Delete notebooks from previous year's class

bj nick

I am a schoolteacher and I used Evernote last year in the following way: I have 30 kids, all of whom established basic accounts w/5 notebooks each, one for each subject area. I have a premium account, they all linked to me, etc. Generally worked great. 

Now, I need to delete all the previous notebooks from last year and have my new students create new ones, and make sure they are synced to me. I'm sure it's simple, but I don't have time to sit here and try to figure it all out. We already have 5 other online programs/activities going on; I need to get some questions answered. 

I also need to change my email account, but I have tried repeatedly and I'm stymied. I've asked for help with this and the basic set up issues, but the tech "support" says she deals only with business clients and won't help me; says "read the guide." I offered to pay if necessary....is it not ever possible to get a live human to help??? Chat or phone??? It appears to be absolutely impossible to get anyone on the phone, whether online, corporate offices, anywhere. The frustration level is so high right now I'm just thinking of ditching EN completely. It's not worth it. 

Can anyone help? With any of these issues? Sorry for the drama; but believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING. 

• Level 5

Regarding deleting notebooks, I believe that when you delete one (which I think can be done using any version of Evernote, including the Web one), what actually moves to the Trash is all the notes themselves, no longer linked to any notebook. In your situation (and assuming the idea is to permanently obliterate the previous year's students' notebooks and their information), I would

1. Do a sync (unless using the online Web version of Evernote).
  2. Make absolutely sure there's nothing in the Trash that I will ever want again.
  3. Empty Trash and sync again.
  4. Delete the notebooks in question.
  5. Sample the notes newly moved to Trash to be sure that what's trashed is what should be trashed.
  6. Empty Trash again, and sync again.

That final sync should permanently remove everything that was trashed from Evernote's servers, and it will truly be gone.

I hope I've understood your situation correctly, and that this is helpful. Most of my teaching was done in lower-tech eras, and I discovered EN after I retired from the classroom. I can see how helpful it would be, but also how necessary it is to do careful maintenance from year to year.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, bj nick said:

Now, I need to delete all the previous notebooks from last year and have my new students create new ones, and make sure they are synced to me. I'm sure it's simple, but I don't have time to sit here and try to figure it all out.

On my Mac, I can work on the notebook page, selecting multiple notebooks and delete them with one click.  There may me less drastic options, as in "Leave"

>>I also need to change my email account, but I have tried repeatedly and I'm stymied. 

What have you tried?  My impression is that you just go into your account settings

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, bj nick said:

I am a schoolteacher and I used Evernote last year in the following way: I have 30 kids, all of whom established basic accounts w/5 notebooks each, one for each subject area. I have a premium account, they all linked to me, etc. Generally worked great. 

Let me get this straight: each kid had their own account, and each shared 5 notebooks to you?

9 hours ago, bj nick said:

Now, I need to delete all the previous notebooks from last year and have my new students create new ones, and make sure they are synced to me. I'm sure it's simple, but I don't have time to sit here and try to figure it all out. We already have 5 other online programs/activities going on; I need to get some questions answered. 

If the above is correct, you don't *need* to delete the notebooks at all -- those notebooks belong to the students, not you. Ideally, you should have told them to stop sharing with you, and that would have done it. But if someone doesn't stop sharing their notebooks, then you can go ahead and delete them yourself. See e.g.

To the best of my knowledge, deleting a notebook that's shared to you just stops the sharing and removes the notebook and notes from your Evernote client.

One thing that might cut down the churn is to move all of the old notebooks into a single stack, where they can be isolated while you set up your new students. You can deal with the old notebooks as you have time. Or just delete them all.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bj nick said:

we'll use Google Classroom instead.

That sounds like a good move for yourself and your students - using a process specifically tailored to the classroom.

Archived