Using tags in Mac environment

I downloaded EN today (to both my iMac and my iPhone) and spent a chunk of the afternoon setting up the structure of my EN notebooks and tags following the TSW-GTD approach.  It quickly became apparent that what I was seeing on my screen did not align with what was shown on TSW.  So, I upgraded to EN Plus thinking that the basic version was simply missing some of the features.  No change, but I muddled on ...  Then I forwarded a few emails to my EN, got them in the appropriate notebook and tried to start applying tags to get my notes into my TSW structure.  Using an organized notebook and tag structure is not just a TSW approach - it's also one recommended by EN at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209006097:

Tips for better note organization
Create a logical notebook structure
Define a set of reusable tags

But I discovered that I can't simply drag notes onto the appropriate tags - in fact, I can't even see my reusable tag structure when I'm looking at my notes.  If I click on tags, I can see my reusable tag structure, but then I can't see my notes.  I know I can open a note (tediously, one at a time) and "click to add tags," but (again) I can't see my reusable tag structure.  I can't believe that it can be this difficult to follow EN's own advice to create a logical notebook structure & define a set of reusable tags.  I've spent hours this afternoon and evening on EN's various help & learning pages trying to figure out how to resolve this issue, but to no avail.  I make no claim to being a tech genius, but I can usually grasp new apps and programs quickly, without undue time referencing help, and quickly becoming productive.   But, this evening, I confess to feeling like a right idiot.  

I'd be very grateful for any guidance.  Thanks!

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Shattuck said:
But I discovered that I can't simply drag notes onto the appropriate tags - in fact, I can't even see my reusable tag structure when I'm looking at my notes. 

I see my tag structure in my sidebar (left side at the bottom)

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 2.48.23 AM.png

If you're not seeing Tags - check your sidebar options

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 2.51.55 AM.png

Thank you for your quick reply - very much appreciated!  I was sure that tags were checked in my sidebar options menu, but I took another look - and tags are checked.   Then I looked a little closer ...  and saw that the EN view sidebar options menu on my iMac (Late 2015 21.5") is a little different:  checking tags in not enough, it requires a second toggle (Show Tag List) to, well, show the tag list - please see below.  I'll send the after image in a moment - second attachment would exceed size limit.  So thank you so much for getting me to the right place!  Big relief - 10Q!!

2016-09-11  EN sidebar screenshot.png

Archived