Sub Notebooks, directories, passcode protection

After many years as a Evernote customer, I am starting the move away from this product. Repeatedly users have asked for subnotebooks or nested notebooks and it has fallin on deaf ears. The tag system sucks, period!

I user evernote for ab bazillion catagories of work notes, home notes, scanned bills, school notes, etc. The work needs to separated by projects, projetcs within projects, people, etc. I want my work notes completely separated from my home notes. My family can get to the home notes, but there is no reason for them to have access to by work notes. If this were possible I would have to passcode protect/segragate one directory. Now I have 100+ notebooks scattered all over the place. My notetaking is move elsewhere.

Organizationally, protected sub notebooks are simpler since they mimic who the rest of the world works. I don't undrstand why Evernote isnt listening. Many years ago they had this feature and I ran an entire laboratoty on it. Today, not so much. I am looking for ideas on similar cloud based products that will do what we need. Any ideas out there? 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, gaangus@gmail.com said:

After many years as a Evernote customer, I am starting the move away from this product. Repeatedly users have asked for subnotebooks or nested notebooks and it has fallin on deaf ears. The tag system sucks, period!

Good bye, Good Luck

The tag system doesn't suck, but if it doesn't work for you you're better off with an alternate system

There are plenty of alternative products and EN makes it easy to export your notes (Desktop feature)

I use the tag system because I am forced to. I does not work for me or for many, many other people. There have been complaints about this organizational system since Evernote made the change to the cloud (or online server based system back then - there was no cloud). This board  has many entries of complaints since 2008. Other issues like passowrd protection have also not been addressed either. None of these issues seem unrealistic or unreasonable. The tagging system can stay in place to be an alternative feature or to complement the sub notebooks. I am not a guru, but surely their programmers can figure this out since 2008? I have been writing checks to Evernote since they started. I was one of the early complaints when they elliminated the subnotebook system. They are still cashing my checks, yet I see no headway on this matter. Is the mesage here, "***** you guys, we know better"?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, gaangus@gmail.com said:

I disagree, but they're not for everyone.

11 minutes ago, gaangus@gmail.com said:

I user evernote for ab bazillion catagories of work notes, home notes, scanned bills, school notes, etc. The work needs to separated by projects, projetcs within projects, people, etc. I want my work notes completely separated from my home notes. My family can get to the home notes, but there is no reason for them to have access to by work notes. If this were possible I would have to passcode protect/segragate one directory. Now I have 100+ notebooks scattered all over the place. My notetaking is move elsewhere.

Why not have an account for your personal/home stuff and a separate account for work? I use a Basic account for my work notes, and share some of its notebooks with my personal account for when I work at home. This works well for me, but if you don't want to share notebooks, but want to access your work notes from home, you could always just log out of your home Evernote account and log into your work account. The Windows client for Premium users lets you switch without signing out, even.

• Level 5*

I use the tag system because I am forced to. I does not work for me or for many, many other people.

Its not clear what system you want to use, but if it doesn't work for you my opinion would be you're using the wrong product

>>Is the mesage here, "***** you guys, we know better"?

You picked this product to use - It has a specific set of features - I don't see a hidden message here

Thanks you for you suggestion. I am a premium account holder and thought that it would handle all of my needs. Even the most basic journaling software offers nested folders/directories/notebooks. They used to have it and then they dropped it. It was great back then. This board is full of complaints on the issue. Thanks for the reply.

• Level 5*

14 minutes ago, gaangus@gmail.com said:

I use the tag system because I am forced to. I does not work for me or for many, many other people. There have been complaints about this organizational system since Evernote made the change to the cloud (or online server based system back then - there was no cloud). This board  has many entries of complaints since 2008. Other issues like passowrd protection have also not been addressed either. None of these issues seem unrealistic or unreasonable. The tagging system can stay in place to be an alternative feature or to complement the sub notebooks. I am not a guru, but surely their programmers can figure this out since 2008? I have been writing checks to Evernote since they started. I was one of the early complaints when they elliminated the subnotebook system. They are still cashing my checks, yet I see no headway on this matter. Is the mesage here, "***** you guys, we know better"?

It's curious that you'd keep giving them money for 8 years, despite being unhappy about Evernote's main organization facilities. There must be something keeping you sending them checks, why wouldn't they cash them? And you must be making it work somehow. I believe that tags could help -- what's the difficulty you're having (outside fo the fact that you seem to be mixing personal and work information, which may be addressed separately)?

Jetito, You are correct, I have been making it work. Most of Evernote's features are superior to other products. I get that. But their unresponsiness to these issues has gotten under my skin, especially as my demand for these features has increased. I liked Evernote because they were adding new innovative features all of the time. For some reason, they seem to have a block on understanding the importance of this feature request for many of their users. Just read the board, its like Evernote is speaking another language on this issue. 

This is about making the product better for everyone, every where. That was their trademark. I am not knocking the company as a whole, just whoever is failing to understand the importance of the issues I am raising needs to be talked to by somebody. Just read the reviews of this product outside of the Evernote promos.

DTLow, I only wish I could count the numbers of users losts by Evernote due to their complex tagging system. I read the board too, as well as outside reviews. Its a great product, but it could be better. If Evernote's position is: "You knew what the product was when you bought it (most people don't), so if you don't like it, get out!", that would be a shame. You might as well take down the feature request board and the tech service board. Like I said, I am know guru, but I am a very long time user of Evernote and I do understand customer service, feature requests and product support.

Evernote was about listening to the customersd and adapting. What happened? Most people do just get feed up and leave if they get confused. That does not have to happen, especially to long time premium customers. I have read your posts (well done by the way) and you yourself have fielded many of these same support issues and feature requests for sub notebooks. Who at the company is really listening to us on the sub notebook - passcode protection requests? If there is a techical reason for ignoring these feature requests, please explain why?

Thanks again  for your replies. 

Jefito, Its not just about categorizing data, it's about the segragation of data so as not to be seen unless required. Imaging having 3 folders on a desk. Each folder has other folders whick contain your life's work, photos, bills, corrospondence, atc. etc. etc. When you come into the room, what do you see? Answer - three folders in a neat office.

Now I see 200 folders scattered all of the place and family has access to everthing. I have no personal privacy, nor do I have business privacy/security. It's like having an extremely messy desktop on your computer. Its about having data storage online like it is on your computer. Tagging is not the answer to that unless I am completly missing the point. Tagging is an on demand sorting feature which seems to offer little in the visual organization of the data. It offers no privacy.

You suggusted I buy more accounts, only to have more folders laying around at additional expense.

You are about making the existing product work, alternatively, I and suggesting how make it better for many, many customers. 

I hope that explains the issue better. Now what am I missing?

Thanks

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, gaangus@gmail.com said:

Who at the company is really listening to us on the sub notebook - passcode protection requests? If there is a techical reason for ignoring these feature requests, please explain why?

All posts are read by support staff (we know this because we've been told continually since 2008, when I came on board), and many are read by technical staff, including project managers and developers (we know this because because they respond here, though not to everything). My impression from following Dave Engberg's posts over the years (he was CTO in 2008 up until last year, and was quite active in the forums from 2008 for at least a few year) was that they just weren't interested in providing nested notebooks.

I would not say that they are ignoring the requests. They are certainly aware of them, and probably discuss these things behind the scenes. But they're not implementing them, which is different than ignoring them.

There's no technical reason that I'm aware of, but of course adding a new central architectural feature like this ripples across all Evernote clients, the server database, the Evernote API and the search language, at a minimum. Oh, and documentation for all of that. It is not a simple task, as other forum-goers have claimed. They tend not to make such changes lightly: stacks (an actual organizational feature) and reminders (new note attributes) are the biggies that I can recall off the top of my head, and they both took time to roll out and solidify in usage.

• Level 5*

You suggusted I buy more accounts, only to have more folders laying around at additional expense.

I suggested that you may be able to use a Basic account, which remains free. That would be one approach to segregating your work and your personal notes. Subnotebooks would hardly be be a solution to that at all; all of your notes are still there in a single account; no privacy or security at all. 

I use the two account approach, and it works well for me. I have a Premium account for personal use at home, and I have a Basic account for work at the office. But I can share notebooks back and forth (for example, I have a large software development notebook that I share to my work account, and I share a couple of notebooks from work to my personal account).

Only when you've cleared that up would I suggest addressing organizational issues using tags. But if can't separate your work and personal stuff, then what would be the point?

12 minutes ago, jefito said:

they just weren't interested in providing nested notebooks.

Yes, that is how I remember the whole nested notebook thing. I was one one of the ones making the argument back the then. That's why it gets under my skin today especially after reading the board. I have a lot of data on Evernote and a move can not be taken lightly, one of the resons I kept sending those checks. Thanks for your replies.

Archived