Dropping Skitch SUX

What are you people thinking? Ok, I understand that looking after multiple apps can be an issue, but couldn't you simply do one final version of Skitch that is completely stand-alone, not in anyway connected with Evernote, and make it permanently available in final version form as a screenshotting app? I mean, it's a brilliant app. I have never used it in partnership with Evernote, I've always used it for quality screenshotting, for copying things I need into a variety of apps. I've found it especially useful for creating help sheets for people. How can you say that you care about your users when you make such monumentally uncaring decisions like this. This is almost enough to convince me to drop using Evernote altogether. Absolutely pathetic.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, DavidinPhuket said:

What are you people thinking? Ok, I understand that looking after multiple apps can be an issue, but couldn't you simply do one final version of Skitch that is completely stand-alone, not in anyway connected with Evernote, and make it permanently available in final version form as a screenshotting app? I mean, it's a brilliant app. I have never used it in partnership with Evernote, I've always used it for quality screenshotting, for copying things I need into a variety of apps. I've found it especially useful for creating help sheets for people. How can you say that you care about your users when you make such monumentally uncaring decisions like this. This is almost enough to convince me to drop using Evernote altogether. Absolutely pathetic.

I missed any new news on Skitch - has something happened?

11 minutes ago, DavidinPhuket said:

Where did you see they are shutting down Skitch?  I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. If you could point me to where you found that information that would be awesome.  I did a quick Google search and the only thing I'm finding is from 2015 when they stopped supporting it on Android and a few other platforms, but kept it on iOS and Mac.

Skitch has been permanently dropped. Some of it's internal features have been incorporated into Evernote, but the app itself is no more. I just had to find a download source elsewhere so that I could install on my newly rebuilt desktop. I'll be keeping this installer on file permanently I think. Such a horrible end for such a useful and brilliant app.

1 minute ago, DavidinPhuket said:

I'm assuming you're on a Windows machine. That's the only people it's going to affect In regards to using it on a desktop. You posted in the Mac forum which is a little confusing.  Skitch is still alive and well on the Mac platform. I just checked the app store and it's still there and my copy is working fine on my MacBook Pro.

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, DavidinPhuket said:

Skitch has been permanently dropped. Some of it's internal features have been incorporated into Evernote, but the app itself is no more. I just had to find a download source elsewhere so that I could install on my newly rebuilt desktop. I'll be keeping this installer on file permanently I think. Such a horrible end for such a useful and brilliant app.

Download is available from https://evernote.com/skitch/

This is for the Mac platform. There's also an IOS version.

You are right about Skitch being dropped for Windows/Android, but that news is almost a year old.

• Level 5*

...And for Windows users,  Skitch may no longer be available from Evernote,  but there are other sources out there.  A Google search for "skitch download windows app" (without the quotes) got me several pages of hits,  and I was able to download the same version I already have installed (2.3.2.176)

Keep the download somewhere safe for the next time you change computers...  ;)

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, DavidinPhuket said:

for Mac users only, all other OS versions have been dropped. I didn't realise I had posted on a Mac only thread, I thought this was a general thread.

I moved this discussion from the Mac forum to the Windows forum

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

And for Windows users,  Skitch may no longer be available from Evernote,  but there are other sources out there.  A Google search for "skitch download windows app" (without the quotes) got me several pages of hits,  and I was able to download the same version I already have installed (2.3.2.176)

Exactly, gaz. All things come to those who can be bothered to look them up on the web...

• 4 months later...

BRING BACK SKITCH!

It was the best! I hope a million people respond to say what a stupid decision that was....I love evernote, but the tool won't let you do arrows to point to things on your screenshot - plus it is too complicated. Skitch was SIMPLE and perfect!

PLEASE bring back Skitch...So sad...

shannon

• Level 5*

Hi.  Skitch was discontinued for Windows users over a year ago.  The app I installed well before then is still working for me,  so if you have the app there's no need to panic.  If you need it back,  third-party downloads were still available when I last looked a few months ago.  After such a long delay it seems highly doubtful Evernote will revisit the decision.

3 hours ago, jefito said:

Whatever Skitch was, it's been incorporated into the Windows Evernote client. Right-click on an image in your note, and select "Annotate". Looks a lot like Skitch to me...

True. This is also the most cited reasoning for the dropping of Skitch being not that big of a deal. Personally, I never used Skitch for this. I liked it because it very quickly showed me all my screenshots. Its possible to also see these in EN using various techniques but these all require a bunch of clicking around. All this being said, if dropping Sktich means the EN team can focus more on the core product, then I'm for it. I wonder if dropping Sktich on Mac will happen soon... 

Archived