Recurring Reminders

antpugh

Idea

• Level 5*
On 2017-09-14 at 12:28 PM, DanielFrank said:

I currently use the reminders app in IOS but would gladly ditch it so I can continue to use Evernote for everything.

I use the Reminders feature in Evernote (Tasks) but find it's not a replacement for the Apple reminders/calendar apps
I think you'll always find dedicated apps have better featuresets

• Level 5*

Another workaround is to reset the reminder each time, manually.  Not optimal for sure, but for me having everything in one place is worth the squeeze.  I tag each of these notes with !Recur so as it is easy to find them should the need arise.  I have 16 recurring notes, so not that many to cause a lot of pain.  FWIW.

In addition, I have PhraseExpress hotkeys for creating, changing, completing and clearing reminders.  This makes it easy in general to work with reminders.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, csihilling said:

In addition, I have PhraseExpress hotkeys...

Likewise, I could automate  the recurring reminders with scripting on my Mac

There’s also a third part cloud service Filterize  It also used the Recurring tags as a  trigger

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, DanielFrank said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it. I'm just confused because when I look up old videos on youtube from 2013ish. It shows re-occurring reminders. So they go rid of it?

Can you give a link to the videos

afaik   Evernote never implemented a re-occurring reminder feature 

The reminders feature was implemented in 2013 with a single date/time added to a note

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 07/10/2017 at 2:56 PM, DKROGERS said:

Appreciate all the ideas. I just don’t think it would be hard for Evernote to give us the ability for the reminder to reoccur and make it simple for everyone. 

Possibly not 'hard' - no way to tell;  there might be a question of why work on this feature now rather than the other thousand or so requests they already have from other users...

I would like the recurring reminders too. I have a tracking note for my allergy shots and every week, I reset the reminder after I get my shot and I update my log. It would be nice to just have "every monday" as a reminder and not have to change the reminder every time.

It obviously sounds like a "petty" problem but when you see other apps do it all the time, you start to expect it from Evernote as well. I use Todoist, it has this option which is really nice to have.

• Like 2

Why Evernote stands still to this idea? it is so obvious and important, I cannot understand why leave it for competitors, evidently they lack other features that Evernote has, so, at the end of the day, Evernote is close to creating more value and advantage by improving this.  Thanks.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, ERicco said:

it is so obvious and important

To indicate your support for this feature request,  use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

This feature request currently has 6 votes.

• Level 5*

Hi.  It's only possible to repeat such  notes manually within the app - each time one pops up,  change the date to activate the next due time.  'Repeat' is not an Evernote option.  If you receive your Evernote reminders by email,  various email clients have their own built in reminder systems to deal with incoming mails,  and some web services like https://www.followupthen.com/  allow you to forward Evernote emails to that service and receive regular reminders from it.

Most users seem to have a third-party solution - a 'to do' app - that handles repeats as necessary.  Mine's https://ticktick.com/ - I set up tasks,  appointments and reminders there,  but add a note-link back to the details stored in Evernote.

4 hours ago, joseppfit02@gmail.com said:

Hello,

I want to know if is posible to repetat a remainder note.

For example "repeat every week" or "repeat everi monday"

Thanks!

Others have expressed interest in recurring reminders as well, and I am one of them as well.

Until that feature, you can try using TAGS for a similar purpose but you will have to be disciplined enough to run those. You can have a tag called DAILY, or MONDAY and you run those saved searches on those specific times.

I use Todoist for those kind of reminders, it takes "every work week" as an input as you type the task in. So if I wanted to remind myself to check the DAILY tag in Evernote, I would create a task in Todoist to remind me every day to run that search inquiry. This would be another workaround if you are not disciplined to run the tag search.

• Level 5*

I added FollowUpThen to my process to help manage recurring reminders.  FUT sends reminder emails at an appointed date/time as well as on a recurring basis. 

For example I use !Weekly as a tag for notes I want to review weekly.  I have a note titled !Weekly reminder note.  I set up a Monday recurring reminder in FUT so every Monday morning I get an email triggering me to go to my !Weekly tag.  I include a link to the !Weekly reminder note in FUT so I click on the link in the email and then Shift+Click on the caret next to !Weekly when the note opens in EN.  I have a saved view for the !Weekly tag so that is what appears.  May sound more complicated than it actually is.

Full disclosure,  I also have a reminder on the !Weekly reminder note which I change each week after the review.  So I remind myself two ways, the FUT email (a true interrupt) and my Today search.  May be overkill, but....

• Level 5*

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Most users seem to have a third-party solution

I'm an Apple user and use the Calendar/Reminders built into the OS.347781602_ScreenShot2018-05-10at09_24_22.png.d37c4198eb0170576650cc2b34b48fed.png
I like the notifications, device sync, and it allows for repeat reminders.

I do use the Reminders feature in Evernote; I use a script to sync entries to the OS Calendar/Reminders

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Jasp said:

I could have a fresh note for each todo but that stop me from having a clear view of the whole project on the single overview note that I use.

This solution works for me; a master project note 1447239686_ScreenShot2018-06-24at06_13_14.png.c8dcaf8b01dcbf607a8752cc154d7c3b.png
and separate notes for each task.

For the "clear overview"; add todo note links to the master note

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

This solution works for me; a master project note 1447239686_ScreenShot2018-06-24at06_13_14.png.c8dcaf8b01dcbf607a8752cc154d7c3b.png
and separate notes for each task.

For the "clear overview"; add todo note links to the master note

Thanks DTLow - 

Yes, I sometimes link subnotes to a master/overview note (which can have its own Reminder Date); and using the COPY NOTE LINK ⌃ ⌥ ⌘ C shortcut on the target note cuts out some of the mousing which helps. Though often I have heaps of really brief todos (phone someone at a particular time, book rail ticket between two dates, etc) so this is quite an arduous solution for stuff like that. 

Also, maybe just me but I find a notebook full of To Do notes mixed up with, say, reference/info notes, my own notes, slightly overwhelming and need to manually check to make sure I'm on top of things. The notes can only be sequenced by Date, Alphabetic order of Title, not by Reminder Date. So it takes me more than a quick glance to realise I'm on track. Or not. 

I usually keep Notebooks in Stacks, which gives the useful feature of viewing all the Notes with that have Reminder Dates; and these can be dragged around and ticked off when complete. BUT, I've found the feature to be unreliable: some notes with Reminder Dates do not show up in this view. I've sometimes hacked it back into shape by deleting and reseting the Reminder Date; sometimes this has not worked and I've had to copy the contents of the bad note into a brand new note and reset the Reminder Date. There's been an update since this happened and things have been ok. Maybe that's fixed it. 

But that aside, I probably need to get into the habit of keeping separate notebooks for Project ToDos and Project Information and have the master note linked all in one stack. That would do most of the stuff that I want 

Cheers, 

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Jasp said:

But that aside, I probably need to get into the habit of keeping separate notebooks for Project ToDos and Project Information and have the master note linked all in one stack. That would do most of the stuff that I want 

I have minimal notebooks; my primary notebook is called Filing

I use tags to identify my Projects, Master Notes, Tasks, ...

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, giggs said:

Any update on this? I appears this simple feature is still lacking! When can Evernote provide this feature?

No update.  

Evernote provides a basic reminder feature; a single due date and completion date.  
They have not indicated an interest in expanding beyond this.

• Level 5*
On 12/15/2018 at 10:59 AM, Zoeb Abbas said:

Can you please add a default Calendar Notebook just for Reminder functionality that can hold the recurring reminders as well. 

Please provide details on the "default Calendar Notebook".  It would be better to post this as a separate request.

I’d like to see reminders as a first class feature baked in Evernote similar to how this new competitor is going about it:

”Glad you asked, this is an area we've very passionate about! We've probably spent half of our development time building todo list features. Our todo lists currently support:
• Fixed recurring todos (e.g., every Thursday at 8pm)
• Snooze / Hide item from list for X time
• Relative recurring todos (e.g., whenever I call grandma, remind me to call her again a month from now)
• Time estimation: optional means to assist Amplenote in estimating priority of task
• Important/urgent designation: optional means to assist Amplenote in estimating priority of task
• "Todo trash" = whenever you finish an item, it's automatically moved to bottom of note, and grouped by day so you can quickly see how much you got done on a per-day or per-week basis

Native reminders are a feature we already have in our UI, but it's not enabled yet. Probably late this month or early January for reminders.”

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, bounce said:

I’d like to see reminders as a first class feature baked in Evernote

You're welcome to add your vote to the request; voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion.

Personally, I accept that Evernote has provided a basic Reminder feature and make use of it.
For "first class feature", I switch to dedicated apps (Apple Reminders on my Mac and iPad)

(The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails)

>>Snooze / Hide item from list for X time

My practice is to reassign the reminder date

>>Time estimation: optional means to assist Amplenote in estimating priority of task
>>Important/urgent designation: optional means to assist Amplenote in estimating priority of task

Priority is more of a task management item.
I have the same issue.  I generate my to-do list with a saved search, but there is no priority sequence ( search: reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*)
I sort by title sequence, and actual tasks are at the top of the list; tasks are prefixed with +; next actions by ++.  I'm still left with a list of 30 items.

>>but it's not enabled yet. Probably late this month or early January for reminders.”

aka "vapourware"?  😊

• Level 5*
On 12/30/2018 at 6:23 AM, Addis Geordie said:

Great idea. Evernote - when is it coming?

Evernote has not indicated an interest in expanding the Reminders features.

16 hours ago, Analyst444 said:

I use Apple's Reminder app on my iPhone. It handles recurring tasks / events. Works great.

I'm also an Apple Reminder user for recurring reminders.
I use Apple Calendar for all events.

If appropriate, I add a link to a note in Evernote.
Sometimes the event originates in Evernote.  I have a script (Mac) to generate the calendar entry

• Like 1

Please implement recurring reminders.  One of the reasons I use Evernote is its platform and employer independence.  In other words, I may change employers or my employer may change its collaboration software, say Outlook vs. Google vs. Apple.  I'd like to keep reminders of membership, professional license, and vehicle registration renewals in Evernote.

How and where do you vote? Recurring reminders are important to me.

Mind you, so are a. altering the reminder date on multiple notes simultaneously and b. working out how to change the default time (hh:mm) for reminders - currently set at 8:00 as far as I can see but I would prefer 5:00

Point is if there is a voting mechanism I want to know how to participate and keep an eye on how the votes are all going.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Addis Geordie said:

How and where do you vote? Recurring reminders are important to me.

Top left corner of the discussion    267864943_ScreenShot2019-01-23at06_44_41.png.76e1cedf8adb3e6698bb72d0fa3324fa.png

>>a. altering the reminder date on multiple notes simultaneously and b. working out how to change the default time (hh:mm) for reminders - currently set at 8:00 as far as I can see but I would prefer 5:00

I use scripting (Mac)

On 1/23/2019 at 5:46 PM, DTLow said:

Top left corner of the discussion    267864943_ScreenShot2019-01-23at06_44_41.png.76e1cedf8adb3e6698bb72d0fa3324fa.png

>>a. altering the reminder date on multiple notes simultaneously and b. working out how to change the default time (hh:mm) for reminders - currently set at 8:00 as far as I can see but I would prefer 5:00

I use scripting (Mac)

Thank you for your response.  I am a total newb in this area.  Don't have a desktop mac but alternate between my windows desktop, my ipad and (very occasionally) my android phone when using Evernote. Have searched for script on this forum and EN help to little avail.  Could you point me in the right direction?  

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Addis Geordie said:

Have searched for script on this forum and EN help to little avail.  Could you point me in the right direction?  

Sorry, I can only advise on the Mac platform and scripting with Applescript.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, stocky2605 said:

filterize.net if you‘re fine with 3rd party services (and pay them) - there is an automation available for recurring reminders.

Filterize is a great service, with various automation features.

If you're using a Mac, you can accomplish the same reminder reset with scripting (Applescript)

I already moved my reminders into Google Keep with full integration with Google Calendar

I still use Evernote for NOTES, not reminders

The main reason I moved my to dos onto Keep it was the fact they can provide the recurring reminders.

But I also understand that Evernote wants to be a note taking app, not a reminder app... so I can live with that 

• Level 5*
On 3/26/2019 at 11:51 AM, guravid said:

First thing I'll use it for is daily checklists.

I have daily tasks listed on the template for my daily journal, but this doesn't address the second day, week, ...

A work-around is the Filterize service; I use scripting on my Mac.  This process reviews completed reminders and resets the date if tagged as recurring.

• Like 1

This feature of recurring reminder is so important taking into account the EverBetter program and new templates, like habit tracking 

all of these without recurring reminders make no sense 

that could be a premium feature if was the case of high developing investment 

• Like 2

Till the time Evernote people aren't helping us by adding this, a simple solution is to setup a recurring reminder in your Google Calendar (which I suppose everyone might be using if you dare to plan your stuff on Evernote) which reminds you to check your 'x' notes daily.

Isn't it a simple solution.

But this doesn't mean we don't want the recurring reminders in Evernote. :)

Cheers

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Tushar Girotra said:

a simple solution is to setup a recurring reminder in your Google Calendar  (which I suppose everyone might be using ...

Apple user here - I can use Apple Reminders
I use Apple Calendar for actual events

For recurring reminders, I still prefer the Filterize integration or applescript

I would like to add to this thread about Recurring reminders.  I currently use Google Tasks for reminding me of clients who have contracts coming due.  The information about the client's contract is in Evernote though. I'd love to be able to set a yearly reminder right in Evernote so I don't have to use any other program.  

• Level 5*
On 10/18/2019 at 8:50 AM, Husky Logic said:

I'd love to be able to set a yearly reminder right in Evernote so I don't have to use any other program.  

3 hours ago, reti said:

I agree. I need recurrent reminder too!

To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

My work-around solution for recurring reminders starts with identifying notes as actionable and recurring   
I use tags: Actionable,      
                    ActionableRecurring, ActionableRecurring-Day7, ActionableRecurring-Day14, ...          
                                                           ActionableRecurring-Month1,...
                                                           ActionableRecurring-Year1,...

To automate the reminder reset, I use an applescript on my Mac    
another option is third party Filterize

Is it possible to set up a reminder for a note that once completed then resets to a repeating date?

Whether daily, weekly, monthly etc?

This would be really useful when sharing reminders and notes to have regular updates added into one note, rather than multiple notes.

• Level 5

No .....

Reminders are currently just that, one time reminders. If you search the forum, you will find plenty about it. Requests, discussion, how to work around it etc. Personally I share links from EN into Things 3, my task manager, and handle reminders there. It has all features needed. One click on the link will open the note.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, MeBo said:

Is it possible to set up a reminder for a note that once completed then resets to a repeating date?

I merged your post with an existing discussion on recurring reminders.   
You might want to look at my post above your post

I'd like the Evernote decision makers to accept the following constructive criticism and sort this out ASAP.

I'll start by getting straight to the point. As a brand new user, No thanks for wasting my time with your product I will never get back. Over a feature called recurring reminders which I can see exasperated customers have been asking for - not days, not months, but years!

The background story as to how I arrived at Evernote is as follows. My laptop has stopped working. What with current Covid-19 restrictions, I am unable to purchase the laptop I require due to out-of-stock/long-delivery-times. Although a current user of Microsoft To-Do, I'm currently using my Amazon Fire tablet as much as possible vs my mobile phone as I prefer the larger screen. Microsoft To-Do is not available on the Fire. So, I searched to see what was available, and was about to switch to Evernote and would have subscribed to the premium version as I was loving what I saw. Then I tried to add a recurring reminder (To-Do list) but couldn't. So, as a new user I looked this up and came upon this link and read on. More time wasted registering for this forum and wasting more of my time writing this message. I cannot believe Evernote you are still procrastinating and wasting customers time over this.

Prior to this I used Google Keep which is a tragic piece of software, hence the move to Microsoft To-Do. What a missed opportunity not just for me, but for existing, lapsed and new customers who need this feature but like me will now take their leave. Should you decide to end this madness please email me to advise and I will continue from where I was brought to an abrupt halt.I

Yours still puzzled at Evernote's business strategy.

Edited by Birsealmighty
Changed word appointment to reminder
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Henry M Carvalho said:

until then,  I am using To Do from Microsoft 

I manage tasks using Evernote features    
Recurring reminders can be implemented using third party Filterize; I use applescript on my Mac

• Level 5*

On 4/26/2020 at 2:18 PM, Birsealmighty said:

Yours still puzzled at Evernote's business strategy.

I can't tell you what Evernote's business strategy is, but my any measure, they've achieved a pretty good market share in the note-keeping/taking market.

As far as I can tell, Evernote is most commonly used for collecting and organizing disparate sorts of information. It's great for research, record keeping, and many other related uses. As you found out, its tools for to-do list activities are on the light side -- in fairness, they've never advertised themselves as a dedicated to-do list application, and that's pretty clearly not been their business strategy. I use Evernote's reminders for light to-do stuff at home; for the real thing at work, we use dedicated software for that (though Evernote still plays a pretty good-sized part of my day-to-day).

So OK, you expended some energy figuring that out; that's pretty much what you have to do when looking for tools of any kind, software or hardware. And sure, a recurring reminders facility is a longstanding request, one of a fair number; many software companies have a significant backlog of feature requests, and they, like Evernote prioritize on things like level-of-effort, fit for their customers, and their own vision for what Evernote should be. Companies have limited resources, and must choose how to use them. Sometimes they're smart about it, sometimes not.

Moral of the story: you were looking for a tool that solved your need for recurring reminders. You expended a some effort and found out that Evernote was not that tool. Sorry that you feel like you wasted your time, but it also feels as though you let your own expectations override actual facts. As far as wasting time registering for the forum and writing a post here, you chose to do that. I'm puzzled as to why you even bothered.

i love the reminders, however I feel like this feature needs to be expanded. I was so excited to find reminders in evernote, but I would really find them more useful if they could be repeated. For example, I work with SEO. I have an analytics report saved, but would like to be automatically reminded every 2 weeks to run the report again and update the contents of the note.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, ETep0715 said:

i love the reminders, however I feel like this feature needs to be expanded.

I merged your request with an existing discussion on this topic
To indicate your support. use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

I tried Filterize and didn't like it, so I wrote my own. This solution depends on Mac Automation. Mobile users with a Mac can benefit if you leave it running.

This script accepts natural language tags in a variety of formats that begin with "repeat". Yes, these are actual tag names.

• "repeat every 3 days"
  • "repeat Tuesday"
  • "repeat monthly"
  • "repeat daily at 5pm"
  • "repeat 2 weeks"
  • "repeat every Wed"
  • "repeat yearly"
  • "repeat every 3 months 8AM"
  • "repeat July 4"
  • "repeat Feb 17th at 8:30pm"

When it detects a note with a repeat tag and a completed reminder, it automatically resets the reminder time to the date specified.

EDIT: I updated script to support multiple recurrences. It picks the earliest one found. You could use ["repeat Mon", "repeat Wed", "repeat Fri"] to make a M/W/F repeating schedule. Or you could use ["repeat 1st", "repeat 16th"] to setup a bi-monthly schedule.

I set mine up to run via cron every minute. It acts similar to Filterize, but this is FREE.

crontab -e

* * * * * osascript $HOME/Library/Scripts/Evernote-recurring.scpt

Feedback welcome.

Evernote-recurring.scpt

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 6/30/2020 at 9:17 PM, adkisson said:

This solution depends on Mac Automation... script ... I set mine up to run via cron every minute.

Thanks for sharing the script
I also use Mac scripts for recurring reminders

I'm not sure about the impact of running every minute on my antique Mac Mini
Instead, I run my script when required to mark reminders as complete
- handles simple reminders and recurring reminders
- includes a "repeat ?" tag for recurrences that can't be computed
- appends a "Completed - date/time" line to the note contents

A benefit of running on-demand, is it allows for a dialog on completion date/time, and new reminder date/time     
I realize this restricts the use to a Mac computer

>>When it detects a note with a repeat tag and a completed reminder, it automatically resets the reminder time to the date specified.

I see you're using search     tag:repeat* reminderDoneTime:*
I use a similar search to ensure recurring reminders are reset

>>run via cron

I use the periodic trigger feature in Keyboard Maestro 

I came across to this page while looking how to set a repeating reminder. I read the very first message a few times. I am still shocked that how this sort of feature is not there despite requests backing to 2013. This is a fundamental thing for a note taking app.

• Thanks 1

And here it is, eight years after the original post that started this thread, and we're STILL waiting for recurring reminders. It seems like the implementation of tasks would have been the perfect time to add it - I think I use more recurring tasks in my life than I do nonrecurring ones.

• Level 5

Reminders were not even touched when tasks were implemented.

These are two completely separate features. It might even happen that tasks get a recurring function - and reminders won’t.

Let us hope both will get that feature.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Anybody can define any request as „essential“. If essential, the EN app would be dead in the waters of the software industry by long - in fact it is alive and kicking.

So let us just say „recurring reminders would add a lot of value to reminders and tasks“, vote the thread up and hope for the best.

To bring your view to the attention of EN PM, you can use the feedback function in addition.

• Like 1