Evernote for Business: Request Search syntax "CreatedBy" so I can filter to my notes quickly

Paul Davis

Idea

This mostly applies to shared business notebooks. I want to be able to easily look at "my notes" -- the notes I created. It would be very similar to the search attribute "LastEditedBy:" but you could be implemented as "CreatedBy:" search attribute. "CreatedBy" is also similar to the "Author" attribute except it is populated by the web clipper, emailed content, scannable, photos, and so forth.

Interface niceties: 

• Filter on name in Created by string:  the same way you can choose a tag and filter on it with a pull down menu, it would be nice to be able to do the same thing with the name in the "Created by Paul Davis and shared with 10 people"
  • Show a person's notes in their profile: You could show the titles of a person's recent notes in their profile.

Use Cases:

• Here's why I want this feature: We have one notebook for each software product we manage, perhaps 10 shared notebooks all together (so far). I am responsible for writing the specifications for new features for several of our products. Often I have meeting notes, whiteboard photos, and sometimes web clippings that I want to find. The programmers also write lots of notes about the features and they add notes to the my specs (changing the "LastEditedBy" attribute). We're new at this effort and our tagging is not very mature. Being able to filter on notes I created would allow me to eliminate digging through a lot of chaff. It would also let me easily find notes that don't have the author auto populated (pictures, web clippings, emailed content).
  • Also, as we push out the expectation that all working notes will be entered in Evernote to all contractors and members of our team, it would be nice to monitor success by looking at what notes people are creating.

Priority

• These aren't killer features. For the most part, I just have to wade through some extra notes to find the ones I need. Generally I start all notes with a set of note links to related notes so I don't have to dig for them more than once. That said, I was dumbstruck that they weren't there. I can see the "Created By" attribute on my notes, but I can't search on them. 
  • Work arounds:
    • Add note links to related material to each of my notes (this is mostly what I do)
    • Add tags to indicate who created each note manually and use a tag search
    • Better general tagging practices would also solve this problem
    • Enter the author attribute for all content I collect with the web clipper, email submissions, scannable, etc. and use the author: search attribute.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have you seen (and do you have access to) 'Source' as a search term?  In Premium I can search for "source.web.clip" (without the quotes) for all the web clips in my account,  or "source:mail.*" for all the emailed-in notes.  The usual modifiers for dates,  tags,  titles etc can apply.

How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes, I messed with this a bit. It doesn't definitively meet my needs however. If others use the same sources web clipping Author: will be empty and a query on source and Author:* will find them as well. Admittedly, notes of this type are often not edited, so lastEditedBy: will be much more reliable. So I could use source:mobile* Author:* lasteditedby:Paul* and that would work OK but only get's mobile content created by me. 

Doing createdBy:Paul* would be much easier and would allow more options for additional filters like createdby:Paul* label:"Meeting Notes"

As far as I've been able to determine, I can't do precedence management in advanced search like:

Author:Paul* ((any: source:mobile.* source:web.) author:* lasteditedby:paul*)

Based on what I've learned, this would be the best alternative to a createdby: search attribute

Hi Paul

I work with a shared business notebook and a want to be able to search the notes I created.

If I search with the attribute lasteditedby: no founds will returned.

Example: lastEditedBy:Da* -> No matching notes found

Example 2: lastEditedBy:* -> No matching notes found

We use the newest Evernote Version 6.4.2 with the Plus Plan.

Do you have an idea what the Problem is and how to fix this?

Thank you in advance

Dave

Hi Dave,

In the end I'm using Author:Paul* possibly within a notebook Notebook:"PI Dashboard" and/or with a tag Tag:"Meeting Notes"

I just did some exploration and lastEditedBy:Paul* works fine for me. As does lastEditedBy:P* and lastEditedBy:* . I can combine it with the above limits as well.

I'm on the Mac fat client. I haven't tested it in the other clients, but I know the windows client doesn't work exactly the same as the Mac client for some other features. That may explain why you and I get different results.

The articles on advanced search don't mention LastEditedBy and http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php doesn't either so maybe it's not consistantly supported.

Cheers,
-Paul

• Level 5*

Generally lastEditedBy only gets populated if someone other than the owner of a note's notebook creates or changes it.  Otherwise it'll be blank.  It'll also be blank if you're not the owner of the notebook and have only read privileges to it.

Here is the technical documentation of this field from the Evernote API docs, although it's a bit head-spinning:

lastEditedBy

An indication of who made the last change to the note. If you are accessing the note via a shared notebook to which you have modification rights, or if you are the owner of the notebook to which the note belongs, then you have access to the value. In this case, the value will be unset if the owner of the notebook containing the note was the last to make the modification, else it will be a string describing the guest who made the last edit. If you do not have access to this value, it will be left unset. This field is read-only by clients. The server will ignore all values set by clients into this field.

Also note that the Windows client displays this field, Mac and iOS do not.  (I think Android and web clients do not, either, but can't check at the moment.)

Archived