How do you add a device to your account?

Zedesl

I have read all available Evernote information regarding authorized devices on the I have the basic Plan.  I am allowed to have 2 devices max and needed to delete a device so I could add my iPhone to the authorized devices in my account. All I was able to find were directions on how to delete/revoke devices but nothing on how to add devices to your account.  Any info you can share to accomplish the above, will be greatly appreciated. 

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I still don't see a link or an option where it says "add device". I just see the revoke option. It. At be staring me in the face but I can't find it. On an iPhone screen, where can I find it?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mercedes

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Zedesl said:

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I still don't see a link or an option where it says "add device". I just see the revoke option. It. At be staring me in the face but I can't find it. On an iPhone screen, where can I find it?

My understanding is that you just sign in to Evernote.  Your device will automatically be added to the list.  That's how your devices were added to the current list.

For basic accounts, you have to make sure there's room in the list; by revoking a device

"If you have two devices connected and log in on a third,  you'll see an option screen so you can disconnect one or the other to use this new one."

Quote taken from gazumped on this thread:

Also don't forget you can still log in to the web version of Evernote on a third device in addition to your existing two devices.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 27, 2016 at 10:32 PM, Zedesl said:

I have read all available Evernote information regarding authorized devices on the I have the basic Plan.  I am allowed to have 2 devices max and needed to delete a device so I could add my iPhone to the authorized devices in my account. All I was able to find were directions on how to delete/revoke devices but nothing on how to add devices to your account.  Any info you can share to accomplish the above, will be greatly appreciated. 

On August 28, 2016 at 8:48 PM, DTLow said:

My understanding is that you just sign in to Evernote.  Your device will automatically be added to the list.  That's how your devices were added to the current list.

For basic accounts, you have to make sure there's room in the list; by revoking a device

So, its not very clear. On your computer (I have a macbook pro) there is an icon for the App Store. Look for a blue circle with a white A made from a brush, a pencil, and a ruler, inside it. Open the App Store by clicking on it. Search Evernote. Once you find it, you should be able to choose it and install it on your device. (Unless you are using the Basic service and already have it on two devices.) Once you install it, open it and sign in to your account. The app should appear in your application folder; it also put an Evergreen icon in the top tool (?) bar of my computer, as well as in my dock. Hope that helps. Evernote could definitely explain this better and make it easier to add a device.

• Level 5*
On September 9, 2016 at 5:41 AM, lisabd@bellsouth.net said:

So, its not very clear. On your computer (I have a macbook pro) there is an icon for the App Store. Look for a blue circle with a white A made from a brush, a pencil, and a ruler, inside it. Open the App Store by clicking on it. Search Evernote. Once you find it, you should be able to choose it and install it on your device. (Unless you are using the Basic service and already have it on two devices.) Once you install it, open it and sign in to your account. The app should appear in your application folder; it also put an Evergreen icon in the top tool (?) bar of my computer, as well as in my dock. Hope that helps. Evernote could definitely explain this better and make it easier to add a device.

Your instructions were for  How to install Evernote software on a device

You can install the software on many devices
The "add a device to your account" only applies when you execute the application and log into your account

• 2 months later...

I think I just found out how to do this - I also just use the basic service so I deactivated the access for my old computer. Then, if you log in online, you will see the option to "download" evernote in your account settings. Do this on your new device and that's the job done. That is what I did on my mac. Hope this helps. 

• 7 months later...

This is frustrating. Like the others here, I only find instructions to remove/revoke a device, not add. Some say to simply install it. Well, it IS installed on my phone (2nd device), but my notes don't sync to it.

When EN took away the ability to use this across devices (basic version), I chose my desktop and phone, but have not been able to get my notes to sync to my phone. So I was at a meeting the other day and had no access to my notes. :(

I also discovered Evernote web, but...  it's not compatible with my Android phone. So... double frustration for the software that I used to love. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Felicia said:

This is frustrating. Like the others here, I only find instructions to remove/revoke a device, not add.

For me, I simply add Evernote software to my device
I then log in (userid/password)

For the device limitation on Basic accounts, I make sure I only have one active device listed
The new device slots into the open place on the device list

• 5 weeks later...

Hello- I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd add to this since I'm having a similar problem.

I have a MacBook pro, MacBook air, and an iPhone. The MacBook air was recovered via Migration assistant FROM my MacBook pro. Thus, Evernote thinks these are the same computer. I have a paid account and would like to add my MBA. I've tried logging out and back in, but Evernote still thinks this is my MacBook Pro (its not).

Any way around this?

Thanks!

• Level 5*

29 minutes ago, wphall said:

Evernote thinks these are the same computer.

For me, Evernote identifies devices by the computer name597532cc92e0e_ScreenShot2017-07-23at16_33_52.png.2816ead3e14d0a29c92d2d4c12b13783.png
I assigned mine in Preferences > Sharing

Is this important for a paid account?
My impression is that it will not impact Evernote

Good point and I should have mentioned. I double checked my sharing/computer name and they are different.

As for Evernote: I don't really know since I'm pretty novice at Evernote, but it is interesting. Right now, I have 3 devices, but Evernote thinks there are only 2. The reason I paid for an account is a) I believe in paying for services I use and b ) I'm using 3 physical devices. I would think that EN sync services would eventually create a problem since it thinks 1 machine with two completely different time stamps are trying to write/overwrite data. But sync services aren't my speciality

It seems as though Evernote is pulling machine identifiers in some unique way and it has assigned some sort of identity within the library somewhere.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I am having the same problem, I got one device to register for my gt.n5110 but can't get the second device to register. I have the basic. So I logged in but nothing happened, I updated logged in and still it won't register my Motorola g4play android phone. It only shows the 5110 tablet. What am I doing wrong?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, linda getz said:

So I logged in but nothing happened, I updated logged in and still it won't register my Motorola g4play android phone. It only shows the 5110 tablet.

I'm never concerned about devices "registering".  I just log on and use the device

If I wanted to check registered devices, I can go to account settings > Manage Devices
This page shows my device list, and allows me to revoke access to unused devices

5a2ac5d74a0d1_ScreenShot2017-12-08at09_02_23.png.a8339bee7caa86a9d630000bdd39ea4c.png

So this is what I ended up doing. I logged out because the little green arrow showed that my notes uploaded but when I logged back in all my notes were gone but at least I both devices are listed now. Thanks DTLow for responding.  My only question is where did my notes go?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, linda getz said:

My only question is where did my notes go?

The master version of your notes is maintained on the servers.  They can be viewed using the web platform (www.evernote.com)

This is the window that came up when I tried to log in.

Evernote Service is unavailable
Possible reasons:

We may be performing regular system maintenance (typically Wednesday evenings, US Pacific time)
    We may be experiencing unexpected problems that require a brief outage

In either case, we are working to restore access to the Evernote Service as quickly as possible.

Maybe this is why I'm having trouble.

?  anyway I'm giving up for awhile it's too frustrating.

OK here is my problem. I have a basic account and I used to have 2 devices registered in my account. I was using them without any issue simultaneously.  Recently I had to  change  my laptop so  I wanted to remove my old laptop as a device and add the new one. But I did the wrong thing and revoked the address of my new laptop. As a consequence I can start the evernote app in my new laptop but not able to do anything with it. All menu items are grey and I don't see any notebook nor a note :(.  Is there a way to recover a revoked address? Because simply login to add a device does not work in this case. 

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Aliye Kurumlu said:

But I did the wrong thing and revoked the address of my new laptop.

Not sure what process you used.  I go to Manage Devices in my account settings and I see all the devices assigned to my account
This is where I revoke access

>>not able to do anything with it. All menu items are grey and I don't see any notebook nor a note

I see this as a separate issue

I don't spend a lot of time troubleshooting my devices/  My process would be

1. Reboot my device; it solves many issues
  2. Delete and Reinstall the app
  3. Delete the app and database and Reinstall
    The database will be rebuilt from the servers.  Warning, the rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

Hi DTLLow,

thanks for the answer. I manage revoking the address via Devices as well. There is for each device an active link (revoke access) you can click on it.  

i have already tried removing app and reinstalling again. It did not help. I can not delete the database of the app because I have a lot of valuable data.  Any other opinion :)

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Aliye Kurumlu said:

I can not delete the database of the app because I have a lot of valuable data. 

Take note that you're using a cloud service.  The master version of your data is stored on the servers at Evernote.  
A copy of your data is maintained on your Mac.

Its a good practice to backup your data.  You can rename your database instead of deleting it.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Aliye Kurumlu said:

Any other opinion

Still the same.  Go to the web version and manage your devices there.  Delete all but one and you should be able to sign in to your new laptop.  The web doesn't count, so you can have access to 2 devices and the browser version at the same time.

• 8 months later...

I am a physician whose staff bills Medicare, so I'm used to obtuse support.

Intuit (Quickbooks) is second only to Microsoft Office with unhelpful help.

Log into Evernote and go to help. Type in "add device" and voila! NOTHING comes up. Who would want to add a device? Anybody? ANYbody?

It turns out that if you have a premium account and login with a new device, it is automatically added.

Evernote's productivity saves so much time that I was able to spend 30 minutes searching for this answer without losing any productivity.

Thanks for such excellent support Evernote! Now, get back to your other job; promoting Evernote's fine features.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, Warroad Warrior said:

Who would want to add a device? Anybody? ANYbody?

I'm not clear why the concern to add a device.  I simply login to my account and access my data.

>>It turns out that if you have a premium account and login with a new device, it is automatically added.

There is a device list and it's automatically updated for all accounts.  Web access is not counted.

• Level 5*
On 9/9/2018 at 11:28 AM, corking411@gmail.com said:

I've revoked all unnecessary devices except for the current android I'm using, however I want to add my old android device and don't know how to. 

You don't "add" devices.  Just install the Evernote software and log into your account.

Evernote looks after tracking the devices using your account.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived