Search for more than one tag with CTRL-Q

I would love the ability to be able to search / match more than one tag while using CTRL-Q functionality. 

I have tags that represent things like YEAR or MONTH as well as tags for PEOPLE or TOPICS along with lots of others. I am looking to be able to search for two tags that together filter my results greater than one tag alone. you can do multi tag searches for the "Search Notes" window but not from Ctrl-Q (as far as I know).

Example:

tag:Powershell tag:2016 would produce all my Powershell docs I created this year and it works flawlessly in the "Search Notes" section so I know it's possible. I am just trying to avoid have to type syntax like tag: in order to make complex searches. I could go on with more examples but I think it makes sense already.

I think that would be immensely useful if I could just type the name of two tags and evernote recognize that they are tags and return the results accordingly.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, mkanakos said:

tag:Powershell tag:2016 would produce all my Powershell docs I created this year and it works flawlessly in the "Search Notes" section so I know it's possible. I am just trying to avoid have to type syntax like tag: in order to make complex searches. I could go on with more examples but I think it makes sense already.

I think that would be immensely useful if I could just type the name of two tags and evernote recognize that they are tags and return the results accordingly.

The problem with what you suggested is that simple words in the search language mean to search note content, title, text recognition and tags. From the Everntoe Search Grammar (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php): " If no advanced search modifier is found in a search term, it will be matched against the note as a text content search. Words or quoted phrases must exactly match a word or phrase in the note contents, note title, tag name, or recognition index."

So Evernote will already search tag names if you use a simple text search. For example, if you just use the query "Powershell 2016", it will search not only note content and titles for those words, but also for tags with those names. But you may also get matches in note content or note titles as well.

With respect to Ctrl+Q search, you can type in any query you like, including multi-tag searches. What you can't do is type in a partial tag search and pick a match from the list without going to the normal search control with what you selected. But it does seem to put focus in that control, so you can keep typing to refine your search.

I suppose you could use a macro program like AutoHotKey and define a special keyboard shortcut that inserts "tag:" to make it easier to type in tag searches.

The SHIFT - ALT - T does exactly as I was looking for. I think I actually knew about that and forgot it. Thanks for the reminder!

I have some saved searches so I agree with you about their usefulness. However, I setup my tags to work as filters and / or couplers , so it is pretty easy to do multi tag searches and get my results dynamically rather than lots of saved searches but I do appreciate the point . 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Shift-Alt-T will let you select multiple tags.  Saved searches are a good option if it is a frequent query. 

Right -- and the nice thing about this is that it automatically filters the tag space down to ones that actually apply to what you've selected before.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, mkanakos said:

The SHIFT - ALT - T does exactly as I was looking for. I think I actually knew about that and forgot it. Thanks for the reminder!

I have some saved searches so I agree with you about their usefulness. However, I setup my tags to work as filters and / or couplers , so it is pretty easy to do multi tag searches and get my results dynamically rather than lots of saved searches but I do appreciate the point . 

You are welcome.  I work pretty much the same way with multi tag searches.  However, IMO saved searches are best for frequently used searches, for example when using reminders.  My prime view is side list with left panel closed so it is easy to get to those searches, click the magnifying glass and then click the search (preceded with ! to get them to top of list, image below).  That and the saving views capability in the upcoming release now in beta makes it very nice, for me anyway, to manage tasks.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png

Archived