Tags in Non-existent shared noteboooks

Hi, 

I'm posting this in Mac since that's what I use, although to be honest, I suspect the problem exists everywhere. 

Let me describe the sequence of events: 

1) I have my personal Evernote installation

2) I used one for my work

3) I shared a folder on my personal version so that I could occasionally exchange notes between the two

4) I shutdown the Work Evernote installation

5) I've unshared all the notebooks I shared (since for some deleting the account doesn't do that)

Now I have a bunch of tags, all of them with a 'zero' use count. If I try to delete the tag I get the error message 'Can't delete 'white papers'. This tag is in a shared notebook.' The subtext says 'Would you like to remove 'white papers' from all notes?'

The simple fact is that isn't in a shared notebook, since I no longer have one. More to the point, it's not attached to any notes, because there aren't any, and the count wouldn't be zero if that was the case. 

If I then select 'Remove Tag From Notes', Evernote does nothing. The tag remains, tag count remains zero and nothing is fixed.

How I do fix this? Auto completion now shows a bunch of tags I no longer use, and no longer have a use for, which I am unable to delete. 

MC

• Level 5*

Hi.  First fix is to log out of your account (File and Exit) and restart your device.  That might reset the tags.  If not,  try holding Option (or Control in Windows) and click on Help.  You'll get an admin Help menu which includes an option to delete unused tags.

• Level 5*

Signing out and logging back in forces the app to check sync is up to date and clears out temporary caches (the restart is to make sure they're gone) so sometimes it does make a difference.  And apologies I misspoke - it's Command-click for the expanded help menu.

Option is the only one that shows any additional items in any menu, but 'Delete Unused Tags' is not one of the provided options. 

Even manually deleting the caches, or even the entire Evernote library and re-downloading does not clear the tags. 

However, I have discovered that deleting them in the web interface works. 

• Level 5*

Well my gracious. (I'm avoiding any offence to the forum AI..).  I managed to get that very wrong...  just to prove I'm not hallucinating,  the Windows menu is below - didn't realise the the options were so different.  Glad you found a way around it anyway.  ;)

Extended Help menu.jpg

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

Well my gracious. (I'm avoiding any offence to the forum AI..).  I managed to get that very wrong...  just to prove I'm not hallucinating,  the Windows menu is below - didn't realise the the options were so different.  Glad you found a way around it anyway.  ;)

For comparison, here's the troubleshooting items on the Mac compared to your Windows screenshot.
There's probably more to be said, but I don't want to rub it in :)

MacScreen Shot 2016-09-05 at 9.54.12 AM.png                          Windows 57cd428a53ef5_ExtendedHelpmenu.jpg.a0d844318dfabcb975837669ff37373a.jpg

Archived