Support Line Spacing

InnocentSparrow

Idea

I've been looking on the internet for an option or a work around to adjust the line spacing in evernote notes, but there doesn't seem to be an effective way to change it for large blocks of text (e.g. an article). I deal with a lot of asian texts, and they're quite unwieldy to read on Evernote. There's an attached picture of it. 

I'd like to have this option available so things can be done directly in Evernote, and not have to resort to copying and pasting all the text into a word document, change the formatting, then copy and paste it back into Evernote OR attach a separate file. Seems a bit silly to have this extra, unnecessary step. 

post-228674-0-63673100-1413506034_thumb.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 9:52 AM, gazumped said:

It might be a culture thing - Evernote's existing note editor is fine for personal notes,  and I double-space to get a paragraph.  If I'm producing a more formal document and need layout,  I'll do that in Word and attach the word file to my note.  If you're not a paying customer,  therefore won't have an attached Office file indexed for searches,  just copy/ paste the content of your document into the note as text.  Intermittent re-copy/ pastes will keep it up to date enough to find the note easily.

Evernote always have the problem - if they add line spacing,  what about outlining?  And text styles?  And pagination? And the rest? 

In a year or two they'll be maintaining something as complex as Word as well as trying to keep sync and search times down and deal with complaints about how complicated the  Note window now looks with about a hundred extra icons on the toolbar...

Line spacing goes hand in hand with readable note taking. It's not like we're asking for much.

• Like 2

When I copy and paste text, and remove formatting, it often sets the line spacing at 2.0 or something, and there is no way to change it. It completely destroys the purpose of using evernote to keep things tidy.

Line spacing is a necessary feature for this program, it's not simply a "nice to have."

On 2/12/2018 at 4:00 PM, DTLow said:

switch to a word processing document (Word/Pages)

Do not insult my intelligence by telling me to use an external rich text processor. I pay a lot of money for evernote. This feature is EASILY implemented and should be included. Arguing against implementing line spacing is as wrong as arguing against the progress of society as a whole. I don't understand why you have such a bone to pick against this feature. You seem to repeatedly post the exact same sentiment everywhere as if you still weren't satisfied with yourself. It's beyond me why you have such a problem with it. It makes no sense and people have requested this for eight years.

There is no reason to have all the text options except for line spacing. What a silly thing to argue about. Please consider adding this very basic text editing feature. This is a premium product and I'm constantly dumbfounded that I can't edit the line spacing.

It's actually quite interesting (borderline on maddening)  how Evernote deals with blank lines. I write a moderate amount of programming scripts (bash, python, Cisco IOS, etc.) and have found Evernote invaluable for staying organized. But the lack of line spacing makes saving snippets of code and data completely useless.

Even when using "code block" formatting, extra line spaces are stripped away.  Line spacing is everything for making code readable, and sometimes can affect the results of the program.

I'd be okay with the default behavior of stripping away extra characters, but EN really needs to observe spacing when using code block formatting, otherwise the feature does nothing more than make the background grey.

See attachments with Notepad++ samples on the left, and the pasted block into EN on the right.

ScreenShot paste into code block.PNG

ScreenShot paste into standard note.PNG

Just now, ooMikeoo said:

2018, still nothing

i find it more likely that a proper superior competitor to emerge than to evernote to listen to users and implement this basic stuff

Please add a line spacing feature.

Please add a toolbar button that drops down the following line spacing choices at a minimum and will set that spacing for any highlighted text:

Just like indenting or font size, this is a common, basic feature but is highly desirable and very frustrating not to have available.

• Like 6
40 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You have the option to use mostly any word processing editor for features like line spacing.  
The Evernote editor works well for basic notes; for word processing, Word/Pages are superior editors.

Hey DTLow, I would really like to have another message from you on this forum telling us to use a word processing app. This is some really top notch contribution here. I like that in a feature request forum, you are telling people to stop requesting features.

I wonder how many times you have said that people should use an external word processor app.

I wonder very simply because you have said it countless times.

You keep posting this idea as if it were some new thing nobody ever thought of doing. It adds nothing, nobody here thinks you're clever. You are the single most useless force to ever exist in the history of software development.

Does anyone really value your contributions here? Your trite responses are getting extremely tiring.

• Like 2
On 12/7/2016 at 10:56 PM, DTLow said:

Not important to me, but then I'm just writing notes. I just use a blank line

Have you considered using a word processing app?

You know, of course it differs from the usage you have. For my part, I'm also just writing notes. When they get longer, I have to make sure these notes stay readable, so I add an extra space between paragraphs. Sometimes, these notes transforms themselves into articles that might get published. So I use the very handy Url-Sharing functionality to give access to my note-turned-out-article to editors so that they can access the live-updated-latest-version-of-my-note-turned-article. If it's good, they will copy-paste it to their InDesign or whatever program they use. And guess what? I addition to the default paragraph-spacing of their Indesign or other program, my duplicated additional space-between-paragraphs appears! That is obviously a problem. Same problem happens if I paste my article directly from my Evernote to Microsoft Word or similar.

at least have something like the attached.

I will give evernote couple of more months to address these issues or have a transparent roadmap, otherwise, I'll migrate to Notion. Or maybe Bear.

It will be painful, but worth it.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 19.13.45.png

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

You have the option to use mostly any word processing editor for features like line spacing.  The Evernote editor works well for basic notes.

i am ignoring you from now on dude. life's simply too short to try to communicate a basic message to the likes of you

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

You have the option to use mostly any word processing editor for features like line spacing.  
The Evernote editor works well for basic notes; for word processing, Word/Pages are superior editors.

I use a word processing app every day.

The issue for ME is that I build my notes in Evernote over time, but when I want to take it to a word processing app, the paste into Word (or Wordpress) now has a blank line between every paragraph. I understand that I put the blank line there, but I did so because Evernote does not give me the option to display a larger line space between paragraphs, making it hard to read unless I hit 'enter' twice.

For me, it's simply a display issue in Evernote. I don't need a word processor, but I want it not to hamper things once I transfer to an actual word processor.

Even this very forum puts about a line space and a half between paragraphs. I don't have to hit enter twice to see when paragraphs change.

Almost a year passed, is there anything new with the line height editing? The 1,0 default spacing is killing my eyes (readability is terrible), and I am really not going to add an empty line after every line of text manually. Would have known this earlier, I wouldn´t buy the Premium.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not a big concern for me.  If I needed it, I'd use of a word processing app like Apple Pages or MS Word

>>You're about to lose a customer

Good Bye, Good Luck

DTLow, I'm happy line spacing isn't a big concern for you, but it is for others, which is why you just typed that response to a post complaining about it.... It's also why, if you search "how to reduce line spacing in Evernote", Google is more than happy to give you a long list of past complaints that echo this one. Your sole agenda bears no significance on the large community of Evernote users.  Saying that a problem isn't a big deal for you doesn't render it solved. Your time here as a "guru" should be spent helping people, not dismissing them. Customers have the right to an annoyed tone, especially when a feature is so minute that it's crazy it hasn't been initiated. If you're confused, please reread your response and see how it provided no value. This isn't Reddit.

To see the requests past, just google "how to edit line spacing in Evernote." Here are some links. Just note the dates (2010, etc.):

The main issue is that the line spacing doesn't change when the font size changes. So when you make the font smaller it's not saving room at all, which kind of defeats one of the purposes of a font size.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, rdenzel said:

I use a word processing app every day.

The issue for ME is that I build my notes in Evernote over time, but when I want to take it to a word processing app, the paste into Word (or Wordpress) now has a blank line between every paragraph. I understand that I put the blank line there, but I did so because Evernote does not give me the option to display a larger line space between paragraphs, making it hard to read unless I hit 'enter' twice.

For me, it's simply a display issue in Evernote. I don't need a word processor, but I want it not to hamper things once I transfer to an actual word processor.

Even this very forum puts about a line space and a half between paragraphs. I don't have to hit enter twice to see when paragraphs change.

Depending upon where you spend most of your time you can turn paragraph off in Word.

I agree a paragraph option would be nice, though I’m not sure what would happen with EN’s editor as it reconciled the different ways paragraphs get defined.  Exercise for the programmer I suppose.  

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Depending upon where you spend most of your time you can turn paragraph off in Word.

I agree a paragraph option would be nice, though I’m not sure what would happen with EN’s editor as it reconciled the different ways paragraphs get defined.  Exercise for the programmer I suppose.  

The paragraphs are there, EN just doesn't display them with an space between them. 

If I copy/paste into Word I get the paragraphs I want UNLESS I've added a blank line between them in EN.

In my mind, it stopped being a mere text editor when it got indents, bullets, bold, italic, etc. 

• Level 5*
On 8/25/2019 at 5:37 PM, err said:

How difficult can that be to implement?

Not difficult,  but something that probably affects the underlying editor code.  They're upgrading the editor already - maybe there's a range of changes coming including this one.  Meantime if you can work around it - all the better.

EDIT: plus to remove random code from a note - copy some or all of the text into a text-only app,  then copy and paste it back.  Windows Notepad and Notepad++ work for me...

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote have made some recent changes to the Mac editor which should be finding their way onto the Windows version too.  Although the intent was to 'improve' the editor to deal better with tables, bullets and lists,  it's always been my understanding that the editor was never meant to compete with a full word processor with fonts,  and line spacing and all the other good layout tools.  At the October conference recently though,  comments were reported that makes it seem that Evernote might be about to compete with Office as a working environment.  We'll have to wait and see what comes of that.  At the moment though the only options for better line spacing are the ones you already know.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jonas Lismont said:

You know what? paragraph spacing is supported on Evernote forums but not in the app itself

Well, if that isn't ironic, I 'll need to ask Alanis Morrisette what is...

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Jonas Lismont said:

That is obviously a problem.

Not disagreeing,  but there are plenty of ways around it for the moment.  Evernote are improving the editor and may be about to release better features - they just don't (usually) comment on stuff like this.  Meantime votes at top left will make sure that if they didn't already include something on line spacing,  it'll get added later...

Ridiculously simple feature that makes ALL the difference when reading notes on phone. It's insane how fundamental this is, yet Evernote has not included this. It's in every other editor except Evernote. Like I stated in the title, this has been requested six years ago. You're about to lose a customer over a ridiculously small problem.

If I don't see this in the next update I'm switching to any other app, the reason being 100% just because I need adjustable line spacing.

Simpler than simple solution to a substantial problem.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I'm intrigued that this has been "requested since 2011" - is there another thread in the forums somewhere,  or did I miss a memo?  I agree it's a nice-to-have,  but Evernote  surely have other issues to fix before this one?

• Level 5*
On 2017-05-26 at 2:36 PM, madebymsk said:

makes ALL the difference when reading notes on phone.

Not a big concern for me.  If I needed it, I'd use of a word processing app like Apple Pages or MS Word

>>You're about to lose a customer

Good Bye, Good Luck

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, madebymsk said:

please reread your response and see how it provided no value

So you didn't like my word processing app suggestion

iWork/Office documents work well with Evernote.  I often use them as attachments to notes

• Level 5*

Clearly this feature is important to you,  but even if Evernote were already working on the code it's unlikely to be released in the next few weeks.  Unless and until they do add this feature you'll need some way to work around the lack of style controls for the time being if you continue using Evernote. 

I also use WP software - in my case MSWord - to create any documents that need layout.  For the most part I just operate in Evernote basic layout mode.

In setting the schedules for internal development I imagine that Evernote consider some of these questions - Will it:

• improve the experience of most/ all of our 200M users?
  • attract enough new subscribers into using our product?
  • be reliably achievable within the limitations of all the different operating systems and various platforms we support?
  • be more important than other bug-fixes or more popular than other feature requests,  or should be working on fixes for those?

They are working to improve the editor software,  and that may include some work on fonts and styles.  We'll have to wait and see what's released.

I agree that this would be a helpful feature.

Some of my notes are in Khmer (Cambodian) alphabet, which can include vowel symbols above and below consonants, taking up a lot of line space. Because Evernote doesn't provide the ability to expand the size of a line (or space between lines), characters on one line sometimes overlap characters on the next line. In the attached example, I've circled a bit where there could be overlap, but fortunately, the horizontal spacing worked out to avoid the problem. I'm not always so lucky!

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 2.17.14 PM.png

Agreed! Often when a note gets really long and detailed it's hard to follow without a manual line break between paragraphs. When I later decide to paste it into a wordpress or a word processor, I have to go and delete all the extra lines.

• Level 5*

It might be a culture thing - Evernote's existing note editor is fine for personal notes,  and I double-space to get a paragraph.  If I'm producing a more formal document and need layout,  I'll do that in Word and attach the word file to my note.  If you're not a paying customer,  therefore won't have an attached Office file indexed for searches,  just copy/ paste the content of your document into the note as text.  Intermittent re-copy/ pastes will keep it up to date enough to find the note easily.

Evernote always have the problem - if they add line spacing,  what about outlining?  And text styles?  And pagination? And the rest? 

In a year or two they'll be maintaining something as complex as Word as well as trying to keep sync and search times down and deal with complaints about how complicated the  Note window now looks with about a hundred extra icons on the toolbar...

• Level 5*
On 2018-02-09 at 10:52 PM, muppetman said:

Paid for premium because I used the app for taking notes off and on and felt like it was deserved, but what's with it lacking so much basic functionality. It's not even a very complex feature to add.

On 2018-02-09 at 10:55 PM, muppetman said:

Line spacing goes hand in hand with readable note taking. It's not like we're asking for much.

When I need advanced features like line spacing, I switch to a word processing document (Word/Pages)
I store the document as an attachment to a note; Evernote works well with office/iwork documents

Please indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion

On 22/01/2018 at 8:52 PM, gazumped said:

a simple 1.15x, 1.5x and 2x spacing feature would not kill to have. similar to bear's.

same goes for paragraphs. just to improve readibility.

On 13/02/2018 at 12:00 AM, DTLow said:

When I need advanced features like line spacing, I switch to a word processing document (Word/Pages)
I store the document as an attachment to a note; Evernote works well with office/iwork documents

Please indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion

why should I add another layer of complexity just to be able to read my notes? or to properly format wrongly clipped webpages with weird double header clippings

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, ssxtrix said:

why should I add another layer of complexity just to be able to read my notes? or to properly format wrongly clipped webpages with weird double header clippings

For the record,  applying a line spacing option to an HTML page clipped from elsewhere is probably not going to end well. 

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, gazumped said:

For the record,  applying a line spacing option to an HTML page clipped from elsewhere is probably not going to end well. 

I always clip simplified article. Even then sometimes spacing gets off. Esp. with the titles. The title of the webpage becomes the title of the note and the first line of text with bold, big and spaced letters. When you delete that, the next line becomes weirdly spaced. You unbold and make the font size smaller but spacing stays...

On 1/22/2018 at 12:52 PM, gazumped said:

2018, still nothing

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Jollyjack said:

you are telling people to stop requesting features.

That's not true.  I encourage people to submit feature requests, or indicate their support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.

I'm not into the "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts.  They are totally useless, and a waste of the forum resources.

>>Does anyone really value your contributions here?

My latest count is 2,820 points

This is very much a needed feature. Evernote lacks formatting options in general, but line spacing is very important. I take class notes in bullet point fashion and it's all very cramped together to the point I need to add empty lines to create some space in between topics to be able to read better. Just being able to adjust the space between lines would improve my experience tremendously

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ThomasCee said:

So it's almost 2019, is this an option now?

I am running into the same issue. I reduce the font size to reduce space, and the line spacing remains the same.

The answer is still: use an external word processor (or any app that supports line spacing) and copy / paste into the note.  Evernote (still) does not natively have the ability to mess with line spacing.  This is a votable thread,  and with a massive 3 supporting this feature,  it seems unlikely to get much priority in the grand scheme of things.

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

The answer is still: use an external word processor (or any app that supports line spacing) and copy / paste into the note.  Evernote (still) does not natively have the ability to mess with line spacing.  This is a votable thread,  and with a massive 3 supporting this feature,  it seems unlikely to get much priority in the grand scheme of things.

Okay, well if that is the overall opinion and attitude of Evernote admins, Evernote will shrink over time and lose market share. I was simply asking a question as have several others.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, ThomasCee said:

Okay, well if that is the overall opinion and attitude of Evernote admins, ... I was simply asking a question as have several others.

This is a user discussion forum.  We're all users here.
You asked a question and received the facts from from another user.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, ThomasCee said:

Wow brother, I am sorry. I'll not ask again then I guess.

You're not getting smacked down here - like @DTLow said,  you asked,  we answered.  Sorry it wasn't what you were looking for,  but we're not being mean - just stating the facts...  Feel free to comment / ask for more information if it's necessary any time.  There's lots of queries out there,  so our posts tend to be short and to the point.  Usually...

@gazumped: Hello and thank you for taking the time to reply to so many user queries. I just started using Evernote (on Linux, using Tusk, on macOS, and on the web) and one of the first things I looked for was to control the line spacing in the document. By default, Evernote line spacing is too "ventilated" for my taste. As other users have pointed out over the years, line space control is hardly an exotic feature; it's so fundamental to formatted text editing that its absence in Evernote is conspicuous, especially when you consider that all of the other basic formatting controls are present, like font selection and sizing, list creation, bold, italics, underline, highlighting, etc. If one were to aggregate over the germane threads of conversation to this forum, one would find an upvote far greater than 4 (it's current value) to indicate its importance, and, to some degree, the understandable frustration of the Evernote user base with respect to this low-hanging fruit. Again, thank you for your considerate responses and the time you've taken to write them.

@DTLow: Hello and thank you too for taking the time to reply to so many user queries. Regarding your suggestion to use a separate text editor to do formatted text editing prior to pasting into Evernote, while providing a useful workaround in the near-term, this suggestion seems to miss the point. One of, perhaps the, greatest selling points of Evernote is its self-contained workflow. Personally, I find repetitive context-switching and mode-shifting in workflows to be taxing, and after a fashion, I look to switch to a different workflow altogether. I don't want to pull up a separate text editor to perform elementary text formatting, like line space control. I ought to be able to paste into Evernote and do the full range of basic text reformatting.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Andrew Sundstrom said:

One of, perhaps the, greatest selling points of Evernote is its self-contained workflow. 

I disagree.  To me, a benefit is that I'm not locked in to a single editor.
A note can contain files of any format; word procesing, spreadsheets, images, pdfs ...

>>By default, Evernote line spacing is too "ventilated" for my taste. 

Not really important to me for a basic note.  Definitely a concern for serious word processing documents. 

>>Personally, I find repetitive context-switching and mode-shifting in workflows to be taxing, 

Its easier on Windows/Mac platforms.  A pain in IOS.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Andrew Sundstrom said:

One of, perhaps the, greatest selling points of Evernote is its self-contained workflow

Your mileage obviously varies,  but while Evernote is open on my desktop 24/7,  I also use Outlook / Excel / Freeplane / Lightroom / Word / TickTick / Treepad / Acrobat / Airtable...  Evernote is the index for all my workflows,  but the execution wanders all over the place in terms of other packages.  Some output files are stored as note attachments,  and with others I'll copy/ paste content;  but IMHO Evernote is for taking notes,  not creating a perfect product.

11 hours ago, Andrew Sundstrom said:

understandable frustration of the Evernote user base with respect to this low-hanging fruit

I can understand everyone wanting the option,  and if it were available I'm sure I'd use it;  but this is more about priorities and practicalities - what about the 1001 other requests that Evernote has for styles / colors / collapsing bullets / better tag & link options...  Individually a lot of those things might be reasonably accessible legumes,  but delivering a coherent package probably requires some planning.

Anyway:  none of us are here to say that line spacing is a bad thing,  and shouldn't be available at some time - but as things currently stand,  an external product is what you'd need.

If it helps,  saving a sample of 1.5 or 2 - spaced text as a template should mean that creating another note with the same spacing is only a matter of replacing the boilerplate text.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Your mileage obviously varies,  but while Evernote is open on my desktop 24/7,  I also use Outlook / Excel / Freeplane / Lightroom / Word / TickTick / Treepad / Acrobat / Airtable...  Evernote is the index for all my workflows,  but the execution wanders all over the place in terms of other packages.  Some output files are stored as note attachments,  and with others I'll copy/ paste content;  but IMHO Evernote is for taking notes,  not creating a perfect product.

You and @DTLow make a good point about not being locked into any one editing environment. I agree with you and didn't mean to suggest one ought to be locked in. Rather, when I type out a note, I don't want to have to exit the system by cutting and pasting into another tool, just to do simple formatting. For me, it's a pet peeve, that break in workflow.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

I can understand everyone wanting the option,  and if it were available I'm sure I'd use it;  but this is more about priorities and practicalities - what about the 1001 other requests that Evernote has for styles / colors / collapsing bullets / better tag & link options...  Individually a lot of those things might be reasonably accessible legumes,  but delivering a coherent package probably requires some planning.

Anyway:  none of us are here to say that line spacing is a bad thing,  and shouldn't be available at some time - but as things currently stand,  an external product is what you'd need.

If it helps,  saving a sample of 1.5 or 2 - spaced text as a template should mean that creating another note with the same spacing is only a matter of replacing the boilerplate text.

Another good point. After writing my original comments above, I read some comparative reviews of Evernote (vs OneNote, vs Bear, etc.) and discovered one of the central critiques of Evernote, aside from the rising price of its service, is the feature bloat. Some perceive Evernote tending toward MS Word in the limit of time. While I disagree with this — Evernote to me seems relatively simple, yet powerful and feature-rich — it did sensitize me to the development issues you mention here, namely "the 1001 other requests that Evernote has for...." and the attendant need for practicality and coherence. So point well made.

• Like 1

No, the answer is not 'use an external word processsor'. I copied and pasted some text from a web page to a list in Evernote. The spacing got messed up and I've spent several minutes failing to remove the extra wide line spacing. I just want a simple list and tidying up so it doesn't offend me has wasted lots of time and effort. This is basic formatting and needs to be fixed - not just telling a user that the app shouldn't do that.

This thread seems to mostly be about paragraph spacing so maybe not the right place for this comment, but in the last update I believe (or maybe the one before) I found that the line spacing between 'tickbox' style bullets had increased. I used tickbox bullets a lot, so my notes have all become much longer as a result. I have no idea why, among so many other more urgent/useful fixes that Evernote could have focused on, they would choose to make changes to this. I haven't noticed any changes to normal line spacing, so it wouldn't seem to be an attempt to address user feedback in that area. Just one of the increasing number of frustrating issues I've had with Evernote... 

Totally agree. I still use and pay for Evernote for myself, but I still have to go with OneNote for my team.

While I'm posting (don't want to find individual threads),  From what I've experienced and read, there is no client version of EN that won't ***** up your formatting. Thus the reason I've had to go to the web version only, as I use multiple computers and OSs. True tabs, formatting issues, and ability to set margins must be added for EN to become a serious business tool. Also, keyboard shortcuts for formatting (customizable?) are a must for me.

Max

I'm incredibly surprised that this is still an issue after seeing the original post 5 yrs ago. So this will never be a feature? I guess I need to seek a different program. Incredibly disappointing. I'm starting a doctoral program on Monday and was told this is a good tool to use, however I'm not willing to spend more time on cutting and pasting.

Large paragraph spacing is ruining the readability in my notes. I'm trying to use Ctrl+Space to remove the formatting, but the paragraph spacing won't go away. How difficult can that be to implement? I'm in the middle of transferring notes from OneNote to Evernote, and it is proving to be cumbersome, since I often have to paste notes through Notepad to remove the spacing. I really can't fathom why that this isn't a feature yet ...

Of course I can use Word for superior text formatting, but the notes I take for studying can never be neatly organized with Word files laying around in folders. Since the paragraph spacing is kept when i paste text from other sources, it already proves that the Evernote understands what paragraph spacing is — and it still doesn't have any practical way of removing it!

Because Evernote doesn't support line spacing, I'm stuck to Open Sans font. All other sans font that I like have cluttered lines, killing readability. 

But Open Sans has a issue on Evernote, which is Evernote's really bad printing quality - there's almost no bold. 

I can't understand why the Evernote team doesn't hear its community; this is a REALLY OLD request. 

I love how I can organize all my notes, but it's lacking some fundamental stuff and I can't understand why. 

Woe betide anyone who copies and pastes something from the inernet into a note without doing 'paste and match style'. Your note is buggered forever. You end up with the font you want but 4 lines of blank between each line, or font randomly changing size or going bold. Utter mess, and yes, I am premium. My other gripe is numered bullet points having a mind of their own.. Was Evernote created yesterday? Are we still in beta?

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, mrs jones said:

Was Evernote created yesterday? Are we still in beta?

Hi.  Evernote (I believe) are currently completing a years long project to update all the main clients with new features.  Release date(s) appear expected in the next few months.  The new bells and whistles may or may not fix your formatting issues,  but that project is (it looks like) their number one priority for the time being.  If there are still things missing - or wrong - with the new candidate,  we'll no doubt raise them again - but for the moment I imagine any changes will wait on the new code being released.

• Like 1
Em 07/05/2018 at 12:20, DTLow disse:

You never help and for years you're cluttering this topic. Please stop. 

Line spacing is important. If I didn't want word processing for my notes, I would Simplenote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, Adriano Garcez said:

Line spacing is important.

To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left of the discussion

>> If I didn't want word processing for my notes, I would Simplenote.

They're both useful note editors; I prefer Evernote's enml/html format
Evernote core strength is in note/document storage and organization

I also need support of line spacing in evernote.
I often need to add some spacing after each paragraph, but I can't do it.
It's bad. My texts could be readable more good with line spacing feature.

Hello

I encountered an issue, simply caused by pasting word content: The line spacing was much too big.

I even found a relevant forum entry here as question how to adjust line spacing:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/14513-how-to-change-line-spacing/

Anyhow, this entry is 10 years old and seem, to my surprise still be unresolved.

> So please let me know, if there will be a solution available and when.

Please note: I do know, that I can paste without formatting. But, I want to change line spacing only without loosing the other text attributes.

Many thanks and kind regards,,

Peter Ebenhoch

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ebenhoch said:

I want to change line spacing

As  per the archived articles, the Evernote editor provides basic features, with no support for line spacing

As a Mac user, I can switch to a text editor and edit the underlying html code in the content.enml file

Hello DTLow,

Many thanks for your reply. I know that Evernote does not provide this feature.

> This is the reason why I posted it here as "General Feature Request".

Editing sourcecode is very likely possible with any operating system, but I need a robust tool and no further opportunity to tinker.

Inbetween I found even another forum entry with the same request:

> My conclusion is that there will be no Evernote with this feature.

The same applies to Markdown-support, also a long time request with no implementation:

> Ignoring such basic feature requests over years and decades hurts, because it devaluates the potential for Evernote for many of it's users and true fans.

Kind regards,

Peter Ebenhoch

I see that justified alignment is now available. That is good. But to use Evernote to write and organize university assignments I have to be able to chose the format that assignments must have. Selective line spacing is crucial in that connection. 
This thread started ages ago. Why has nothing happened?

• Level 5
6 minutes ago, KristineK said:

I see that justified alignment is now available. That is good. But to use Evernote to write and organize university assignments I have to be able to chose the format that assignments must have. Selective line spacing is crucial in that connection. 
This thread started ages ago. Why has nothing happened?

Because no program in the world is written following postings in a user forum. EN is based on HTML (like a web site), what makes it good to show content flexibly and on screens of different sizes and orientation. But it is by concept not good for layout.

If you need specific layout capabilities, use a program adequate for this task. Probably Word or Pages should do. You can save the resulting file as an attachment in EN to organize it.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Because no program in the world is written following postings in a user forum. EN is based on HTML (like a web site), what makes it good to show content flexibly and on screens of different sizes and orientation. But it is by concept not good for layout.

If you need specific layout capabilities, use a program adequate for this task. Probably Word or Pages should do. You can save the resulting file as an attachment in EN to organize it.

I don't agree.
Software has always been modified to user requirements in regular releases. 
Different line spacing is quite possible in html.
Having to use word or something similar just to get a different line spacing sort of ruins the point of using evernote altogether. 
Adding this feature should be no big deal if they have good control of their source code. 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, KristineK said:

Different line spacing is quite possible in html.

Indeed it may be - but the source code needs to allow for editing in all recent flavours of iOS/ Android/ MacOS/ Windows - and how about the users who want styles / outline text / colours / notebook hierarchies / text anchors / better note links / skins and about a thousand other variations on presentation and processing?  Evernote has their own development plan,  which they don't (usually) share* - and they are currently completing (hopefully) a major update which might address some of this.

* Although: see the Evernote blog...

40 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Indeed it may be - but the source code needs to allow for editing in all recent flavours of iOS/ Android/ MacOS/ Windows - and how about the users who want styles / outline text / colours / notebook hierarchies / text anchors / better note links / skins and about a thousand other variations on presentation and processing?  Evernote has their own development plan,  which they don't (usually) share* - and they are currently completing (hopefully) a major update which might address some of this.

* Although: see the Evernote blog...

I presume they want customers. A good way to obtain and keep customers is to listen to what they need. Lot of competition out there making people less loyal if requests are not met in a reasonable manner. 
I've stated my needs for the product. I don't see how continuing this comment exchange is doing any good. Have nice day.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It's not really about layout, but about easily reusing the data that you put into EN.

I originally joined because an ad or promo showed someone writing a draft of a blog post, then pasting it in to the blog post editor (wordpress, probably).

You can do that, but if you write the draft in EN you probably have a blank line between each paragraph, just so you can see different paragraphs in EN. After pasting you have to manually remove all those blank lines.

Also, the data pasted in doesn't have a paragraph break, but a line break, so you have either paste in as text only and lose formatting or do more work to change the line breaks to paragraph breaks so the blog post is formatted correctly.

Compare this to text written in this forum, where hitting enter at the end of a line produces a paragraph break (with spacing between paragraphs) that can be copy/pasted to Wordpress, Word, etc. just fine.

I agree this might not be the best way to submit a feature request, so I hope everyone who wants this feature submits one through the official channels.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, KristineK said:

I presume they want customers.

And therein lies the rub.  EN must think other things they are working on are more important in their quest for customers, right or wrong.  It's not personal.  I wish they had hotkeys for reminders, but they don't.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2021, still f*ing nothing, I can't believe this, is it simply out of arrogance or some other petty management related reasons or can SOMEONE please explain the why of this to me. JUST F*ING INTRODUCE LINE SPACING wtf even

• Like 1
  • Level 5
47 minutes ago, aatithyavora said:

2021, still f*ing nothing, I can't believe this, is it simply out of arrogance or some other petty management related reasons or can SOMEONE please explain the why of this to me. JUST F*ING INTRODUCE LINE SPACING wtf even

The last activity on this thread is nearly one year old. Does not seem to be that relevant.

Since you seem to be ignorant of technology and replace this by temper, you may not want to learn that for a design based on HTML adding line spacing is not trivial.

If you need it, use a word processor.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, aatithyavora said:

Rather than just swearing at EN staff (and everybody else for that matter) perhaps you could help pay their salaries. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, aatithyavora said:

please explain the why of this to me

Evernote obviously has other priorities for their product and the integrated note editor   
I use a dedicated word processor app when I need features like line spacing - the documents are stored in Evernote as note file attachments    

Also the development and implementation of such features costs money   
The majority of users are unwilling to fund this

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/7/2023 at 3:50 AM, gitygity said:

Can't imagine that such a basic feature hasn't been added in almost 10 years since the first user asked for it, this is Evernote's biggest SHAME!!👎👎👎

This isn't a request show - Evernote's new owners (who have been in charge for less than 1 year) have other priorities at the moment,  but might revisit this is they think it will help most users.  Personally I prefer a word processor for professional presentations,  since it can do far more styling than Evernote's editor is capable of.

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

This isn't a request show - Evernote's new owners (who have been in charge for less than 1 year) have other priorities at the moment,  but might revisit this is they think it will help most users.  Personally I prefer a word processor for professional presentations,  since it can do far more styling than Evernote's editor is capable of.

It's not about using EN instead of a word processor, but taking notes in EN, then pasting them into a word processor without having to fix the line spacing on everything you paste in. 

• Level 5

When there is no line spacing in what you paste, there is no line spacing that you need to fix.

You can set up and apply a template in the word processor that polishes the appearance of text copied over from EN. This you can do yourself, no programmer needs to write a single line of text.

It is IMHO not necessary to duplicate this ability in EN. What would be sacrificed is more important: The lean editor we have for fast note taking. We don’t need bloated formatting options.

• Level 5

EN does not support it for a reason. Everything is "Basic", and if you add all that basic stuff, you end up with something bloated and complicated, which has nothing to do with basic any more.

An app is not perfect when you can't add anything new - it is perfect when it does exactly what is needed, without any extra features that block the sight and cloak up the UI. EN has refrained in the past from layout tools, and I hope they continue this tenure.

If you want layout capabilities, use a word processor or a page layout software.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

EN does not support it for a reason. Everything is "Basic", and if you add all that basic stuff, you end up with something bloated and complicated, which has nothing to do with basic any more.

An app is not perfect when you can't add anything new - it is perfect when it does exactly what is needed, without any extra features that block the sight and cloak up the UI. EN has refrained in the past from layout tools, and I hope they continue this tenure.

If you want layout capabilities, use a word processor or a page layout software.

I understand that, but they support bold, italics, links, indents, outdents, bullet lists, numbered lists, text colors, font size, mixed fonts, highlighting, and AI right now. Some of those things are not basic.

I just want a paragraph break vs having to hit return twice. Sort of like this forum supports. When I hit return, it puts some space between the two paragraphs.

In EV you have to hit return twice, so repurposing the content elsewhere (like in my word processor) means you usually have to delete all those extra/blank lines.