Read-Only Option for Notes

alexferen

Idea

Count me among the premium users who would like this option.

I have a good number of notes which are there only for reference purpose, and where I frequently have to copy values out of the note. It's very easy to accidentally paste instead.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you really change it accidentally, you can always use note history to go back to a prior version of the note.

I can look at note history once I catch the error/if I catch the error, sure.

I had one case where I provisioned the wrong source image on half a dozen servers because I'd previously overwritten one UUID with another. One string of 32 base-16 characters looks like another at a glance.

Edit: Also, note history has limitations. It's only captured every eight hours, right? So values entered and destroyed within an 8 hour interval are lost unless the user hasn't closed the note and is able to find it in local undo/redo.

On the whole, "locking" just seems like a helpful feature if there are a good number of users who are using part of Evernote for reference material, not only live docs. It might even make sense to allow Notes to inherit lock status from the Notebook level.

• Like 2

I don't know what the Big Deal is.... merely have a Read-Only (default) toggle in the corner somewhere. 
This would be in parallel with the history.
There may be times when adjustments need to be met, so click on the 'Read Only' toggle to 'Edit Mode' and make your adjustments, then toggle back to 'Read Only'.

The history is still valid; but it shouldn't be the only fallback of an accident.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Goodbye Evernote said:

First asked for in 2011 (10 YEARS AGO), why is this feature still not available?

See ya!! I'm off to OneNote.

Bye - 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 3/25/2021 at 5:00 AM, Goodbye Evernote said:

First asked for in 2011 (10 YEARS AGO), why is this feature still not available?

See ya!! I'm off to OneNote.

I don’t think you’ll have what you’re looking for.  I think you can lock a whole section (in the classroom version) but don’t think you can protect a page. 

On 9/4/2018 at 1:03 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to lock notes and make them read only have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

SO.... THAT WAS 2018, WHAT  IS THE ANSWER NOW? I JUST ACCIDENTALY MODIFIED ONE NOTE.

On 4/23/2021 at 7:58 AM, LuisMMx said:

I can only speak for iOS but we have edit protection. You just need to turn it on. Desktop does not have a specific edit protection, but there are version history‘s on the paid plans. 

C602E301-8E80-49CD-A6F5-44859A6C1298.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Tried edit protection (on mobile, in settings) yet ?

In general there is note history, running for all accounts. Yes, it runs on Free as well.

Just the access is a paid feature - so in case you need to recover a prior version, it is a month of Personal, and you are good to go.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Vojkan Cvijanovic said:

10+ years and you still haven't implemented this simple, but very useful feature. Shame on you Evernote.

? According to other posts in this thread the feature is already available...

• Level 5*

I find the OS 'undo' and Note History functions,  plus my own local backups more than enough anyway,  but if there's no other option,  you could always open another notebook and share the 'protected' notes from one to the other as read only.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Probably it is more the forum software that converts us all into well behaving citizens here … the forum is provider driven.

About changes: In most cases note history allows to undo unwanted changes - especially those that may have happened a while ago.

I am not against a read-only option. I just had up to now no case ever (!) in my years of using EN where this would have done me any good. If a change went wrong, it always was in a note I would not write protect in the first place.

And again, then there is note history, to heal my fat finger syndrome.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

the forum software that converts us all into well behaving citizens here …

I may be reading a different forum...  :D

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I am not against a read-only option. I just had up to now no case ever (!) in my years of using EN where this would have done me any good.

100% agree...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1