Notes not available offline despite being Premium subscriber and having "Download All Notes" checked

mypointofview

Idea

Hello,

I'm a premium subscriber. I absolutely need my notes when offline. On my iPad Mini 2 Retina, late 2013 (iOS 9.3.4) I had always checked in Evernote (latest version because I auto-update) in preferences "Download All Notes" but today for the first time I'm presented with a warning that says "No Internet connection - Download this notebook to access it the next time you're offline" (shown together with a slider button and an airplane icon on top). I would like to mention that I have often used Evernote without an Internet connection, successfully viewing any of my notes! This error is completely new to me.

I have tried to change the global settings to "Download Selected Notebooks" and there I have selected *each* of my notebooks but the problem remains. It appears that I have to view a note when online and only there after that note is offline available as well. This is a new behavior! I'm using Evernote for several years successfully on iOS, syncing with the cloud. It can't be that I have to dig through each notebook and view it when online, just to make sure that I have it also when offline.

I have professional notes on Evernote that I need to be able to access for my job when in the basement of buildings – it is crucial for my work. I just paid my annual fee and I'm willing to pay more next year due to Evernote's new subscription model.

Am I the only one with this issue – is this a new problem?

Thanks,
Martin

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, mypointofview said:

I'm a premium subscriber. I absolutely need my notes when offline. On my iPad Mini 2 Retina, late 2013 (iOS 9.3.4) I checked in Evernote (latest version because I auto-update) in preferences "Download All Notes" but today for the first time I'm presented with a warning that says "No Internet connection - Download this notebook to access it the next time you're offline" (shown together with a slider button and an airplane icon on top). I would like to mention that I have often used Evernote without an Internet connection, successfully viewing any of my notes! This error is completely new to me.

I have tried to change the global settings to "Download Selected Notebooks" and there I have selected *each* of my notebooks but the problem remains. It appears that I have to view a note when online and only there after that note is offline available as well. This is a new behavior! I'm using Evernote for several years successfully on iOS, syncing with the cloud. It can't be that I have to dig through each notebook and view it when online, just to make sure that I have it also when offline.

I have professional notes on Evernote that I need to be able to access for my job when in the basement of buildings – it is crucial for my work. I just paid my annual fee and I'm willing to pay more next year due to Evernote's new subscription model.

Am I the only one with this issue – is this a new problem?

I understand it's an issue reported with the latest release - see https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/99256-evernote-for-ios-716-released/?do=findComment&comment=428366

Is your offline screen currently showing any downloads in progress - it's a slow process.

You might try flipping the switches to start a dowload.  Pick a small notebook so you can see some progress

Thank you for letting me know that I'm not the only one. It helps on an emotional level but to earn my money as a pro, I need my offline notes in a reliable way. I don't want to express myself here, how extremely frustrated I am – my colleagues know it already. I am was a paying customer and I started paying for the offline note feature. Apparently the beta testing team at Evernote did not test the situation of a user who is offline.

I have over a hundred notebooks. Now I have to sit there and click and toggle around or dig in backup to get an older version of the app back? Please note that Apple's Notes app works offline and is free.

I will wait and see. But if this is not resolved by next week I will request that my premium subscription be reimbursed. Reason: does not work as advertised (offline notes).

-Martin

Edit: I now cancelled my subscription, requested a refund and disputed Evernote's charge with my credit card company.

I've also been shocked and surprised when I can't access my Premium notes offline. I live in an extremely remote area of Australia, and don't get cell (mobile) service except via a roof antenna to a special router/modem. All my notebooks are supposed to be "offline", but after just reading (for the first time) Evernote's instructions, I realise that unless I look at each and every critical note on all my devices before I leave home, those "offline" notes won't be visible, even after a successful sync on all devices! That seems rather counter-intuitive and definitely illogical and a real hassle. One would assume that after a "sync", that each and every "offline" note and notebook would just go to every device that was synced... In any case, this should be a priority for Evernote's next release. Crazy!

• Level 5*
On 2016-11-30 at 3:16 PM, Jeffe01 said:

I've also been shocked and surprised when I can't access my Premium notes offline.

It seems to work ok for me

The initial sync takes a long time but eventually all the notes are downloaded

There was a bug in a recent upgrade that required me to re-download my notes.

So what is the story here. If I tell it to sync will I be able to get my offline content? What do I need to do to get it to sync everything. I ran up against the I am offline message yesterday and created quite a problem with a supplier because I was not able to bring up a note.

• Level 5*
On 2016-12-15 at 10:00 AM, Robmcp said:

So what is the story here. If I tell it to sync will I be able to get my offline content? What do I need to do to get it to sync everything. I ran up against the I am offline message yesterday and created quite a problem with a supplier because I was not able to bring up a note.

Are you allowing enough time for the offline download - it takes a long time

You might also check your settings and make sure you're allowing background syncing

Has Evernote offered an explanation or update about this? I am rarely totally off-line these days, so I just discovered that my notes aren't downloaded (despite being Premium). This is a big deal.

Why haven't they downloaded in the background? How do you get them to download--do you have to keep the app open and set your iPhone to stay unlocked for as long as it takes for them to download?  

I hope this doesn't happen with future updates--or if it's a known problem, I would like to be warned to attend to it.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, JFH29 said:

Has Evernote offered an explanation or update about this? I am rarely totally off-line these days, so I just discovered that my notes aren't downloaded (despite being Premium). This is a big deal.

Did you flag the notebooks for offline access?590b820f4e6c5_IMG_16492.thumb.PNG.17ea5516a9586ec00bc0e0e26177ad72.PNG
This is indicated by a little arrow to the left of the notebook name

You specify this in User Settings > Notebook > Offline

Yes, they're all marked with that symbol, but they're not downloading (as far as I can tell).  I've also got the option for "background refresh" ticked in settings, so I have no idea why they're not downloaded yet.

As in the image you have here, the bar for "download" is incomplete (in the case of "filing" in your screenshot).

• Level 5*

Sometimes un-checking auto lock  and then just letting EN run solves the problem, though downloads in the new version have been reported to take longer.

Archived