Just received my new Note 7 after upgrading to Evernote Premium

Is there a way for Evernote to take advantage of the S-Pen handwriting recognition feature for text notes?

I was looking forward to being able to use the S-Pen for note taking in Evernote, but there does not seem to be any integration.

Handwriting recognition only works in a text note's Title field. Pen generated content in a text note can be saved as an image in the phone's Gallery app, but is not saved in an Evernote text note. It can only be saved by Evernote as a Handwritten note with no recognition.

• Level 5

See this thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/96200-handwriting-support-with-s-pen-no-longer-working-after-782/. It's a long thread, but the bottom line is that the problem has to do with the Chrome-based editor that Evernote Android now uses: see this post by @Matt W., and my later post with Matt's following reply. And finally, I reported that in the current v. 7.9.4, the newly available quick notes from the notification bar do allow the S Pen to work, not only in the title but in the note area itself. You might try that out as a workaround.

Yes, the pen works in Quicknotes, but Evernote's features are more robust and there's no real integration between Quicknotes and Evernote.

For example, Qucknotes supports bullet and numbered lists, but only on one level.There is no indent or level control.

Then you must save it as a quicknote before sharing it into EN, so you have more steps to take and duplicate storage.

It's a poor work around, even temporarily.

• Level 5
18 hours ago, martyatias@gmail.com said:

Yes, the pen works in Quicknotes, but Evernote's features are more robust and there's no real integration between Quicknotes and Evernote.

For example, Qucknotes supports bullet and numbered lists, but only on one level.There is no indent or level control.

Then you must save it as a quicknote before sharing it into EN, so you have more steps to take and duplicate storage.

It's a poor work around, even temporarily.

We seem to be talking at cross purposes. There is an app called Quick notes, apparently, but that's not what I'm talking about. In Evernote 7.9.4, you can turn on the capability to create a "quick note" from the notification screen. When this is turned on and you pull down the notifications, there is an Evernote elephant icon and the words "Add note"; see the first screenshot below. Tap that, and you get the note dialogue shown in the second screenshot. What you write there is an Evernote note, and is saved to your default Evernote notebook. It is not the Quick notes app.

Unfortunately, it is designed only to create short text notes, and does not have lists or other formatting. So you could create some text quickly there with the S Pen, but you'd have to do serious formatting within Evernote, and without the S Pen. Clearly the situation is not yet ideal.

Picture.png

Image.png

Thanks Dave,

I was indeed referring to Samsung's Note feature and I recognize that you were referring to the EN's quick note, accessible from the notification bar. This compatibility is a small step, since it offers no formatting. I look forward to a quick resolution from the development team for the main EN app, especially since many more of us have just forked over $35.00 plus the cost of the Note handset to use it.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, martyatias@gmail.com said:

Thanks Dave,

I was indeed referring to Samsung's Note feature and I recognize that you were referring to the EN's quick note, accessible from the notification bar. This compatibility is a small step, since it offers no formatting. I look forward to a quick resolution from the development team for the main EN app, especially since many more of us have just forked over $35.00 plus the cost of the Note handset to use it.

I also want to see this sorted soon. However, the implication of the information given through my earlier post here is that the incompatibility is between Samsung's software for the S Pen and the Chrome-based editor used in the Evernote app (but not in the EN quick notes). For non-S Pen devices, presumably there are strengths in the Chrome-based editor that make it worthwhile. For us S Pen users, perhaps we ought to urge Samsung to fix their issue with Chrome. (Not that they don't have other things on their minds just now; glad your Note 7 hasn't exploded on you!)

Archived