Heading 1, Heading 2 etc

Chris Ridgeway

Idea

New premium user here. Realized that standardize formatting headings are missing and was surprised. Makes formatting much easier.

I want to think about my content, not remember if I manually made the previous heading a 12, 14, or 18. 

(Please let me know if I'm missing something!)

• Like 3

30 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're missing headings,  certainly.  There are various add-ins which allow you to format your content more effectively than the Evernote standard,  and if you can use Markdown,  there are additional apps which might help like Marxico:  https://marxi.co/

Evernote is still developing its editing features,  so more will be available;  but for the moment what you see is all you got.

Thanks for confirming the missing feature. It's such a core basic idea I hadn't thought to search for it in a mature product that has so many other "extras." Hope this doesn't mar my big switch to Evernote!

Thanks for the markdown tip.  Markdown to me is nice but may be overkill. I'll check that service out.

What add-ins are you referring to? is there a place to take a look at options?

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Chris Ridgeway said:

Thanks for confirming the missing feature. It's such a core basic idea 

For sure; a core basic idea for a Word Processing application.

As you found out, the Evernote editor is more suited to creating ..... notes

EN has added WP features, and might consider your request if it gets enough votes.

If you wish, I can move your request from the Mac forum to the all platform request forum.

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

For sure; a core basic idea for a Word Processing application

Actually the entire web. :)  H1, H2... is basic document structure for html xml, etc right? This separates the content from the details of formatting (choosing a font, etc). CSS

Thanks though.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Chris Ridgeway said:

Actually the entire web. :)  H1, H2... is basic document structure for html xml, etc right? This separates the content from the details of formatting (choosing a font, etc). CSS

That would be my preference as to how EN implement headings; it would conform with the underlying html format, and would preserve formatting on imports and exports

Headings for Evernote notes!!!

I can't understand why this basic feature is still not implemented!

Notes are showing different font sizes on different operating systems - so one has to remember the custom format of headlines when editing on Windows and Mac.

It would be totally easy to structure content of notes with headings h1, h2, h3... Why the hell is EN forcing us to do this with inline font sizes??

Dropbox Paper's editing tool works with headings from the very beginning - why is Evernote still refusing to provide the most basic formatting element in HTML?

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

More difficult than it seems,  apparently,  when you're trying to deliver the same standards across multiple operating systems.  First you have to write a common edit module that works,  integrate it into your various clients,  and sort out any issues that causes;  then you can add features like styles. 

The project has been running for a couple of years I believe - Windows,  Android and Mac (I think) all have the new editor,  and iOS recently got theirs.  Progress is being made...

But what about Dropbox Paper? Still beta, but headings  are working nicely on all platforms. Sure, Dropbox Paper has a different editor, but at least it proves that it's not impossible to be implemented. I see no reason why it should be so complicated to insert a simple HTML tag into the HTML source code.

When Evernote grabs the content of a website, you can see all the heading tags in the source code. You can edit the eported .enex file with a text editor and add heading tags by hand! So why should Evernote's editor not be able to do the same?

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Michael Singer said:

Headings for Evernote notes!!!

I can't understand why this basic feature is still not implemented!

I'm thinking it's a question of priorities; development work is focused on the top priorities.

We can influence this by voting using the vote buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion

More difficult than it seems

Respectfully, there are threads requesting this basic feature since 2011. 

I'm thinking it's a question of priorities

Respectfully, the processing of taking the notes is the core experience, and yet, seems to be the most ignored by Evernote. As a paying customer, this frustrates me as well. 

One gripe about the forums, is that the Gurus seem (IMO) to spend too much time making excuses for Evernote or telling people why they are wrong (e.g. "For sure; a core basic idea for a Word Processing application. As you found out, the Evernote editor is more suited to creating ..... notes"   ....  as if creating/organizing notes has nothing to do with headings/ToC/etc.. People don't just create notes, and then never look at them again. They create notes to later find/read them. Styling/etc. helps us do that.)

While I do appreciate people taking the time to *help* us solve problems, opinions about why Evernote is justified in taking 5+ years to develop core features, or why those aren't really core features, doesn't really help us in any way.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, sker said:

One gripe about the forums

I have no problem with users submitting submitting featue requests.  It's one of the purposes for these forums.  I added my vote to this request

I have a problem with users specifying the "core experience";
the users who demand that their feature MUST be implemented
and then go on to state how simple it is to implement the feature

Really? paying customers have no insight into what the core experience is?

Evernote is a note taking product. That's their core experience, and the editor is a key element in that. I don't understand how that's a controversial thing to say?

Styling/headers/etc. isn't necessarily a one-off feature that a select few want.

I didn't state it was simple, I stated that it's not 5 years worth of work.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, sker said:

Evernote is a note taking product. That's their core experience

I'm a paying customer, and for me Evernote is a digital file product
I use it to store and retrieve my documents
I find the editor adequate for notes; for serious writing I use dedicated apps

for me Evernote is a digital file product

Ok, fair enough, that's what you use it for.

But please show me where on the Evernote home page they describe the product as a digital filing system? They don't. It's a product for taking notes. That's what the name describes, that's what they describe it is on their website.

Sure. they have features for files, pdfs, etc.. I use them too. Their great (when they work).

But they don't advertise Evernote as a digital filing system.

I find the editor adequate for notes; for serious writing I use dedicated apps

So the "serious" note takers, people who take notes for work, school, etc., people who might have different subsets/topics within a single 'note', might want an outline of the note,  those people should probably find a better product? Those people aren't the target audience for Evernote? 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, sker said:

Those people aren't the target audience for Evernote? 

I'd agree with that.  

If the basic editor features are adequate, use the Evernote editor; otherwise switch to a dedicated app.  

Evernote works well with Office/iWork documents

Ok, fair enough.

But I wonder if the Evernote team would agree with you that Evernote is not for 'serious' note takers.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that it's probably the case, by the way that Evernote Team doesn't seem to focus on the process of actually taking notes.

But happy to admit when I'm wrong and move on. Thank you for your feedback and insight.

On 8/27/2016 at 1:37 AM, Chris Ridgeway said:

New premium user here. Realized that standardize formatting headings are missing and was surprised. Makes formatting much easier.

I want to think about my content, not remember if I manually made the previous heading a 12, 14, or 18. 

(Please let me know if I'm missing something!)

2020 and still not implemented? Am I missing sth?

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, rudabaugh said:

Hi.  It's not like we were expecting Evernote to suddenly re-invent Word as an update - did you see the CEO's 2020 briefing?

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, rudabaugh said:

This feature request doesn't seem to have much interest
Current user votes are 13 (upper left corner of the discussion)

As per @gazumped; I use a word processing editor for such features

On 2/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, rudabaugh said:

If I understand the request properly, this is indeed already implemented in the new (beta) web client, and on the way on other platforms.

As for those who think that headings only belong in Word, I think the consensus across almost all other note-taking apps shows that enough users value headings as a way to add some structure (not formatting perhaps but structure). Off the top of my head:

• Apple Notes
  • OneNote
  • Dropbox Paper
  • Bear
  • IAWriter
  • Drafts
  • Ulysses
  • Notion
  • All the other Markdown apps
  • Not Google Keep though?

As for the perennial argument that if we like those other apps so much then we should just move to them, I guess these forums would be a pretty boring place if we never posted any constructive feedback. One can like Evernote a lot and still want the core product to improve. I think sometimes people underestimate product managers' thick-skinned-ness and willingness to listen.

But as I say, I think what the OP wanted is already there in the web app and on the way elsewhere.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Joe Pairman said:

As for those who think that headings only belong in Word

I think this might be directed at me and my comment "I use a word processing editor for such features"
I do not think headings "only belong in Word"
- My vote is included in the 14 votes for this feature (top left corner of the discussion)
I know that headings are supported in the note's underlying html code

Until this is implemented, I use work-arounds to obtain such features

>>I think what the OP wanted is already there in the web app and on the way elsewhere
Confirmed - Headings are currently being tested in the web beta version (I'm one of the beta testers)
This is the standard h1/h2/h3 html tags 
<en-note> <h1>Heading Large</h1> <h2>Heading Medium</h2> <h3>Heading Small</h3> </en-note>

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/29/2022 at 8:48 PM, iDAD said:

Any news on this?

Hi.  Evernote don't do 'coming soon' announcements outside of the release notes with each new update.  If you can't see what you need in your current app,  then it's not happened yet...

• Evernote Expert

This is an archived thread for previous releases of the software. 

If you look in the Keyboard shortcut menu for the desktop apps you'll see the keyboard markdown for headings. They've been around for sometime.