popped up out of the blue right before I shared that. Installing now, so we'll see how it works or doesn't work ;)

• Level 5*

Well, that is odd. I tried on my Macbook and it says I have the latest - same version I got around April or so of this year when I moved the scanner from a Windows PC to my Macbook. This is what I have.

Ahhh.... I see now. If you go to the ScanSnap page, they have ony updated the i series scanners. The older  S1500, S1500M, S1300, S1100  models will get their update on the 17th of October, and mine is the S1300. So, another week or so.

OK, I generally don't peruse the user forums for a product until something breaks. I upgraded to Sierra last week, then just upgraded Evernote to 6.9.2, and then noticed that my ScanSnap S1500M wasn't sending multipage PDFs into Evernote correctly (deleting 11 of 12 pages, for example). So I came to the Evernote Support Site thinking it was a 6.9.2 issue.

Does anybody have any suggestions for those of us who have already upgraded to Sierra? Fujitsu's site says they will have a patch on 10/17 for my scanner. Should I simply stop scanning (and opening PDFs it created) until then? I shudder to think about trying to roll back my OS... Thanks for any advice you all might offer.

Jack

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Eidosthropos said:

OK, I generally don't peruse the user forums for a product until something breaks. I upgraded to Sierra last week, then just upgraded Evernote to 6.9.2, and then noticed that my ScanSnap S1500M wasn't sending multipage PDFs into Evernote correctly (deleting 11 of 12 pages, for example). So I came to the Evernote Support Site thinking it was a 6.9.2 issue.

Does anybody have any suggestions for those of us who have already upgraded to Sierra? Fujitsu's site says they will have a patch on 10/17 for my scanner. Should I simply stop scanning (and opening PDFs it created) until then? I shudder to think about trying to roll back my OS... Thanks for any advice you all might offer.

Jack

Same thing happened to me. Closing the ScanSnap app and reopening it fixed it for me. The issue has nothing to do with EN. If your situation was like mine, you could see it "fail" when ti started to OCR page 2. Instead of a solid progress bar from pages 2-n, it just stopped and spit out a one page PDF. All of that is before Evernote gets it.

Can someone please tell me if in my situation, I can upgrade to Sierra?  

I have a macbook pro, but all documents I need to have access to are uploaded to evernote on a Windows computer. I will need to have access to those documents on Evernote to edit and view. Can I upgrade, or do I need to wait?  

Thank you.  

• Level 5*

So this update isn't as smooth as I would like. There are multiple phases per this document:

• October 6 - Drivers for i series scansnaps fixed prospectively.
  • October 17 - Drivers for non-i series scansnaps fixed prespectively.
  • Late October - Drivers for Evernote Edition scansnaps fixed prospectively.
  • TBD - They will then work on a fix to ensure all older PDFs created with the non-fixed drivers (read: the beginning of time until the dates above) are editable without being trashed.

Fujitsu is committed to providing our customers a great experience with their ScanSnap investment and we will continue to work diligently to provide a fix for older PDF content created by ScanSnap capable to be modified on macOS Sierra. Though the conditions whereby PDF content could be damaged is limited and specific, please continue to exercise best practices in digital retention for any reason by keeping a secure back-up of your important PDF files so that you may continue to transact with your data with the safety of having a copy.

What a mess.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Pastor Matus said:

Can someone please tell me if in my situation, I can upgrade to Sierra?  

I have a macbook pro, but all documents I need to have access to are uploaded to evernote on a Windows computer. I will need to have access to those documents on Evernote to edit and view. Can I upgrade, or do I need to wait?  

Thank you.  

The issue is only with scans done on a Mac. You can view/edit scans from Windows on a mac with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been waiting till Oct. 20th when ScanSnap said there would be a new version. Looks like they are going to push the version out to Evernote Edition owners, instead of a download. I get Version 1.0.40 (1002) on my ScanSnap information page. I am still on El Capitan. Do I need to upgrade to Sierra before I get the updated version pushed to my ScanSnap automatic updater?

Not sure if I should upgrade to Sierra, and then check, to get updated version promised on 10/20.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, ScottInRiverFalls said:

Ok - Fujitsu said on their notice that an update will be available October 20. It is now the 21st with no update. Can anyone tell me the status of this update? 

Try the manual downloads. I have an S1300 scanner and the product will not autoupdate, but there is an updated driver. Not sure why they aren't pushing it out automatically.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Chrisdatma said:

I have been waiting till Oct. 20th when ScanSnap said there would be a new version. Looks like they are going to push the version out to Evernote Edition owners, instead of a download. I get Version 1.0.40 (1002) on my ScanSnap information page. I am still on El Capitan. Do I need to upgrade to Sierra before I get the updated version pushed to my ScanSnap automatic updater?

Not sure if I should upgrade to Sierra, and then check, to get updated version promised on 10/20.

To be safe, I would upgrade to Sierra first. This is a Sierra specific fix so I am not sure they did much testing on earlier systems so it could introduce issues. After upgrading, reboot for good measure, then install the Fujitsu update.

I have the Evernote Edition ScanSnap.  Apparently the update to fix this issue (for new scans moving forward) was supposed to be out on 10/20.  It is now 10/22.  Was it released?  If so, what's the version number?  I am now at 1.0.40 (1022.)  Thanks!

Hello Evernote - Do you think maybe someone from your company could actually let us know that status of this issue. I am hesitant to install Sierra until I know the issue has been resolved. I realize that this issue is likely not in your control but at least you could keep us informed as to where it is at.

Please see my strong thoughts somewhere in this thread on the breach of faith Evernote created with the users and subscribers who entrust them with their most important information. No, the issue is not one of their making but I remain disappointed in Evernote's poor choice not to keep us updated with the latest information and directly support those of us with questions and concerns.  What a missed opportunity to demonstrate to core customers that they actually care about all aspects of how we manage our most essential and personal information.  A poor choice indeed: a breach of faith is not soon forgotten.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ScottInRiverFalls said:

Hello Evernote - Do you think maybe someone from your company could actually let us know that status of this issue. I am hesitant to install Sierra until I know the issue has been resolved. I realize that this issue is likely not in your control but at least you could keep us informed as to where it is at.

The official status of the Fijitsu ScanSnap drivers for all products is here as it relates to macOS Sierra, including links to the downloads for updated drivers.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, katzmark said:

No, the issue is not one of their making but I remain disappointed in Evernote's poor choice not to keep us updated with the latest information and directly support those of us with questions and concerns.

You are disregarding that Evernote set up these forums, and specifically this discussion for the scanner problem

56 minutes ago, EdH said:

The official status of the Fijitsu ScanSnap drivers for all products is here as it relates to macOS Sierra, including links to the downloads for updated drivers.

EdH - my question for you is that the downloadable update files are for the Fujitsu version of Snap Scan Manager with different version numbers than the Snap Scan Manager for Evernote. I am concerned about updating one version with patches from a different version. We used to call this version hell as there is no telling what might happen (at least in the Windows world). Did you have the Snap Scan Manger for Evernote and update with the patch for the Fujitsu version?

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, ScottInRiverFalls said:

EdH - my question for you is that the downloadable update files are for the Fujitsu version of Snap Scan Manager with different version numbers than the Snap Scan Manager for Evernote. I am concerned about updating one version with patches from a different version. We used to call this version hell as there is no telling what might happen (at least in the Windows world). Did you have the Snap Scan Manger for Evernote and update with the patch for the Fujitsu version?

Did you read the directions on that page?

Available: October 20, 2016

For ScanSnap Evernote Edition

Online Update will provide users an update notification for ScanSnap Manager for Evernote Edition that will resolve how PDF files are created, allowing them to be modified on macOS Sierra going forward without the reported problems. This first update will not resolve PDF files previously created, therefore, return to this page for latest news and schedule of availability.

Click here for the online update instructions of ScanSnap Manager

It doesn't say anything about loading the Fujitsu Scansnap regular drivers to the Evernote Edition Scanner, so no, you should not do that.

• Level 5*

No. I am closely monitoring the Fujitsu pages Evernote directed me to and will follow those instructions as they release updated information. I have the S1300 scanner so my steps will differ from yours. 

Ok - I did go ahead and install Sierra and once I did that with a cold reboot to top it off, the update through Snap Scan Manager did in fact have the update available and I did install it. I did see your earlier post about it being a Sierra update only but I really didn't want to update until I knew for sure it was available. However I made a leap of faith and it worked. Thanks for your posts.

• Level 5*

So just to let everyone know, all fixes are now out.

If on El Capitan or earlier, no issues.

If you have upgraded to Sierra or are planning to, go ahead. But make sure you go all the way to 10.12.1. The .1 was released Monday I think.

Then go to the Fujitsu page and download the right driver for your device in the first category, and then update the Scansnap organizer in the second category. For good measure, I'll be rebooting between each step, whether the software tells me to or not.

EdH, thanks!

One question though. There are fixes for the ScanSnap Manager and ScanSnap Organizer. What about files already in Evernote? I don't use the ScanSnap Organizer so how will they be repaired or handled? How does the organizer integrate with Evernote?

Looking at the Fujitsu page on the ScanSnap Organizer, the Evernote version does not seem to be on the list.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, LokiTM said:

There are fixes for the ScanSnap Manager and ScanSnap Organizer. What about files already in Evernote? I don't use the ScanSnap Organizer so how will they be repaired or handled? How does the organizer integrate with Evernote?

I was also searching for a fix for existing pdfs.  
Regardless of where they're stored, Evernote or elsewhere.
Its a Fijitsu issue, but they seem to be ignoring it.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I was also searching for a fix for existing pdfs.  
Regardless of where they're stored, Evernote or elsewhere.
Its a Fijitsu issue, but they seem to be ignoring it.

Except for the part there they didn't ignore it on that page. You have to read the whole page. 

I'll ask again: If my version says 1.0.50 am I good to go?

And I also am wondering about the "Second Category". I do not have ScanSnap Organizer installed on my machine. So this Second Category fix seems to not apply to Evernote Edition. Does this mean Evernote Edition users are still susceptible to data loss or does the data loss apply to other models of ScanSnap and therefore we are safe (because Evernote Edition is not mentioned)?

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, AnalogSandwich said:

I'll ask again: If my version says 1.0.50 am I good to go?

And I also am wondering about the "Second Category". I do not have ScanSnap Organizer installed on my machine. So this Second Category fix seems to not apply to Evernote Edition. Does this mean Evernote Edition users are still susceptible to data loss or does the data loss apply to other models of ScanSnap and therefore we are safe (because Evernote Edition is not mentioned)?

Why don't  you ask Fujitsu on their support site? We are nothing but users like you. And I don't know what page you are going to but they specifically mention the Evernote edition on the many many links we've provided in this forum. 

Thanks for this thread. 

Granted that the fix issue is a Fujitsu one, I a curious whether other Mac Evernote Scanner users have the "organizer" installed. I never heard of an Organizer until the Sierra issue arose, and although I can find updates on the web for it, I cannot actually find the option to install it. I have the same question as analog sandwich:

Do I need to have the organizer installed in order to solve the "second problem" cited in relation to it?  If someone does know the answer to this question at this point, I'd be grateful. 

Amy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, DavisFields said:

Ok now it's November 18... anyone know where we are on this? I have held off upgrading to MacOS Sierra, and have not done anything outlined in the confusing messages from Fujitsu. Is there a safe path forward?

Yes. It is in the confusing messages from Fijitsu. If you cannot follow those steps for some reason, post back exactly why it isn't working, and exactly what model scanner you have.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, DavisFields said:

Ok now it's November 18... anyone know where we are on this? I have held off upgrading to MacOS Sierra, and have not done anything outlined in the confusing messages from Fujitsu. Is there a safe path forward?

I think thats a question you should be posting to Fujitsu
My take is that they are restricting the solution to the Scansnap products and ignoring pdfs filed outside of the Scansnap environment

Do you see yourself impacted by the special set of circumstances that trigger this error?
Personally, I've upgraded my software, and I have backups to recover if I encounter this rare error.

Archived