TheBrain and EN

maxrigging

• Level 5*

Hi.  This seems like standard mind-mapping software.  I use a different app.  My MM of choice at the moment is FreePlane.  AFAIK any MM software can link to Evernote data using note links in the map nodes,  and most can export maps to JPG which allows you to attach the map to a note if you wish.  Some apps allow 'nesting' of maps,  so that a link in one can take you to another map,  and both can have direct links to Evernote notes.  It's even possible to attach the mindmap document file (.MMP or whatever) to a note and open and edit it from any device with the software installed.  Beware that if you have any,  'nested' maps really don't like this!

Not to forget MohioMaps which isn't mind-mapping,  but it is a more visual way to look at notes.

A couple of other apps - iMindmap has EN integration and works with 'to do' app Drop Task - which also has native EN integration.  Neither are exactly cheap,  but if you want the feature..

And previous discussions on this include:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25608-request-mind-mapping/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/53060-mind-map-software-any-that-integrate-save-to-that-you-know-of/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/75790-use-mind-map-to-link-to-notes/

It would be nice of Evernote had some more relevant options - a mindmap is a lot of connected data presented visually.  Evernote has the data collection and storage bit nailed down.  Now if only someone could work out how to display it with links between concepts...

This is a votable thread,  so if you'd like Mindmapping features,  please click the arrows on the top left of the page!  (And apologies if I hijacked the OP's intent - if you want something different,  please correct me! :))

Maxrigging,

In my opinion, The Brain is much, much more than mind mapping.  At first view, I can see where it would look like that.  However, spend more than a few minutes on it, watch some videos and you will really understand the depth of the software.  I use it in conjunction with Evernote, dropping note links in as appropriate.  The Brain forums have a lot of discussion threads on using Evernote and The Brain.  Check them out.

Here is a good place to start:

http://forums.thebrain.com/post/brain-and-evernote-im-in-trouble-6134484?highlight=evernote

The Brain is currently working on Version 9 Beta which promises even tighter integration with Evernote and other software.

I use both programs extensively and couldn't imagine ditching either one.  After a while, you'll get into a rhythm as to which one to use for a particular problem.

Give it some time - it really grows on you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 9:02 AM, tomcal said:

Maxrigging,

....The Brain is currently working on Version 9 Beta which promises even tighter integration with Evernote and other software.

I use both programs extensively and couldn't imagine ditching either one.  After a while, you'll get into a rhythm as to which one to use for a particular problem.

Give it some time - it really grows on you.

You appear to be advocating "the rhythm method"?  What, if anything, can they do together that they cannot do separately, individually?

I've tried the Brain many times over the years hoping that something had changed.  It seems to my unpracticed eye the same as always:  things flying around, ad infinitum.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for getting back to me.

This morning everything is working perfectly.  The links were not working since Friday morning but now all is well...perhaps a server problem?

I think TheBrain 9 is an intriguing application and it's integration with Evernote is critical if I am going to use it going forward.  Recent updates are a lot less buggy than earlier - have you any insight on when it will be released as a full version?

• Level 5*

There was a major internet exploit on Friday which may have messed with your connection.  No more information here I'm afraid about future releases,  apart from the fact that things do seem to be getting more stable and reliable.  :)

• 4 months later...

Just to add in that I have ponyed up to pay for a full licence with TheBrain.

I find that EN is best used as the Start and End Point.

Everything through the day goes into Evernote. Then every so often I take out useful information and add to TheBrain. 

I try and keep my brain up to date with links to anything I am working on in Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, or my own WebDAV server. 

Then once I hace a subject nailed/completed I then create a note in Evernote with a complete archive of everything for that project. Evernote has disorder and order. 

I also use DEVONThink Pro for building collections of data (academic papers).

So they are different tools; definitely complimentary to each other.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, frogdude said:

I also use DEVONThink Pro for building collections of data (academic papers).

My impression was that DevonThink and Evernote served the same purpose.  

I'm familiar with Evernote; can you identify the benefits DevonThink delivers for your collections?

>>Then every so often I take out useful information and add to TheBrain

Just wondering what kind of data you maintain in TheBrain.

I'm thinking I could mirror my tag organization; it would add dimension to my tags

When it comes to individual notes that I store in EN - do I also want them in TheBrain?  I already have dimension (tags) for notes

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2017 at 7:28 PM, DTLow said:

My impression was that DevonThink and Evernote served the same purpose.  

I'm familiar with Evernote; can you identify the benefits DevonThink delivers for your collections?

>>Then every so often I take out useful information and add to TheBrain

Just wondering what kind of data you maintain in TheBrain.

I'm thinking I could mirror my tag organization; it would add dimension to my tags

When it comes to individual notes that I store in EN - do I also want them in TheBrain?  I already have dimension (tags) for notes

DevonThink is better imho if your dive into a subject is more than a brief dip. If it’s casual interest I use Evernote as a repository. 

If I decide I am going to go into a subject and really nail it then I create a Devon Think Pro Database of papers, RSS feeds or any other media I might need. 

I am a Mac user so have found ZenGobis Curio brilliant for martialling and linking Evernote and DevonThink. 

When I close down a project I will archive as much as I can into Evernote and tag as “archive”.  

TheBrain is a place to think and connect together ideas, webpages, some content. 

Think in TheBrain,  build your evidence in Evernote .....

Archived