Evernote windows OCR recognition

For the first time, I decided to use Evernote OCR coz hey I have bought premium so I should use it.

Scanned a grocery receipt using Evernote android camera. On windows desktop, if I'll search something from that receipt on the main Evernote interface it works fine for some of the terms in that receipt. However, if I open that receipt in its own note window and now do CTRL+ F to search for terms in that window Evernote cannot find anything.

Is the experience similar for you guys as well or I am missing something.

I am really disappointed and frustrated to see that my PDF software has better OCR capabilities than evernote.

• Level 5*

Hi.  The forum has a lot of discussion about OCR differences,  which depend a lot on the quality of the document copy as well as the codebase in use.  Unless a document is already searchable I always OCR my own documents before uploading them because (amongst other things) I know it's done,  the document is searchable immediately and OCR is not ruled out by Evernote's conditions for OCR - which aren't especially onerous,  but do mean that big documents with lots of pages won't get done.

I haven't done a comparison on the efficiency of OCR/ searches between Windows and Android,  but bear in mind that notes aren't stored on your mobile (unless you specifically request that they are).  Notes will be downloaded from the server to Android when you search for them,  along with a search index.  The searches shouldn't be different from online or on your desktop.

If this is an issue for you I'd suggest you sync and uninstall/ restart/ reinstall Evernote,  and if the difference is still there,  contact support to discuss further.  (That's one of the other benefits of Premium!)

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  The forum has a lot of discussion about OCR differences,  which depend a lot on the quality of the document copy as well as the codebase in use.  Unless a document is already searchable I always OCR my own documents before uploading them because (amongst other things) I know it's done,  the document is searchable immediately and OCR is not ruled out by Evernote's conditions for OCR - which aren't especially onerous,  but do mean that big documents with lots of pages won't get done.

I haven't done a comparison on the efficiency of OCR/ searches between Windows and Android,  but bear in mind that notes aren't stored on your mobile (unless you specifically request that they are).  Notes will be downloaded from the server to Android when you search for them,  along with a search index.  The searches shouldn't be different from online or on your desktop.

If this is an issue for you I'd suggest you sync and uninstall/ restart/ reinstall Evernote,  and if the difference is still there,  contact support to discuss further.  (That's one of the other benefits of Premium!)

The document scan is of high quality. It is a typed document output by a billing machine - a grocery receipt.  

I did raise the issue with support and it looks like an actual issue. The document is not searchable in its own note window. But can be searched from the main Evernote interface.

If you don't mind me asking, may I know which software do you use for OCR.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, d0_do said:

If you don't mind me asking, may I know which software do you use for OCR.

I use Adobe - Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner with Acrobat 9.0 as bundled OCR.  (Although if I use the built-in OCR service that's driven by ABBYY..)

Thank You for letting me know gazumped

Finally got a reply from the technical team. They agreed it is an issue with the windows client.

The reply said they would like to implement something like this when they are able to do so and cannot give an estimation to when that will be. :(

Archived