Add support for CMD+click to select multiple tags

pandson

Idea

I have Evernote setup with notebooks and tags running down the left hand pane. I organise my day jumping through through these tags quickly and frequently to answer questions like: "what .Active Projects do I have that are @Work, from Paul, and prioritized as 2-Next". 

It looks like there is no way I can CMD+click to select multiple tags at the same time? 

Constructing separate search arguments each time I want to jump between tag combinations massively slows down my workflow and seems an unnecessarily laborious way of achieving what should be a simple task.

Is there some reason why the app engineers chose to end support the Mac global standard of CMD+click to select multiple items at the same time? 

I'm guessing I'm probably not the first person to ask for this...

Cheers!

• Like 4

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On September 9, 2016 at 3:48 AM, pandson said:

I have Evernote setup with notebooks and tags running down the left hand pane. I organise my day jumping through through these tags quickly and frequently to answer questions like: "what .Active Projects do I have that are @Work, from Paul, and prioritized as 2-Next". 

It looks like there is no way I can CMD+click to select multiple tags at the same time

I up voted the request; we have the tag list and should be able to use it

As @gazumped said, once you've composed a search, save it.  You can even add it to your shortcuts section.

Also, make use of the component selector at the bottom of the search box. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, istarninwa said:

What on earth could possibly delay this crucial feature?

Hi.  There are lots of 'crucial' issues out there with far more votes than this feature.  There are still a lot of bugs Evernote needs to squash.

• Level 5*

6 hours ago, istarninwa said:

How is this still not possible? It's so intuitive. Things like that leave me exasperated. 

To select multiple tags for searching, use the tag picker in the upper right corner5a7c5ffc48401_ScreenShot2018-02-08at06_30_00.png.df3eff043d3ca046164959b8184b66dc.png

or the search builder at the bottom of the search box

5a7c62a76b485_ScreenShot2018-02-08at06_44_50.png.f1e1a0768f91fdac6332ac5b5d6994bb.png

>>What on earth could possibly delay this crucial feature?

This does not seem to be a high priority request.  It currently has 5a7c635607162_ScreenShot2018-02-08at06_48_02.png.ea3e2a26b70a3c41cbee6aa9d0838f57.png  votes.
Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion

I too am mystified by how poor tag search-ability is in Evernote, especially when compared to how it used to work.

I first used Evernote 10 years ago BECAUSE it had this feature (click to select multiple tags for searches) and stopped because it lacked another critical feature (the ability to export or print my notes efficiently). Since then, I keep coming back (in both paid and unpaid accounts) hoping that the export features have improved--and while there are some minimal improvements there, it's still not where I need it to be yet--and the tag search-ability has taken a huge step backward! 

10 years ago, it used to be that one could easily select multiple tags at once for searches AND Evernote used to display the number of files within each tag in the navigation pane (without having to click on the "tags" button). That info was helpful because it allowed one to quickly see if a tag was worth including in a "multiple tag search combination " scenario. This is an essential feature. Now, there is no way to select multiple tags by clicking, and it's hugely time consuming (and awkward) to type in ANDs and ORs with the UI as it is now.  It could be so much more. Tagging is easy. Searching should too!! This will bring people to Evernote from the competition!

Seriously though, I wonder why it isn't up-voted. I suspect this isn't up-voted solely because your users aren't using tags to their full potential. They don't even know what value tags can bring. Please consider prioritizing the improvement on the searching experience for complicated networks of tags. The image is the kind of tagging structure I use to find appropriate lesson activities for team teaching assignments. I currently have hundreds of assignments and activities tagged but am prevented from scaling up to thousands or tens of thousands of activities (and many other applications) until the tag-searching experience is improved.

image.thumb.png.9028c0fc1935e4c79be9b58650b4dce4.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, Toepiyo said:

I suspect this isn't up-voted solely because your users aren't using tags to their full potential.

Users seem to be divided into two main groups - those using notebooks,  and those who use tags for organisation.  I think most folks have a pretty good grip on how to use tags,  but maybe random combinations of keywords is not the way they roll.  I tend to use saved searches accessed from my Shortcuts bar for a variety of tasks,  and a Filterize account which 'pre-searches' some routine daily activities like to-do lists and reminders and presents me with a Table of Contents note containing my day/ week/ month's assignments.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Toepiyo said:

it used to be that one could easily select multiple tags at once for searches

The latest UI presents a filtered tag list that allows selection of multiple tags.  2135778001_ScreenShot2020-05-31at3_49_04AM.png.dac7688462004f0b06f53847ed08b3d9.png
The list shows the tags filtered for the notes, and becomes more filtered as additional tags are selected

>>Evernote used to display the number of files within each tag in the navigation pane1607860575_ScreenShot2020-05-31at3_43_21AM.png.96765cdac2de564fd4908b27bcd42ad5.png

Number of notes in the sidebar is an option, enabled in Evernote > Preferences

>>users aren't using tags to their full potential. They don't even know what value tags can bring.

I see the same thing
Many users are focussed on Notebooks.  They're used to working with folders, and they think notebooks are folders