Feature idea - set notebooksas "exclude from normal search"

mfk

Idea

I like to keep lots of life's things in Evernote that used to be in a big filing cabinet.  I love the search feature but I'd like a way to have some things excluded from everyday search.  It would be nice to have an "exclude from normal search" setting for notebooks, and a "search everything" toggle in the search details that would re-enable searching excluded notebooks in context of a particular search.  Filtering a search to a given notebook that was marked as excluded would also ensure it was included in the search results.

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, mfk said:

I like to keep lots of life's things in Evernote that used to be in a big filing cabinet.  I love the search feature but I'd like a way to have some things excluded from everyday search.  It would be nice to have an "exclude from normal search" setting for notebooks, and a "search everything" toggle in the search details that would re-enable searching excluded notebooks in context of a particular search.  Filtering a search to a given notebook that was marked as excluded would also ensure it was included in the search results.

You can look at the Evernote search grammar here, but you'll find that Notebooks can not be excluded     Evernote Search Grammar

This hasn't impacted me because I use very few notebooks.
I use tags for organization.  Benefits are, they can be nested in a hierarchy, and they can be excluded using the -tag: option

Archived