Recurring Reminders

antpugh

Idea

Well I didn't think too much about this, it's just an alternative for people who already use Ifttt recipes.

But there are maybe some differences to take care about.

- In gMail you can only set 20 filters to forwarding mails / you can copy Ifttt recipes and change searched terms as you want

- with recipes you can email up to 5 adress at once (your EN mail included)

- gmail process is more reliable  and ponctual (ifttt recipe fires within 15min of starting time)

Well I didn't think too much about this, it's just an alternative for people who already use Ifttt recipes.

But there are maybe some differences to take care about.

- In gMail you can only set 20 filters to forwarding mails / you can copy Ifttt recipes and change searched terms as you want

- with recipes you can email up to 5 adress at once (your EN mail included)

- gmail process is more reliable  and ponctual (ifttt recipe fires within 15min of starting time)

OK understood. You will only need one filter in Gmail wich forwards all emails from calendar-notification@google.com

to the Evernote address. But anyways good to have an alternative.

Can you give an Example for lets say an recurring event.

A screenshot would be fine, what someone has to paste into the fields.

I don't really clearly understood the IFTTT thing I guess.

For example for a recurring event like this.

Newsletter !tomorrow @Office #marketing

A step by step explanation would be cool, like I have done it before.

Thank you.

OK understood. You will only need one filter in Gmail wich forwards all emails from calendar-notification@google.com

to the Evernote address.

This filter will forward all mail incoming from calendar-notification. It needs to be more accurate.

Furthermore, people may use gmail forward-filters for some other process...

Can you give an Example for lets say an recurring event.

A screenshot would be fine, what someone has to paste into the fields.

I don't really clearly understood the IFTTT thing I guess.

For example for a recurring event like this.

Newsletter !tomorrow @Office #marketing

A step by step explanation would be cool, like I have done it before.

Thank you.

(you have to activate your calendar and evernote channels before this)

In calendar : Create your recurring event like you do.

You can add a specific keyword in description that will triggers the ifttt recipe. However it's optional, you can use a word from the event title for this.

In Ifttt, go to the recipe page https://ifttt.com/recipes/175306-send-an-event-tagged-in-evernote-via-gmail

I think the recipe is clear enought but here is a screenshot with details

ScreenClip.png?resizeSmall&width=832

• Level 5*

If you’re a Windows user, you can now have recurring reminders in Evernote, via TuskTools Calendar.  See this forum post for more information.

TuskTools Calendar has many other features; you can take advantage of any or all of them, or you can just use the new recurring reminder functionality on its own.

Srsly.  This is the second time I've downloaded and attempted to use Evernote.  But what I really need is a "To Do" list with more detail.  Frankly, I get better functionality for that with Wunderlist.  Why would I convert everything to Evernote if they can't figure out this very basic feature?

A "To Do" list with the ability to recur tasks would be awesome.  In Evernote, it would seem that I could add so much detail to tasks.  Seems like a no brainer and very simple thing to add.

Let me know when you do, I'll probably be a premium member at that point.  The app then becomes worth it.  Right now, it isn't.

This post is *not* aimed at anyone in particular, so please do not take it personally. It's just me blowing off some steam in a response to a number of posts I've seen around the forum boards lately.

It's not that Evernote *can't* do recurring reminders, it's just that for whatever reason, they haven't. At least not yet, anyway. As has been repeatedly stated, Evernote is a digital data storage program. Despite all the additions to what they started with, EN's core mission remains the same as the day they opened for business.

I am one of those users who would love for EN to be my "every digital need, desire and whim" kind of software, but I don't think they or any other program is every going to fulfill such a dream. EN is growing at an astonishing rate, they still have no where near the power or resources of industry giants like Facebook, Microsoft or Google, yet they still put a much higher priority into protecting our data and treating us all - paying *and free* users - more like human beings than the faceless cash cows so many other large businesses and corporations seem to consider their customers to be.

If recurring reminders are a really big deal for you ("you" in a generic sense) are a number of Evernote compatible apps, both free and paid, available at the EN App Centre. I strongly encourage you to take a look:

http://appcenter.evernote.com/apps/

If none seem agreeable to you, there are a number of completely free alternatives to Evernote on the market. I can't say I've come across any as well established, or as accomodating to their free users, but they do exist.

In fact new ones seem to pop-up every few weeks. Of course a fair number also seem to go under or get swallowed up by the big internet shar..er, players, almost as fast...

I'm sorry, but I just gotta say it... I truly don't understand why people get so worked up about what they see as " crucial missing features" in products they use, yet don't pay a single penny for! (Hence the disclaimer at the start of this post.)

Where does this concept of "I want it, ergo I *should* have it!" even come from? Do you work for free? Would you give away your time, effort and resources just because someone else insists they deserve it? Even if whatever they wanted is "easy" and cost you little, if anything, I bet you'd be a bit put out that someone had the audacity to assume such a thing about you.

Look, I'm currently a free user too, but will not remain so the moment I can squeeze a few bucks out of my budget. In the past, I've paid a lot more for a lot less, so in the meantime, I'm just grateful that I have access to what fast has become a very important tool in in my life.

On the upside, EN reminders themselves haven't been available on all clients for all that long, so who knows, recurring ones could be just around the corner! Or perhaps a nice new sock print is nearing it's debut...

• Like 2

@Wordsgood - I agree entirely, a simple solution is for people to use a diary if recurring reminders are that important. I use Evernote for practically everything but for some things such as managing future appointments etc. etc. a diary is the perfect tool.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

One way to have a recurring reminder is to reset the date after the completing the current occurrence.  Add 8/1 to your note, change it to 9/1 when you have recurred on 8/1.  Tag it with "Recur" if you like so you can find them all.  

Perhaps not as elegant as some stand alone solutions, but works within EN, keeps all your stuff in one place (one version of the truth always being best, in my eyes anyway), and has you ready should EN ever add recurring reminders.  FWIW. 

• Like 2

+1 Would be great.

Is it now already possible to store a search as a link like it is implemented with the notes ?

Then I would be able to have an pop up reminder on my phone with a search link in it.

I klick it and get all notes taged with ToDo, now, important.

And that with each reminder possibility a normal smartphone calender has. E.g. daily, monthly, every tuesday and so on.

Would be not a workaround just a usefull integration.

regards PHi

Ah, here's the thing though. Evernote does not claim to be a To Do app. Their stated goal is to be a way to collect and store digital data.

I've personally found the best way to deal with appointments and tasks is to use an app dedicated to such a function. If you wish to keep everything connected (so to speak) in an Evernote framework, then your best bet at this point is to get one of the 3rd Party apps offered through their app center.

All to-do app have the possibility to introduce reminders...Evernote no (°!°)

• Like 1

I used the repeat functionality in RTM for a while, but couldn't get used two double notifications. I have settled to not click/tap "Done" in Evernote, but just change the due date to the next occurrence. Often I just put "Repeat every week on Sunday" or similar as first line in the note. Surprisingly this works fine for me.

I use EN for everything. And I LOVE it. But I fight with it on my Todos. There's tons of good ToDo apps out there - AnyDo, Wunderlist, and tons of lesser-knowns. Why doesn't EN just buy one and integrate it? Or really open their API up to these other ToDo appps? Why won't EN add real todos? Why won't they add recurring due dates? I am BAFFLED by this. I don't need Evernote cufflinks and socks. I need a ToDo function.

I use EN for everything. And I LOVE it. But I fight with it on my Todos. There's tons of good ToDo apps out there - AnyDo, Wunderlist, and tons of lesser-knowns. Why doesn't EN just buy one and integrate it? Or really open their API up to these other ToDo appps? Why won't EN add real todos? Why won't they add recurring due dates? I am BAFFLED by this. I don't need Evernote cufflinks and socks. I need a ToDo function.

I totally hear what you're saying... that's why it takes quite a lot of tinkering to wangle a full-on task management solution out of Evernote.

Here is one of a couple of posts I made to that effect (using the reminder list): 

http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2014/10/16/kanban-calendar-evernote-series-2-of-5

Also, worth noting, the system I propose is quite an unusual one, and at the same time does away with the necessity of recurring due dates (looking at the "Kanban Calendar" system dynamics in any app, really). However, it is not for everyone - and in that sense, recurring reminders/ due dates  in Evernote is sorely absent for many users.

Evernote is in a sort of catch-22 predicament here when it comes to revamping task management in-app... for the simple fact that they would be disenfranchising hoards of 3rd-party to-do app developers who have built their platforms almost entirely on Evernote. Not to mention the goodwill they have built up over the years in conjunction with their open API and the Evernote Devcup they host every year. They would undermine a lot of hard work. In that sense, Evernote cannot have their cake and eat it. Something would have to give. 

A few examples: Gneo, Sunrise, Swipes, Card desk, Tusktools

• Like 1

Evernote's API is already available to anyone who wants to integrate (https://dev.evernote.com/). They push it pretty aggressively, too: developer's conferences, advertising on the Evernote Market. And it's the same API that Evernote uses for its clients, as well.

I am amazed at how few apps use it. If my Todos in Evernote could flow out into a ToDo app and easily show due dates etc, I would be so happy. 

• Like 1

Evernote's API is already available to anyone who wants to integrate (https://dev.evernote.com/). They push it pretty aggressively, too: developer's conferences, advertising on the Evernote Market. And it's the same API that Evernote uses for its clients, as well.

I am amazed at how few apps use it. If my Todos in Evernote could flow out into a ToDo app and easily show due dates etc, I would be so happy. 

Then you're about to get happy, @dplosk ;)

I'd recommend you take a look at some existing 3rd-party apps... Some very cool options out there already!

• Level 5*

Frankly, I don't think that Evernote had any intention of being a full-fledged to-do application, either by developing it themselves or by acquisition. It's not really what they do, and they don't seem to want to compete in that space. They eventually added reminders as a simple feature which integrates in with their existing system & search (a reminder *is* a note, remember), and that they gauged would work for some significant portion of their users, and left it at that, at least for now.

• Like 2

Frankly, I don't think that Evernote had any intention of being a full-fledged to-do application, either by developing it themselves or by acquisition. It's not really what they do, and they don't seem to want to compete in that space. They eventually added reminders as a simple feature which integrates in with their existing system & search (a reminder *is* a note, remember), and that they gauged would work for some significant portion of their users, and left it at that, at least for now.

You're absolutely spot on there. That's what I've picked up all along... and Evernote have expressed as much... but, what with the new Work Space vision and all, how do they expect people to warm to using Work Chat to collaborate on documents and another app to manage tasks (multiple apps), when many great apps out there already provide a great mashup of task/ project/ document collaboration and an accompanying dialogue facility?

In terms of Work Chat, it seems like they're a little late to the party... unless they're banking on (1) the vast majority of users being comfortable with managing multiple platforms (to manage tasks externally), (2) a significant portion of the documents being collaborated on already existing in Evernote - especially notes created in Evernote - and together with that - (3) users making use of presentation mode in team meetings, (4) users being significantly invested in the work space as it relates to Evernote Business and/or "Contexts" to surface and expand upon ideas, etc.   

Come to think of it, these are sufficient draw cards alone.. but I see the lack of a fully-integrated task-management solution in-app - quite a large hurdle for many who already have the type of communication that Work Chat offers plus a to-do facility combined - even if users did see the light and took advantage of how all of Evernote's services are now lining up with the new work space vision (Penultimate included).

Of course, I'm speaking from the perspective of Evernote's  new vision. If we're simply taking about the Evernote we'd come to know and love, I personally have no need for task management in-app. I think that Work Chat is going to present a challenge for Evernote to promote without some of the missing puzzle pieces. Without a dedicated to-do integration, it's going to be a tug-of-war with no clear winner.

• Level 5*

For people in business already using Evernote, Work Chat may be a natural extension of what made them choose Evernote in the first place. If the features that made Evernote appealing in the first place -- great clipping, document capturing, no-muss storage, organization and retrieval -- remain, then I don't see the problem; it's just a more collaborative knowledge sharing environment. Maybe eventually, beyond that, they'll see (and meet) the need for more advanced task management in that new direction, but that's not what they're talking about now.

• Like 1

Yes, you're right... seen as a natural extension for those already using Evernote for business, Work Chat sure does makes sense. Plus, specifically Evernote Business users are kind of locked in anyways. Maybe it's simpler than I was thinking.

There are many people using Evernote for (small) business intuitively, without the actual Evernote Business setup. If Evernote is counting on the Evernote Business part of things expanding, and Work Chat were simply a betterment of the service to them, it's looking good. But I'd venture to say that there are many business-oriented people out there (using Evernote for their own use cases) who have no use for Work Chat, simply because they've been working with other similarly competent apps/ software all along. It's not easy to convince anyone to move over to a different collaboration platform if they already have an equivalent productivity system in place. I'm saying this from my extensive, albeit finite knowledge of task-management and/or collaboration apps/ tools. For those who've got their feelers out, no doubt they've come across and tinkered with dozens of such apps as a matter of course.  

Just to clarify, I'm not one of those pushing for fully-fledged task-management in Evernote. I personally don't see that as helpful... but I see it as a missing ingredient if they were to try and go head to head with project/ document collaboration tools already out there. 

For me, personally, I see Work Chat as a possible extension to the notebooks/ notes I want to share... only with those who I know have an Evernote account. 

I thought perhaps they were trying to tap into a whole new market. It's all about one's perspective. I totally get what you were saying about existing users using Evernote for business.

• Level 5*

IMO, ToDo's, or task management, fit right in with the new Evernote vision of making Evernote the workspace you stay in all day.

To manage our work, our day, to get things done, we all need some type of task management to identify, prioritize, and remind us of the work remaining to be done.  If you want me to stay in Evernote all day, then you need to provide me with some serious task management tools, including Due Date.  Reminders are nice, but don't even come close to real task management.

• Like 2

IMO, ToDo's, or task management, fit right in with the new Evernote vision of making Evernote the workspace you stay in all day.

Exactly. EN is not my brain if I need a calendar and a ToDo app too. Frankly I'd pay for an upgrade if it meant Integrated calendar and/or ToDo functions. Yes there are some API connections out there - GNEO, MYND etc. but none work great. Sunrise isn't bad, but still very limited. I won't pay for more upload space, but I will pay for these features. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

that doesn't work for me it will only work when en incorporate recurring reminders, i don't know why they haven't yet it should be simple as they already have it set up for 1 remidner why not multiple?

It's their party,  Evernote get to choose the music.  If it's not available yet I'd guess it's part of a bigger plan that we don't know about,  or its not as easy as it looks.  If you're up for using any external software at all,  try some of the 'to-do' apps that integrate with Evernote.  I use TickTick.

BASED ON THE RESPONSES RECEIVED THUS FAR, THE ANSWER IS "NO". I've subscribed to a CRM - Insightly.

Thnx to those who have participated here!

I am attempting to use Evernote as Contact Management System or as a Contact Relationship Manager (CRM) for my real estate business. So far, so good! If I could add a recurring reminder while also using the reminders for a single (one-off) reminder at the same time, that would be so amazing. There may already be a way of doing this, and if there is, please point me in the right direction. I tend to use Evernote on my iPad about 90 percent of the time. Thank you Sam Soukas

• Level 5*

Evernote does NOT support recurring reminders.  This is just one of the many limitations of Evernote in trying to use it for CRM.

If you've already got a system for Contact Management and/or CRM in Evernote that is working well for you, then I congratulate you!

While this can be done, and has been done, Evernote was not designed for these use cases, and, as a result, lacks most of the basic features needed to carry out these activities.  You can review what others have done and said on using Evernote for this by doing a Google on "evernote contact management", "evernote crm", and similar search terms.

Evernote is a great tool for supporting these systems, for doing research, recording interviews, phone calls, etc.  Just not the basic functions.  If you've ever used a dedicated CRM system, you know how easy it is to enter customers, record a standard set of info about them, and have many automatically related records about contacts, events, sales, follow-ups, etc that is accessible by all members of the sales and management team.  You will really have to work to manually create these links in Evernote.  Most salesmen I have known don't have the patience (or interest) for this.

Good luck in whatever approach you choose.

• Level 5*

If you do decide to keep this in EN,, a workaround that I use is to tag the note with !Recur in addition to adding a reminder date.  Then when I search the tag !Recur I get all of the recurring reminders.  After I review/modify the note I change the reminder date, if need be.  

To be clear, my recurring reminder needs may be minimal compared to yours so this may not be the best solution for you.  I accept the workaround since I like to have all of my stuff in one place.  FWIW.

"Evernote does NOT support recurring reminders."

But the CEO, Phil Libin, promised that Evernote would support recurring reminders back in 09/13: http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2013/09/25/evernote-ceo-more-ios7-updates-fitness-features-recurring-reminders-on-the-way/.  Or perhaps he was misquoted.

He also made other promises that have failed to materialize: www.pcworld.com/article/2084260/evernote-promises-to-fix-bugs-after-writers-detailed-critique.html.

Evernote does NOT support recurring reminders. 

And does this feature planned? For what this limitation was made?

Evernote barely ever tells what's in the making. Hopefully Evernote reminders get an update soon, but from what I've heard/read I wouldn't count on improved reminders in the nearest future. We can only hope: I'm a big fan of reminders and hope they get more useful too.

• Level 5*

IMO, what we really need is REAL Due Dates, and you can add to that recurring Due Dates.

Reminders in Evernote should, but do not, work just like in MS Outlook -- a reminder occurs sometime AHEAD of a Due Date.

I think this is a pretty common approach with most calendar apps, and other apps that track Due Dates.

Why Evernote chose to deviate from this well-known, common model is a mystery to me.

• Like 1

I want to thank all of you who responded to this post.

It seems that many CRMs are able to connect themselves to Evernote so that it becomes a repository for your notes. I've subscribed to

INSIGHTLY and it seems simple to use. So I'll stop worrying about Evernote and whether I can turn it into a CRM.

So let's just say....case closed. And I'll close this thread.

Thanks again everyone!

Sam Soukas

Sales Representative

SAGE Real Estate Ltd., Toronto

I use Evernote for all my notes and love it!

I take medicines every day and want to have a daily repeating task list for the meds I take where I can check off each time I take a med and then have a new list appear each day.

I don't need to have untaken meds 'roll over' or anything.  Just a simple repeating task list that I can check off.

What would be the cleanest / most efficient way of setting this up in Evernote?

1. Have a note template and duplicate that each day at the time you've checked off your current list. Set reminders accordingly....

Note%20template.PNG?dl=1

2. Or recycle the same note, resetting the reminder for the next day:

• At the top of the note keep a list of checkbox items for individual meds.
  • Below a separator, have one checkbox for each consecutive day.
    • Check these off one day at a time as you've cycled through today's meds
  • Select all the items in the list above the separator and uncheck them all at once, ready for the next day.

uncheck%20all.PNG?dl=1

3. Or... set up a table with multiple columns and rows. The first column would be a list of meds. The second column would include checkboxes for day 1. The third column would include checkboxes for day 2... etc. Check off each day's checkboxes and reset the reminder accordingly.

Meds.PNG?dl=1

• Like 7
  • Level 5*

I use Evernote for all my notes and love it!

I take medicines every day and want to have a daily repeating task list for the meds I take where I can check off each time I take a med and then have a new list appear each day.

I don't need to have untaken meds 'roll over' or anything.  Just a simple repeating task list that I can check off.

What would be the cleanest / most efficient way of setting this up in Evernote?

EvNoteFan,

As others have shown above, there are a variety of ways to address your need in Evernote, although I would call all of them work-arounds. (the authors might disagree  :) )

For something as important as reminding you to take your daily meds, and confirm it, I would think there are much better dedicated apps for smartphones to do this.  I don't really know, so treat this as an idea, possible solution.  But with the big emphasis that Apple has put on health, I would be very surprised if there were not some really good iOS apps that would serve you well.

Good luck.  Whatever solution you choose, I hope it works well for you.

• Like 1

...the authors might disagree...

I disagree with this statement  :P

I use my own tailor-made system in WorkFlowy in tandem with iOS reminders. You can't beat recurring reminders at specific times/ locations... plus one can dictate your reminders whether on iPhone or Android no matter where you are on your phone: "Remind me to take my meds at midday".

• Like 2

The table with columns & rows is perfect!  Yes!

I have an Android app that reminds me to take my meds, but that app make you set a time to take them.  I don't need a specific time or to be reminded per se,I just need to check off a list.

I'll use the table format and then have a blank one that I copy into a To-Do for each week.  That should work!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

...the authors might disagree...

I disagree with this statement  :P

I use my own tailor-made system in WorkFlowy in tandem with iOS reminders. You can't beat recurring reminders at specific times/ locations... plus one can dictate your reminders whether on iPhone or Android no matter where you are on your phone: "Remind me to take my meds at midday".

Frank, you disagree with "the authors might disagree" ???   :D

Your system sounds great, but Evernote ALONE cannot do that.  

That was really my point above.

Evernote does NOT support:

1. Recurring reminders
  2. Location based reminders

Your statement "Remind me to take my meds at midday" sounds like a Siri or Android Assistant (?) command.

@Jmichael,

that's another way of saying that I agree with you about the workaround thing. Nope - Evernote cannot do such basics. Perhaps in the future.

Yep - on iPhone it's a Siri command... but I know that people can also dictate reminders on Android via Google Now.

• Like 1

We've built a todo web app called lanes.io and we're about to try solve this problem. We'll pull in any items from EN that have reminders or un-ticked checkboxes. You can stack these in a column or assign them a day on the weekview board. 

Curently being developed - should be launched soon. 

I am astounded that EN hasn't yet implemented recurring notes, it is a feature on even the most simple of apps. I read here a number of suggestions for using other apps for that purpose but I don't want to use several apps when EN covers so many other functions.

When they are regularly releasing new features, I don't understand why this feature isn't included, particularly when the basic reminder is already there.

I found using FollowUpThen with Evernote is the easiest and most functional way to create recurring reminders.

1.  Create note in EN as you normally would.  Then, use the "copy note link" feature in EN for the note you want to reoccur.

2.  Paste the EN link in the FollowUpThen email (with necessary FUT recipe) or you can create on the FUT website.  I think the website is the easier.

3.  Use "Add by URL" feature to add FUT (url in on FUT website) to your Google calendar (or probably other calendar apps) and now your recurring reminder shows up on your Google Calendar.

4.  Click on the EN link in the FUT email you get at your selected time and date of your reminder and now you have direct access to all the EN features you have associated with that note.

I like this method the best since can setup the reminder at anytime and not limited to the day before restriction.

• Level 5*

I don't like to see the tone of some of these messages.  It's one thing too ask for a feature.  However it's sad to berate or belittle Evernote staff. The feature may be important to you; however that doesn't mean it's important for the product.

And the comments that state how simple it would be to implement the request. That doesn't seem to intelligent.

If you need recurring reminders right now, use an alternate product.  I use The Apple Remider feature. As to the task management comments, Evernote is adequate for me.  If I needed additional features, I would use an alternate product but I would want it to interface with my Evernote data.

I use Evernote for brief notes, but for me its main strength is as a digital filing cabinet.

• Like 2

That's great David, as long as it suits you, the rest of us can go to hell. Some people would prefer to use the one app for several functions rather than use several apps. Apart from that, the Evernote team said almost 2 years ago that they would include this in a future release, of course, they didn't say how far into the future.

That's great David, as long as it suits you, the rest of us can go to hell. Some people would prefer to use the one app for several functions rather than use several apps. Apart from that, the Evernote team said almost 2 years ago that they would include this in a future release, of course, they didn't say how far into the future.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, ralphd said:

Some people would prefer to use the one app for several functions rather than use several apps.

Right.  From the forums you can see that people want Evernote to do Task Management, Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Hand Writing and so on.

Its ok to ask for features, I'm just saying be polite.

I agree that one should be polite, the feature requested is an extension of what is already part of Evernote, ie reminders, if repeating reminders was something Evernote didn't want to include, they shouldn't have said that they would include it.

• Level 5*

Evernote haven't said anything one way or another (and normally don't).  Maybe its a matter of conflicting priorities - expanding on @David_Low's point,  the former head of tech support at Evernote has said - about something else - 

...in May of 2014, there were thousands of unique feature requests from customers for improvements and enhancements to Evernote.
Better versioning, real-time multi-user editing, enhanced formatting options , better print formatting and options, etc.
None of them are "technically" easy to implement across multiple platforms...

Greetings,

I've been using Google Keep to set recurring reminders based on Evernote task planning. It has worked like a charm so far with my workflow, and you can even send them to Evernote, to remind that you have completed them, or to remind you to add them to your planning note. Another option, already mentioned here, is to use Sunrise Calendar. Although I use Sunrise also, I find it faster to manage recurring reminders via Keep. FollowUpThem is interesting, but Keep covers for all my needs with a simpler and neat interface.

• Like 1

Thank you gcg79 for bringing Keep to my attention, I wasn't aware of it and it will do the job nicely. As it seems that the Evernote team have no intention of adding recurring reminders, I now have no reason to keep it.

• Level 5*

I agree.  I have regular meetings at various intervals,  and annual events like insurance renewals and birthdays,  all of which live in a third-party app at present,  because Evernote doesn't believe they exist.  Click the vote button above if you agree!

• Like 3

Yeah, this was ignored for way too long, and Evernote is just not the unique company it once was. I am sorry to have to move on, but I don't feel Evernote prioritized the things that users needed instead of backpacks and note pads.

No recurring reminders in Evernote.

If you own a mobile device... say, an iPhone (which is always at hand)... you could tell Siri:

• "Remind me every month on the 15th at 9 AM to water the plants."
    • It's locked in forever. 
    • It literally takes 4-5 seconds to set up.

A couple of weeks ago I told Siri,

• "Remind me every Tuesday evening at 9 PM that there's a new episode of Better Call Saul"
    • NOTE: She hasn't let me down yet.

Evernote couldn't  beat that... even it they did have recurring reminders. And does it matter that it's not in Evernote?

NB: Android has similar solutions.

The freaking plants.PNG

EDIT:  Waaaiiiit a minute! Something tells me this thread might be an April fool's joke...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, ChristianK said:

I have chosen plants that fortunately only need to be watered once a month. I would like to have a recurring task in Evernote to do this. How do I set up a recurring task?

As @Frank.dg said, Evernote doesn't have a recurring task feature
I'm not too thrilled with Evernote reminders and instead use dedicated apps (better notification features)

If I were to use Evernote Reminders, I would either

• Reset the reminder date manually as part of my procedure
  • Write a script to automatically reset the reminder
    I already run a daily script in the morning so it would be easy to add to it.

I handle daily tasks by checkbox items permanently listed on my daily journal template. This is what I work from during the day.

• Like 1
On 4/1/2016 at 7:57 AM, Frank.dg said:

And does it matter that it's not in Evernote?

To me sometimes it does.  I suspect this depends on the person and the task.    Otherwise, I agree with every else that @Frank.dg and @DTLow said.

At the risk of this being an April fool's joke, you *could* put a recurring calendar entry in a Google calendar and use something like IFTTT to create it in Evernote.

• Like 2

I have an android phone and use google keep for this sort of task.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Evernote, but it's lack of this feature left me searching and Google Keep is very simple and easy to use.  I think someone mentioned that apple also has a tasks feature on the iphone if you're on that platform.  Keep is pretty simple and basic compared to evernote, but if all you need is a reminder, you don' t need anything fancy. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, beingMK. said:

How to set recurring reminders I just can't find it anywhere or I don't know how to set them up, any help?

Recurring reminders is not supported in Evernote.

from writing songs, movie scripts, DIY projects around the house, keeping life in general organized, I would love to see the ability after adding a note to set multiple reminder dates all within one app - Evernote! (yes I need an extra push sometimes as I can get off track on different projects)

talk about a time saver?

it falls within the spirit of the app and its users....!

I may be wrong, but now I have to reset a reminder every time it actuates?

Daily - weekly - monthly would be awesome as choices, along with annually for some.

and a "stop" button as well - to kill all future reminders.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

Workaround.  I create a recurring reminder using FollowUpThen and paste the note link in the reminder.  Then I receive a reminder email at the appointed time and click the link to see the note.  Would also prefer to have recurring in EN, but in the meantime...  FWIW.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, mdsd77 said:

I may be wrong, but now I have to reset a reminder every time it actuates?
Daily - weekly - monthly would be awesome as choices, along with annually for some.

A single note?
Just wondering because the note also stores the completion date/time

I could write a script to do this automatically, possibly triggered when I mark the reminder completed.

I currently keep my recurring reminders separate in the Apple Reminder/Calendar apps.  I also prefer their notification features .

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, DTLow said:

So, just a single note?
Just wondering because the note also stores the completion date/time

Since it is a date specific recurring reminder, be it day of week or day of month, completion date is less critical, to me anyway. 

if it were critical I would no doubt use my PhaseExpress hot key to to put _Completed 06/07/2016 07:45 AM in the note in a systematic fashion.  I created this hot key since I like to see the completed date without working too hard and there are only so many columns you can see in side list view.  If completed date was visible pre V6 I missed it.  :(

• Like 1