[Feature Released in Version 10.8] disable global keyboard shortcuts

hij

Idea

Currently, I see no way to disable a global shortcut key. To see the current shortcut key mappings, one navigates to Tools -> Options -> Shortcut Keys. There, next to each item, is an "x", which I would expect to clear out the shortcut key. However, if you clear the value, click OK, and then open Tools -> Options -> Shortcut Keys again, the old shortcut key is back. To me, this seems like a bug.

In addition to wanting that feature to work, it would be nice if there were a global option to disable all shortcut keys. When checking this, the application would remember the existing key mappings, but would no longer honor them. This way, when I'm using a different application which has mapping conflicts, I can temporarily disable global shortcut keys for Evernote, and use the mappings in my other application without conflict.

68 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

In v 10.8.4 you can disable individual global shortcuts - they have to be done individually rather than turn all off. Open the Keyboard Shortcuts menu (Ctrl+/ or Help | Keyboard shortcuts), hover over the global options one by one, select the ... menu and choose disable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there a way to disable alt+s hotkey in new Evernote? This overwrites my system keyboard and I can't use one of the letters in my native language with Evernote running. Which means I'll have to stop using the app if there's no fix :(

• Like 1

I have the same issue as Chris11 - using the Polish (Programmer) keyboard and alt+s takes the screenshot. How can I disable that?

Issue is in new version 

v 10.3.7 build 2018 public
Editor: v111.0.14414
Service: v1.22.6

As of 6.25.1.9091 (309091 CE Build ce-62.6.10954) I'm able to go to Tools > Options > Shortcut keys (as described by hhj) and it's remembering the cleared out (clicking X) setting.  At least for me it lets me use ń now :)

Sounds like maybe a hot-fix was applied without a incr ver.

The ALT + S is causing problems in many applications. Because this cannot be disabled, I am abandoning Evernote for Microsoft OneNote.  The keyboard shortcut simply interferes with too many applications.  If you decide to one day put an option that says "Disable Keyboard Shortcuts", maybe I would return to using the product at that time.  Until then, I am prevented from using Evernote on Windows.

It is the same story as it was with Opera browser when it ditched its own rendering engine and switched to Chromium: they created a new UI and discarded all the good features and over the next few years were re-implementing some of them.

It is probably the same story here with Evernote V10.x update: discard some features to re-implement them while also adding some annoying ones - like these idiotic global shortcuts! Evernote team live in their own bubble and fail to understand that their app is not the only app running on anyone's system. I basically cannot use shortcuts in my programming IDE now (Webstorm to access settings) - others cannot even type in their own language.

Wanna guess what's the best feature of Evernote at this point which they DID NOT FORGET to remove?

Screen_Capture_-_Dec_17__12_24_AM.thumb.png.e6209d8fc2c5123c93214ee89039c647.png

And yes! I took the screenshot with your damn stupid screenshot tool via the CTRL+ALT+S shortcut! And it didn't even work in the first few tries... go figure! Though love the big fat red arrow functionality.

• Like 1

This is unbelievable! Simplifying functionality is a good move. Removing the ability to edit global shortcuts is shocking - and honestly, it's only something that an immature engineering team would implement.

Developers and engineers hammered this point home repeatedly at the 3 SaaS companies I've worked for. Does anyone test these changes?

I'm using a free trial of my Evernote replacement and will make the switch if this doesn't get resolved before the other free trial runs out.

The latest version of Evernote has global keyboard shortcuts that conflict with other tools I use but there is currently no option to disable them. For example I use VSCode and I have the keybinding for "Save All" set to "ctrl+alt+s" but now this doesn't work and instead triggers the Evernote screenshot capture functionality. Since I don't use Evernote for capturing screenshots and I'd prefer not to change my VSCode keybindings I would like the ability to disable the screenshot capture shortcut and other global shortcuts.

• Like 7

Hi, I have a similar problem - I cannot use Polish symbols in notes or anywhere when Evernote is enabled because of the shortcuts, like alt + s, which I use a lot for ś. This is very annoying and if this won't be fixed, I'll resign from this app, which I've been using 8 years now...

• Like 3

Using Evernote atm is almost impossible with languages with diacritics. Instead of diacritics I keep on triggering global shortcuts.

The previous version of the desktop app had an option to manually change the global shortcuts. When can we expect this functionality to be implemented?

I was to get the premium version, but seeing that it takes ages to apply just one simple fix I am switching back to OneNote. It is impossible to use Evernote in polish environment since you simply cannot type properly - which is a bit frustrating when you use a NOTEbook application :) 

15 hours ago, riwcwt said:

same problem, I wish to had an option to manually change the global shortcuts.

There used to be such an option in the previous versions of Evernote. I have no idea why it got removed. 

20 hours ago, ferretnote said:

Sounds like maybe a hot-fix was applied without a incr ver.

No, it's people commenting about the v10 version. (If a version was released without a version increment, you'd know it because the installer would have a fit because of how MSI works.)

Hi, I have the same problem. This is a bug in the product and it should be fixed asap as due to that I am resigning from using desktop app right now. It will be fine if I could change the shortcuts manually but there is no option for that. 

Thanks @KPRO that's really helpful.

On 12/3/2020 at 3:14 PM, KPRO said:

Same problem here. Had to remove Evernote 10 and install a legacy app version (6.25.2.9198). It can be downloaded here https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

On the other hand, I really miss the features, that the latest version of the app has. Can we please have an official statement from the Evernote team?

Yeah this one thing means I can't use evernote. 

I am unable to use my computer while evernote is running because I can't use any keyboard shortcuts for other programs.

Evernote hijacks the ctrl+alt+s key combination, and I can't find a way to modify or even disable the shortcuts. hell, I can't even find the options in this software...

• Like 1
On 12/5/2020 at 9:24 PM, michaelstickler said:

Yeah this one thing means I can't use evernote. 

I am unable to use my computer while evernote is running because I can't use any keyboard shortcuts for other programs.

Evernote hijacks the ctrl+alt+s key combination, and I can't find a way to modify or even disable the shortcuts. hell, I can't even find the options in this software...

So true, I have the same problem after fresh install of the newest version for Windows (v 10.4.4 build 2096), and Tools menu looks like this:

image.png.79d2c4937578323b431e76b9cc289543.png

What year is it? 2003? Are you serious guys? I'm gonna looks for alternative next year, since I've already paid for premium account this year. Already regret it.

• Like 1

I have been ignoring Evernote reminders about new version release. Finally decided to upgrade. And that was my biggest mistake. As Polish user, I type using characters from Polish alphabet (with diacritics). Typing Alt+s (in order to get Ś) triggers Screen capture. Remembering, that similar issue I had in the past, I started to search in Options/Preferences for disabling this feature...
Then I started to search internet for solution, and found hundreds of post with pissed off users. 

Well... and here I'm.  I just can believe, that  Evernote ignores this bug (I'm sure, that problem applies not only to Poles, but all other specific aplhabets).

I stopped using Evernote app, and switched to Web version, but this can not go on...

I recently even started to read reviews of OneNote (yeks!)

I have the same problem with shorcut ALT+S.

I've just installed new build; 10.5.6 build 2168 public - THE SAME PROBLEM no possibility to switch off the shortcuts 😠

No option in menu -> Screenshot when trying to type "alt+s" letter.

I throw out the new version and go back to the old one.

Came here to say the same thing - registering a global shortcut without the option to disable this is a crass violation of UI norms. I'm considering moving all my notes to another platform and cancelling my account

I couldn't agree more with everyone. I feel for those who are stuck with keyboard shortcuts  💻 which conflict with their language and basic operation of their computer. I came here simply out of an annoyance of expectation. I've had my screen capture keystroke set to CTRL + SHIFT + + for years. I've always clicked a note and hit the DELETE key. As a UI/UX designer, I spend my days making interfaces the easiest to use - removing the clutter and simplifying the simplest of tasks. What Evernote did with version 10 from a UX standpoint is akin to a doctor throwing out the Hippocratic Oath - I will protect them from harm. 👨‍⚕️

I just installed the new 10.5 today and at least I can once again add tags in the popup editor, but c'mon Evernote. The global shortcodes need to be editable. I can only hope that "on the roadmap" means we will see shortcode editing enabled in 10.6. As an over 10 year user of Evernote never have I been so frustrated. 😠

Sidenote: has anyone ever looked at the total max upload size of an attachment here in the community forums? Its 14.65MB Such an exact number 🤔

On 11/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, Haridas108 said:

I am Polish user and we have Ctrl+ALT+S shortcut as Ś letter in our language. New version of Evernote steals it and it cannot be turned off. I uninstalled Windows version and now use Web version, until it is solved. Unusable. 

Same here. I had the same problem every time I installed a new Evernote version, but at least I could disable this shortcut. It was very annoying, but I could survive. Now I cannot. I am giving up on Evernote.

Global shortcuts disrupt workflows with other software like Photoshop, other Adobe products, or 3Ds Max that has the same shortcut key.

The new Evernote surely looks great with only one downside - this one!!

Can you guys please make this simple tweak to make our lives easier, please?!

Thank you, Evernote Team.

• Like 3

It is frustrating as hell. You can use the webapp instead from browser. copy-paste is a bit slow, but at least no shortcuts.
(I mean c'mon I have waited 2 releases. no updates on this. Just give me access to the repo, and I will implement it myself)

Ugh. I have been a loyal EN user for years! I have SO MUCH content on it. But this RUINS my productivity in my design software which is my bread and butter. I cannot have this interference. Looking for tools to export all my notebooks out. 

WTF? Still no way to disable keyboard shortcuts that hijack and override existing global shortcuts? I have been suffering for months and have resorted to keeping Evernote closed at all times but I am ready to bail all together.

• Like 2

Can anyone from Evernote comment on this? Honestly, I ditched One Note for a paid subscription of Evernote, and this is the first time I am super frustrated with the app. Just like other users, now I have to keep it closed, and only open it when I need to access my notes. This is very ridiculous. 

I second what someone wrote - the UX manager who approved this change needs to take some time to reevaluate their choices. How can you hijack global shortcuts without giving the users the option to disable it?

Unbelievable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guys, is there a way to disable the Evernote keyboard shortcuts all together?
I am using Intellij for my programming and the number of keyboard shortcuts that interferes is huge.

So I see no alternative than to close Evernote. That's how annoying this is!
So *pretty please* fix this.

Using version 10.8.4 on Windows 10.
p.s. I have a paid subscription...

Today finnaly I found a way to disable global shortcut in Evernote

Goto Help -> Keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl + /)

In Global section, hover to the shortcut want to disable and click to three dots then Disable

I'm using Evernote 10.8.5

Screenshot 2021-03-01 113352.png

• Haha 1